As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

lame super powers

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Servo wrote:
    Nogs wrote:
    I'd probably jsut use the backwards only time thing in small doses. never more than a day or two. Probably more like 2-5 minute travels, so I can "do-over" a lot of little things.

actually, good point

that would be rad

You could go all Prince on some fool's shit.

and by Prince, I do not mean the dude with the drawn on moustach with the vampy androgynous bandmates, but the Prince of Persia, with his sands of time.

Even that ability to read really fast would be awesome, with the right application. Theoretically, you would have some kind of superhuman eyesight. You could be a really good proofreader or copy editor, or just become really knowledgeable, or maybe even think of more creative applications for it. If your eyes can move really fast, you could maybe develop awesome reflexes, or become some kind of sports star or something.

Are we using examples from comics for this, or are we making up our own stupid power? The thread has not been very clear on this.

DouglasDanger on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How about that kid in the second X-Men movie whose power was apparenlty "having a blue tongue?"

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    How about that kid in the second X-Men movie whose power was apparenlty "having a blue tongue?"
    or change tv channels with blinks kid

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    Servo wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:
    there was a mutant rapper in one of the x-men books whose mutant power was being blue

DJ Eebs on
    edited November 2006
    Servo wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:
    "Gifted" is a very relative term at Xavier's school.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Furu wrote:
    The power to manipulate the winds....up to speeds of 11 miles per hour.

Unless you want to get some raking done, I doubt it matters.

The real worst super power though? That mutant kid in that issue of Ultimate X-Men.

You know the one.

s'plain?

[spoiler:5e4dff02a6]He kills everyone in a certain radius around him. Completely uncontrollable. The only one who could even talk to him was Wolverine. The entire town he lived in, including his family, died. Then wolverine killed him under the orders of Nick Fury, although the kid didn't really mind at that point seeing as how everyone he loves died because of him.[/spoiler:5e4dff02a6]

I thought it was Prof. X, because they wanted to avert the anti-mutant hysteria that would result from the discovery of Kid Genocide.
    Then you haven't read UXM in quite a while. Prof X still doesn't even know about it.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Servo wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:

The highlight of his life came in the third movie when Prof. X asked him to turn on a TV.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited November 2006
    yeah the professor just footed that kid's tuition because he's too damn lazy to wheel his crippled ass over to the tv whenever he wants to turn it on

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The power to know what you're going to do before you do it.

robosagogo on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The power to piss half-dollars.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited November 2006
    i'm going to make a sandwich OH MY GOD I HAVE TO USE THIS POWER WITH RESPONSIBILITY

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited November 2006
    Don't kill anyone with that sandwich.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The ability to.

I was going to say the ability to make sweatpants grow from my head, but, I could be down for that.

projectmayhem on
    edited November 2006
    The ability to think of lame powers.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The power to "play" any episode of Saved by an Angel(Touched by an Angel?) in your mind's eye. Death could not come fast enough if I woke up with that power.

Caveman Paws on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    the ability to memorize every episode of charles in charge

DJ Eebs on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What about powers that'd be pretty cool in real life, but really kind of lame if you lived in the Marvel or DC universes? Like, growing really big and shrinking could both be cool in real life, but in Marvel everybody and their brother can do that. Generic low-end super strength is another one of those things. Like, yeah you can maybe benchpress half a ton, but whenever Spider-Man can do eight times that and then swing around the city and do wacky acrobatic shit, it'd sort of blow.

This thread actually sort of reminds me of a short story I read the other night, Third Rate Superhero. It's about a dude with crappy powers (the ability to control about a gallon of water at a time, shooting it in a stream, a fine mist, or a ball), and how he admires everyone who can do the really cool stuff, and how he, year after year, fails to get a permanent superheroing job, and he has to keep doing freelance hero work along with a fulltime job just to keep his hero certification and keep living in his shitty apartment, where he can only afford to eat two-for-a-dollar tacos from a vendor across the street, and drink warm beer since he can't pay his electric bill.

Munch on
  • revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Munch wrote:
    What about powers that'd be pretty cool in real life, but really kind of lame if you lived in the Marvel or DC universes? Like, growing really big and shrinking could both be cool in real life, but in Marvel everybody and their brother can do that. Generic low-end super strength is another one of those things. Like, yeah you can maybe benchpress half a ton, but whenever Spider-Man can do eight times that and then swing around the city and do wacky acrobatic shit, it'd sort of blow.

This thread actually sort of reminds me of a short story I read the other night, Third Rate Superhero. It's about a dude with crappy powers (the ability to control about a gallon of water at a time, shooting it in a stream, a fine mist, or a ball), and how he admires everyone who can do the really cool stuff, and how he, year after year, fails to get a permanent superheroing job, and he has to keep doing freelance hero work along with a fulltime job just to keep his hero certification and keep living in his shitty apartment, where he can only afford to eat two-for-a-dollar tacos from a vendor across the street, and drink warm beer since he can't pay his electric bill.

Imagine being stuck with one power of a superhero's, when they possess many. I.E., having Superman's super-hearing, or being able to burst into flames(ala the Human Torch), without having the ability to..you know, not burn to death

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    revolve wrote:
    Munch wrote:

Imagine being stuck with one power of a superhero's, when they possess many. I.E., having Superman's super-hearing, or being able to burst into flames(ala the Human Torch), without having the ability to..you know, not burn to death

Wolverine's claws without the healing factor

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
    edited November 2006
    Gonna get me some of that super-weaving.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The power to somehow enjoy Will and Grace.

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Having an evil alter ego with super strength that can take over your body at will. Poor strippermom.

Deans on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    There's a line between fantasy and absurdity. That's just stupid.

On topic, I'd hate to be able to hover. Not fly, but hover, like a foot off the ground.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dex Dynamo wrote:

On topic, I'd hate to be able to hover. Not fly, but hover, like a foot off the ground.

And you lose all your momentum if you try to go over water.

Mai-Kero on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Superspeed without any of the speedforce protection would suck. You might make it ten steps before your clothes caught on fire, your tendons and muscles tore to pieces, and third degree friction burns appear anywhere on your body where flesh rubs together.

Munch on
  • revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Dex Dynamo wrote:

And you lose all your momentum if you try to go over water.

Guys named Biff aren't susceptible to this problem.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Instantly transport yourself to any light source you see.

[spoiler:e3db3d7abc]Hello, Sun. lol[/spoiler:e3db3d7abc]

I think that was used in a marvel comic at some point.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    the ability to fire tacos from your mouth.

FierceDeity666 on
    edited November 2006
    the ability to fire tacos from your mouth.

Framling would love it if I had this power.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited November 2006
    Munch wrote:

i had a whole talk about this one time and my choice now is the same as it was then. i would take cypher's powers.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Super Leprosy. Your appendages rot and fall off at advanced speed!

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bat-mans Dead parents without the cash or the smarts to do anything about it.

Bucketman on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Gonna get me some of that super-weaving.

Personally, I'd go with his super-destructive laughter.

KalTorak on
  • SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The ability to smell 100x better than normal. Oh god that would suck.

SkankPlaya on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    The ability to smell 100x better than normal. Oh god that would suck.

How would that suck exactly?

Comahawk on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    At first I thought he meant having a nicer scent.

But if you mean enhanced sense of smell, yes, it would.

Scooter on
  • SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I mean enhanced sense of smell. I realized after I posted it, ability to smell better isn't right, but I meant sense of smell. The only benefit I can see from this is that food would be really awesome, but even that might end up going overboard.

SkankPlaya on
    edited November 2006
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    I mean enhanced sense of smell. I realized after I posted it, ability to smell better isn't right, but I meant sense of smell. The only benefit I can see from this is that food would be really awesome, but even that might end up going overboard.

I don't know, I think it would be pretty sweet, but a dog's sense of smell amazes me too... Really wonder what it would be like.

You could like track people down, I don't know, I think it would be nifty.

Comahawk on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Comahawk wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:

I don't know, I think it would be pretty sweet, but a dog's sense of smell amazes me too... Really wonder what it would be like.

That one would be pretty bad for me because of my current roommate.
    He, well....

He doesn't shower.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    edited November 2006
    JayKaos wrote:
    Comahawk wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:

That one would be pretty bad for me because of my current roommate.
    He, well....

He doesn't shower.

Kick him in the gut and throw him in the bathroom, tie that door handle to another object in the room that is weighed down and tell him he gets to come out once he has showered.

Comahawk on