As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    Arrghghghlllbbgerergdjsljjl why do they have all these apps clustered behind their idiotic portal thing, haven't they learned in the last 20 years how shitty these things are to navigate?? Do they test any of this on humans before deploying it? Do they even employ any humans any more, or is it all crystalline essence nodes that mimic sentience by remembering their original ghost dimension in a way that can sometimes appear to resemble original thoughts, all sitting in office chairs and developing perplexing user interfaces? SE, why do you try so hard to make me hate you?!?!!

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Yukira wrote: »
    that's totally fair

i think what he goes through in the sequels is interesting enough for me to overlook what you're talking about though

I'll play through 13-2 after this and see if that changes my mind.

Hope is the best character in 13-2, and I enjoyed every time he was onscreen.

I swear I'm not crazy.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I think I gotta put Phantasy Star 4 to bed for now

I'll throw myself at FF13 again with no expectation of my wife following along, maybe I'll get somehting out of that

sacred stoooooooonessss

(or heroes of light and shadow but that takes some work to set up)

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    turtleant wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Is 13-2 any good? I remember basically feeling the same about FFX, but X-2 did much better in that regard

Yes and no.

You have a full party from the start, and a good bit more freedom to explore and such.

But the story is fucking incomprehensible, even by Final Fantasy standards, and your third party slot is filled by monsters you recruit. Which is neat early on but, eventually the monsters way out pace your regular party members which I hated. There are a lot of abilities that your party members never get access to, which means training a bunch of monsters.

Also you're probably going to want to drop a few bucks on DLC because Sarah's default costume is horrible.

The DLC is included in the Steam version.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Nier 2
    Good luck. SE account management is a fucking nightmare. Their security is more stringent than my bank. I eventually wound up abandoning my FFXI and FFXIV accounts entirely and just cancelling the cards they were billed from, because they wouldn't let me reset my password unless I could remember the phone number I'd originally set up the account under, which was a land line at a college apartment I only lived in for six months, in another state, thirteen years ago.

:bigfrown:

Well, I've had the same home phone number for like 15 years now and the same cell number since I got a smart phone so that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully.

It turns out I did put a software token on this account, but it's not working. Keeps saying the password should be letters and numbers, but it just spits out a string of 6 numbers. This phone has been dead on a shelf for over a year, so that might be why.

Fingers crossed I guess, would really like to have my FF14 dude back when I start playing again.

edit: I also found softwar tokens for Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR on this old phone. Good thing I'll probably never play those again.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    After getting through chapter 1 in FF13, I keep running into moments where I think "Yeah, they could do a good JRPG deconstruction with this" and then it just plays it straight and serious.

It really is something of the manifestation of Square's ego and overconfidence.
    Really? I found Snow to be a deconstruction of the typical JRPG hero.
    He's even forced to admit his failures and weaknesses and faults later, though it isn't enough to get him to stop behaving like a complete idiot. This leads to his eventual breakdown and empty existence in XIII-3.
    Javen wrote: »
    Is 13-2 any good? I remember basically feeling the same about FFX, but X-2 did much better in that regard
    It's a mixed bag.

On the plus side:
    • It has the greatest villain in Final Fantasy history. He might be the greatest villain in the JRPG genre.
    • Gameplay systems open immediately.
    • Catching & using monsters is actually really neat. You can get all the classic Final Fantasy beasties, which is pretty wonderful. You don't have to put any real effort into this system, either; sure you can hunt & grind for the rare stuff, manipulate growth & abilities carefully, etc, but you can also get through the entire game and all of its post-content without doing this at all.
    • The battle system is refined. You can specify single or wide target selection, and you can swap between the two human protagonists instead of being stuck with just one manually-controlled character.
    • The music is amazing and weird. Kind of like Bayonetta at times but takes even more risks.
    • Time travel shenanigans like those we haven't seen since Chrono Trigger. It's handled expertly. The wonderful part plot-wise is that your opponent can use them too (this isn't a spoiler).
    • Open-ended! There's tons of optional areas to explore and plenty of side-quests and other objectives if you want to do them. You can blaze through the game quickly (which will be kinda hard actually), or try to 100% everything, which will result in typically easier battles (higher levels, etc) but lots more exploration & time investment.
    • The DLC is really good. The outfits are a bit of a cash-grab, but they're largely great quality-wise, and the others give you optional boss battles & additional characters you can recruit in the monster slot.
    • Noel is a great protagonist. Given his backstory and appearance, I was expecting an intolerable whiny emo-kid. He's surprisingly grounded and has a pretty refreshing personality.
    • Hope is an excellent character in this game (I liked him fine in XIII but his incarnation here is fantastic).
    • Post-game grinding is very tolerable here.
    On the negative side:
    • It's very easy. Unless you go straight through the game and skip all optional areas, you're only going to be challenged by the puzzle aspects.
    • Some of the puzzles are very frustrating, and some hidden things are completely absurd. You need a guide if you want to 100% this.
    • The level-up system is obtuse. It's worse than XIII-1's, which itself only had a fairly mediocre system compared to FF at large.
    • Serah is a poor protagonist. Her original character design never supported an adventure like this, and there's no early arc that convincingly makes her a good heroine.
    • Too many of the battles threw out what was great about XIII's combat system. You'll only really need to use the break gauge against bosses and certain strong enemies; most enemies can be defeated by just outright pounding them with COMs. Since you still heal to full every battle, that means random encounters have lost their edge completely. Most of the time, they're just there to let you have a chance to collect more monsters.
    • There aren't really enough supporting characters, and a couple of them that are present are fairly annoying.
    • You can't use most of the XIII cast in the game unless you get the DLC.
    If you liked X-2 more than X then there's a good chance you'll prefer XIII-2 to XIII for most of the same reasons. It's a much darker story, yet it has a lot of levity and buddy-cop silliness that XIII generally lacked. It's more open than its predecessor, and, like X-2, it has a great mechanical system that gets lost under the low difficulty.

I think XIII-2 deserves two play-throughs, one where you tear directly through it (for the gameplay challenge & story pacing) and one where you do everything (for the exploration, time-travel shenanigans, puzzles, and that completionist itch that it does a great job scratching).

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    The password app should just spit out 6 numbers for the security token code.

You still need to put in your actual password like with TOR or WoW.

And yes, Square's account system it's jacked up.

• Options
    FF7 remake
    Well, once I penetrated the SE login and stupid portal, Triple Triad is pretty good! Can't see it getting its hooks into me enough to actually make any purchases, but maybe I'll throw them a few "thanks for a good game" bucks anyway.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    @turtleant hit me up when you get back in the game.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Stilts wrote: »
    that's totally fair

i think what he goes through in the sequels is interesting enough for me to overlook what you're talking about though

I swear I'm not crazy.

I mean, it's not like he has much competition.

Aside from Crazy Chocobo.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Daypigeon wrote: »

I'll throw myself at FF13 again with no expectation of my wife following along, maybe I'll get somehting out of that

sacred stoooooooonessss

Sacred Stones is fun. Not as good as FE7 or Awakening, but it has its moments, and there's some stuff that isn't in other games in the series that can be entertaining.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    The Sauce wrote: »
    [*] It has the greatest villain in Final Fantasy history. He might be the greatest villain in the JRPG genre.

I'm really curious why some people think this.

For me, it felt like they couldn't decide if they wanted him to be a stoic antagonist who did what he did because he felt it was necessary, or a typical glowy-eyed "Embrace the terror!" kind of world-ender.

Again, the conditions of his master plan succeeding hinged entirely on the heroes completely forgetting the plot in the last second.

Caius: "Kill me, Noel, so we can unleash Chaos!"

Noel: "I won't do that Caius! It would be bad times for everyone!"

(later on)

Noel: "Die, Caius!"

(world starts getting fucked up)

Noel: "I had no idea this would happen!"

Caius would have made a far more interesting protagonist for FFXIII-2 as a "get shit done" kind of anti-hero.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Daypigeon wrote: »

sacred stoooooooonessss

Sacred Stones is fun. Not as good as FE7 or Awakening, but it has its moments, and there's some stuff that isn't in other games in the series that can be entertaining.

I like it a lot better than [no subtitle] personally, and after re-examining things I think I'd put both the games I listed in my top three series entries, prrrrobably?

i realize like nobody shares this opinion tho and it is probably crazy but there you go

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Jars wrote: »
    isn't aeris like 24 or 26?

nope 17 or 18 same as cloud

Cloud is 22, Aeris is 24.

FUCKING GOD DAMN IT DRAFT SYSTEM
    I specifically looked this up and didn't post it because I saw I was wrong but of course it snuck into my next post, I hate this draft system so much

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    Cloud is actually 21, Aerith is 22. Tifa is 20.

Cid is 32, and he's considered an "old man". :bigfrown:

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I hate the draft system more than I hate turtleant camping my teleporter entrance

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Mario and Luigi x Paper Mario
    Well, once I penetrated the SE login and stupid portal, Triple Triad is pretty good! Can't see it getting its hooks into me enough to actually make any purchases, but maybe I'll throw them a few "thanks for a good game" bucks anyway.

So is a Square Enix Membership account different from a Square Enix account? Because I have a membership account I signed up for when I bought FF7 on Steam, and I can login to it using Steam, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change the password.

Edit: Ok, it is a different thing. Had to make a new account. :P

Frem on
  • Options
    FF7 remake
    Frem wrote: »

So is a Square Enix Membership account different from a Square Enix account? Because I have a membership account I signed up for when I bought FF7 on Steam, and I can login to it using Steam, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change the password.

Yeah, I was trying to login with my FFXIV account, but if I'm reading the Portal right that account wouldn't fly?

• Options
    Nier 2
    @turtleant hit me up when you get back in the game.

It's gonna be a while, but I will yeah.

Gotta get the job sitch figured out first.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    FF7 remake
    Frem wrote: »

Edit: Ok, it is a different thing. Had to make a new account. :P

Honestly, who the hell knows how many different accounts and portals and widgets and versions they have floating around? The only certainty is that they'll want to verify your identity for each of them by chopping you in half and examining the cross-section like counting rings on a tree.

• Options
    [*] It has the greatest villain in Final Fantasy history. He might be the greatest villain in the JRPG genre.

For me, it felt like they couldn't decide if they wanted him to be a stoic antagonist who did what he did because he felt it was necessary, or a typical glowy-eyed "Embrace the terror!" kind of world-ender.

Again, the conditions of his master plan succeeding hinged entirely on the heroes completely forgetting the plot in the last second.

(later on)

Caius would have made a far more interesting protagonist for FFXIII-2 as a "get shit done" kind of anti-hero.
    For me it's because:
    • His motivations are believable. It can be a little hard to identify with an immortal person, but anyone who's been through the death of someone close can imagine the horror of repeating this event over and over again forever. It's actually the first instance of "world-ender" that has a sensible reason for wanting to do this (and his goal isn't even to destroy everything; it's just to make a very different, weird kind of world, and he callously ignores all the lost lives & other downsides of making this happen due to his singular focus).
    • The conflict is personal. He was once very close to Noel, and he intervenes directly and frequently with the main characters.
    • He is a complete person. We see many sides to him; the villain hat is only one of them (though it is indeed a fearsome hat).
    • He is legitimately threatening. Not only is he a strong and capable combatant, he can time travel just like you. And he's been doing it a lot longer. He's almost always one step ahead of you, except for that one time where you meet him when he's very early on his time-travel escapades himself (Oerba). Mastermind villains are always the most legitimately threatening ones, and Caius is the most accomplished architect of the series.
    • He ultimately succeeds. It wasn't through his first choice; he tried over and over again to cause time to end without having to die himself (starting with orchestrating XIII's events in an attempt to bring down Cocoon). Also, in the end, you can choose to not kill him; he literally throws himself onto your sword. So even if the heroes know something bad will happen if he dies, you can select that they don't actively try to make it happen. He engineered a perfect catch-22 sequence of events, like you would expect an immortal time-traveler to be capable of doing.
    • The voice acting is absolutely top-notch. His writing is pretty good, too, conveying his tortured emotions well.
    • In the end it's actually difficult to judge whether he was even in the wrong with everything he was doing. Bhunivelze's world was in fact a complete shithole, Etro was only marginally better, and his actions eventually culminate in Lightning rebuilding everything from scratch to presumably create a better world. This sort of ambiguity is a surprisingly mature theme for Final Fantasy, especially given how well it was handled.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake

(later on)

For me it's because:
    • His motivations are believable. It can be a little hard to identify with an immortal person, but anyone who's been through the death of someone close can imagine the horror of repeating this event over and over again forever. It's actually the first instance of "world-ender" that has a sensible reason for wanting to do this (and his goal isn't even to destroy everything; it's just to make a very different, weird kind of world, and he callously ignores all the lost lives & other downsides of making this happen due to his singular focus).
    • The conflict is personal. He was once very close to Noel, and he intervenes directly and frequently with the main characters.
    • He is a complete person. We see many sides to him; the villain hat is only one of them (though it is indeed a fearsome hat).
    • He is legitimately threatening. Not only is he a strong and capable combatant, he can time travel just like you. And he's been doing it a lot longer. He's almost always one step ahead of you, except for that one time where you meet him when he's very early on his time-travel escapades himself (Oerba). Mastermind villains are always the most legitimately threatening ones, and Caius is the most accomplished architect of the series.
    • He ultimately succeeds. It wasn't through his first choice; he tried over and over again to cause time to end without having to die himself (starting with orchestrating XIII's events in an attempt to bring down Cocoon). Also, in the end, you can choose to not kill him; he literally throws himself onto your sword. So even if the heroes know something bad will happen if he dies, you can select that they don't actively try to make it happen. He engineered a perfect catch-22 sequence of events, like you would expect an immortal time-traveler to be capable of doing.
    • The voice acting is absolutely top-notch. His writing is pretty good, too, conveying his tortured emotions well.
    • In the end it's actually difficult to judge whether he was even in the wrong with everything he was doing. Bhunivelze's world was in fact a complete shithole, Etro was only marginally better, and his actions eventually culminate in Lightning rebuilding everything from scratch to presumably create a better world. This sort of ambiguity is a surprisingly mature theme for Final Fantasy, especially given how well it was handled.

That kind of summarizes FFXIII as a whole for me; very sound concepts and really intriguing premises for the characters, but rarely portrayed or told well (in my opinion).

• Options
    Nier 2
    No

Anime

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I went to replay some Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga after watching the sgdq run

all my gameboy's have broken left triggers

bodied

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Nier 2
    That's what broke on my SP too. Weird.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    First battle with Hope and Vanille

So, like

Vanille is from Pulse, right? That's why she's wearing all these furs and beads? That's the explanation? And nobody is going "Why the fuck are you wearing fur" because they don't even know how to recognize it, except of course they do BECAUSE IT'S HAIR

Edit: oh my God this run animation

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Nier 2

So, like

Vanille is from Pulse, right? That's why she's wearing all these furs and beads? That's the explanation? And nobody is going "Why the fuck are you wearing fur" because they don't even know how to recognize it, except of course they do BECAUSE IT'S HAIR

Yyyyyeeeeeeeeep

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    So is this Metal Gear-esque gameplay:cutscene ratio something that improves with time?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    So is this Metal Gear-esque gameplay:cutscene ratio something that improves with time?

Once you get past those first 11 chapters or so, then yes.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options

So, like

It's hard to tell from the narrow view of it you have at the beginning of the game, but Cocoon is large and diverse enough itself to basically be a continent of its own (with a unified government). It's reasonable to assume that someone dressed in a way you haven't seen before is from somewhere far away, but you'd expect "halfway across Cocoon," not Pulse (because only monsters and horror live there). Same thing with her accent.

Nobody really worries about where she's from because everyone is seriously distracted by the crazy shit going down around them, and that isn't going to stop anytime soon. I'm wanting to say that the topic comes up once or twice and she kind of skirts around it, but I can't remember for sure.

The game isn't interested in hiding this from you, the player (it's not supposed to be a surprise / spoiler).

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

Yes

Mostly

Sort of

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Radius wrote: »

Is this one of those jokes about FF13's pacing

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    There's approximately 8.5 hours of cutscenes in total. The game is around 50-60 hours long in total, excluding post-game content (which doubles that, maybe a little more).

Cutscene frequency drops as gameplay content unlocks. This means it's very front-loaded, which is also what makes it seem to take so long to get the core gameplay open and available.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Radius wrote: »

Is this one of those jokes about FF13's pacing

It is both a joke and also the truth.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    This game's pretty melodramatic. Hope just fell dramatically to his knees, got up, shouted, and then fell dramatically to his knees again, all within about thirty seconds

And it doesn't seem to be getting better so far. There's a lot of words without a lot being said, and emoting that doesn't read as believable because nobody just has emotions or acts on them, they have to shout them. It's almost like watching a soap opera, but tuning in mid-season so I'm not sure why I should care about these people yet. Dialogue alone isn't selling them, and all of the characters feel very.... surface-level in terms of their motivations, and who they are.

Also the more I look at these outfits the stupider they're getting. Yesterday I would have told you Ashe's outfit is way dumber than Lightning's, but I just noticed L's fingerless black leather opera glove and I'm starting to lose my grip on that opinion

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    It's almost like watching a soap opera, but tuning in mid-season so I'm not sure why I should care about these people yet.

Oh yeah this is FFXIII to a tee.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Nier 2
    YAY I got my account fixed!

Stalwart Turtle will (eventually) live again!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

If you aren't a Roegadyn with that name, I will be very disappointed.

• Options
    Nier 2

If you aren't a Roegadyn with that name, I will be very disappointed.

StalwartTurtle04_08_201403_16_41_zpsb8e3d39e.png

Hell yeah I am.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    that's totally fair

I swear I'm not crazy.

nope sazh was the best still

he was just woefuilly underused

but hope improves a LOT

This discussion has been closed.