As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any beer lovers interested in beer trade/bottle share?

• Options
    PidermansVestPidermansVest Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I too am from Bellingham, WA! There are some great breweries up here, as mentioned previously. I'll try and bring something from Aslan. Anyone like darker beers/stouts?

(I can totally bring some local hard cider to taste too, if that's something anyone wants/okay.)

Is anyone familiar with Big Sky Brewery? I really want to try their Heavy Horse scotch ale and/or Bobo's Robust Porter.

PidermansVest on
  • Options
    f33rNapalmf33rNapalm Registered User regular
    I too am from Bellingham, WA! There are some great breweries up here, as mentioned previously. I'll try and bring something from Aslan. Anyone like darker beers/stouts?

(I can totally bring some local hard cider to taste too, if that's something anyone wants/okay.)

Is anyone familiar with Big Sky Brewery? I really want to try their Heavy Horse scotch ale and/or Bobo's Robust Porter.

Aslan is great! My wife is a big fan of their Disco Lemonade, and I'm always down for a nice stout. Cider is perfectly acceptable too, it's pretty much part of the beer scene at this point.

So it's sounding like Saturday night is good for for most people, especially if it's a little later on, after panels have ended. So maybe we'll aim for a 9:30pm start on Saturday, August 29th.

In case anyone is coming in from further away, I'll open up my hotel room Saturday morning if anyone wants to drop off their beer ahead of time.

• Options
    mikegmi2mikegmi2 Registered User regular
    Flying in from Detroit...might not be able to make this beer swap, but was wondering what breweries around PAX I should check out? Is Elysian worth the walk...I heard they were bought out by Busch? I've been to Six Arms which I enjoyed.

If I can make it to the swap, is anyone interested in any SE Michigan breweries? Kuhnhenn, Dragonmead?

• Options
    mikegmi2 wrote: »
    Flying in from Detroit...might not be able to make this beer swap, but was wondering what breweries around PAX I should check out? Is Elysian worth the walk...I heard they were bought out by Busch? I've been to Six Arms which I enjoyed.

If I can make it to the swap, is anyone interested in any SE Michigan breweries? Kuhnhenn, Dragonmead?

Elysian makes good beer, and was purchased by AB, sadly. Their brewmaster has moved on, but I'm sure all the old recipes still hold up without him.

Since I'm sure you'll be visiting Pike Place at some point, you might as well make a stop at Pike Brewing, they make some decent beer and the food is good too. My personal favourite in Seattle is Holy Mountain, but they're a little out of the way, maybe take an Uber or a cab if you want to visit them. There's some really good stuff up in Fremont and Ballard as well, namely Fremont Brewing and Stoup, to name a couple. Here's a map of places that might be of interest: http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=seattle#lat=undefined&lng=undefined&z=7 It's missing some stops, and some things on it may no longer be around, but it's pretty handy overall.

As for Michigan breweries, I've never had anything from Dragonmead or Kuhnhenn, but I'm always down for something new. Bells, Founders and Jolly Pumpkin are all favourites of mine, and a lot of their stuff can be hard-impossible to find out West. None of them sell in Canada where I live.

• Options
    Waldo33Waldo33 Registered User regular
    This sounds awesome! I'm also from Vancouver so I'll probably bring a combo of beer from Van and beer from the states (deschutes... mmmmmm).

• Options
    nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like I'll be able to make this, although I'm not sure how steady I'll be walking from my previous engagement. :) My homebrewing friend has tipped me off to some selections from here in Vancouver, WA. I will be happy to sample stouts & porters from where ever you may hail!

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    kabutodudekabutodude Registered User regular
    I should be able to make it on Saturday. I'm going to look for something local to bring. Is it okay to bring a growler? It seems like most of the local breweries don't bottle anything except their ipa and porter.

• Options
    BullBull Registered User regular
    here you go :)
    kfkuz99m54c0.jpg

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Woops... been outta touch with this thread a bit!
    So is this just kind of drop in when you can or is there a signup sheet?

Also is there a Google Spreadsheet going for this at all?
    If not, I think I have one from when I ran this 2 years ago. Would be nice to know what beer/cider is all coming!

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Google sheet link is in the OP @ Serenity.

As a side note if anyone arrives on Thurs around 1ish is planning some type craft beer (local) crawl later, please hit me up. Trying to broaden my beers outside of stouts and DIPA and I'd love to meet more PAX beer admirers!

This is not to be confused w/ the Pre PAX bar crawl thats later.

Also If anyone is coming from Cali, looking for some Pliny!

flashe on
  • Options
    Speaking of Russian River, if anyone has a bottle of consecration or supplication I'd love to setup a trade. It was disappointing when they pulled distribution from Washington.

• Options
    kabutodude wrote: »
    I should be able to make it on Saturday. I'm going to look for something local to bring. Is it okay to bring a growler? It seems like most of the local breweries don't bottle anything except their ipa and porter.

Growler's are fine. If anyone wants to come just for a bottleshare rather than a swap that's perfectly fine with me. I'll be bringing a few things to pop open and pour tasters of, in addition to stuff to trade.
    Serenity wrote: »
    Woops... been outta touch with this thread a bit!
    So is this just kind of drop in when you can or is there a signup sheet?

Also is there a Google Spreadsheet going for this at all?
    If not, I think I have one from when I ran this 2 years ago. Would be nice to know what beer/cider is all coming!

Google Doc can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y4tTQzn7KfhXWJCaD-nhL9AHkXnQqMhakF-2jWzsH1E/edit#gid=0
    flashe wrote: »
    As a side note if anyone arrives on Thurs around 1ish is planning some type craft beer (local) crawl later, please hit me up. Trying to broaden my beers outside of stouts and DIPA and I'd love to meet more PAX beer admirers!

This is not to be confused w/ the Pre PAX bar crawl thats later.

Also If anyone is coming from Cali, looking for some Pliny!

I'm getting into Seattle mid-afternoon on Wednesday, so I'll be around on Thursday afternoon. Probably hitting up Pinebox for dinner & brews before heading over to the Pre-Pax Boardgame night, you're more than welcome to tag along if you'd like.

And I'll second a call for Pliny and Consecration/Supplication.

• Options
    I got my beer shopping done today, but I probably won't be able to fit all of it in my luggage.
    If anyone has a specific beer they want me to pack for trade/tasting just send me a PM.

xzjrb3sne4ht.jpg

• Options
    kabutodude wrote: »
    I got my beer shopping done today, but I probably won't be able to fit all of it in my luggage.
    If anyone has a specific beer they want me to pack for trade/tasting just send me a PM.

xzjrb3sne4ht.jpg

Those all look delicious. No requests from me, I'd drink any of those quite happily.

• Options
    Also, I'll update the OP and Google Doc tomorrow with a room number for all you lovely folks, after I check into the hotel.

• Options
    Beautiful! Some great beers coming guys!
    Just looking on some clarification on what I should bring though.

So TO TRADE, we can bring 2 six packs and then a bomber? And then TO TASTE, you can bring a growler or other larger item?

Also to my Canadian friends - what's the limit for bringing beer down?

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    Serenity wrote: »
    Beautiful! Some great beers coming guys!
    Just looking on some clarification on what I should bring though.

So TO TRADE, we can bring 2 six packs and then a bomber? And then TO TASTE, you can bring a growler or other larger item?

Also to my Canadian friends - what's the limit for bringing beer down?

I'm bringing 12 bottles (3x4packs) for trading, 6 for me, 6 for my wife. I've also got three bomber size+ bottles for tasting. You can bring bombers for trading if you'd like. Growlers are also welcome for tasting as well.

I just passed through the border with all of it about 20 minutes ago, no problems at all. If they ask, specify that it's for a tasting and trading event, not for sale.

I don't know of any limit entering the US, but there are limits when returning to Canada, so keep that in mind for the journey home. You can bring up to 8 liters of beer per person back into Canada, with a minimum stay of 48 hours in the US.

• Options
    Alright cool!
    Wow, a lot of 33 acres! Looks like we'll have just about every one of their beers! ;-)

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    Alright! All checked in, my beer made it through the bus ride and customs safe and sound.

See you all on Saturday, at 9:30 at the Motif! I've updated the Google doc with the room number.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y4tTQzn7KfhXWJCaD-nhL9AHkXnQqMhakF-2jWzsH1E/edit#gid=0

Now I'm off to find a something tasty on tap.

• Options
    hexx462hexx462 Registered User regular
    I'll be bouncing from a panel about 10:00 but will be right by Motif so can be there quickly with beer to trade.

• Options
    If anyone wants to drop off their beer in advance they can do so on Saturday, up until 10am when I leave to hit the expo floor.

• Options
    Awesome, I will endeavor to do that. I just stopped in the way home and got 6 bottles and 2 bombers of various things from around Oregon.

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    just got another 2 bottles :)
    r6niqbgbw1ba.jpg

• Options
    I will take you up on dropping it off Saturday morning.

Added a couple bombers to the haul:

d0whnjc9w03m.jpg

• Options
    For anyone looking to pick up additional local brews, there is a wholefoods within walking distance of the convention center (2210 Westlake Ave, Seattle, WA 98121) that has a very nice selection including seasonal and limited releases.

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    oh5mbdigofo1.jpg

All bottles had a safe trip.

• Options
    So for drop off, anytime between 9 - 10 am Saturday morning is good. Otherwise I'll see you all tomorrow night!

• Options
    galaxychildgalaxychild Registered User new member
    Hey! Super late to the party (and new to PAX) but not to beer! Any room for me and my husband for this share? We didn't really prepare to bring any bottles for a trade but are willing to share the random things we happened to bring! We're from Vancouver, BC & brought Brassneck brewing Peach Changeling, Dageraad De Witte, Isastegi basque cider (really delicious btw).

• Options
    If I have a plus one with a 6 pack is that cool?

• Options
    Yes to all of those things.

• Options
    Holy fuck, that was incredible. We had over 25 people crammed into our tiny hotel room, and some truly incredible beers were shared. Thank you all so much for coming out, without you, tonight wouldn't have been nearly as awesome as it was. 5 hours of beer tasting, you guys are champs.

Post Pax beer exchange breakfast will be held at Lowell's in Pike Place, if anyone wants to eat away their hangover. Here's the menu: http://eatatlowells.com/breakfast/ We'll be there at about 9:30.

• Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Awesome time indeed so much good beer! Thanks for hosting all of us @f33rNapalm! Four Winds FTW!

• Options
    Thanks so much for putting this together! My morning gathering (which is why I left early) keeps me from having breakfast with you, but I had a good time and can't wait for next year!

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    Ah, hangovers. Most of my party is still asleep, so I'm not sure breakfast is happening now, at least for me. If anyone shows up expecting us to be there, sorry!

• Options
    Lots of great beer and people. Hope we do it again next year.

• Options
    Indeed! Thanks for hosting you guys. Was a great time! Beer society sounds like fun!

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Couldn't get it all to fit in one shot, but here's most of the damage.

And hotel WiFi won't upload the photo. :( Anyways, you guys crushed A LOT of beers on Saturday night. I tip my hat to all of your livers.

f33rNapalm on
  • Options
    DDay629DDay629 Registered User new member
    First chance to be back on the forum since I got home. Just want to say it was such a pleasure to meet/catch up with all of you and I can't wait till I have a chance to do it again. Also is there a final list of all the beers we tasted somewhere?

• Options
  • Options
    Hey, did you guys end up cracking open the Beard beer? Was it any good?

O1vSeKm.png