As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Talk About [Movies]; Say Interesting Things; Don't Be Jerks

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Elevators have spikey bits, don't they? That's how the best friend in Mission Impossible 1 Died.

I mean, ideally they don't, but broken cables/struts and supports can easily turn the elevator shaft into a death pit. Especially given how the boat has rolled.

When I was working for Regal in NYC, Poseidon was one of the big movies that we played. I was ushing during a matinee - this was the earliest showing and the only screen running at the time - when the fire alarm started going off. My co-workers and I noticed that no one had left the screening, so I went to check it out.

They were all sitting in the theater - the screen had turned off and the lights had come up when the fire alarm initiated - and they looked so confused.

"What's going on?" someone asked.

"The fire alarm is going off. Please exit the theater in an orderly fashion."

No one moved.

"Yeah, but the movie was almost over."

I started for a few seconds. "Right, but the fire alarm is going off, so we need to get out of the building for the time being until we know what triggered it."

Same guy. "This is bullshit! THIS IS BULLSHIT! God, I can't believe it!"

Everyone filed out, got movie passes, and came back in for the last three minutes of the movie when we were given the all clear.

It was even more frustrating because in the film, no one was in danger anymore. They'd all gotten off the boat.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Just picked up a copy of Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's the Director's Cut, and I know that means it's got like five extra, extended scenes it doesn't even need, but it should be interesting to see how it holds up.

I still love how the king could assemble heroes to defeat a monster-based conspiracy, but that it didn't mean he could quell the discontentment of his people that fueled the rise of the conspirators in the first place.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Just picked up a copy of Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's the Director's Cut, and I know that means it's got like five extra, extended scenes it doesn't even need, but it should be interesting to see how it holds up.

I still love how the king could assemble heroes to defeat a monster-based conspiracy, but that it didn't mean he could quell the discontentment of his people that fueled the rise of the conspirators in the first place.

I thought that movie was an underrated gem

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    never ever ever heard of it, but the wikipedia summary reads interesting enough to check out.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Brotherhood of the Wolf was my first exposure to Monica Bellucci...

I regret nothing.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen any Poseidon movie, but it's one of those things I know the story of because it's been parodied so much in other forms.

When it comes to made for TV movies of the 70's I think I tapped out with Towering Inferno.

I've seen at least the last bit of two versions of Poseidon from about 70s-80s.

One where the final boss is the bottom of the hull, and one where that apparently wasn't exciting enough so the final boss was gun smuglers that had gotten out of the bottom/top first and already moved a pallets amount of gun crates up top.

Kinda made me decide to skip the latest version they made.

I mean, how do you top gun smuglers? Maybe make Poseidon yet another InGen test site?

E: Geth knows quality film making.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    never ever ever heard of it, but the wikipedia summary reads interesting enough to check out.

I'm surprised you haven't. It's really quite better than it has any right to be. I don't know what a universal appraisal would rank the movie overall, but it sits pretty well among the better kung fu adventure fantasy/period action flicks out there. That's about as close a vibe as I can attach to it.

• Options
    Now I'm remembering that Dreamcast Resident Evil knockoff game where you basically fought zombie experiments on a cargo ship. Or that Resident Evil game that did take place on a boat.

There's your damn zombies and Deep Blue Seas and your Poseidons mixed together, kill all interest in these genres at once. Please.

• Options

I'm surprised you haven't. It's really quite better than it has any right to be. I don't know what a universal appraisal would rank the movie overall, but it sits pretty well among the better kung fu adventure fantasy/period action flicks out there. That's about as close a vibe as I can attach to it.

I'm surprised too! I don't expect french in my kung fu and I really don't have a good grasp of european films outside of some German ones.

I guess I was just a Dien Bien Fool.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Didn't one of the Dino Crisis games take place on a boat?

Or am I confusing that with the Dino Crisis game that was fighting zombie dinosaurs on a spaceship?

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

Where did you get this? I LOVE that movie, with French language and English sub is the only way.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Didn't one of the Dino Crisis games take place on a boat?

Or am I confusing that with the Dino Crisis game that was fighting zombie dinosaurs on a spaceship?

Dino Crisis 3

Nanotech dinosaurs on a spaceship.

That game was... certainly a dataset burned onto a CD.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Where did you get this? I LOVE that movie, with French language and English sub is the only way.

It can be found. There's a place round I live called Half-Price books. Six goddamn dollars.

• Options

I'm surprised too! I don't expect french in my kung fu and I really don't have a good grasp of european films outside of some German ones.

I guess I was just a Dien Bien Fool.

Its basically if someone redid Jaws as an action period peace in 19th century France

• Options
    I usually don't do this and wait until a movie is finished but only 25 minutes in and Interstellar is driving me crazy.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    In other crazy driving news, the PS4 doesn't let you download movies you buy.

I only discovered this after buying.

This bugs me.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I usually don't do this and wait until a movie is finished but only 25 minutes in and Interstellar is driving me crazy.

I found it somewhat tedious myself

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Interstellar was a lot of fun to watch in the theater but I've had absolutely no desire to watch it since. The parts where they are exploring different planets are pretty interesting, and the robots are great, but ultimately it doesn't really bring anything new to the table except some amazing cinematography, and completely loses its marbles by the end.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feh8Eqh4nWU

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    netflix hasn't even heard of it.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Interstellar was a lot of fun to watch in the theater but I've had absolutely no desire to watch it since. The parts where they are exploring different planets are pretty interesting, and the robots are great, but ultimately it doesn't really bring anything new to the table except some amazing cinematography, and completely loses its marbles by the end.

Interstellar has the best personal motivation of any space movie I've seen, I think.
    The way Nolan uses the low stakes (will he get back to his daughter in time?) as a ticking clock for the high stakes (will they discover an inhabitable planet before they run out of resources?) is innovative, elegant, and admirable. He tried something along the same lines in Inception, but it doesn't quite succeed there. Here there was a really nice balance, and the terrible conflict between the weight of the human race and the importance of his children characterizes most of the film in a very interesting and compelling fashion.

In a way, I think Interstellar stands as an optimistic counterpoint to Spielberg's AI. Each uses its far-future setting to tell a parable about love. Where AI concludes that love is a cruel, selfish, destructive force, Interstellar views it as benevolent and creative, something that makes higher-order living (compassion, reason, drive) possible.

Honestly I think Interstellar is quite underrated, partly because sentiment is a hard sell, particularly in sci-fi. But it's a very thematically rich and rewarding movie, complex, memorable, and beautiful.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

Interstellar has the best personal motivation of any space movie I've seen, I think.
    The way Nolan uses the low stakes (will he get back to his daughter in time?) as a ticking clock for the high stakes (will they discover an inhabitable planet before they run out of resources?) is innovative, elegant, and admirable. He tried something along the same lines in Inception, but it doesn't quite succeed there. Here there was a really nice balance, and the terrible conflict between the weight of the human race and the importance of his children characterizes most of the film in a very interesting and compelling fashion.

In a way, I think Interstellar stands as an optimistic counterpoint to Spielberg's AI. Each uses its far-future setting to tell a parable about love. Where AI concludes that love is a cruel, selfish, destructive force, Interstellar views it as benevolent and creative, something that makes higher-order living (compassion, reason, drive) possible.

Honestly I think Interstellar is quite underrated, partly because sentiment is a hard sell, particularly in sci-fi. But it's a very thematically rich and rewarding movie, complex, memorable, and beautiful.

I think it's also one of the few films I've seen ... maybe ever that I would describe as an experience. Watching it in theatres is the sort of thing that makes you realize why we have theatres for movies. It just feels huge in the best way possible.

• Options
    It was about an hour too long

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    So I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes on a whim this evening, not really expecting much. I must've missed the critical reception around it because I didn't expect it to be that good, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well done it was. I'd say it's better than Rise by a fair margin, and a lot of that has to do with the setting. Without having to set up the ascension of apes as hyper-intelligent, it can launch right into their culture and put them in direct contrast with the humans.

Honestly, my favourite parts were any scenes between Caesar and other apes, but particularly Koba. The motion capture on display here was unreal, and it's a testament to Andy Serkis and the others that I bought into their struggle a hundred times over than I did that of the humans.

I think the only real problem per se is that the film does work along to a foregone conclusion. We know where humanity ultimately ends up, so you're kind of watching the film knowing it's all going to go to shit. But upon reflection, it does a considerable job instilling the events leading to that with plenty of tension and emotional heft.

Would recommend!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Interstellar did a lot of things very well, and was a delightfully visceral experience. A lot of the dialogue was clunky, though, to where it may as well have been a character turning to the camera and saying, "Now I will deliver a monologue about the emotion you humans call 'love'".

I want to watch it again, but I'll need to convince my wife, who has anxiety issues and a phobia of space, that it's a nice evening for serial panic attacks.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I kinda wish that Nolan went back and did a smaller, less tentpoley film again, something like Following. I didn't dislike Interstellar and definitely enjoyed a lot of the craft that went into it, but I found myself caring very little about anything going on in the film, and for me Nolan isn't particularly good at doing emotions directly.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Nolan 's best movies are Memento and Prestige. He should make more of those.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Agreed, although I'd find it difficult to generalise that into what exactly he should do more of. In the end, I could't really say that Nolan is best when he does X. Is it that he's best at creating drama where characters are their own worst enemies, which is definitely true of those two films? Then again, that's also true of Insomnia, and while that one isn't bad the original has so more conviction and integrity IMO.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    He is best when he makes movies I like.

• Options
    There is that, yes.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Insomnia.

It's one of the few films I've watched for the first time on a plane flight and actually really liked as opposed to just feeling trapped, which is ironic because the main thrust of the film is how trapped Pacino is by his past misdeed.

And I'm not alone! Apparently the director of the original really liked Nolan's version too.

• Options
    I'm sure I would've enjoyed the film more if I'd seen it before the original, but all the changes that were there made the film more conventional IMO, which made it feel like it was pandering to audiences. It's by no means an extreme example of this, but for me it shied away too much from what made the original effectively uncomfortable.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really liked Insomnia. Pacino keeps his shoutiness under control, Robin Williams is excellent and the whole thing looks great. It's an effective, interesting, beautifully acted movie.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Nolan's reason for making big budget movies is kind of hard to fault, he said something along the lines of, as long as people are willing to give me big budgets i'm gonna take that opportunity before it stops

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I would be interested to see him go make another smaller-scale film, but I absolutely love that he wrings so much out of those big budgets like nobody else. It gets used for effects necessary to the story, not just because we wanted to fill 5 minutes with some cool shit or whatever. He actually spends it on bringing some pretty high concepts to a mainstream audience, and people actually come out in droves to see it. I love that we've got someone able to do that.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Nolan's probably the best big-budget filmmaker we have, whereas we have plenty of great indie directors. I'm perfectly happy to have him at the top of the game for as long as he feels like staying there.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I still really like Inception.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I still really like I N C E P T I O N.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Insomnia.

It's one of the few films I've watched for the first time on a plane flight and actually really liked as opposed to just feeling trapped, which is ironic because the main thrust of the film is how trapped Pacino is by his past misdeed.

And I'm not alone! Apparently the director of the original really liked Nolan's version too.

I will always remember Insomnia because I saw it in the theater and for the most part the movie is fairly quiet, up until the climax when a shotgun is fired and I don't know if someone bumped a switch or what, but it god damn near deafened me in the theater.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    brotherhood of the wolf is an amazing movie

fucking burns me that there's no blu ray release of it in region 1 because the original DVD release looks really rough at times

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.