As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] When Everyone Has Gjallarhorn, No One Does. Year Two Bungie Stream Wednesday!

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    So they're nerfing Black Hammer and Gjallerhorn but neither is coming forward anyways? Either they were still going to be that hilariously OP even at a level disadvantage or they will be coming forward down the road. Nothing else really makes sense, since the nerf isn't happening until the TTK release, right?

Ed: and Ice Breaker as well

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    It makes sense to me that Gjallarhorn, Thorn, Ice Breaker aren't getting Y2 versions. They were so good that the entire community coveted them, celebrated them, and used them once acquired - and ignored others because they weren't these default "best" options.

I will miss them. (Not even positive that Thorn and IB aren't getting Y2 versions, but we haven't seen them yet and that's what I expect.) Well, I won't miss Thorn. It was a really cool weapon with a cool questline and a unique DoT mechanic that was just a little too OP. And... Hey, I guess we'll still see Thorn in regular Crucible, so actually, it isn't really going anywhere. But if it's phased out in Trials and Iron Banner, I'm good with that.

Man, I can't wait to see some new exotics. We have redesigned exotics from Y1 and now we have a whole new set of exotics to get excited about, and they're still mostly a secret. I do want Fate of All Fools, though. I REALLY want it.

Here's hoping MIDA gets a Y2 version. Fingers crossed, because it's so unique and doesn't feel particularly OP in any way. But I did get 8k+ points with it that one time.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Would anyone like to enter the skole bowl on ps4 today? I'd love to get 35 PoE under my belt before the expansion hits, I've tried it once or twice but never beaten it. I'm free anytime today, just shoot me a message here or on PSN. Also down for nightfalls or lower-level PoE

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    It makes sense to me that Gjallarhorn, Thorn, Ice Breaker aren't getting Y2 versions. They were so good that the entire community coveted them, celebrated them, and used them once acquired - and ignored others because they weren't these default "best" options.

I will miss them. (Not even positive that Thorn and IB aren't getting Y2 versions, but we haven't seen them yet and that's what I expect.) Well, I won't miss Thorn. It was a really cool weapon with a cool questline and a unique DoT mechanic that was just a little too OP. And... Hey, I guess we'll still see Thorn in regular Crucible, so actually, it isn't really going anywhere. But if it's phased out in Trials and Iron Banner, I'm good with that.

Man, I can't wait to see some new exotics. We have redesigned exotics from Y1 and now we have a whole new set of exotics to get excited about, and they're still mostly a secret. I do want Fate of All Fools, though. I REALLY want it.

Here's hoping MIDA gets a Y2 version. Fingers crossed, because it's so unique and doesn't feel particularly OP in any way. But I did get 8k+ points with it that one time.

I worry that the message they are sending here is:

"Hey! You know those weapons you loved in Y1? Leave 'em behind. Oh, and try not to fall in love with any of these new shiny Y2 weapons, either, because all the really good ones are going to be left behind in Y3."

On a side-note, if Thorn isn't going forward into Y2, they better leave TLW behind, too. Fuck that gun in particular.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Also, there was this video:

https://youtu.be/Jpi-uWDF_Z8

Giant Shank Boss is named S.A.B.E.R.-2 and actually looks amazing

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    all hand cannons are going to be worse though, so... TLW probably isn't going to piss you off as much anymore

the new hotness will be.... scout rifles? Pulse rifles? ARs?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Why are they nerfing Black Hammer, Gjallarhorn, and Icebreaker, and redesigning Thorn, only for none of those to be relevant come Y2 because none of them get a Y2 version?

Their decision making, I do not understand it.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    What's sad about the Last Word and Thorn being left behind most is all that sweet lore in the Grimoire for those guns. They wrote some really compelling lore and if they aren't functional weapons in year 2 no one will care.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Bungie wrote:
    Are you raising the Glimmer Cap?

The Glimmer cap remains as it has been in Year One
    You’ll have plenty to spend it on in Year Two

Seriously, they think stuff to spend it on is the problem!? The problem is when Iron Banner is around you need like 80.000 glimmer, its a goddamn fictive number which they should be able to change in 5 minutes, just raise it already.

I dont like pointless really constricted artificial roofs that make you waste various resources for no apparent reason.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It looked like The Last Word was under Year 2 Exotics Blueprints last night, but I could be mistaken.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Still need one more for trials tomorrow. Come shoot mans in a slightly strategic fashion.

https://www.the100.io/game/284412

• Options
    Year 2 Exotics Confirmed/Missing List (reddit)

There is more, but of note:
    Left Behind (for now)
    • Nechrocasm (Teaser)
    • Hard Light (Teaser)
    • Thorn (Teaser)
    • Vex Mythoclast (Teaser)
    • Ice Breaker (Reveal)
    • Universal Remote (Reveal)
    • Gjallarhorn (Reveal)
    • Super Good Advice (Reveal)

Unknown

About four of these will make the cut.
    • MIDA Multi-tool
    • Lord of Wolves
    • Pocket Infinity
    • Plan C
    • Queenbreaker's Bow
    • Dreg's Promise
    • No Land Beyond
    • Patience and Time
    • Dragon's Breath

Given that MIDA is the only primary that is unknown, that means there will be either 7 or 8 new exotic primary weapons.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    What? They are leaving behind the Nechrochasm right after buffing it too? Bungie what are you doinggggggggggggggggggggg

(besides I really think it would be cool if the raid hard mode exotics were always relevant, since those are meant to be a bit more special)

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Fuck Dregs Promise and Queenbreaker Bow, those things are not really good at anything, keep Dragons Breath too, I'd say No Land Beyond too but @Local H Jay would probably be sad then.

Plan C and Pocket Infinity is maybe kept for year 2, while being completely ignored by most people and they will be hit with a Fusion Rifle nerf again even? Keep them in Year 1 and let better weapons go to year 2.

Vex Mythoclast especially is a really cool gun that shouldnt be left behind, Necrochasm could also be a cool weapon if it didnt do complete dogshit for damage.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »
    btw, BWU has been posted

Interesting things to note:

- Redesigned Year 2 No Backup Plans, Shotgun kills will now trigger Force Barrier (when it's available)
    - No Year 2 Gjallarhorn lol fuck you

Um, that's gross.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Why are they nerfing Black Hammer, Gjallarhorn, and Icebreaker, and redesigning Thorn, only for none of those to be relevant come Y2 because none of them get a Y2 version?

Their decision making, I do not understand it.

I was going to say, "For PvP, dummy!" - but none of those are effective PvP weapons except Thorn. So I don't know.

I'd like to play tonight - maybe PoE on my Titan to get my QBreaker Bow, maybe taking my Warlock through the HoW story and eventually PoE, maybe just general Hunter PvP shenanigans - but I may not have time, so I don't want to commit to anything. We'll see.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    btw, BWU has been posted

- Redesigned Year 2 No Backup Plans, Shotgun kills will now trigger Force Barrier (when it's available)

Then why not just give us a new exotic with that new perk?

This is some recycling bullshit hidden behind pretending we get to keep things we've already levelled.

Like seriously that couldn't have just been a new piece of armor?

It would be like them coming out and saying "Guess what, you get to keep your Gjallarhorn! It has the same model except now its a Machine Gun and has a different perk. Oh, and you have to relevel it"

SO DUMB

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    btw, BWU has been posted

This is some recycling bullshit hidden behind pretending we get to keep things we've already levelled.

It would be like them coming out and saying "Guess what, you get to keep your Gjallarhorn! It has the same model except now its a Machine Gun and has a different perk. Oh, and you have to relevel it"

SO DUMB

Gjallarhorn machinegun that shoots wolfpack rounds confirmed

• Options
    Erevar wrote: »

"Hey! You know those weapons you loved in Y1? Leave 'em behind. Oh, and try not to fall in love with any of these new shiny Y2 weapons, either, because all the really good ones are going to be left behind in Y3."

On a side-note, if Thorn isn't going forward into Y2, they better leave TLW behind, too. Fuck that gun in particular.

It seriously lessens the desire to chase gear.

I mean AllDngsGoToHvn JUST BARELY got a mythoclast two weeks ago after chasing it for a year. And now Bungie turns around and makes the reward for that year long chase worthless.

What kind of message does that send? What does Bungie think that does to a player's future motivation to grind for gear?

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    NO BACKUP PLANS FOR REAL NOW, BEOTCHES

DON'T HAVE 'EM, DON'T NEED 'EM, DON'T WANT 'EM.

whew

I am so fucking happy right now. Hands down my favorite armor in the game. And now it's super badass.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    For example: No Backup Plans has been redesigned
    We significantly extended the duration of the old perk “Improved Disintegrate”
    Now, Shotgun kills will also trigger Force Barrier when its off of cooldown
    And yes, when triggered via Shotgun, Force Barrier also gets the benefit of the selected perk (Shotgun kills can trigger War Machine)

Oh @OptimusZed come out aaaaaannnnd plaaaaaaaay

Edit-Beat'd by Zed himself by seconds~

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    Since they're using averages to determine your effectiveness (they confirmed that higher light level does boost your damage output and armor level)...

If all your weapons cap at 280 light, and there's 9 slots for light, that's 2520. 2520 / 9 = 280 light level
    If only one of your items is an old exotic, that's 2240 + 160 (old exotic light value) = 2400 2400 / 9 = about 267 light level

That's only a difference of about 5%. Old exotics could still be super effective.

• Options
    Monte Carlo, Maxed Strength and the biggest, baddest shotgun I can find.

ABB: Always Be Barriered.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Remington wrote: »
    Since they're using averages to determine your effectiveness (they confirmed that higher light level does boost your damage output and armor level)...

If all your weapons cap at 280 light, and there's 9 slots for light, that's 2520. 2520 / 9 = 280 light level
    If only one of your items is an old exotic, that's 2240 + 160 (old exotic light value) = 2400 2400 / 9 = about 267 light level

That's only a difference of about 5%. Old exotics could still be super effective.

Are we sure the attack value of the weapon doesn't matter outside that average?

• Options

I mean AllDngsGoToHvn JUST BARELY got a mythoclast two weeks ago after chasing it for a year. And now Bungie turns around and makes the reward for that year long chase worthless.

What kind of message does that send? What does Bungie think that does to a player's future motivation to grind for gear?

Well, there will be new things to chase.

I know the pain better than anyone. Need I reference all my Gjallarhorn posts over the last year?

You know what my experience with not having Gjallarhorn taught me? You don't need it. You don't need the best weapon to do the content. What you need is a diverse set of weapons and armors across your characters. Despite how it feels, and like I said trust me I know, you are not gimped by not having that one gun, whatever that one gun is.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    This Exotic bullshit has completely cratered my hype.

If you were going to ditch so many, what was the reason for talking about Gjallarhorn, Thorn, The Last Word and Icebreaker nerfs? Just by nerfing them, you really implied they'd be kept for year 2.

Feels like Bungie is just coming up with new plans every week and running with it.

Sirialis on
  • Options

I'm absolutely not sure of that. I'm presuming a lot here. It just seems plausible.

• Options
    Fwiw, the thread title is SUPER relevant now.

• Options
    btw, BWU has been posted

- No Year 2 Gjallarhorn lol fuck you
    What will happen to my old Vanguard and Crucible Marks from Year One?

When The Taken King is released, blocks of fifty Vanguard and Crucible Marks will be converted into one reputation consumable

So max marks on 3 characters = 24 commendations x (assuming) 250 rep/commendation = 6k rep

Does this seem really low to anybody else? That's not even a whole faction rank per character.

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    Honestly, they could tell me that y2 Destiny would be a horse-grooming simulator and I'd still be pumped right now.

• Options
    Like, what KIND of horse can I groom!?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    A fanciful unicorn.

But only if you get lucky after beating oryx.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

I'm absolutely not sure of that. I'm presuming a lot here. It just seems plausible.

Yeah, the biggest thing I am curious about is the above, and whether or not the damage/armor etc scaling is across the entire total amount. Or if it has different "gateway" or tiered amounts.

Like if 280 is the normal amount for an activity does it progressively just scale down based on the % of that amount you have like you theorized? Or is their a tiered system in place so that like if the normal amount is 280 and then they put in a minimum effective level in at like 260 (making this number up) does the scaling just happen as a % between those numbers. Thinking of this because of things like the Nightfall where the number of your light could be very important and specific since they aren't using the old LL gating to get in.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    btw, BWU has been posted

SO DUMB

...because it does what No Backup Plans has always done as well? They took a subpar exotic and on it's way into year 2 upgraded it so it actually has a role.

Like, is your complaint based on really wanted a new in game model or just haterade?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    As for my motivations to grind gear

I've spent nearly 200 hours on Destiny. Peanuts compared to some people here, I know, but still a sizable amount of time to spend on any one game

I've never once done any grinding for gear, because it's all determined by RNG anyways. Is grinding even an accurate term, really? I'll grind for XP on the weapons that I do have, but throwing myself at something repeatedly hoping for new guns over and over does not sound like my idea of a good time.

I play, and will continue to play, Destiny because it is fun, as always. The minute something stops being fun is the minute I stop doing it. That's why I abandoned the game shortly after launch - farming for helium and spirit blooms (remember when that was a thing?) was not a fun thing to do, and there wasn't enough strike/mission/bounty variety yet, so I just dropped the game completely. When House of Wolves came out, I was like "okay, yes, this is the game I've wanted it to be." I used the best guns I had at my disposal and always had a good time.

I only did VoG twice, and absolutely hated it both times (I only did it a second time because my friends were practically begging for another guardian), but I was lucky enough to get Vex Mythoclast on that run. But even if I hadn't, I wouldn't have played that mode ever again just to chase a weapon.

If all I wanted was a loot grind, I'd play Diablo III. It is so not the reason I come. I play to have fun with friends and enjoy an intense shooter. I would have been completely fine with them wiping all legendaries and exotics. The gear is a nice little carrot, but if I'm not having fun chasing the carrot then why would I bother?

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    No Year 2 Gjalla isn't surprising. Year 2 Exotics at all are surprising.
    Having this mixed bag of "oh this Exotic was fun and not over-powered so we'll redesign it. But that one? Nah, too powerful, leave in the past."

Bungie really did paint themselves into a corner where it seems like different parties wanted different directions, and rather than one party being in charge, they tried to do both, fulfilling neither in an effective fasion.

That said, hell yes No Backup Plans is going to be my new Titan hotness.

(edit - nerfs are still relevant for Crucible content that isn't Iron Banner/Trials. Sure, they could have left Thorn untouched for PVE since it was going to stagnate, but that wouldn't change Crucible then)

Zombie Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    btw, BWU has been posted

SO DUMB

...because it does what No Backup Plans has always done as well? They took a subpar exotic and on it's way into year 2 upgraded it so it actually has a role.

Like, is your complaint based on really wanted a new in game model or just haterade?

It's pretty clear what my complaint was/is, Devout. You're a smart poster. Don't be a goose and try to frame a legitimate complaint from a poster who has been a part of this Destiny community from day -60 and has contributed greatly to that community as "haterade".

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    This Exotic bullshit has completely cratered my hype.

If you were going to ditch so many, what was the reason for talking about Gjallarhorn, Thorn, The Last Word and Icebreaker nerfs?

Feels like Bungie is just coming up with new plans every week and running with it.

They definitely are.
    Al_wat wrote: »

Well, there will be new things to chase.

I know the pain better than anyone. Need I reference all my Gjallarhorn posts over the last year?

You know what my experience with not having Gjallarhorn taught me? You don't need it. You don't need the best weapon to do the content. What you need is a diverse set of weapons and armors across your characters. Despite how it feels, and like I said trust me I know, you are not gimped by not having that one gun, whatever that one gun is.

i think what im saying is....

....oh god......

gjallarhorn is overrated

• Options
    As for my motivations to grind gear

I've spent nearly 200 hours on Destiny. Peanuts compared to some people here, I know, but still a sizable amount of time to spend on any one game

I've never once done any grinding for gear, because it's all determined by RNG anyways. Is grinding even an accurate term, really? I'll grind for XP on the weapons that I do have, but throwing myself at something repeatedly hoping for new guns over and over does not sound like my idea of a good time.

I play, and will continue to play, Destiny because it is fun, as always. The minute something stops being fun is the minute I stop doing it. That's why I abandoned the game shortly after launch - farming for helium and spirit blooms (remember when that was a thing?) was not a fun thing to do, and there wasn't enough strike/mission/bounty variety yet, so I just dropped the game completely. When House of Wolves came out, I was like "okay, yes, this is the game I've wanted it to be." I used the best guns I had at my disposal and always had a good time.

I only did VoG twice, and
    utely hated it both times (I only did it a second time because my friends were practically begging for another guardian), but I was lucky enough to get Vex Mythoclast on that run. But even if I hadn't, I wouldn't have played that mode ever again just to chase a weapon.

If all I wanted was a loot grind, I'd play Diablo III. It is so not the reason I come. I play to have fun with friends and enjoy an intense shooter. I would have been completely fine with them wiping all legendaries and exotics. The gear is a nice little carrot, but if I'm not having fun chasing the carrot then why would I bother?

People have different reasons for playing Destiny!

Your last sentence is exactly the problem. The last time Bungie pulled this they got so much pushback from their playerbase that they admitted it was a mistake and implemented a better system. Now they are doing it again, why wouslnt they get the same pushback? This is still just an expansion. It's not Destiny 2.