As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - Campfire Stories #3

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2015 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - Campfire Stories #3

Campfire Stories #3

Campfire Stories #3

http://campcomic.com/comic/239

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Andrew6Andrew6 VermontRegistered User new member
    That's cute.

maxinformant.gif
  • Options
    KentigurnKentigurn Registered User regular
    Yeah...if you could stop hitting me in the feels that'd be great...

• Options
    Suburban_ArcanaSuburban_Arcana Registered User regular
    This was an amazing story!

• Options
    GinormousGinormous Registered User regular
    In no way do I mean to disparage the moral and the meaning of the story. This was very important for these two, and everybody needs people they can be open with.

I am only critiquing how the story was told. I think this story could have been told better, as it feels very abrupt. The other two stories feel very fleshed out with plenty of detail and narrative to make you interested. This feels like there's a hanging "and..." lingering there, waiting to finish the story or provide more to the story.

Maybe the author could have talked about that conversation. What was it like? Did you both know before either of you said anything? In typical media, there are few to no well told coming out stories. Here was a chance for the author to get that across.

Brian started with "we were both introverts," and glossed over one moment that overcame the fears of introverts (actually talking about themselves) and the fear of many gay individuals (coming out to someone). Obviously you did not let the other counselors know, so you were trusting this one person. As a fellow introvert, that trust (for any personal thing) is a HUGE step. Unless I'm missing the point of the story, it was that Brian found somebody to come out to, talk about it with and Brian needed them. However, the biggest points of the story were stated in about two sentences.

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Thank you Katie and Adam!

This is my story and it was my actual experience. Yeah, sorry, I'm not a writer (in fact, the first thing I told them before writing it was that and sorry if it sucked) and was trying to keep it as brief as possible to keep it under the word limit for submissions.

Yeah, I was just trying to setup that we kept everything to ourselves while also giving some insight to what drew us together. She absolutely loved fantasy and could talk to me for hours on end about one series's dragons. I have a pretty dark sense of humor and she was the only one who got it.

As far as coming out, we lived in a very conservative area and it was something we had to keep secret from everyone. I went to a religious school, one that still bans the evil gays, and while she went to a public school her parents would not have been supportive. So we covered for each other for a long time when we could.

It just sort of happened one night. It was the most freeing moment of at least my life. There were probably tells for me, because I was relentlessly bullied for everything from my looks to voice to not being into sports and called gay constantly. For her, I'm not sure, she just seemed like any girl to me, but I have a tendency to be oblivious. She was and is stronger than me and if I hadn't met her, I probably wouldn't be here today.

Thanks again! Maybe I can steal an image from this to make an avatar!

briguy on
  • Options
    DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Well, that was a nice story! It's nice, from time to time, to see genuine acts of kindness and generosity coming from children (which, by the way, I think are mostly spawns of the demons hell bent on making other people's life miserable).

There, I said it.

Nevertheless, nice story!

• Options
    KarmaKattKarmaKatt Registered User new member
    Love this <3

• Options
    SynDuoSynDuo John A. Galvan Somewhere over a rainbowRegistered User regular
    This was totally sweet. :)

• Options
    KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular
    Ginormous wrote: »
    In no way do I mean to disparage the moral and the meaning of the story. This was very important for these two, and everybody needs people they can be open with.

I am only critiquing how the story was told. I think this story could have been told better, as it feels very abrupt.

Just wanted to pop in real quick and say I loved Brian's story, and while it was shorter than the previous two, that's how he wanted to tell it, and it worked for me. We sent out the call for campfire stories to everyone, not just writers, and I think the differences in how people share their memories is important to having these be interesting.

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Now that's a campfire story. I could use more of these, frankly.

• Options
    motorfireboxmotorfirebox Registered User regular
    That ended up being even sweeter than I expected.

• Options
    MustacheHamMustacheHam Registered User regular
    @Motorfirebox
    Agreed :)

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    <3<3<3

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    AraragiKyonAraragiKyon Registered User regular
    Wow so lucky that both were gay. Otherwise, it would have been quite heartbreaking for the one who wasn't.

• Options
    HegemonHegemon Registered User new member
    Is there a reason the comments were locked as soon as this comic came out? It's a shame, everything up till now has been absolutely stellar.

• Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    And then Jason Voorhees same out of the water and killed them both. The end. (I kid, I kid)

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    Hegemon wrote: »
    Is there a reason the comments were locked as soon as this comic came out?

They were? How did everyone else comment?

• Options
    AdamRW wrote: »
    Hegemon wrote: »
    Is there a reason the comments were locked as soon as this comic came out?

They were? How did everyone else comment?

I think all of the PA forums were down for a while.

• Options
    AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Oh, okay. I must have missed when that was going on.

@Hegemon, there's the reason the comments may have seemed locked.

AdamRW on
  • Options
    DublinDublin Registered User regular
    So, it seems I am the only one who comments directly on the webcomic page...

• Options
    Christian LeBlancChristian LeBlanc Registered User regular
    I loved this. And that last drawing just says so much, and complements the wonderful story very well.

• Options
    Mr Fish 86Mr Fish 86 Registered User regular
    @Dublin

Nope, I also only comment on the webcomic page. It's way more convenient for me to do so. It just sucks that I can't quote people unless I go to the penny arcade forums.

• Options
    I use the main site when I'm on my computer but use the forums when I'm on my phone which is a lot. Getting on my PC was how I realized the forums were down though because I went to respond to a private message and none of the forums were up.

• Options
    VichusSmithVichusSmith Registered User new member
    That was awesome.

• Options
    TigrerojoTigrerojo Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    "The truth was we'd sneak off to the dock and just talk. We were both gay." dammit, that's gotta be the shortest-lived ship of my life T.T

Tigrerojo on
  • Options
    kottadragonkottadragon Registered User new member
    @TIGREROJO i know right

• Options
    Laika ClementineLaika Clementine Registered User regular
    Nice. I can relate as people assume me and my best guy friend I've known for almost twelve are dating and it frustrates. Girls and boys can be platonic life partners dammit!

Yeah, I'm still good friends with a lot of people from my camp I go to. Half of my FB contacts are made up of people from this one camp I attend annually and I look through my list and think "who's this person? Oh yeah....."

• Options
    Xero42Xero42 Registered User new member
    glad to see camp was good for some people me i have actually repressed most of it (and not for the reason most roman Catholics repress youth events thankfully)