As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    If hasn't been mentioned yet, you can get the smartphone version of Final Fantasy I for free through the Square-Enix portal app thing through the end of the month.

On a related note, the touchscreen movement control is really, really janky.

ASimPerson on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »
    So is this Metal Gear-esque gameplay:cutscene ratio something that improves with time?

Once you get past those first 11 chapters or so, then yes.

Is this one of those jokes about FF13's pacing

no the game is actually well paced after the tutorial which people really like to exaggerate

but it is hella cutscene heavy

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    So is this Metal Gear-esque gameplay:cutscene ratio something that improves with time?

no the game is actually well paced after the tutorial which people really like to exaggerate

Basically, picture it this way.

Everyone involved is freaking the fuck out.

Like, trippin BALLS. All this shit is happening and it's crazy and all of their previous way of life was literally destroyed.

And that's BEFORE they became Le'Cei or however you spell it.

Transporter on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates

So the tutorial in any other FF would be over when you beat the Fal'Cie fight

It's over now, right

Now things chill out a bit

dN0T6ur.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

It's over now, right

It....evens out.

The tutorial is honestly a tiny bit lengthy, but mostly because they try to give you a feel of each set of character's motivations. The cut-scenes though do cut down to, "reasonable" instead of, "Hey, we moved for 30 seconds TEN MINUTE CUT-SCENE"

Once you assemble the full cast, you'll know the tutorial is winding down/ending.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier 2

It's over now, right

Like the very first one?

Yeah, you'll get access to the level up mechanics and junk now. Spells, all that jazz.

Also the next area is SO PRETTY!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Mario and Luigi x Paper Mario
    Guys I'm only 2 esoteric pieces into my warrior set but holy shit warrior is so strong you guys. I was hitting non-crit heavy swings for 1.6k earlier

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg

It's over now, right

the way the game works is that instead of throwing a billion things at you at once it tutorializes slowly while you play the actual game

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Other
    I'm resting my hands before buying eso gear to see if I can still play ninja. got 1925 tomes on hand

Jars on
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Mario and Luigi x Paper Mario
    The warrior axe, Parishnu I think it's called, is soooo cool looking. Also it hits like a fucking freight train on a stick

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Nier 2

It's over now, right

the way the game works is that instead of throwing a billion things at you at once it tutorializes slowly while you play the actual game

it's a weird bit of mmo design, honestly

like they feed new concepts to you at a pace i associate with a game like WoW

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    It's a pace that doesn't really work

The combat is straight up boring for 12 entire hours when they abruptly send you against a boss which requires you to play the game as intended instead of as you've actually needed the first hours of the game.

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    I love 13's combat system

I hate it's encounter design

This seems like a strange thing to say until you start fighting enemies that take 20 minutes to kill and you get ranked 5 stars because yeah that's how that fight is supposed to work

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    I love 13's combat system

I hate it's encounter design

This seems like a strange thing to say until you start fighting enemies that take 20 minutes to kill and you get ranked 5 stars because yeah that's how that fight is supposed to work

Well, I mean, long boss fights is not a new thing in FF games.

You get a 20 minute timer when fighting Emerald Weapon without the Underwater Materia, and for many people, the materia is mandatory because that is just not long enough.

Javen on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    And yeah both paradigms and gambits are battle systems that I completely scoffed at when first hearing about them and was utterly proven wrong. I'm glad they eventually realized how awful it was to go into fights just to mash the confirm button to perform normal physical attacks as quickly as possible.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I would kill a man to be able to pause and put in specific actions like once a round in FF13, it's better to trust the computer though because my meat hunks are way too slow to make specific commands worthwhile

2x39jD4.jpg
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Oh 20 minutes for a boss fight is fine, if lengthy

It is not okay for random battles, which is a fuckin' frequent thing in that game

Oh 20 minutes for a boss fight is fine, if lengthy

It is not okay for random battles, which is a fuckin' frequent thing in that game

not unless you are chapter 13 and grinding end game mobs to powerlevel

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Other
    okay so i had to do the hard mode primals to unlock the 2.5 quests

are there any other bits of content that i'll need to do to unlock the story before heavensward, that aren't stuff you encounter naturally in the main story quests

liEt3nH.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    Other
    which primals? I didn't think you had to do the original 3 but you have to do the next ones in 'hard mode'(which is actually super wimpy mode). the distinction only exists to separate the 4 man party primals and the 8 man trial primals

Other
    ifrit, garuda, titan

liEt3nH.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I wonder if enough people repeatedly tell wyborn that ff13 is good and also not bad, maybe he'll be confused into believing it

BahamutZERO.gif
    Other
    I wonder if enough people repeatedly tell wyborn that ff13 is good and also not bad, maybe he'll be confused into believing it

well it didn't work for ffx

liEt3nH.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    It looks like he's tried to play PSIV twice and given up on it twice, so I'm not sure how you can convince him that any game is good. Or if you should even bother.

uyvfOQy.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Nier 2

I had kinda resigned myself to that around his third or fourth post.

IKknkhU.gif
    Other
    also i like the 110 whm armor

zs5Z5QU.jpg

liEt3nH.png
    Nier 2
    So, I started playing Final Fantasy: Type-0.

It...might be good?

I honestly am not sure right now.

The combat is pretty fun, though I'm worried it's gonna get repetitive fairly quickly. There's a spell upgrade system that seems neat but has me worried it'll be grindy as fuck. The overarching plot is compelling--as is much of the backstory--but it suffers from tonal problems. Like, one of the opening cinematics has a dude slowly bleed to death after completing a mission while cadets are slaughtered around him. Then you finish the mission and get back to base and...you're in a high school military academy and there's a bunch of goofy and stilted dialogue among your classmates.

IKknkhU.gif
    Other
    it's me i'm the one in the thread who hates type-0

i'll be your wyborn for this

liEt3nH.png
    edited August 2015
    Nier 2
    I do like that there's a pretty big variety of combat styles to try out.

I love the scythe-lady's design, but her attacks are pretty unwieldy, so I probably won't directly control her often.

The bow guy (Trey) is pretty fun, as is the fencer (Queen) who...fences with a claymore for some reason? I guess she just has crazy upper body strength.

Ace (aka anime Gambit) is fine, but I don't really have fun flinging deadly cards at people.

I need to try out the lancer at some point.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the camera is, like, really bad. God, I hate the camera so much.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I'd love to try out Type-0 now that they've fixed it

I sold it like the day after launch because it's the only game in history to actually give me a headache

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake

I think of wyborn as more of a hype man for things he likes than a hater for things he doesn't like, he rarely posts about things he dislikes. He didn't seem that negative about FFX to me, more just not really feeling it. He clearly liked it enough to finish it, at least.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Nier 2

I think of wyborn as more of a hype man for things he likes than a hater for things he doesn't like, he rarely posts about things he dislikes. He didn't seem that negative about FFX to me, more just not really feeling it. He clearly liked it enough to finish it, at least.

Yeah, whenever he posted about disliking it, felt more like "Sorry guys, I'm not really digging it." than an attack.

Nowhere near the energy of liking something.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I still think that Lightning is just as childish as Snow. And at least Snow doesn't take the first opportunity to be a nihilistic animu-loner who has to be alone to revengeance against the man, man.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Now when are we gonna get wyborn to play crisis core, the best final fantasy game of the past ten years

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I like Type-0. Jack is Magikarp. Cater is fun. Death-whatever killovision is very strong so you can kill things with much higher levels than you, and attacks that stun or stagger enemies actually kind of suck for damage because they prevent it. Attacks that are easy to time, especially from a distance, are very useful.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates

I felt like Type Zero was really overhyped by folks who played it early. Also for all its comparisons to FFXIII it had many of the same problems people complained about in that game while having an even more disjointed story.

It also annoyed me, and this is more of a personal thing, because the game was made for a handheld "pick up and play" style and it really shows.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Reynolds wrote: »
    It looks like he's tried to play PSIV twice and given up on it twice, so I'm not sure how you can convince him that any game is good. Or if you should even bother.

YOu never did tell me what makes it so good, or what I should be looking for or what I might be missing. I'll probably still pick it back up but it would help if you told me a bit about what makes you think the game is great.
    Stilts wrote: »

I had kinda resigned myself to that around his third or fourth post.

I liked FFX well enough, it just didn't make me froth at the mouth like I do for some games

dN0T6ur.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Type-0 is awesome. The battle system alone is fantastic.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    So, I started playing Final Fantasy: Type-0.

It...might be good?

I honestly am not sure right now.

The combat is pretty fun, though I'm worried it's gonna get repetitive fairly quickly. There's a spell upgrade system that seems neat but has me worried it'll be grindy as fuck. The overarching plot is compelling--as is much of the backstory--but it suffers from tonal problems. Like, one of the opening cinematics has a dude slowly bleed to death after completing a mission while cadets are slaughtered around him. Then you finish the mission and get back to base and...you're in a high school military academy and there's a bunch of goofy and stilted dialogue among your classmates.

that's actually explained and a huge part of the story.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Oh, in Type-0 you'll get optional missions. Be very careful of them, they're much higher level than what you are. I managed to complete one of them with a whole lot of dodging and watching for Kill Signs like a hawk and still finished with only a single person remaining out of everyone I'd brought.

This discussion has been closed.