As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Treachery of Rome (signups open!)

precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Critical Failures
The Treachery of Rome

Rome has been for centuries a superpower to be reckoned with and demands the respect of the world. The northern boarders of the Roman Empire, sits Gaul, a barbarian nation intent on destroying all things Roman. Brennus, a fierce warrior intent on destroying the Roman Republic, has sent his spies long ago to infiltrate and corrupt the government, hoping to achieve political control over the senate and bringing the empire crashing down. Sitting across the Mediterranean Sea, sits Carthage, the long hated rival of the Roman Empire. Hannibal Barca, a military leader and genius, keen to the Gauls plans of taking over Rome, has trained and sent one single spy to infiltrate Rome to rid of the Gauls and to be claimed Emperor Augustus as his own. Those spies along with normal Senate members have risen to power and now decide the facete of Rome. The Roman senate members must rid of the traitors before the fall of Rome, the only problem is…..who is traitor and who is a loyal member of the Republic.

posterart_man_800x600.jpg

===============================================

Rules:

This game will be played differently then the others who are currently running (Pokemon, Mafia). This will be Role-Playing to an extent, so if your hate Role-playing, then this may not be for you. The game has three teams: Gaul, Rome and Carthage. Carthage only consists of one man, but with great power. Gaul will consist of a group of men, vying for Rome. Senate will consist of everyone. Both Gaul and Carthage will look identical to the rest of the Roman Senate. Every day, the Senate will make a vote on who execute as a “traitor to the Republic of Rome”. Along with the Senate’s vote, every night the Gaul’s will murder a Roman Senate member. Every other day, the Senate will make a vote on who to grant the title of “Emperor Augustus”. Emperor Augustus rules Rome for his term of office (technically two days), with the title comes great power and responsibility.

-All votes must be in before 10pm EST, this goes for all Senate members as well as Gaul and Carthage.

-An inactive players will be dealt with swiftly, if the role is a special one, a hidden pm will be sent to one of the normal senate members to have them adjust accordingly

-When an Emperor is voted into office, this happens *BEFORE* any executions, murders etc. happen, thus Emperor will be immune to said attack.

Voting will goes as follows, must be used with proper coloration:

I !vote _______ for execution.

This is the proper way to vote for someone to be executed. If you wish to retract your vote, this is the proper way:

I !retract my vote for ________ .

This is the proper way to vote for someone to be the Emperor Augustus:

I !vote for _______ for Emperor!

===============================================

Roles:

As Emperor Augustus, they are deemed the following powers:

-Ability to veto the Roman Senate vote, in which case, the next person with the highest votes is branded “traitor” and executed.
-Emperor has the power every other day (if he chooses to use it), to brand any Senate member a “traitor to the Republic of Rome” and may execute them
-Emperor is immune to all attack for his term of office
-As reigning Emperor, He looses all power of his previous roles, such as seering ability (Egypt and Carthage), unable to cast a vote to kill (Roman or Gaul), unable to assassinate anyone (Carthage)

Roman Senate:

-Has the ability to become Emperor
-Casts Senate vote every day, to execute traitors

GOAL: To eliminate Carthage and Gaul Spies

Egyptian Templar of Osiris:

-Every night, able to pray to Osiris, in hopes to have vision of any Senate member, to find out their true intentions

GOAL: Helps Senate to victory

Gaul Empire Spies:

-Every night, allowed to kill one Senate Member

GOAL: To eliminate both Rome Senate and the Carthage Spy

Carthage Empire Spy:

-Has the ability through the power of the gods, to see vision every other day, to find out their true intentions
-Every other day is allowed to assassinate one of the Senate members

GOAL: Goal of the Carthage spy is to become new Emperor and to have all of Gaul eliminated. Both objectives must be completed to win the game.

==============================================

FAQ:

(stole'd from Shinto, thanks shinto)

1. All the roles were chosen randomly.
2. The Emperor is the only one able to veto.
3. When a Gaul or Cathage spy dies, their true identity will be known. Special character (such as the seer) will give out a hint at their death.
4. No screencaps allowed.
5. The special characters will be notified in PM.
6. The highest vote count for a Senator will be given the title of Emperor Augustus, his reign will last every other day, then a new Emperor may be voted in.
8. Once a Senate member has been voted on by the Senate to be executed, the Emperor may allow to execution to take place or they may show leniency and veto the vote. The next highest senate vote received will then be executed. They will have until 10:10 EST to post whether or not they wish to veto and post will post their decision.
9. The Gaul or Carthage spies will not be allowed to change their vote after 10:00 EST.
10. For the purposes of the game, players will not be allowed to make anonymous e-mail addresses in order to contact other players in the game without revealing their identity.
11. Must Role-play your character, to an extent.

==============================================

Gents who are in the game:

ThrawnDS
WHY
Cyberjackal
Urbman

precisionk on

• ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Since we're encouraged to roleplay, I thought I'd make my own description.

Valcun Caeorus. "The Emperor is a pirate, an affront to everything we Patricians have struggled so valiantly for. -Valcun Caeorus" A long standing Republican, Valcun often speaks fondly of the days when the Senate alone ruled the people. How could one man possibly rule such a vast and diverse realm, know the intricacies of each region he'd argue. Foolishness, balderdash. His entire life has been spent enriching the glory of the Rome and until his death, Caeorus porclaims to continue his occupation as an exalted senator even under the shadow of Caeser.

Despite his heavy consumption of boar and alcohol, Valcun has a rather gaunt appearance, especially in the face. Many attribute his physique to sickness or a curse from the gods, but clearly he is far from a healthy, robust figure. Being nearly fourty, ashen grey has permeated his hair which he wears shortly cut. His dry voice can be heard calling for war against the enemies of Rome within the Senate chamber, which happens often.

Valkun on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    color me interested.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ThrawnDS wrote:
    Since we're encouraged to roleplay, I thought I'd make my own description.

Valcun Caeorus. "The Emperor is a pirate, an affront to everything we Patricians have struggled so valiantly for. -Valcun Caeorus" A long standing Republican, Valcun often speaks fondly of the days when the Senate alone ruled the people. How could one man possibly rule such a vast and diverse realm, know the intricacies of each region he'd argue. Foolishness, balderdash. His entire life has been spent enriching the glory of the Rome and until his death, Caeorus porclaims to continue his occupation as an exalted senator even under the shadow of Caeser.

Despite his heavy consumption of boar and alcohol, Valcun has a rather gaunt appearance, especially in the face. Many attribute his physique to sickness or a curse from the gods, but clearly he is far from a healthy, robust figure. Being nearly fourty, ashen grey has permeated his hair which he wears shortly cut. His dry voice can be heard calling for war against the enemies of Rome within the Senate chamber, which happens often.

That looks quite good. Definately going to be needing more people, if the game is going to continue forth.

precisionk on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Considering the mafia game collapsed and I still want to try this, I would be interested in getting in on this.

CyberJackal on
  • urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Im down, My roleplay charatcer will come later.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2006
    urbman wrote:
    Im down, My roleplay character will come later.

Lucius Victorius Metellus. "The Senate is the Head of Rome, with The Emperor it's Heart, and I am it's SWORD! -Lucius Victorius Metellus" The Son of one of Romes greatest generals and Nephew to one of its greatest Strategist. Born and raised to be a great soldier, he quickly rose through the ranks. He soon came into the nickname of the Light harvester, because of the way he would cut through enemy lines and it was said his gaze would steal the light of battle from his enemies' hearts. After the Death of his uncle, he was asked to take his seat in the Senate.

A strong and sturdy young man barely half why through his life, with long brown hair and dark piercing eyes. Many a Senator and other powerful Dignitaries has ask him to wed his daughter, with each request he has replied "Only a woman who can take my heart can have it." He looks unlike most Roman citizens, he carries many scars openly and trophies of those he met in battle and Respectfully defeated. One Scare on his right arm was from his "Greatest Opponent". Who savagely wounded him after he witnessed the death of his leader at Lucius's hand.

In his short time of being in the Senate He has asked for the strengthening of the Legions and borders and to take the Barbarian and Carthage threats seriously. He stands equally behind the Senate and Emperor.
    Being a soldier he does what is expected of him and follows his orders. In the many battles in his life he has grown found of his men, most of who are average citizens, who he constantly fights for in the senate.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well, I figure we write our characters AFTER we get our role.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited October 2006
    I was just following ThrawnDS's lead.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Not necessarily, these are our public personas. For example, if I had been selected as a Gaul spy:

"Fools, the entire lot of them, following after that brute, lapping at his words like hungry dogs! Every one of them corrupted by the desire to become the next Caeser as the Empire suffers for all their ambition. Together with your help, we will forge a new Republic from the ashes of this fetid swamp." -Valcun Caeorus to Kaeorik the Warlord.

It would be all too obvious if the description was written for the role and the ensuing metagaming that would result.

Valkun on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You are welcome to write your character history before or after, it may help til after, then you can possibly add subtle hints about what you are in your character. I am hoping we can get 15-20 people. Roster has been updated.

precisionk on
    edited November 2006
    just bumping this up to the top. Do you have an idea of what kind of icons you plan on using for this?

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I am tentatively in. Decadent Philosopher-type. Anaximus Anderus. Backstory would come after role assignment.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Minor SecondMinor Second Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I am interested, count me in as the Sivdro Bisskeus the senator who has only shown his support for the emperor on taxing laws and other forms of government profiteering. As one the oldest members in the senate Siv has almost gone almost completely bald with his remaining hair a grimy white and his figure is akin to the diseased with countless deep wrinkles, pocks and marks suggesting an earlier life of much hardship. His figure is tall yet very skinny and his voice though rarely heard in the halls of the senate is low, macabre and unshaking in its tone.

Minor Second on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sign me up, if you please.

Greeper on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A chance to enforce the Pax Romana by executing Gaulish dogs? Then please accept my candidacy for the Senate!

Wildcat on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, since this has already been revived by Greeper...

!sign up? :P

Hylianbunny on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    two years!

INeedNoSalt on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My god! What a mistake.

Greeper on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    !sign up Gaius Ignatius
    gettin' on on dis

edit: oh...wait.

damn it! someone start this up again

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gaius Patronus II, son of Gaius Patronus, who died at 35 years from over-consumption of wine and imported sausage (rumors persist that more than one kind of sausage was involved). Gaius II is well on his way to beating his father's record, as he is only 22 years of age and is already as fat as his late father. Gaius II can barely walk and is constantly attended by three young slaves, of varying genders based on his latest mood. He favors peaceful trade with the "would-be allies" of Rome, as he feels they have much to offer in the ways of delicacies and art.

When not attending the senate, eating, or whoring, Gaius II spends time in private painting. His art is terrible, but that doesn't stop him from forcing his household and "friends" to attend impromptu art exhibits.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
This discussion has been closed.