As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Programming] Thread: Fixed last bug in 5 month thread

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    So I had to fork and patch up formsy-react today to get it working with react 0.14 and ES6 class style.

On the upside, I'm learning React really quick.

did you submit a PR?

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    I just learned about directives in AngularJS.

I'm like

"How did <div some-example-here></div> render into this really neat UI? FROM WHAT DARK MAGICK DID IT COME?"

and directives are that answer.

And the thing is, angular directives actually kinda suck.

basically, it's not unheard of for people to literally drop in React in place of Angular Directives, but still use every other part of Angular.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »

I'm like

"How did <div some-example-here></div> render into this really neat UI? FROM WHAT DARK MAGICK DID IT COME?"

basically, it's not unheard of for people to literally drop in React in place of Angular Directives, but still use every other part of Angular.

Oh schnap! I am in your webs, learning your technologies and methodologies. =P

Could I ask why they kinda suck? Or be thrown a few links to stuff?

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

I'm like

Oh schnap! I am in your webs, learning your technologies and methodologies. =P

Could I ask why they kinda suck? Or be thrown a few links to stuff?

I think it's partially because there's a new web technology every few years. Not sure the stuff is "built to last", per se.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    So I had to fork and patch up formsy-react today to get it working with react 0.14 and ES6 class style.

On the upside, I'm learning React really quick.

did you submit a PR?

Not yet, but he definitely wants some testing and feedback on it. I'm going to run it through the paces and make sure our approach is "correct" before I bother with the PR.

By end of next week we will either have abandoned it or adopted it fully.

OrokosPA.png
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    I posted in the SE++ Job thread, but: I gots a new job. Moving from far-too-much responsibility for no benefits and not nearly compensated enough to great benefits, 40hr work week culture, only being a developer, and an honest-to-goodness TEAM to work with.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    ironsizide wrote: »
    I posted in the SE++ Job thread, but: I gots a new job. Moving from far-too-much responsibility for no benefits and not nearly compensated enough to great benefits, 40hr work week culture, only being a developer, and an honest-to-goodness TEAM to work with.

Praise the honky!

Now we just have to wait until ASimPerson reports on his good news. *knock on wood*

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

Praise the honky!

Now we just have to wait until ASimPerson reports on his good news. *knock on wood*

Getting there!

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    @bowen you could look at the Affero GPL also.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Affero GPL allows commercial use it looks like?

Either way I'm thinking of going with GPL. If someone were to offer a patch it would be just a nightmare boondongle to claim that as "my own source" for distribution sources and CC-BY-NC doesn't really let me do what I want. It prevents people from taking my code and selling it, but it also prevents me from using other people's changes commercially if I chose to do so.

I guess GPL is the best, because it prevents most of the people I want to prevent.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Welp, the other dev is taking a personal day today. That means all his work is now moving to me.

Ugh it's not like I wanted sleep anyway.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Welp, the other dev is taking a personal day today. That means all his work is now moving to me.

What's that honky? I think you're coming down with something... *coughcough*

What's that honky? I think you're coming down with something... *coughcough*

Lots of money involved if I can't make this happen.

I won't fail at this point.

• ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    @urahonky, finish this project for me and I myself will carry you to the gates of Valhalla. You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome.*

* I may or may not have been watching Fury Road recently.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I've seen it three times.

Not nearly enough.

OrokosPA.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Either way I'm thinking of going with GPL. If someone were to offer a patch it would be just a nightmare boondongle to claim that as "my own source" for distribution sources and CC-BY-NC doesn't really let me do what I want. It prevents people from taking my code and selling it, but it also prevents me from using other people's changes commercially if I chose to do so.

I guess GPL is the best, because it prevents most of the people I want to prevent.

It's the GPL with added provisions that mean they have to provide the source even if they're distributing it as a 'service' and not selling the program directly.

LD50 wrote: »

It's the GPL with added provisions that mean they have to provide the source even if they're distributing it as a 'service' and not selling the program directly.

Ah, that interests me then because it was going to be a web-based thing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    @urahonky, finish this project for me and I myself will carry you to the gates of Valhalla. You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome.*

I have not seen it yet. Should I rectify this?

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

I have not seen it yet. Should I rectify this?

Y

Yep, just got confirmation that they aren't going to renew the other dev's contract. He pretty much saved my job from being terminated before and was able to get me my raise.

I don't know how I feel about this.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    He's a dev; he'll be fine.

I think the thing is that he was the one that had all the grand ideas about this project. He was the one that went to the conference a few months ago with our CEO and head Doctor to meet and greet with other vendors and pathologists. He was the one who was basically turning this thing into a commercial product...

I have no idea how to do any of this and I'm the only Developer remaining.

start the job search

start the job search

if you didn't have to move to florida to do it, I'd say you should come work here

Florida's actually a nice place if you've got AC and like to do things, wildlife and theme parks aplenty.

I was in Tampa for a week or so visiting a buddy of mine... I wouldn't do well in Florida.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Orlando's really chill to live in. Don't know the rest of the state.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Orlando's really chill to live in. Don't know the rest of the state.

Stay away from the Tampa, Zephyr hills, and Inverness, that's where the olds congregate.

But like really, biodiversity in florida is really awesome, so much is going on all the time.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I was in Tampa for a week or so visiting a buddy of mine... I wouldn't do well in Florida.
    Yeah, I think Bowen is crazy on this one. The humidity makes the heat extra miserable when you're outside since your body's cooling system (sweating) doesn't work very well when the sweat has trouble evaporating. For similar reasons getting in some shade doesn't help you cool off nearly as much as it does when you're in a climate with dry heat. And you better like the smell of bug spray, because the mosquitoes are vicious if you're in a rural area (or campsites and the like). Plus the rain will frequently spoil outdoor activities.

Source: I've lived in North Florida for the past 28 years. IMO if you move here you're either a) crazy, b) desperate, c) retiring and coming here to die.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    Yeah that's why I visit in the winter. Much easier to handle Disney when it's windy and 60 and there's a chance of rain.

But summer Florida is miserable.

Still a fun place if you like animals and theme parks!

Yeah 72 degrees is perfect for me... Anything more and I sweat thinking about it. Adding in humidity makes it worse.

I would totally be migratory if I could afford it.

Go live in Florida for the winter and come back up here in the Summer, or, somewhere else.

That would be much more enjoyable than trying to find a place that isn't somewhat mild in the summer, but also not frigid in the summer.

Also I can't do the PNW because of the rain, bad joints suck, it's been a really tough 2 weeks for me with all this rain in NY.

I live in St. Pete and just don't go outside from April until late October.

Now, to be fair, the other 6 months are great because everyone's complaining about dying under feet of snow and we're like "what do you mean, it's a perfect 70F and sunny here" in January

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I would totally be migratory if I could afford it.

Go live in Florida for the winter and come back up here in the Summer, or, somewhere else.

That would be much more enjoyable than trying to find a place that isn't somewhat mild in the summer, but also not frigid in the summer.

Also I can't do the PNW because of the rain, bad joints suck, it's been a really tough 2 weeks for me with all this rain in NY.

In australia it never gets below 0.

This is not good enough and as soon as possible I am going to move to terraformed Venus to be closer to the daystar.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    One of the guys on the project-with-lots-of-warnings has removed ~96% of them by disabling the warning that boost headers generate for the parts of the compile where we're including boost, and turning them back on again afterwards:
    #ifdef _MAC
    #pragma clang diagnostic push
    #pragma clang diagnostic ignored "-Wredeclared-class-member"
    #endif

#include <boost/function.hpp>
    #include <boost/bimap.hpp>
    #include <boost/signals2.hpp>

#ifdef _MAC
    #pragma clang diagnostic pop
    #endif

Potentially, upgrading to the latest Boost would also fix this, but nobody is particularly enthused about doing the amount of regression testing that would involve. Build logs are down from 272mb to 12mb (which is still a lot, but there are a lot of things getting built here, with or without boost's warning-ness in the mix).

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I haven't been here much as I haven't been programming. But I met some of you in person last year at pax, and have gotten help with my programming. So I just have to say I got a text from Mrs. Alure:

"Luke just said dad and very clearly a couple times."

I wonder if he will like computers like me?

Anyway, when I take my next programming class I will be back more, but I had to stop by and say hi. I also never saw, but if anyone is doing any meetup this year at pax, I would like to try and make it to see peeps again.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    start the job search

Starting to sound like this is what I need to do. They told the other guy that they let him go because they couldn't afford the burn rate and didn't have anything lined up to commercialize what we wrote (yet). God damn it I'm tired of job searching.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Seriously. New job

This discussion has been closed.