As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

washing fine clothing

JasconiusJasconius sword criminalmad onlineRegistered User regular
I have recently come to the possession of a very fine mens garment... its like a fleece but it's not made out of fleece so I don't know what that's called, its mostly cotton

on the label it reads no machine washing of any kind, no drying of any kind, hand wash only and air dry flat

I've made a lifetime out of ignoring these labels, but this thing costs enough for me to actually care

what... do I even do. air dry flat? wouldn't it mildew? how long should I wash it, what kind of soap is safe? Or should I just dry clean it to avoid sadness

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Take a large basin and fill it with lukewarm water and some detergent (I usually use Tide Free or Woolite but you might find different recommendations based on the material).

Gently swish the item around for a minute or two.

Rinse all the soap out.

Gently squeeze out the extra water (don't wring it) then dry it using a drying rack like this.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    You can still probably use a washing machine but get a garment bag for protection and use whatever gentle cycle your washer has. This has always worked for me.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Dry flat is easy: just put it over the washing rack. Dont hang to dry as the weight from wet fabric will stretch it and ruin it forever.

If theres no stains and you havent been sweating profusely in them (ie: the smell of fear left from your last job interview gone awry) you should just air it out every now and again to keep it fresh.

Hand washing is easy enough as well, but quite intensive and leaves your clothing with a lot more water in it than machine washing normally does. I am certain there is a Wikihow out there with a step by step guide.

• Options
    Kilgore TroutKilgore Trout Registered User regular
    You didn't specify how you came into possession of the garment. If it's something like a family hand-me-down with emotional value, or something that cost a lot of money I would personally just pay to have it cleaned professionally. If it's just a really sweet thrift shop find, then I would follow the washing instructions above.

Maybe ask an elderly relative as well. You never know if there is a grandmother or someone from church who used to wash by hand and would be happy to give you pointers. Then you get a clean garment with the bonus of family bonding!

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind, some stuff you can't dry clean. Dry cleaning chemicals are more harsh than home detergent.

Dry cleaning is actually a lot like washing your clothes at home, but they use toxic chemicals instead of water. So if you have something very, very delicate, you probably don't want to send it for dry cleaning.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment