As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Controllers

VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
So I pretty much steambox exclusively, I run controller companion to get my computer into steam and roll on from the couch. Right now I use an xbox one controller with a looooong usb cable, it works well enough but it's tedious to string the cable around. I've been using the xbox controller method for years now, ever since I thought the console would be a good compliment to my PC. Now with my girlfriend interested in gaming with me, I'm looking at making the switch to wireless.

What would you guys do? Which controllers are looking the most promising and versatile for using not only steam big picture, but playing most games and navigating around the desktop from time to time to select movies, music, browse youtube etc, all from the couch (without a keyboard and mouse). I'm open to whatever option is comfortable, usable (I don't want to spend an hour setting up control schemes for every game), and cost effective. Can the xbox one reciever that is coming this fall handle multiple controllers? What does the DS4 use as a receiver? Does anyone have a good link to reviews of the final release version of the steam controller??

PS4vsXBOXONE_08.jpg

gbilvw22llnfpawpgkqs.jpg

Varinn on

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    If you want a no-nonsense controller that just works, your choices are basically Microsoft controllers right now. I can't find any official confirmation whether or not the upcoming XB1 wireless receiver will support multiple controllers; I imagine that there's no reason why it wouldn't (especially considering the 360 receiver did), but I'm not going to make a definitive statement. Oh, and the receiver is officially going to require Windows 10, if that's going to be a problem.

The PS4 controller is a fine piece of hardware, and it is actually a plug-and-play controller as far as PCs are concerned. But since most games nowadays are Xinput or bust, that means you're going to have to load up wrappers for games to actually use it, save for some games that can take any generic controller or handful of titles that specifically recognize a PS4 pad. Wireless is done through Bluetooth, but, again, that is going to require unofficial drivers and hacks to work.

The Steam controller is the big wildcard, and could be the alternative to the defacto monopoly MS has on PC gamepads, especially when you're looking to take control of ultra-PC games that have no gamepad support whatsoever. Early reports are positive about it and the price is competitive, but since it's not out yet and gone through the gauntlet of mass real-use scrutiny, it's really hard to recommend it over the XB1 pad right now. It's totally something to keep an eager eye on though, for sure.

Zxerol on
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    The Xbox 360 wireless controller with the wireless PC dongle works like a champ, for up to 4 wireless controllers. Just plug in the wireless dongle to your PC, pair each controller to the dongle, and that's it. The necessary 360 drivers come already installed in Windows 7 and 8. If you need to interact with your desktop or browser, buy Controller Companion from Steam, which basically lets you use your controller as a mouse and keyboard. This is pretty much my gaming setup, as wireless controllers rule for almost all non-FPS/non-StreetFighter style games.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    There is only one XBone controller, right? The controller you have will do wireless as well?

Rumor is that MS will be releasing a wireless PC dongle soon. I assume you'll be able to get a bundle with another controller. I would wait for that since you already have one of those.

EDIT: Ignore me, apparently it will only work with Windows 10.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    I'm already on Windows 10 and running controller companion. In the way of xbox controllers I do prefer the xb1 over 360 so I might hold out and see if the new receiver supports 2+.

I am also going to keep watching the steam controller on release, see how it looks

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Just FYI, the XBox 360 wireless dongle for the PC only costs $15. If you already have 360 controllers lying around, it's a cheap way to do wireless for the next few months, while you're waiting for the XBox One dongle to ship.

Edit for Gaslight: I'm off by a few dollars. Authentic ones from Microsoft seem to go for about $18-$20 on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000HZFCT2/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Second edit: I used the Steam controller at PAX East. Not impressed. Touchpads handle really weird. Maybe they'll fix it by release, but their prototype in April certainly felt like strange to use. Loved the paddle buttons though, but the new XBox One Elite controller will have that one too.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    Just FYI, the XBox 360 wireless dongle for the PC only costs $15.

Where? From what I've seen it's hard to find any besides the Chinese knockoffs now.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »

Where? From what I've seen it's hard to find any besides the Chinese knockoffs now.

Last I heard the only way you can get it not bundled with a controller is one of the knock-off models. MS stopped selling it on it's own years ago.

Edit: That amazon one Hsu linked is one of the fakes, but they do work.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I can't stand the joystick placement on the XBOX controllers; the PS setup of having the joysticks together works much, much better for me. It basically led to me getting a PS4 rather than an XBONE, and it means that I currently use a PS4 controller for PC gaming. I use a wrapper program called InputMapper, I pair the controller over Bluetooth, and works well enough for the most part.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The 360 and xbox One controllers are working perfect for me right now with 10. When I know someone who gets the Steam controller I'll see if I can play with it but I hate how it looks

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I'm currently using a PS3 controller on Win10 and (hopefully soon) Archlinux. It can be a real pain in the ass, and it seems like I'm contactly reinstalling the xinput wrapper in Win10, so I would advise against the PS4 controller because you'll have the same issue.

I'm going to be first in line on Oct 16 for the Steam Controller pre-release. I'll definitely post results once I give it a go.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »

Last I heard the only way you can get it not bundled with a controller is one of the knock-off models. MS stopped selling it on it's own years ago.

Edit: That amazon one Hsu linked is one of the fakes, but they do work.

They work, but they do have problems autodetecting the correct driver. If I ever unplug mine and put it in a different port I have to go through and manually select the correct driver for it.
    But other than that it's been perfect.

steam_sig.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I'm currently using a PS3 controller on Win10 and (hopefully soon) Archlinux. It can be a real pain in the ass, and it seems like I'm contactly reinstalling the xinput wrapper in Win10, so I would advise against the PS4 controller because you'll have the same issue.

I'm going to be first in line on Oct 16 for the Steam Controller pre-release. I'll definitely post results once I give it a go.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for your wrapper? I've updated to 10 recently and I've had zero issues with my ps3 controller. I'm using the scarlet crush drivers, and I didn't even need to reinstall them after the update; everything was working fine fresh out of the upgrade.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I'm currently using a PS3 controller on Win10 and (hopefully soon) Archlinux. It can be a real pain in the ass, and it seems like I'm constantly reinstalling the xinput wrapper in Win10, so I would advise against the PS4 controller because you'll have the same issue.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for your wrapper? I've updated to 10 recently and I've had zero issues with my ps3 controller. I'm using the scarlet crush drivers, and I didn't even need to reinstall them after the update; everything was working fine fresh out of the upgrade.

I'm using scarlet crush as well. I've since changed over to using Linux more than Windows, so I'm having even more issues with the PS3 controller over Bluetooth.

Sometimes you just can't win.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    @Descendant X You might try updating to the newest version, which is here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-ScpToolkit-XInput-Wrapper-aka-ScpServer-Reloaded

Scarlet Crush hasn't been around in awhile so someone else on the same forums took over the project.

LD50 wrote: »
    @Descendant X You might try updating to the newest version, which is here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-ScpToolkit-XInput-Wrapper-aka-ScpServer-Reloaded

Scarlet Crush hasn't been around in awhile so someone else on the same forums took over the project.

I did, but since I've gone over to Linux I've not really tested whether or not it fixed my problem. I'm basically just waiting for the Steam controller now, as I did an early pre-order.