As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roll for initiative! Enc makes some D&D Illustrations?

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Got a bit more done, gonna leave it at this for now and look at it again tomorrow:

T6B9Ck6C

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Are you planning on putting other things on there? If not, the text could stand to be bigger overall.

Thats the hard part. Since the campaign is just starting I imagine we'll have some other things pop up as we move on. I'm torn between making the current stuff more legible and having room to expand for other stories.

I can always edit it later if I need more space. I'm gonna push up the font by 5 or 10 points this evening and try and add some more dungeons and important locations. Maybe add some woodworks for docks and such as well.

1e09KDTC

Increased the font size by 25%, added some details and tweaked some names.

First Arc Maps (mini'd for seeing them all):

WB5MT1s9

• ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    of those, i like the farmstead maps the best. this is largely because the patterning used feels less repetitive, & it deviates from the the grid more

that said, nice rivers yo

• YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Just saw this thread today.

Neat maps!

I always loved the detailed maps of Sword and Sorcery / Baldur's Gate etc, and yours definitively remind me of those :)

Thanks!

edited September 2015
    Some new maps:

q4XMsUEK
    jSlLVqdn
    yAw0aclg
    HniuODdT

And how that shrine looks in Roll20:

4hpN9REj

Enc on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    These are excellent! Would be really cool to play a campaign with nice maps like this. Have you considered trying a bit less black outline on the bushes and stuff? I feel like they could blend together nicely. Just an idea! Are you going to be selling these on roll20?

I'll play around with the stroke on my next maps and see if I can get that to work right (I agree with you on this, especially with the rocks).

I've thought about selling the Mullenstone maps all as one giant cheap pack at some point, but I don't know if I can actually sell these as a lot of the textures used for objects are just found items from google image search.

So with the above cookie-cutter maps set up for the next week or two, I'm going to start on a very ambitious project for the next two weeks: a 11 level/map dungeon with variable perspectives and pathing options that will incorporate Roll20's lighting system complete with a self-enclosed story, areas-built for encounters, and generally going to try and push my design to the limit of what I'm currently doing.

I have no idea how this will work, but I'm excited to give it a shot!

TE2IMYzr

Commission in progress for @Grunt's Ghosts 's 13th Age camapign, hope to finish it tonight and continue with the Spooky Tower.

edited September 2015
    @Grunt's Ghosts commission is complete!

jqnFIKmF

Gif of the process:
    ruV9ZZhp

And a quick encounter map for my players this week:
    VtWYeeaa

Enc on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    These maps are fantastic! My map making skill is pretty limited. Usually I try and find something close to what I have in mind and then slap some props on it and go with that. These are super well done. Keep up the good work!

BYcwJcka

Another "quick" map for last night's session and next week's session while I work on the big castle.

So I got the castle done! Not sure how best to show off the 8 floors, so here's a gif:

nWE2XSJc

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Sweet jesus. Do you have plans for all of those rooms or is it a play by ear sort of thing?

I have a script and a rough set of encounters for most of the rooms. For the rest it will be simply a matter of adding various traps and treasures and going with the improv of my party. This old watchtower is going to be the next 2-3 playsessions I'd guess by our flow.

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    How large do you generally print these? By the way, again, I have to stress that this is professional level shit and I would be stoked to play any board game with maps like these.

Edit: nvm, just read the first post again and this is all online, so. The compliment stands, though.

acadia on
    edited October 2015
    The originals are at about 4800 x 4200 pixels at 600dpi, so they can be printed pretty big if someone wanted to! I'm working on making a free resource for the full size ones if people want to use them for their own games on my wordpress site. I should have that up and running in the next few days.

Enc on
    edited October 2015
    So that site is up now:
    https://falleron.wordpress.com/

There are about 96 encounter maps available. I lost about 20 or so from my old computer, hopefully I can recover them.

Enc on
    Had some insomnia this morning, threw together a quick warmup map before diving back into The Road Virus's request:

beach-map.jpg?w=911&h=1538

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    I want to explore that cave...

edited October 2015
    Ok so this will be a HUGE image upload, but I want folks to be able to see the Old Watchtower in detail. If you are in my game looking at this thread do not open the spoilers below because this is your next three weeks of gameplay.

After uploading all my maps and looking at the 100 or so I did over time I wanted to go back and take a second pass at the Old Watchtower using the various tricks I had long since forgotten or neglected over time. I also wanted to follow up with @F87 's suggestion to lay off the stroke and try to find a way to get these layers to merge more seamlessly. I tried to take a very focused look at light and shadow in most of the map, and tried to be very deliberate with each room. A lot of the rooms are still empty! Those will get filled with movable roll20 assets like furniture and barrels and such.

This is approximately my 100th map. I'd guess I've spent at least 500-700 hours working on encounter maps over the last year and half. I've come pretty far from the first ones, but I really have a lot of things I still want to get better at. For the next 100 I want to start working on making my own furniture assets, new foliage brushes, and keep improving my library of textures. I also want to keep improving my wall layers to become more immersive and show more details. Eventually I also want to start working with lighting effects like transparent layers for mist to overlay above my players in game. I'll probably make a full list of my goals in an upcoming post so I have ideas of where to go from here.

More discussion in the spoiler, again if you are one of my players looking in here dont read this.
    So this Old Watchtower will start with my players being sent to run a message to the handful of guards posted here by the local lord, only to find them all long-dead and risen as zombies. As the players kill them, the lord and his soldiers arrive for an inspection only to see the party killing their men inside. The players will be forced to close the gate as the soldiers form up outside.

Now they are trapped and will have to find out what happened to turn the original guards into zombies. This will involve first going down deeper into the castle to find keystones to the magic circle warding the upper floors. Once they have done so they can confront the necromancer inside who will summon a dragon for a final battle at the top of the tower which will involve running around the top to try and hit the dragon/avoid dragonfire.

The glade will have a side encounter with three rock golems: Pebble, Boulder, and Rockalanche. Rockalanch will be "massive" in size and the battle will be akin to Shadow of the Colossus as the layers can climb up on him as he stomps around the glade, or attack his arms, legs, and head.

The docks and island cave will have some local Fisherfolk (lizardmen led by Crocardo, a dashing romantic alligator man the party has encountered in the past). I have a fishing minigame set up to go along with this.

Eventually the party will have to decide if they want to sneak out the back entrance using a key they get off the necromancer, try and negotiate with the local lord, or work with the lizard folk to get ferried across the river.

TxbP55tM
    bCQpGtvv
    lRPt5aeJ
    HXUnwuLC
    Zcm5E3VN
    57ilXUaC
    stvZati7
    Pnjm3hq3

Known issues:
    -Lighting agreement issues. The foliage shadows and window lighting does not match the global lighting of the walls and stone. I didn't notice this until I had about 40 layers going and going back to make them agree, many of which were rasterized and merged. For my next map set I will make setting global lighting a planning layer item to make sure all of the lights agree.
    -Wall layers of the tower have a stroke. This is one of those issues where removing the stroke on the exterior caused problems on the interior. With the lighting effects getting that fixed wasn't clear as making a new layer wouldn't match the light.*
    -Doorways. I go back and forth between having doorways be walls with doors placed on them, or leaving them blank and putting doorway assets in within roll20. This is going to be something I need to standardize soon.
    -Secret Tunnel Lighting - The secret tunnel on the Basement2 level leading out to the bottom left rockface is a bit too bright for my tastes. It probably should be a shade or three darker to reflect being a deep, dank cave.

*After talking with my wife I think I could have fixed this with clone stamp. Next time I'll try this.

Enc on
    I went through my list of things I didn't do right on the watchtower and tried them out on a remake of the inn map. I also tried to make my own furniture.

AD9a5kT4

ihrb8rC7

Request in progress for @TheRoadVirus . On about hour 8 or so now. I'd say i'm about halfway through.

Looks great so far! Thanks again :)

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I think I know that map. That's Axis in the center, yes?

edited October 2015
    I think I know that map. That's Axis in the center, yes?

It is!
    Or...well...was
    Some stuff happened.

Erin The Red on
    edited October 2015
    FQRojxA7

Final product for @TheRoadVirus ! I'm really liking the painted look, I may remake my Falleron world in this style.

Started with this:

zKbC_KKl398mM_g5sgmQDcFtDIgTtL3BjSkYdKd9Kfw?size=1280x960&size_mode=2

Enc on
    Awesome! This thing came out great. Thanks @Enc !

I've been working on expanding my world map for print. It's not quite there yet, but it's close:

sWQf3nbE

Ok, so I could use a second (third, fourth, etc) pair of eyes on this one. I think I am now at, or close to, printing. Before I go out for 12 copies of this to give my community for christmas gifts I'd love any and all critique you have on the map and any suggestions you may have.

I'm linking this one since it is the full size (8 mb) jpeg version: https://db.tt/WPPdKykR

Let me know if you see any issues. I've been scouring over this thing but I suspect im now going to miss things that will be obvious to others.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    How nitpicky do you want us to be?

I would offset Stone King in Hold of the Stone King because the top of the K lines up with the bottom of the F and to me makes it look like Hall or the Stone King

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Similarly to what Moon said, the top line of the T in "Sherv's Tomb" kind of blends with the top line, making it look a bit like "Sherv's Comb".

The stylized b in Hildebrant is right on the coastline, which makes it harder to read. Especially with a fairly standard-looking d just before it.

Is Bean Island called that just because it's shaped like a bean? :)

The body of water around Mt Nasa is fairly big. Should it have a name? Actually, the smallest water bodies with names are bays and gulfs, so maybe not.

There's a Shrine of the Allfather in the lower left, and a Temple of the Allfather in the upper right. Was that deliberate?

Taintsville is a bit jarring, especially in such a big font. Hopefully that's on purpose.

The small group of islands due north of the Meridian Isles, in between Adair and Winderwood? It seems like a prime location, like it should have a settlement or two, or some ruins, or at least a name.

There's an unnamed village in the Simi Jungle area (bottom of map).

I hope this is helpful. The map's looking really good.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks guys!

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Actually it's called Bean Island because everyone there looks like Rowan Atkinson

3basnids3lf9.jpg