As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SchlitzKrieg 2015! Beer-->Here (Brewery Tour):

1235»

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    @LexiconGrrl thanks for all of the information on the breweries, who know this would also be educational.

The very first year we did it, there was a whole guided-tour component that you could follow along with in your tour books. This year is way simpler than that, but there will still be a lot of fun learning stuff. We're geeks, we like to learn, right?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Oh dammit all....

Both Boundary Bay and Aslan have their own root beers.

Welp. Looks like I'm eating at both.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    tac042tac042 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'd like a little advice from the locals. A friend and I are driving up from SoCal, but my PAX hotel reservation isn't until Wednesday night. Staying in Portland the night before seemed like a bit of a long drive for the morning of the SchlitzKrieg, so I was looking to stay somewhere <45 min from the convention center for Tuesday night. Then we can check our bags at the hotel downtown, park the car for the weekend, and meet you guys for the Schlitzing without getting up before the sun.

So my question is... what's a good place to stay? Requirements are a hotel/motel of any quality, good local beer within walking distance, and <45 minutes to the convention center in weekday morning traffic.

tac042 on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Near the University isn't bad. The College Inn is simple but cheap, and there's a Travel Lodge up there too. Whatever you do, don't stay in a hotel on Aurora. If you do, sleep on the floor.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    tac042tac042 Registered User regular
    College Inn it is. Thanks!

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Since it came up, discussion of emulators is not permitted on these forums.

• Options
    Thanks, Z. Didn't know.

The HDMI cable has been installed though, so we're a go for laptop, @Decius.

• Options
    Brewery Profile: Boundary Bay Brewery and Bistro
    Size: Micro

One of the first small breweries in Bellingham, Boundary Bay has grown to be a fairly large and popular local destination. This is one of the final two stops on the tour, and one of the breweries with a restaurant large enough to handle our group. With a 90 minute stop in Bellingham, there will be time to visit one or both.

Their full service restaurant serves up terrific fresh daily specials carefully constructed to pair with their core and seasonal brews. Even though they've grown into a fairly large location, there is still a strong focus on small batches and the brewers have a lot of freedom to do tiny experimental releases.

From their website: "We have seven taps devoted to our house brews that are always on tap, year round. The other taps we devote to our seasonal brews, and limited batch releases like the beers of our Galbraith Mountain Series, our single hop ales, and our small batch beers that we only brew rarely. We always have two cask beers pouring from our orginal cask engine, too. "

d8saocmxm717.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Brewery Profile: Aslan Brewing Co.
    Size: Micro

Our last brewery, Aslan Brewing is located in Bellingham, a small historic timber and port town that has become a bustling college city during more modern years. With a substantial young, liberal, college population, it's not difficult to find natural food coops, drum circles and crystal deodorant next to historically preserved 19th century buildings and logging museums.

In the Spirit of Bellingham, Aslan produces 100% organic brews and food in their restaurant. It's hippie beer named after Lion Jesus and has quickly become a popular spot with tourists and locals alike. With a commitment to sustainable practices and supporting local farmers, they also happen to make some killer brews that are delicious and guilt free.

Check out their website for some super cool educational visuals on the brewing process. My personal fave is how they list off which hops were used in each beer.
    kt95wtajrwy5.jpg

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    Oh hai! ex23bb7u31rz.jpg
    j7tpuzb7kjqy.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    03yweab5c6at.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    I do hope that somebody here still gets notifications for this thread, because that was easily the best tour trip, let alone DRINKING tour trip, I have ever attended. I would strongly suggest using the party bus again. I thought it was comfortable, and partying @LexiconGrrl > working @LexiconGrrl .

Also, Aesir Meadery shall be a yearly stop. I so decree.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    @WuShock you were all awesome humans and every one of you is welcome back in my shop anytime. 8-)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I didn't get a chance to say this earlier, but I had an AWESOME time on the tour! I'm very fortunate to have had the company of such a great group. See you all next year!

ClannMorgan on