Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Talk About [Movies]; Say Interesting Things; Don't Be Jerks

194959698100

Posts

  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    I have at least liked most of what terry gilliam has done but he has a few real misses. One movie of his missed so bad was tideland. About 20 minutes into the film I was just hoping some sane adult would step in remove the little girl from the set and then let the rest of the cast get on with being horrible people.


    I don't think I've ever had so many moments of discomfort in a single film than in Tideland. I know there are 'worse' films out there but I avoid them; some of the things that happen in Tideland took me very badly by surprise and it almost feels damaging to have watched it.
    Dickens and Jeliza-Rose nearly making out was enough to make me go to shut it off but thankfully it stopped short

    It's frustrating though because there is some really good imagery in it, and the talking doll heads struck me as a neat device, but I can't bring myself to watch it again.

  • Slacker1913Slacker1913 Registered User regular
    Watching Tideland, all I could think was "Man, the Dude really took losing that rug hard."

    Eh, I'll get around to it.
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    edit- nevermind.

    Anyway, saw Mission Impossible this weekend. It was fun. Carry on.

    Bobble on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Watching Tideland, all I could think was "Man, the Dude really took losing that rug hard."

    it really tied the room together

    Panda4You
  • KadokenKadoken see what me tell you, seen Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I always felt that was a huge dick move to kill that guy.

    Fun fact: I watched Poseidon on DVD a week before I went on a cruise ship.

    Then, on the fourth day, while I was near the top of the ship the ship started to CAPSIZE. One of the rotors or something got fucked up.

    When it happened, rather than shitting my pants in drowney-terror, I just started laughing.

    It finally got fixed about two minutes later.

    It was a fun trip.

    Kadoken on
    I am going to shoot this mystery with my pistol of deduction -Sherlock Holmes (Scott Benson)
    Mine TTRPG blog http://darkheresychainsofmalice.blogspot.com/
    GethHarry DresdenRhalloTonnyBobbleAndy JoeRchanen
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Loved that list, but that clip from Poseidon is exactly why I will not watch fucking disaster movies.

    The very worst genre.

  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Loved that list, but that clip from Poseidon is exactly why I will not watch fucking disaster movies.

    The very worst genre.

    I caution you not to watch Jurassic World. There's a certain scene like that in it.

  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Loved that list, but that clip from Poseidon is exactly why I will not watch fucking disaster movies.

    The very worst genre.

    I caution you not to watch Jurassic World. There's a certain scene like that in it.

    I may watch it eventually but yes, the fact that it takes place in a full park unlike the first one made me disinclined to see it.

  • TexiKenTexiKen Steeeve Perry Steeeeeeve PerryRegistered User regular
    They're going to make a new Vin Diesel xXx movie.

    Of all the reboots, it makes the most no sense. Just shoot the Fasts and Furiouses back-to-back instead.

    HAB3pqF.png
    DiannaoChong
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So is Vin Diesel going to be in this one? Or Ice Cube? Or is it going to be both of them?

    xXx was the most generic Vin Diesel movie. I'm still waiting for that long in the making Osama Bin Diesel movie, see he was the actor Vin Diesel...

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Ask me about my scrotalist agenda Registered User regular
    They need to have Ice Cube and Vin Diesel do the Predator handshake.

  • TexiKenTexiKen Steeeve Perry Steeeeeeve PerryRegistered User regular
    xXx was fine, I saw it last year I think, but it's very, very part of the Limp Bizkit Jackass Tony Hawk Pro Skater era. Making basically Poochie Bond can work given the right time, but that's why xXx 2 didn't do so well, people were already over it, on top of trying to make Ice Cube an action star.

    In terms of new spins on Bond, Kingsman has that snapped up right now. What a 45 year old Diesel can bring to the table now, in his current mumblemouth mode, I don't know.

    HAB3pqF.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Not the usual faire for this thread, but I've just watched the first two of the 90's Gamera trilogy. Despite being a lifelong Godzilla fan, I'd never seen a Gamera movie until now. For those not in the know, Gamera is the Pepsi to Godzilla's Coke. All I knew is that the 60's and 70's Gamera movies were supposedly goofier than the campiest Godzilla film, but that the 90's movies were said to be far superior to anything the Godzilla series had put out.

    After finally seeing the first two movies, my opinion of Gamera has gone from "oh, I've heard of him" to "fuck yeah, Gamera!" I didn't think I'd be able to get into a movie series about a giant flying turtle, but between seeing him spike a pterodactyl into an oil refinery, come to a skidding landing and launching three fireballs at a monster before coming to a stop, and attempting to piledrive an enemy from orbit, I've really come to like this character. The fact that he can fly to wherever he's needed makes him feel like a big scaly superhero as compared to Godzilla's antihero/villain status.

    I notice a lot of subtle differences when watching these movies as compared to the Godzilla movies released in the same time period. For one, Japan's military can't just do whatever it pleases; they don't attack against a giant monster at first because there's no legal precedent for how they should act in this situation, and before launching their attack in the second movie they formally cite the Japanese Self Defense Force's legal right to use military action. Second, the action is far less stiff than in the 90's Godzilla movies and a bit more gory. Whereas Godzilla always seemed practically invulnerable facing even another monster, Gamera suffers quite a bit of damage during his battles with many oozing wounds. Third, the human characters seem more involved; both of the first two movies have sone monsters that are closer to human scale that also have weaknesses humans can exploit.

    There's also Gamera's insane origin story: whereas Godzilla is usually just an unusual/mutant dinosaur, Gamera is a bioweapon created by the lost civilization of Atlantis to save future generations after having doomed itself.

    In comparing these movies to Godzilla 2014, I really like that there isn't one main character. Like the Japanese Godzilla movies, most of the cast isn't carried over from one movie to the next, and even the returning characters have a minor part in the second movie. You don't have to worry about disliking the lead because the monster is the lead, wheras the human characters share the secondary role (with one character being part of the military, another being a scientist, and the last a civilian). There's also monster action throughout, with early action scenes being against immature creatures or swarms with the final battle being against the main threat.

    Unfortunately, as far as the human characters go, no one's super interesting. Though they get interesting action sequences with the smaller monsters, outside of these they don't have much to offer. These are Gamera's movies, and he's never off-screen for very long. I've heard the third movie is more interesting in terms of human characters, though.

    Hexmage-PA on
    Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
    DarkPrimusHybrid
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    The third movie is much more character driven, and provides a human element for Gamera's battles.

    As for the older Gamera movies, I tend to compare them to the Adam West Batman with the newer ones being like the Christian Bale one.

  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Having only seen the original Gamera, Gamera is fucking awesome. Godzilla is frankly just kind of boring, whereas Gamera is a giant space turtle with rockets who is friend to all children. Plus there was that one movie where Gamera rode a rainbow into the Marianas Trench in order to rescue a schoolbus full of kids from a giant squid monster.*

    *
    Or maybe I'm remembering the cover of my middle school Trapper Keeper.

    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • FantastikaFantastika Betting That The Levee Will HoldRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, the 90s Gamera movies are usually regarded as the some of the best of the Kaiju genre. The other late 90s/early 00s Godzilla movies are kind of like that too but not quite as good.

    I never really get too bent out of shape that human characters are uninteresting in Kaiju movies. It's been like that since the beginning of the genre and something like 90% of them are like that. Hell, the only human I've ever liked in these things was motherfuckin' Don Frye and his amazing mustache in Godzilla: Final Wars. That's the real reason there hasn't been any Japanese Godzilla movies since that one in my opinion. There's still trying to figure out how you follow Don Frye.

    Fantastika on
    NobodyLinespider5
  • TexiKenTexiKen Steeeve Perry Steeeeeeve PerryRegistered User regular
    The Other Woman. Politely request to watch something else. Like The Next Karate Kid.

    It's just one of those lazy movies for well-to-do New York and California housewives to have their girlfriend movie nights where they laugh at things because women are doing silly things in a group, like The First Wives Club or Sex & the City. Leslie Mann is quasi ditzy housewife in Connecticut to Jamie Lannister who is something something New York investor, where he's been cheating on her with Cameron Diaz, who is, in a shocking turn of events, not an editor at a magazine but actually a big time lawyer in the city. And then Danish Harry Connick Jr is cheating on her with Kate Upton, who loses to Brooklyn Decker in a battle of models-turned actresses. Oh, and Don Johnson is here too, along with Nicki Minaj trying to act (weirdly enough, this movie has an ending song over the credits with Iggy Azalea and I thought that was an #epicfail because they were something feuding).

    It's a wildly inconsistent movie in terms of tone. The revenge part of this movie doesn't really kick in until an hour into the film, instead trying to make the three become friends more through forcing Mann upon Diaz and Upton just being this eye candy ala Carl's Jr. At first it makes Mann basically the same character she was in This Is 40, then she's actually some kind of business genius and completely ignores an initial point about her wanting kids but putting them off because of what she assumed was her husband's busy schedule, Diaz never transitions well from workaholic to friend even though there's slapstick that's reminiscent of Charlie's Angels, and Upton really exists just to be the hot girl who no one can be mad at because she's so perky and hot.

    There would be a good story here for revenge if they went for a harder rating as opposed to girl power PG-13, but instead we're forced to deal with the usual revenge jokes; diarrhea jokes, hormones in health shakes, Nair in shampoo, capped off with an ultimate revenge that isn't really thought out other than they just need to have the final victory occur with super slapstick. It's kind of bad when a supposedly poignant scene about them all doing this together and holding hands on the beach at sunrise to an accompanying song about the sunrise because they're starting over.....doesn't actually show the sunrise, just the morning clouds and barely any orange in the sky. Hell, it's one of those wide far away shots that could have been three PA's sitting there when the sun rises if the schedules and weather weren't working, but they just didn't care.

    Really, just avoid it, what little humor there is will likely be reused in another movie.

    HAB3pqF.png
    Panda4YouBloods End
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    that sounds awful.

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    AstaerethSorceChiselphane
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    That's the real reason there hasn't been any Japanese Godzilla movies since that one in my opinion.

    There's actually a new Japanese Godzilla movie coming out next year.

    Written by the creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

    So I'm interested to see how that turns out

    Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
    joshgotroNobodyAndy Joe
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I always felt that was a huge dick move to kill that guy.

    Fun fact: I watched Poseidon on DVD a week before I went on a cruise ship.

    Then, on the fourth day, while I was near the top of the ship the ship started to CAPSIZE. One of the rotors or something got fucked up.

    When it happened, rather than shitting my pants in drowney-terror, I just started laughing.

    It finally got fixed about two minutes later.

    It was a fun trip.

    That last one is the worst though.

    Like, I never realised it till he mentions it but HOLY SHIT THAT IS INCREDIBLY FUCKED UP. WTF Lucas?

    Here's this guys whole family. His wife, his kids, even his just newborn newest child. So cute!
    Now, watch him die in agony!

    The Prequels man ... just, wtf?

    Regina FongMvrck
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It's not a hugely fucked-up death, but I always found Castel's death in The Bourne Identity (the guy who throws himself off the balcony) unintentionally funny. It always looked to me like that death was one step away from the guy stepping on a rake and falling off the balcony as a result.

    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    RhalloTonny
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I haven't seen Jurassic World but I'm guessing they don't keep a few dozen security personnel on standby with plentiful access to high caliber weaponry, because nobody ever asked "hey what if the dinos get loose again but this time while a bunch of people are here"

    override367 on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    that sounds awful.

    The Other Woman really isn't bad. It's kind of the PG13 companion film to The Sweetest Thing (which is great and you should watch it if you haven't already).

    If the idea of a girl power chick flick fills you with horror, it certainly won't change your mind, but it has some charisma and most of the jokes land. It's maybe a B-.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    Gnome-InterruptusBlackDragon480gjaustin
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Jurassic World but I'm guessing they don't keep a few dozen security personnel on standby with plentiful access to high caliber weaponry, because nobody ever asked "hey what if the dinos get loose again but this time while a bunch of people are here"

    Nope.

    The did bring sticks, though.

    Electric sticks. They spared no expense.

  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    that sounds awful.

    The Other Woman really isn't bad. It's kind of the PG13 companion film to The Sweetest Thing (which is great and you should watch it if you haven't already).

    If the idea of a girl power chick flick fills you with horror, it certainly won't change your mind, but it has some charisma and most of the jokes land. It's maybe a B-.

    Yeah, I know some people don't like using this metric, but I think it can be a useful shorthand in a lot of situations. It's not a very good film, but it's a perfectly decent movie.

    A B- seems to be a reasonable grade for it, it's a light, comedic chick flick that I had no problem watching on my own after catching a funny bit while my wife was watching it. Although I will agree with Texiken that the final victory segment didn't need the level of slapstick that they threw in.

    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    ElJeffe
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I haven't seen Jurassic World but I'm guessing they don't keep a few dozen security personnel on standby with plentiful access to high caliber weaponry, because nobody ever asked "hey what if the dinos get loose again but this time while a bunch of people are here"

    Nope.

    The did bring sticks, though.

    Electric sticks. They spared no expense.

    That's not especially accurate or fair. Jurassic World has a number of problems, but this at least is specifically a plot point in the movie.
    They did have a few dozen security personnel, and they had access to high caliber weaponry, the problem was that the majority of the security team was sent out with only non-lethal equipment because they didn't want to kill their brand new investment.

    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    gjaustin
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    xXx was fine, I saw it last year I think, but it's very, very part of the Limp Bizkit Jackass Tony Hawk Pro Skater era. Making basically Poochie Bond can work given the right time, but that's why xXx 2 didn't do so well, people were already over it, on top of trying to make Ice Cube an action star.

    In terms of new spins on Bond, Kingsman has that snapped up right now. What a 45 year old Diesel can bring to the table now, in his current mumblemouth mode, I don't know.

    45 isn't 95, you know. He'd probably kick most everyone's ass on this board. Hell, I expect Arnold Schwarzenegger will still be imposing whenever they get around to making King Conan.

    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    that sounds awful.

    The Other Woman really isn't bad. It's kind of the PG13 companion film to The Sweetest Thing (which is great and you should watch it if you haven't already).

    If the idea of a girl power chick flick fills you with horror, it certainly won't change your mind, but it has some charisma and most of the jokes land. It's maybe a B-.

    Yeah, I know some people don't like using this metric, but I think it can be a useful shorthand in a lot of situations. It's not a very good film, but it's a perfectly decent movie.

    A B- seems to be a reasonable grade for it, it's a light, comedic chick flick that I had no problem watching on my own after catching a funny bit while my wife was watching it. Although I will agree with Texiken that the final victory segment didn't need the level of slapstick that they threw in.

    Honestly I have to disagree, for girl power chick flicks it ends up on the lower end of the scale, Everything is predictable but also executed poorly. The chemistry between the three also feels so forced you can see the moments where the actresses genuinely hated each other.

    I have REZ for the Dreamcast PAL for sale £35. Other Excellent retro games for sale PM for details
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Seeing the first three actually make Fury Road a tad confusing, since continuity isn't really a thing Fury Road is concerned with.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    xXx was fine, I saw it last year I think, but it's very, very part of the Limp Bizkit Jackass Tony Hawk Pro Skater era. Making basically Poochie Bond can work given the right time, but that's why xXx 2 didn't do so well, people were already over it, on top of trying to make Ice Cube an action star.

    In terms of new spins on Bond, Kingsman has that snapped up right now. What a 45 year old Diesel can bring to the table now, in his current mumblemouth mode, I don't know.

    It's very much a product of its time. Bond + X Games. I liked it, it has some sort of goofy charm that works for me, but I'm not sure a sequel will be that good. One thing I definitely think it did well was fleshing out the bad guys, and not just the big bad but the various henchmen too. Not that they became full characters, but they were fleshed out enough so that they all had some personality.

    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    KadokenGnome-Interruptus
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think Spy did a better Bond than Kingsman.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    ElJeffeGnome-Interruptus
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Only reason to make a new xXx movie now is to have a crossover with Fast and Furious where Vin Diesel can team up with himself.

    TexiKen
  • FantastikaFantastika Betting That The Levee Will HoldRegistered User regular
    Only reason to make a new xXx movie now is to have a crossover with Fast and Furious where Vin Diesel can team up with himself.

    As long as the rest of the gang is there and they all still make fun of Tyrese, I'll watch it.

    SorceJAEF
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I haven't seen Jurassic World but I'm guessing they don't keep a few dozen security personnel on standby with plentiful access to high caliber weaponry, because nobody ever asked "hey what if the dinos get loose again but this time while a bunch of people are here"

    Nope.

    The did bring sticks, though.

    Electric sticks. They spared no expense.

    That's not especially accurate or fair. Jurassic World has a number of problems, but this at least is specifically a plot point in the movie.
    They did have a few dozen security personnel, and they had access to high caliber weaponry, the problem was that the majority of the security team was sent out with only non-lethal equipment because they didn't want to kill their brand new investment.

    And the security guys had a moment to shine when they
    ended the Pterandon attack on the park (when they finally showed up) and saved hundredsof people. They mowed them down pretty quick apart from a few, like the one the Ingen guy shot from a helicopter
    So they weren't completely incompetent

  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I always felt that was a huge dick move to kill that guy.

    Fun fact: I watched Poseidon on DVD a week before I went on a cruise ship.

    Then, on the fourth day, while I was near the top of the ship the ship started to CAPSIZE. One of the rotors or something got fucked up.

    When it happened, rather than shitting my pants in drowney-terror, I just started laughing.

    It finally got fixed about two minutes later.

    It was a fun trip.

    that poseidon clip is why everyone who's ambulatory and capable needs to get to climb up first so they can assist in pulling up those who aren't capable

    the young dude could've ambled up there in the time it took to argue about it

    override367 on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's also where you say "Fuck you old man you've lived I haven't."

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    override367Kristmas Kthulhu
  • TexiKenTexiKen Steeeve Perry Steeeeeeve PerryRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've seen any Poseidon movie, but it's one of those things I know the story of because it's been parodied so much in other forms.

    When it comes to made for TV movies of the 70's I think I tapped out with Towering Inferno.

    HAB3pqF.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It's also where you say "Fuck you old man you've lived I haven't."

    "You cheated fate in Jaws, you can go last and take your chances with the improbable elevator spikes."

    PreacherBobble
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Also, my favorite part of that list was "elevator spikes!" And then the callback "Oh those ocean spikes".

    Bobble
  • KadokenKadoken see what me tell you, seen Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Elevators have spikey bits, don't they? That's how the best friend in Mission Impossible 1 Died.

    Kadoken on
    I am going to shoot this mystery with my pistol of deduction -Sherlock Holmes (Scott Benson)
    Mine TTRPG blog http://darkheresychainsofmalice.blogspot.com/
    Harry Dresden
  • TexiKenTexiKen Steeeve Perry Steeeeeeve PerryRegistered User regular
    EMILIO!!!!!

    HAB3pqF.png
    DoodmannshrykeHarry DresdenSorceA Dabble Of Thelonius
This discussion has been closed.