As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Ante

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Ante

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I love that they could have had Gabe just pull the knife out of nowhere but instead decided to make it its own joke.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I knew this joke seemed familiar :+1:
    215546869_oiifJ-1050x10000.jpg

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I'm amused that Gabe is cosplaying Raphael for no apparent reason other than Raphael is great.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    I'm amused that Gabe is cosplaying Raphael for no apparent reason other than Raphael is great.
    Just this week I learned that people actually know what color each Ninja Turtle's headband is (and not even in this thread). I was only peripherally aware they were differently colored.

• Options
    Praxus1874Praxus1874 West Valley City, UTRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Assuran wrote: »
    Just this week I learned that people actually know what color each Ninja Turtle's headband is (and not even in this thread). I was only peripherally aware they were differently colored.

You've taken your first step into a larger world.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I cannot imagine living in a world where I don't know the colours of the turtle's headbands.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Tycho has a weird way of moving the left analog stick...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    Initially, they were all red- well, they were all grey at the very beginning. It was only when the cartoon showed up that they were assigned different different colors so as to be more easily differentiated by the intended demographic.

Personally, I like the unified color scheme better.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I cannot imagine living in a world where I don't know the colours of the turtle's headbands.

I know what weapons they use. That was always how I identified them. I am a person who has nearly zero memory for color(and colour). I can see them just fine, but unless a point is made of it, by something like a person saying "that blue car", I'm very unlikely to remember what color anything is. This includes the color of walls in my house(that I have lived in over a decade).

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

I know what weapons they use. That was always how I identified them. I am a person who has nearly zero memory for color(and colour). I can see them just fine, but unless a point is made of it, by something like a person saying "that blue car", I'm very unlikely to remember what color anything is. This includes the color of walls in my house(that I have lived in over a decade).

I believe in the original comic book they were all shown having identical masks.

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    I think I remembered the Turtle's colors more from the Konami Arcade game. Their entire selection screen highlight was their color, their health bar was their color, the joystick and buttons for that turtle were their color. It was all very specific.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie, just reminded myself of the lyrics to Turtle Power, and found I remember more than I thought. So, that's what happened to all the space I had allocated for things like maths and science.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    To me those weapons are irrevocably linked to their respective color.

Even after the dumb decision in the version of the cartoon I watched back in the 90s to give Mike a grappling hook rather than nunchucks in 90% of the fights

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, just reminded myself of the lyrics to Turtle Power, and found I remember more than I thought. So, that's what happened to all the space I had allocated for things like maths and science.
    It'll save your life someday.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    It'll save your life someday.

Such as if, for instance, I need to remember which one's the leader of the group transformed from the norm by the nuclear goop.

It's Raphael.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    I think the second thing I like most about this strip (we all know what the first is) is how big Tycho's eyes are in the first panel. It's like he's really getting into that tutorial.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I'm colorblind and can't even distinguish between Donatello's purple and Leonardo's blue and I still know what color they are.

• Options
    SReganSRegan Mr Registered User new member
    I'm reminded of the Monkey Dust episode where an ad firm helps a government agency break bad statistics with the analogy "A knife murderer stabs you 100 times a minute. Then he slows down. Is that a bad thing?"

I feel like Gabe's pupils should be a different shade in the last panel - on first glance I thought his eyes were supposed to have rolled up into their skull before realising they were the same colour as the headband.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    SRegan wrote: »
    I'm reminded of the Monkey Dust episode where an ad firm helps a government agency break bad statistics with the analogy "A knife murderer stabs you 100 times a minute. Then he slows down. Is that a bad thing?"

Am I already dead?
    How many times have I already been stabbed?
    Is there any hope of recovery?
    Is he slowing down each stab, or just extending the interval between stabs?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Am I a dracula?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    Sure, you want SOME good stuff up front, to catch people's interest, but if you frontload all the best stuff, don't expect much of a life expectancy.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    in the original Eastman and Laird TMNT comics, all the turtles had the same color headband. you had to tell them apart by their weapons.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562