As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Prime 2015 International Food Exchange (When You're This Big They Call You Mister)

DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat!I'M BLUE!Registered User regular

Hello and welcome, to another edition of the PAX International Food Exchange. For this, our umpteenth exchange, we'll be coming to you from PAX Prime 2015 in Seattle. Now for all you PAX vets, this may be old hat. For those new to PAX though, this is a community driven event for the exchange of foods (and drinks) we can't normally have in our home countries. Be they prepared foods from far away foreign lands (like Canada, the UK, and ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ), or local goodies that we can take home with us, as long as they travel well they're fair game. With us just about to cross the 30-day mark until the big event, it seems like as good a time as any to get this swaparoo started.

canadian-candy--large-msg-1128309729-2.jpg
Canadians seem to have a fascination with size. Here's a mega-sized list of Canadian foods deemed terrible for you.

Now if still have questions about this exchange, or are just feeling nostalgic, you can check out the past seven exchanges. Fair warning that they are high in fat, calories, sugar, and good times.

The Penny Arcade Expo International Food Exchange - PAX East 2011
The PAX International Food Exchange - PAX Prime 2011
The PAX East 2012 International Food Exchange (now with Retsin!)
The PAX East 2013 International Food Exchange (How do you like your coffee?)
The PAX Prime 2013 International Food Exchange (Do You Eat the Red Ones Last?)
The PAX East 2014 International Food Exchange (The Taste Just Keeps You Comin' Back)
He Likes It! Hey Mikey! PAX International Food Exchange
The PAX South 2015 International Food Exchange (What Is the Caramilk Secret?)

In the past those threads resulted in many great meet-ups being arranged, and many delicious noms being om'd. Now at PAX Primes past, we've failed to establish a good meetup time or location, though we did attempt to congregate in the queue room one afternoon at a previous event. The queue room no longer exists, so I will gladly take suggestions as to a general meetup date and time, and will update this OP when we establish something. If you can't make the meetup don't worry (be happy), just PM the person you want to meet and arrange time and place.

jaffa-cakes.jpg
Jaffa Cakes are from the UK, and officially sanctioned safety food item. Here's some other brands from around the world.

So what is the point of all this? Well this is the "official" thread for the exchange and delicious foods from all over. This is meant as an open forum to post what delicious noms you are bringing to PAX to share with your unfortunate American cousins, and for our awesome American hosts to make requests. Intra-Commonwealth transactions are also allowed of course. You can make exchanges, offer cash, or in the spirit of the PAX community simply share for the sake of sharing. It's your call. As this has come up in recent years you can also exchange alcohol via this thread, but be aware that drugs and alcohol are not allowed in PAX. You'll have to make other arrangements to swap.

Meet-up place will be posted here if one is arranged.

Note: Please be aware of the laws for importing and exporting foods, both in your country of origin and destination. Links to the four main governing bodies we will be dealing with can be found here. Any others? Suggest them in thread and I'll add them.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
HM Revenue & Customs
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
Australian Customs and Border Protection Service

We can also take suggestions as to interesting things to take home, and probe around if a certain delicious nom is or isn't available in great USandA. It's all up to you. Happy trading, and we'll see you at PAX!

*** I get to add something to the Kinder Surprise warning. Also be aware of laws for importing and exporting fresh produce and meat products. Two by two hands of blue with be examining you if you don't heed these warnings. ***

cavities.jpg
We have actually had PAXers have their luggage opened and Kinders confiscated. They pose a serious risk to freedom apparently.

Enjoy folks :)

camo_sig2.png
I never finish anyth

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    While walking along my local Sainbury's multitude of aisles I happened upon one what I thought may be interest to the fine people of this very forum:
    Food_Exchange_zpsmt6zpua0.jpg

This is only half of it by the way, which is why there are no Jaffa Cakes in it, sorry. Anyway if anyone wants to kick off the food exchange PAX usually has every year I'm willing to assist in this endeavour. Let me know what takes your fancy and I'm sure we can work something out. Oh and for those that haven't figured it out yet, I'm from the UK :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I too would be willing to bring some stuff down from Canada. Just need to know a few weeks before PAX as I am on holiday from the 15th of August on.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Can you get your hands on Minties? I'd love a couple extra super large bags of them :biggrin: Funny I was just thinking of PMing you about them and here you make this post.. I'm hoping its fate!

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    I would be one of those people who import All Dressed Chips on an industrial scale. Just crane that into my house and I can dump them into a big pool and swim around in them. Dang you Canadians.

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    I dunno if you can buy the Cadbury scoops all year around, but if you can I'm pretty sure I may need to work something out with you (unfortunately most Oregon food is not travelable, but I can get you a voodoo donut LOL)

• DeToX86DeToX86 Registered User regular
    I'm in the market for Coffee Crisp and Mint Aero from Canada. Please pm me with/for details. Thanks.

edited July 2015
    Forgot about Aero Dark as well, and Mars.

DeToX86 on
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    scoops from England would make my wife VERY happy (but aware they may be seasonal) :)

edited July 2015
    I posted a separate thread to this one, but this seems official :) As inspiration to those who are not familiar with UK foodstuffs, here is a pic of a food aisle at my local Sainsbury's:

Food_Exchange_zpsmt6zpua0.jpg

So if you want some sweets AKA candy from Old Timey Land then put your offers up here.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2015
    Ah, see, I knew someone had posted one already, just didn't see it on my pass through. They are now merged.

zerzhul on
  • jinjubeijinjubei Registered User new member
    I have a deep and urging need to acquire jaffa cakes I am from VA, but can acquire most Korean/Japanese snack foods/candies in trade.

I have received a request for Jolly Ranchers from a work colleague. Specifically apple and cherry flavoured ones. I have no idea what these are and from research appear to be similar to Fox's Glacier Fruits. I can offer UK based candy/sweets in exchange for said Jolly Ranchers.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• jinjubeijinjubei Registered User new member
    kropotkin wrote: »
    I have received a request for Jolly Ranchers from a work colleague. Specifically apple and cherry flavoured ones. I have no idea what these are and from research appear to be similar to Fox's Glacier Fruits. I can offer UK based candy/sweets in exchange for said Jolly Ranchers.
    I can provide 160-counts of each (roughly 2lbs) in exchange for something(jaffa cakes?) I'm not overly certain of what UK candies are like.

• ForwardForward Registered User regular
    i would like it if i could get my hands on some fruitopia! i have read that it is still sold in canada so if some of our northern neighbors could see their way to bringing some down i could bring things along to trade. i think that most of the things here in the usa are boring and can just be bought in seattle but i can bring some good hermiston watermelons, or bawls soda, or what ever you'd like in trade. also i'm open to trading for other tasty noms i've neverknown of?

• FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Forward wrote: »
    i would like it if i could get my hands on some fruitopia! i have read that it is still sold in canada so if some of our northern neighbors could see their way to bringing some down i could bring things along to trade. i think that most of the things here in the usa are boring and can just be bought in seattle but i can bring some good hermiston watermelons, or bawls soda, or what ever you'd like in trade. also i'm open to trading for other tasty noms i've neverknown of?

Were you looking for a specific flavor?

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
    edited July 2015
    jinjubei wrote: »
    I can provide 160-counts of each (roughly 2lbs) in exchange for something(jaffa cakes?) I'm not overly certain of what UK candies are like.

I can get you a yard long box of Jaffa Cakes (I'm not joking) but I can also offer the following:

1) Minstrels - Milk chocolate disks that are twice the size of M&Ms and taste 10 times better as they are made with actual sugar and not corn syrup stuff used a lot in American confectionary
    2) Terry's Chocolate Orange - a chocolate ball sliced into segments and infused with orange flavouring. Comes in milk, white and dark chocolate variants.
    3) Fox's Glacier Mints/Fruits - Hard boiled sweets made from real sugar, very high quality and tasty too.
    4) Double decker - Multi layered chocolate bar with nougat on top and crispy cereal coated in chocolate in the bottom
    5) Maltesers - Milk chocolate spheres made from honeycomb biscuit.
    6) Jelly Babies - Chewy fruit candy in the shape of little babies, made famous by Dr Who.
    7) Flake - Sticks of chocolate made from very thin sheets of milk chocolate and layered upon each other
    8) Hobnob biscuit - Oatmeal cookie that come plain, milk chocolate and dark chocolate covering. Very nice with a cup of Builder's Tea.
    9) Thornton's Chocolate - Slightly expensive but very nice chocolate in many different varieties
    10) Roses/Quality Street/Heroes/Celebrations - Boxes of small chocolates with different fillings

Let me know if any of those interest you and I can bring it along. Thanks for the Jolly Ranchers, my work colleague is most appreciative.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• ForwardForward Registered User regular
    Fenrisfang wrote: »
    Forward wrote: »

Were you looking for a specific flavor?

well way back when it was sold down here there was a flavor called kiwiberry ruckus that i liked, but if that is not a thing any more then what ever is good now works lol

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

I can get you a yard long box of Jaffa Cakes (I'm not joking) but I can also offer the following:

1) Minstrels - Milk chocolate disks that are twice the size of M&Ms and taste 10 times better as they are made with actual sugar and not corn syrup stuff used a lot in American confectionary
    2) Terry's Chocolate Orange - a chocolate ball sliced into segments and infused with orange flavouring. Comes in milk, white and dark chocolate variants.
    3) Fox's Glacier Mints/Fruits - Hard boiled sweets made from real sugar, very high quality and tasty too.
    4) Double decker - Multi layered chocolate bar with nougat on top and crispy cereal coated in chocolate in the bottom
    6) Jelly Babies - Chewy fruit candy in the shape of little babies, made famous by Dr Who.
    7) Flake - Sticks of chocolate made from very thin sheets of milk chocolate and layered upon each other
    8) Hobnob biscuit - Oatmeal cookie that come plain, milk chocolate and dark chocolate covering. Very nice with a cup of Builder's Tea.
    9) Thornton's Chocolate - Slightly expensive but very nice chocolate in many different varieties
    10) Roses/Quality Street/Heroes/Celebrations - Boxes of small chocolates with different fillings

Let me know if any of those interest you and I can bring it along. Thanks for the Jolly Ranchers, my work colleague is most appreciative.

Can you get the pear flavored jaffa cakes?

Also, you should take him some Now n' Laters too. If he loves american sweeties, he'll be doubly happy with those.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    edited July 2015
    Anything else you are looking for kropotkin? Several of those items on your list sound yummy... Course I can always provide yet more jolly ranchers :)

While looking up Jaffa Cakes to figure out what they were I ran across this US based distributor seems pretty reasonable priced but currently out of the McVities brand http://britishfooddepot.com/biscuits-cookies/jaffa-cakes/?gclid=CJrEmLmthMcCFUuTfgodpzkO1w

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

ElmoFuntz wrote: »

And what the heck are these jaffa cakes I keep hearing about..

They're called Pims over here, but the European ones are better. Sponge cake cookies with orange jam and chocolate

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Pear-flavoured Jaffa cakes?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Pims do pear jaffa cakes but they are fake french jaffa cakes not the original McVities ones :P

Mcvities only do orange (normal) and occasionally Lemon and Line, Strawberry, Blackcurrant flavours
    (as a side note of curiosity are Blackcurrant plants still banned in most of the US or have more states opened up to growing them yet?)

I may bring some stuff over from the UK this year (depends how much of a grumpy old man I am at the time :) )

shadowscout on

Can you get the pear flavored jaffa cakes?

Also, you should take him some Now n' Laters too. If he loves american sweeties, he'll be doubly happy with those.

Pear flavoured Jaffa Cakes? Pear flavoured Jaffa Cakes? WHAT IS THIS HERECY YOU SPEAK OF??? No. Just NO. NO NO NO NO. Jaffa Cakes have orange jello infused into them and always will.

As for the offer of Now n' Laters, she (yes it's a she) was quite specific on the Jolly Ranchers. She rather liked them last year so let's stick with the same this year.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

Anything else you are looking for kropotkin? Several of those items on your list sound yummy... Course I can always provide yet more jolly ranchers :)

While looking up Jaffa Cakes to figure out what they were I ran across this US based distributor seems pretty reasonable priced but currently out of the McVities brand http://britishfooddepot.com/biscuits-cookies/jaffa-cakes/?gclid=CJrEmLmthMcCFUuTfgodpzkO1w

I'm not sure that I'm needing any more Jolly Ranchers. What else can you recommend that I may be tempted by?

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

I'm not sure that I'm needing any more Jolly Ranchers. What else can you recommend that I may be tempted by?
    Do you like the idea of a dried apricot infused with an unbelievable level of salt? How about tamarind candy? Those are both readily available close to the Mexican Border where I live.
    In less contentious candy, do Oreos come in many flavors overseas. Here in the states, you can get Lemon, S'mores, Birthday Cake, and some others.

edited July 2015
    Coffee Crisp.... Mint Aeros.... Please!

I can get some stuff for trade or I'll just pay straight cash. I'd take a box of each or as little as just 1 candy bar.

DeToX86 on
    edited July 2015

Pear flavoured Jaffa Cakes? Pear flavoured Jaffa Cakes? WHAT IS THIS HERECY YOU SPEAK OF??? No. Just NO. NO NO NO NO. Jaffa Cakes have orange jello infused into them and always will.

As for the offer of Now n' Laters, she (yes it's a she) was quite specific on the Jolly Ranchers. She rather liked them last year so let's stick with the same this year.

1) I like the pear ones, don't judge me.
    2) I was suggesting the Now n Laters in addition to, not instead of Jolly Ranchers - hence the usage of the word "too" in the post.
    (as a side note of curiosity are Blackcurrant plants still banned in most of the US or have more states opened up to growing them yet?)

What? I have never heard of such a thing. You can buy fresh black, red and white currants in some grocery stores here, grown on local commercial farms. Got a link or anything?

Pims over here do orange and raspberry. They did pear for a while but Americans don't like it, I guess. They were fantastic.

LexiconGrrl on
    edited July 2015

What? I have never heard of such a thing. You can buy fresh black, red and white currants in some grocery stores here, grown on local commercial farms. Got a link or anything?

From Wikipedia:
    Blackcurrants were once popular in the United States as well, but became less common in the 20th century after currant farming was banned in the early 1900s, when blackcurrants, as a vector of white pine blister rust, were considered a threat to the U.S. logging industry. The federal ban on growing currants was shifted to jurisdiction of individual states in 1966, and was lifted in New York State in 2003 through the efforts of horticulturist Greg Quinn. As a result, currant growing is making a comeback in New York, Vermont, Connecticut and Oregon. However, several statewide bans still exist including Maine, New Hampshire, Virginia and Massachusetts. Since the American federal ban curtailed currant production nationally for nearly a century, the fruit remains largely unknown in the United States, and has yet to regain its previous popularity to levels enjoyed in Europe or New Zealand. Owing to its unique flavour and richness in polyphenols, dietary fibre and essential nutrients, awareness and popularity of blackcurrant is once again growing, with a number of consumer products entering the U.S. market.

YoungFrey on
    edited July 2015
    YoungFrey wrote: »

From Wikipedia:
    Blackcurrants were once popular in the United States as well, but became less common in the 20th century after currant farming was banned in the early 1900s, when blackcurrants, as a vector of white pine blister rust, were considered a threat to the U.S. logging industry. The federal ban on growing currants was shifted to jurisdiction of individual states in 1966, and was lifted in New York State in 2003 through the efforts of horticulturist Greg Quinn. As a result, currant growing is making a comeback in New York, Vermont, Connecticut and Oregon. However, several statewide bans still exist including Maine, New Hampshire, Virginia and Massachusetts. Since the American federal ban curtailed currant production nationally for nearly a century, the fruit remains largely unknown in the United States, and has yet to regain its previous popularity to levels enjoyed in Europe or New Zealand. Owing to its unique flavour and richness in polyphenols, dietary fibre and essential nutrients, awareness and popularity of blackcurrant is once again growing, with a number of consumer products entering the U.S. market.

Huh! Sounds largely like an East Coast blight. I would hazard a guess that they're legal in most states now but Americans lost their taste for them, so there's not much market anymore. That and bullshit seed control politics could prevent a popular comeback from those old laws.

EDIT: Just did some more research (this topic is of great interest to me, could you tell?), and it looks like White Blister Pine Rust, which is the fungus that prompted the ban in 1911 is most problematic in the Northeast. Maine and New York have both lifted their currant and gooseberry bans but it looks like the mid-Atlantic states like Virginia and the Carolinas don't have the same organic/artisanal farming communities and challenges to the bill - if any - have been weak. I've found loads of articles on farmers who challenged the laws in the Northeast and won but just about nothing in those central states. I can't ever remember currants or gooseberries being illegal on the West Coast (I was born after 1966), and they're a common garden berry, plus we have wild flowering red currant all over the woods here. I'm pretty sure that even a federal ban would have been impossible to enforce over here for the first part of the century, at least as far as private gardens go.

@YoungFrey - You're my best friend today. This is the kind of fascinating heritage food and agriculture stuff that gives me lady boners.

If anybody wants to try raw American currants, let me know and I'll get some frozen and send them with someone to the exchange (the season just ended last week). I've got some red and white in my freezer and can get black ones from the store.

LexiconGrrl on
  • wyndstarwyndstar West coast CanadaRegistered User regular
    browsing the forums and i saw this post. coming from Canada I can bring some stuff... coffee crisp etc
    would love jaffa cakes or minstrels. or i'm sure i can be tempted with other yummies.

PAX 2015: got tickets, woo hoo!
    PAX 2014: had a blast.. let's do it again!
    wyndstar wrote: »
    browsing the forums and i saw this post. coming from Canada I can bring some stuff... coffee crisp etc
    would love jaffa cakes or minstrels. or i'm sure i can be tempted with other yummies.

You are my new Canadian Hero!

I will take whatever you are willing to bring me up to a box of Coffee Crisp and Mint Aero, only 1 bar of each, or anything in between. If there's anything from Minnesota you'd like let me know and I'll see if I can track it down. Never heard of Jaffa Cakes or Minstrels so I'm thinking they're from elsewhere.

edited August 2015
    Ohai - For those of you coming from non-Pacific rim areas or communities without an Asian megasuperstore, Seattle is your go-to destination for more flavors of wacky ramen than you can shake a stick at. Uwajimaya is the closest store to the Con, but if you can find your way to HT Market in the International District, they've got an entire aisle of ramen.

2010_8_18_wtg_002.jpg

Indonesian Ramen, Korean Ramen, Japanese Ramen, Chinese Ramen... Curry ramen, Onion ramen, Satay ramen, Crayfish ramen, Extra spicy pepper ramen.... Ramen with 2, 3 or even 4 different flavoring packs, including seasoned oils, powdered dashi, peppers, fried onions, naruto and seaweed.

LexiconGrrl on
    If anybody want's Mexican flavors, I'm coming up from Tucson and can provide.
    • Takis - Kinda like a rolled corn chip with chilie lime flavor
    • Chile covered Mango
    • Tamarind Pulp
    • Saladitos (a salted dried plum or apricot) - amazingly people eat these.

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I've recently learned that I can get some Kinder bars at a convenience store near my house. I think the kinder bueno white bars have been highly requested in these trades in the past.
    I'd be interested in coffee crisps and all dressed chips.

HI3789R.png
    Ohai - For those of you coming from non-Pacific rim areas or communities without an Asian megasuperstore, Seattle is your go-to destination for more flavors of wacky ramen than you can shake a stick at. Uwajimaya is the closest store to the Con, but if you can find your way to HT Market in the International District, they've got an entire aisle of ramen.

2010_8_18_wtg_002.jpg

Indonesian Ramen, Korean Ramen, Japanese Ramen, Chinese Ramen... Curry ramen, Onion ramen, Satay ramen, Crayfish ramen, Extra spicy pepper ramen.... Ramen with 2, 3 or even 4 different flavoring packs, including seasoned oils, powdered dashi, peppers, fried onions, naruto and seaweed.

Wow that's a lot of ramen I might need to buy a bunch and take some back to pdx.

vn6ID15.png

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    So I went and did a thing.

4SbP1jZl.jpg

The chips are for @punzie though. She might share if you ask nice, but that's not a guarantee I can make. The candy bars are just to generally give out.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • doubleonaddoubleonad Registered User regular
    Anybody want anything from Japan? I'd love to get some All Dressed chips from Canada. Or maybe some Bueno bars for my wife.

doubleonad wrote: »
    Anybody want anything from Japan? I'd love to get some All Dressed chips from Canada. Or maybe some Bueno bars for my wife.
    Can you bring soft Oeros?

• AngryFruitSaladAngryFruitSalad Registered User new member
    I'd love some Toffee Crisp if anyone is able and willing to smuggle some in for me.
    450px-Toffee-Crisp-Wrapper-Small.jpg

s5s4nhu17abi.png

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    doubleonad wrote: »

I would love some weird Japanese candies! Flavored kitkats are a thing that tickles my fancy. I will bring Bueno bars.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png