As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

19495969798100»

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I never remember which side-things you're supposed to avoid doing the first playthrough, or if it even was the first playthrough. It's hazy.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Wyborn wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »
    So is this Metal Gear-esque gameplay:cutscene ratio something that improves with time?

Once you get past those first 11 chapters or so, then yes.

Is this one of those jokes about FF13's pacing

no the game is actually well paced after the tutorial which people really like to exaggerate

but it is hella cutscene heavy

So the tutorial in any other FF would be over when you beat the Fal'Cie fight

It's over now, right

Now things chill out a bit
    It's roughly equivalent to getting your first set of classes in FFV. You get your hands on how the game actually works, and it's substantially more interesting than just Attack & Item. But you don't have all the options available yet; the fun of juggling & mixing lots of different classes is still a bit away.

The game completely eases off easy-mode as well. You won't be getting free 5-stars in battles that are nearly impossible to lose anymore. Getting 5 stars will often require ambushing enemies or taking huge risks that could get you killed if they don't pay off. There are a couple enemy groups in chapter 3 that can kill off your leader within around 20 seconds of the battle starting if you're not on top of your game. This isn't something many players realized because at least one of those groups is fairly easy to ambush, and there's a little bit of chance involved in whether or not the enemies focus-attack a single character.

You'll have to start using strategies for bosses as well, though they won't be very difficult for a Final Fantasy veteran, even with the new stuff that XIII brings along.

You will continue to unlock new options and mechanics basically every chapter. It's actually paced really well; just when you're comfortable with the latest thing and feel like you have it figured out, they bring in something new and/or change up the encounter design to make you rethink your approach. It's the best encounter design since FF5, and that starts pretty much where you are now. It's the benefit of having every encounter be hand-crafted with full healing and chapter level caps; the designers know exactly what your capabilities are for every single fight, so they can make sure that each one is interesting in some way. You'll see a pattern of escalation mixed with a few easier throwbacks to show off how powerful and/or skilled you've gotten as you've learned the enemies and leveled up.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Stilts wrote: »
    So, I started playing Final Fantasy: Type-0.

It...might be good?

I honestly am not sure right now.

The combat is pretty fun, though I'm worried it's gonna get repetitive fairly quickly. There's a spell upgrade system that seems neat but has me worried it'll be grindy as fuck. The overarching plot is compelling--as is much of the backstory--but it suffers from tonal problems. Like, one of the opening cinematics has a dude slowly bleed to death after completing a mission while cadets are slaughtered around him. Then you finish the mission and get back to base and...you're in a high school military academy and there's a bunch of goofy and stilted dialogue among your classmates.

that's actually explained and a huge part of the story.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, since they reveal that plot point in the first couple hours. That doesn't really fix the problem of the dialogue being bad, though.

IKknkhU.gif
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Now when are we gonna get wyborn to play crisis core, the best final fantasy game of the past ten years

Tseng, the most solid of bros?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    So, I started playing Final Fantasy: Type-0.

It...might be good?

I honestly am not sure right now.

The combat is pretty fun, though I'm worried it's gonna get repetitive fairly quickly. There's a spell upgrade system that seems neat but has me worried it'll be grindy as fuck. The overarching plot is compelling--as is much of the backstory--but it suffers from tonal problems. Like, one of the opening cinematics has a dude slowly bleed to death after completing a mission while cadets are slaughtered around him. Then you finish the mission and get back to base and...you're in a high school military academy and there's a bunch of goofy and stilted dialogue among your classmates.

that's actually explained and a huge part of the story.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, since they reveal that plot point in the first couple hours. That doesn't really fix the problem of the dialogue being bad, though.

Well I was just referring to the tonal shifts.

Those actually make sense with regards to the story. Whether or not you like the actual dialogue or whether it's good is unrelated to the tone. That part is very deliberate.

DemonStacey on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Every time Lightning crosses her arms and huffs while staring at nothing, take a drink.

Every time Hope falls to his knees, take a drink.

Every time Snow makes a promise, take a drink.

Every time the game makes a joke about Sazh's hair being like a bush, take a drink.

Every time Vanille makes an idol pose or starts to run in a cutscene, take a drink.

I do like activating Tri-Disaster. It seems like it builds the damage stagger multiplier much faster than Relentless Assault.

dN0T6ur.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Yeah, Ravagers are for building the stagger gauge. Commandos slow the gauge's depletion rate.

IKknkhU.gif
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Every time Lightning crosses her arms and huffs while staring at nothing, take a drink.

Every time the game makes a joke about Sazh's hair being like a bush, take a drink.

Every time Vanille makes an idol pose or starts to run in a cutscene, take a drink.

I do like activating Tri-Disaster. It seems like it builds the damage stagger multiplier much faster than Relentless Assault.

It does, but it also runs out much faster, so if you don't stagger all the way, it can sometimes completely run out faster than your ATB bar can generate. You can micromanage your abilities to refresh it before the bar fills up all the way, but it's kind of a pain. Basically, Ravagers fill up the stagger meter, and Commandos stabilize it, so you can also potentially stagger multiple enemies in quick succession if you switch between targets

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

It does, but it's decay is way WAY faster if you don't have a commando smack it to keep that Stagger up.

And just the Snow Promise drinks would leave you extra dead. .

Fire Emblem Fates
    So Relentless Assault - which is one Commando and two Ravagers - might be best for keeping the thing rising? Tri-Disaster seems fine, though I have to triangle-fire Thunder to keep the bar from depleting sometimes

dN0T6ur.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Ugh 13's battle system is so good

Maybe I should buy it on steam...

That version isn't garbage anymore right

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    wyborn please do not attempt a drinking game for a sixty-hour experience

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    So Relentless Assault - which is one Commando and two Ravagers - might be best for keeping the thing rising? Tri-Disaster seems fine, though I have to triangle-fire Thunder to keep the bar from depleting sometimes

What you do is, go Tri-disaster, do two rounds, switch to relentless assault for 1, then back to tri-disaster. Repeat.

Then when you stagger something go 2 com/1 rav for hyper damage.

X22wmuF.jpg
    FF7 remake
    Ugh 13's battle system is so good

Maybe I should buy it on steam...

That version isn't garbage anymore right

Funny you should say that, I just started having issues with it today

I'm running windows 10, so that might be the issue, but it's crashing very very frequently, usually after just a few minutes. I'm just upgrading to ACTUAL windows 10, from the tech preview now, so we'll see if there's an update that helps, but it's a huge pain. I checked event logs, something with the dinput8.dll, that's a directX thing, right? I tried running as an admin, and on compatibility mode with windows XP, 7 and 8 and it's all a bust so far.

Fire Emblem Fates
    Lightning is my only Commando right now

But it feels like Ravagers also build up the damage multiplier faster? So maybe Tri-Disaster for a bit while they're staggered before going all-damage? I don't know

dN0T6ur.png
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    turtleant wrote: »

What you do is, go Tri-disaster, do two rounds, switch to relentless assault for 1, then back to tri-disaster. Repeat.

Then when you stagger something go 2 com/1 rav for hyper damage.

This is a good idea for later in the game, but honestly at the earlier stages, single targets usually won't last that long.

EDIT: Also once you start getting your buffers and Haste etc, starting with that is always a good idea

Javen on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    No I just got hit with a surprise doctor's office bill and also still have to play Tales from the Borderlands and Life is Strange and Witcher 3 and Lets all Go To The Rapture and FFXIV

Must resist purchasing games

edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    Honestly, the tutorial has the right idea. Stick with relentless assault, and diversity when you really need healing. Tri-disaster will work in cases where the enemy has clear elemental weaknesses you can exploit and not really need to stagger at all. Although sometimes I just skip the diversity part since they throw so many potions at you in the beginning of the game

Javen on
    I've always wondered if Lucca and Marle use Power for melee-range. Those attacks always seemed weaker, but I never wrote them down or anything.

FF7 remake
    PLA wrote: »
    I've always wondered if Lucca and Marle use Power for melee-range. Those attacks always seemed weaker, but I never wrote them down or anything.

I think it's just a perception thing, they used accuracy for both ranged and melee attacks. 2/3rds acc+Weap or something g like that

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Don't forget later on in the game that Saboteur has the same break gauge slowing effect that Commando does.

But it feels like Ravagers also build up the damage multiplier faster? So maybe Tri-Disaster for a bit while they're staggered before going all-damage? I don't know
    Yeah, it's something you'll definitely want to do on bosses. It actually won't hurt you to experiment with it now and get a good handle on how long you should stay in Tri-Disaster before switching to a COM-based assault to take advantage of that damage multiplier. Timing is crucial, and it's not the same for every enemy. You have to just get a feel for it, so if you start now you'll be in a better place with it later.

It'll also be a HUGE help for you starting with chapter 5 (and parts of 4) where you only have two characters. Switching between COM/RAV and RAV/RAV paradigms is critical there. This is done because in the late game your third member will often be a Sentinel (MMO tank), so you'll still have to manage to stagger enemies with just two characters on offense.

Experiment with everything. The larger your toolbox the less you'll be blindsided later when stuff gets real tricky.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Reynolds wrote: »
    It looks like he's tried to play PSIV twice and given up on it twice, so I'm not sure how you can convince him that any game is good. Or if you should even bother.

YOu never did tell me what makes it so good, or what I should be looking for or what I might be missing. I'll probably still pick it back up but it would help if you told me a bit about what makes you think the game is great.

I made a big post in another thread one time, which is when I assume you tried the game before. Your next post after it was something like 'man Phantasy Star is anime as hell' and then I never heard you mention it again.

Basically I compare it to Chrono Trigger. They were both released near the end of their systems' lives, when the Saturn or N64 were either out or at least looming on the horizon. They're huge games that are made with basically as much knowledge as you can have of the systems' power. PSIV comes on a special cart with extra storage space and cost around $100 at launch, for example (but came in a cardboard box with a B&W manual...). But they're in that pre-FF7 window before everything just changed for JRPGs. When everything was mostly just 'done this way' they were probably the best examples of the traditional JRPG, both playstyle, story and presentation-wise. I only had a Genesis at the time, and when I eventually borrowed a SNES from one of my friends, who were always hyping up the great RPGs it had, the only one that didn't disappoint was CT. That's why I compare them so much, because I think they're the shining examples from this era of RPGs, and everyone should play both. They're also pretty similar in other ways...combo attacks, travelling around in a silver spaceship to different worlds, one lead character with a rotating cast that eventually all join together at the end, heavy anime designs, etc.

First off, the combat system is really good. The Skill/Technique split gives you some interesting options. You can use your MP for a healing spell, or damage, but with Skills you always know you have x of the fire attack, or whatever. The macro system is what really sets this game apart, though, and it's something I wish basically every turn based RPG had. Bravely Default comes pretty close. Make macro #1 attack*5 and blast through standard encounters in a flash. I like to set any area attacks first (the boomerangs, later some characters have spread guns). Combo attacks are super easy to set up, you just make a macro for them and they'll always work (always put the slowest character first, to make sure an enemy doesn't interrupt). All together it's just a really tight version of the standard turn based system, and it's nice to see something that's just classic and well done.

The story is big. There's a lot of Phantasy Star history to draw on (and cameos or Easter Eggs if you know a little about the series). You go to multiple planets that are all pretty large, and you even recruit some aliens! And robots! Robo would like that. The characters are pretty consistent and fairly well fleshed out (for a game from this time). The manga style cutscenes really help tell the story. You see lots of actions and emotion there that sprites just moving around don't convey as well. There's also the Big Twist that comes at around the 1/4 or 1/3 mark, that I hope doesn't get spoiled for you. At the time it was a huge deal. There's also a few little twists later on, as they pull back slowly to reveal the real big bad (which is basically the biggest bad possible, and all of the not-actually-final-bosses before it are nods to the older PS games, which is fun).

You also get to drive a tank. And a hovercraft. And a giant ice drilling machine. And when you drive around on the world map like this, you still get into encounters...where you mercilessly annihilate regular enemies with lasers, machine guns, bombs and missiles. Early in the game there's a giant killer sandworm that will wipe your party out if you don't immediately run. You don't get back to kill it by hand until way later in the game. But if you drive into that area with the tank when you get it, it's so satisfying to just decimate the thing while it just bounces off you

You also get a spell that removes you from dungeons, and another that teleports you to any town in the game that you've visited. Incredibly convenient. There are some long dungeons, and you might need to do a bit of grinding...but the fact that you can effortlessly teleport out and back to an Inn in just a few seconds really helps. And, if you didn't realize, you can always sleep at your own house for free. Oh, can't forget the Talk command (which changes to Mumble when you're alone, hilariously). Your characters will have a little conversation to remind you where you are in the game and what you should be doing. Incredibly helpful when you come back from a break, and also basically ensures you can't get hopelessly lost (this was, again, huge back in the day). There's also an adventurers guild that hands out quests at one point in the game, which are pretty fun. Except for the one where you rescue a dog, fuck that dog.

I could go on and on, but it's basically a really classic style JRPG, pre-FF7 changing everything, that has a lot packed into it. It's very solid, and anyone that likes that style of game should really, really give it a solid chance.

uyvfOQy.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    This talk on FFXIII's battle system intrigues me. Going to move it up the backlog list a couple notches.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    He is legitimately threatening. Not only is he a strong and capable combatant, he can time travel just like you. And he's been doing it a lot longer.
    He's not a time-traveller, except in the old-fashioned way. He's just immortal. You encounter him in the past because he was alive back then.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Something that the game doesn't point out enough, in my opinion, is that unless you're hitting an elemental weakness Commandos deal twice as much damage as Ravagers,

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Nier 2
    TamerBill wrote: »

Something that the game doesn't point out enough, in my opinion, is that unless you're hitting an elemental weakness Commandos deal twice as much damage as Ravagers,

You also eventually get abilities that lest commandos hit elemental weaknesses.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    TamerBill wrote: »
    The Sauce wrote: »
    He is legitimately threatening. Not only is he a strong and capable combatant, he can time travel just like you. And he's been doing it a lot longer.
    He's not a time-traveller, except in the old-fashioned way. He's just immortal. You encounter him in the past because he was alive back then.
    That's probably technically true, but there's one key addition that muddles things.
    He can see the entire timeline. As a result, when you change time at one point, a past version of him can see that this has happened and respond to your actions at an even earlier time to adjust.

The game repeatedly talks about how altering time doesn't just affect the future - it also affects the past. It doesn't explain how this is so directly, but the reason is because past-Caius becomes aware that things have changed & how, then adjusts to compensate. This is effectively the same as actually teleporting around through time, though the mechanism itself is rather different (notably it's less constrained since he's not limited by specific time warp points).

Fire Emblem Fates
    It looks like he's tried to play PSIV twice and given up on it twice, so I'm not sure how you can convince him that any game is good. Or if you should even bother.

YOu never did tell me what makes it so good, or what I should be looking for or what I might be missing. I'll probably still pick it back up but it would help if you told me a bit about what makes you think the game is great.

I made a big post in another thread one time, which is when I assume you tried the game before. Your next post after it was something like 'man Phantasy Star is anime as hell' and then I never heard you mention it again.

Basically I compare it to Chrono Trigger. They were both released near the end of their systems' lives, when the Saturn or N64 were either out or at least looming on the horizon. They're huge games that are made with basically as much knowledge as you can have of the systems' power. PSIV comes on a special cart with extra storage space and cost around $100 at launch, for example (but came in a cardboard box with a B&W manual...). But they're in that pre-FF7 window before everything just changed for JRPGs. When everything was mostly just 'done this way' they were probably the best examples of the traditional JRPG, both playstyle, story and presentation-wise. I only had a Genesis at the time, and when I eventually borrowed a SNES from one of my friends, who were always hyping up the great RPGs it had, the only one that didn't disappoint was CT. That's why I compare them so much, because I think they're the shining examples from this era of RPGs, and everyone should play both. They're also pretty similar in other ways...combo attacks, travelling around in a silver spaceship to different worlds, one lead character with a rotating cast that eventually all join together at the end, heavy anime designs, etc.

First off, the combat system is really good. The Skill/Technique split gives you some interesting options. You can use your MP for a healing spell, or damage, but with Skills you always know you have x of the fire attack, or whatever. The macro system is what really sets this game apart, though, and it's something I wish basically every turn based RPG had. Bravely Default comes pretty close. Make macro #1 attack*5 and blast through standard encounters in a flash. I like to set any area attacks first (the boomerangs, later some characters have spread guns). Combo attacks are super easy to set up, you just make a macro for them and they'll always work (always put the slowest character first, to make sure an enemy doesn't interrupt). All together it's just a really tight version of the standard turn based system, and it's nice to see something that's just classic and well done.

The story is big. There's a lot of Phantasy Star history to draw on (and cameos or Easter Eggs if you know a little about the series). You go to multiple planets that are all pretty large, and you even recruit some aliens! And robots! Robo would like that. The characters are pretty consistent and fairly well fleshed out (for a game from this time). The manga style cutscenes really help tell the story. You see lots of actions and emotion there that sprites just moving around don't convey as well. There's also the Big Twist that comes at around the 1/4 or 1/3 mark, that I hope doesn't get spoiled for you. At the time it was a huge deal. There's also a few little twists later on, as they pull back slowly to reveal the real big bad (which is basically the biggest bad possible, and all of the not-actually-final-bosses before it are nods to the older PS games, which is fun).

You also get to drive a tank. And a hovercraft. And a giant ice drilling machine. And when you drive around on the world map like this, you still get into encounters...where you mercilessly annihilate regular enemies with lasers, machine guns, bombs and missiles. Early in the game there's a giant killer sandworm that will wipe your party out if you don't immediately run. You don't get back to kill it by hand until way later in the game. But if you drive into that area with the tank when you get it, it's so satisfying to just decimate the thing while it just bounces off you

You also get a spell that removes you from dungeons, and another that teleports you to any town in the game that you've visited. Incredibly convenient. There are some long dungeons, and you might need to do a bit of grinding...but the fact that you can effortlessly teleport out and back to an Inn in just a few seconds really helps. And, if you didn't realize, you can always sleep at your own house for free. Oh, can't forget the Talk command (which changes to Mumble when you're alone, hilariously). Your characters will have a little conversation to remind you where you are in the game and what you should be doing. Incredibly helpful when you come back from a break, and also basically ensures you can't get hopelessly lost (this was, again, huge back in the day). There's also an adventurers guild that hands out quests at one point in the game, which are pretty fun. Except for the one where you rescue a dog, fuck that dog.

I could go on and on, but it's basically a really classic style JRPG, pre-FF7 changing everything, that has a lot packed into it. It's very solid, and anyone that likes that style of game should really, really give it a solid chance.

All right, I'll keep this in mind for when I pick the game back up. Maybe try to see what Macros do

I think you're kind of lionizing the affect that FF7 had on things mechanically, though. It didn't really "change everything" in that outside of its cutscenes it was a very normal JRPG

dN0T6ur.png
    FF7 remake
    So I think I figured out what the problem was with FF13 on Steam.

I don't know if it's because I was using a controller when I started the game, and then switched to the keyboard partway through, but they REALLY didn't like that, apparently. Once I started using a controller again, it's been running fine.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    So I think I figured out what the problem was with FF13 on Steam.

I don't know if it's because I was using a controller when I started the game, and then switched to the keyboard partway through, but they REALLY didn't like that, apparently. Once I started using a controller again, it's been running fine.

a lot of steam games seem to do that, where they just freak the fudge out if you switch from a controller/kbm

Javen wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »

I think it's just a perception thing, they used accuracy for both ranged and melee attacks. 2/3rds acc+Weap or something g like that

Yeah, it's two thirds. Power for the rest is more like 1.7. Even though Marle's and Lucca's Accuracy are much lower than anybody else's Power.

You could max Marle's Accuracy in DS. It's not vaguely worth the effort.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Now when are we gonna get wyborn to play crisis core, the best final fantasy game of the past ten years

Hullis

I like you

Though I would say that Theatrhythm Curtain Call is actually the best FF of the last ten years

This discussion has been closed.