As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime Buttoneering!

• zannahzannah Registered User regular
    I'm sad that participation is down... I wonder if not as many attendees use the forums to learn about things like this? :(

Regardless, I'm bringing buttons this year! Haven't designed them yet, but am werking on a couple of ideas. Look forward to seeing all of you! <3

• contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    Got my buttons ready for order. I am doing two buttons this year 50 of each plus whatever left overs I can find.

Continuing with the theme of pretty much all my buttons(LucasArts adventure games from the 90s), I give you my entry for Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Nur-Ab-Sal-Good.png
    Nur-Ab-Sal-Evil.png

I may have to get more creative and come up with something new and original next time because I'm running out of games that I can remember playing and consider good enough for a button. Monkey Island 1 and 2 (original and Special Edition), Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and now Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    wife and I have our pins ordered (no bonus pin this year; finances and all that) but we kept with our Strong Munchkin themes. pictures later :)

• windfallwindfall Registered User regular
    zannah wrote: »
    I'm sad that participation is down... I wonder if not as many attendees use the forums to learn about things like this? :(

Regardless, I'm bringing buttons this year! Haven't designed them yet, but am werking on a couple of ideas. Look forward to seeing all of you! <3

That's probably the case. I just found out about this a few days ago.

• MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'll be using my Omega status to push the rest of my buttons out. Get one and you can say you shook hands with an omega!

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • ShivinShivin OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I wonder how many people will be like....OMG? What's that? Why's your badge different.

Shivin on
    r3a9obz7nxdg.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I HAVE NEW BUTTONS!!! but i can't share them yet. So I has a sad.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2015
    Shivin wrote: »
    I wonder how many people will be like....OMG? What's that? Why's your budge different.
    Generally only people who know you will pay any attention to what badge you have. At least that's what I've found.

zerzhul on
  • theoriginalztheoriginalz PhillyRegistered User regular
    contrefait wrote: »
    Got my buttons ready for order. I am doing two buttons this year 50 of each plus whatever left overs I can find.

Continuing with the theme of pretty much all my buttons(LucasArts adventure games from the 90s), I give you my entry for Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Nur-Ab-Sal-Good.png
    Nur-Ab-Sal-Evil.png

I may have to get more creative and come up with something new and original next time because I'm running out of games that I can remember playing and consider good enough for a button. Monkey Island 1 and 2 (original and Special Edition), Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and now Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

holy fuzz nuts! WANT!!!

Trade pins with me! Pinny LanyardjlB4Ded.png
  • ShivinShivin OregonRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Shivin wrote: »
    I wonder how many people will be like....OMG? What's that? Why's your budge different.
    Generally only people who know you will pay any attention to what badge you have. At least that's what I've found.

Yeah, I think you're right. I've several friends that are frequent PAX attendees and they didn't even know what the Omegathon was.

r3a9obz7nxdg.png
  • SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    Got mine. Trying to figure out how to insert a picture from my phone.

There. I think that did it.
    2ti1h26ymhdw.jpg

• JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    The new buttons have arrived!

EElXFu1.jpg

If you want to get new buttons, order quickly and verify production times! There are only 10 business days left until the Thursday before PAX Prime. I'll try to post a recap post of the meetups and button dropoffs for the PA collection this week.

If anyone needs a local address to ship to, I'll offer my services for that.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
  • Goblin ScrewdriverGoblin Screwdriver Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Like most others I'm sad to see such little participation this year. I ended up working on other art projects this summer so this year I'll just be re-purposing some old artwork for this years button rather than making something new. I'm a little disappointed since I had planned on doing something related to Destiny since it was my favorite thing to come out in the past year but . I'll post my design this evening after I place the order.

PAX Prime attendee since 2006

Pointless signature checklist [x]
  • Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    contrefait wrote: »
    If anyone needs a local address to ship to, I'll offer my services for that.
    I might take you up on that, the current idea I have that my fiance is drawing(I got ideas but no skills) is taking a little longer than expected.

May PAX be upon you.
    I'm going to bring some duplicate buttons I've ended with from past years. Might help fill some holes.

Game night button! If you want an event button to add to your collection, stop in at the Pre-PAX Game night at the Sheraton and grab one of these babies.
    00tj9fhvhwqk.jpg

• Goblin ScrewdriverGoblin Screwdriver Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Alright, here's my design for this year. Hopefully at least one person understands the reference.
    It's Metroid Prime
    gluox81njmqf.jpg

PAX Prime attendee since 2006

Pointless signature checklist [x]
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    mine and wifes pins for this year plus our 2012 and 2013 pins

Solelron on
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    Oh, you lovely, button-crazed people.
    I'm one of those who has become disillusioned with PAX and thought I was happy leaving everything behind, but the Buttoneers are so dear to my heart, I had to come here and see what y'all were up to and I find it hard not to do just one more year.
    Plus, it might be the last year I'm in Seattle for PAX, so why not say goodbye to some of you grizzled veterans.
    There are two people in particular I hope to see *cough*Button button*cough*BINKLY*cough* to finish some collections

But now I have to think of a design. Hmm.

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • VolkatVolkat SANVERS WARRIOR T-town, WARegistered User regular
    Buttons ordered! I opted to drop one of my designs for now to save a little money toward helping the wife (@VampireVolkova) to get her button. She drew her pic and had me digitally touch it up for her, so hers is the third one pictured. I really like it! Still gonna have last year's button with me, too, for those who missed it.

s6dkji4a2exn.png

SOON.
    Whoa.

Offer still stands as local shipping address for buttons at PAX. PM me if you want to do so and we can arrange the details.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
  • strttrknstrttrkn Registered User regular
    Here's mine! Been meaning to do this for years & I pick the year I'm the busiest (bought a house, got married, moved all in 2 months starting in June). I'm so happy I finally got to it! :)

atjaq8wk8sru.jpg

"So, she's added cussing and hurling about of things to her repertoire. She really is a prodigy."05UDUCa.png
    edited August 2015
    Hey Everyone! If you haven't ordered your buttons yet, it is probably too late to order and have them arrive on time. Here is an update on all of the info for this year

----
    Buttoneering Board for PA!
    The tradition continues! We'll be presenting the pinboard to Gabe and Jerry at the signing in the Autograph area on Monday @ 12:30pm. There are two ways to get your button(s) in for the board. Stop by the BYOC entry table and drop a button off in the drop off bin or come to a Buttoneering meetup and drop one off with me.

Buttoneering Radar
    We'll try to get this up again for this year. What is Button Radar? If your planning to be in one spot for a while, send a tweet out with your location and include the hashtag #ButtonRadar The account, @PAXButtoneering will retweet your post! Be sure to follow @PAXButtoneering and turn on/set up mobile notifications. Then you will get texts messages with Buttoneering info! ButtonRadar only works once per hour and will not include images or urls. Please only post relevant info in your tweet.

Buttoneering Meetups!
    Just a reminder on meetup times. We'll be sticking to the same schedule as in the past.

See ya next week!

Jindrax on
  • strttrknstrttrkn Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Is this the right twitter account? https://twitter.com/Buttoneering It looks like it's used for something else & has a different url attached to it.

strttrkn on
    "So, she's added cussing and hurling about of things to her repertoire. She really is a prodigy."05UDUCa.png
    Sorry forgot the pax part. The correct account is PAXButtoneering.

• MiddyBotMiddyBot Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Phew! Finally finished the button and it's been uploaded on the Buttoneer site! It'll be sent off to a local shop to make them, so should be finished in time for PAX c:

rmrksakh1wqe.jpg

Pardon the harsh colors, I learned from my mistake with the first button to brighten up the colors a bit for the printing or else it'll turn out darker than intended... though looking at it again, I'll have to fiddle some more.

I'll be bringing my 2014 leftovers too, I look forward to trading with you all!

MiddyBot on
  • Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    The button, despite gimp crashing and corrupting the original, is finally done! Hopefully it gets there in time...

9ka1fg6g5a6w.png

and my fiance's button

6xsleiii3gxw.png

So the inspiration for the Utropolis button is a bit long winded but long story short here it is.
    On the lead up to Bioshock 2, there was an ARG called "There's something in the sea" and it details a person named Mark Meltzer investigation of his daughter's abduction on a beach by a monster(Big Sister). After talking to fringe groups he makes a connection with "The vanishing" of intellectuals (the disappearance of those who went to Rapture) and his daughters kidnapping. Now one of the pieces of evidence he finds that points to Rapture's existence (as supplied by a ufo group) is a manuscript by Orrin Lutwidge about his experiences in rapture during the civil war and published in a science fiction pulp "Visionary Wonder Stories" as a story called "Utropolis".
    luypa69zlcfw.png

reader's reactions.
    f6qnnk35wb60.png

As you can see from the supplied images there is a bit of division between the readers, some love it, some see it as betraying the intent of Sci-fi, and the editor while admitting they altered it states that the author claims it's all true. Now when I read this I knew I had seen something like it before and then it hit me, this was like the Shaver Mysteries!

In the 40's Richard Shaver sent a manuscript to "Amazing Stories" about how it was revealed to him that an advanced prehistoric race had built underground cities now inhabited by a degenerate evil species called the Deros who cause the worlds misfortune. The editor changed the script so that it wouldn't read like a dull recitation of events (similar to new reports like in utropolis) and published it under "I remember Lemuria".
    nujwlx4nps2t.jpg

and while it was a boon to the pulps sales, many fans of science-fiction thought that the pulp gave up integrity for fantasy. Eventually the editor Palmer would move on to create Fate magazine, "Amazing Stories" refused to publish Shaver's works by the 50's, and Shaver himself moved on to search for proof in "Rock Books". All in all it was a fairly significant event during the golden age of science fiction pulps. So while I don't know if the ARG's creators knew of the Shaver mysteries, it certainly seems similar in the key aspects of a crazy man submits a "report" to a sci-fi pulp about an advanced secret civilization they claim is true, the editor then changes to make it into a novella, the reader base becomes split while later ufo groups come into play("Fate" is a ufo publication while later Amazing stories republished Shaver in the late 50's as part of a flying saucer piece) or I'm just seeing what I want to see. At any rate I decided to make a fusion of the two(i.e had my fiance make it since I have no skill) using the original cover of "I Remember Lemuria".
    fr4mumeiuz5t.jpg

Along with those button I also have my Voodoo Joe and USSA buttons from last year.

5960sxf4axgj.png

d6hh0darbdhq.png

May PAX be upon you.
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I might bring my homeworld buttons from last year since i still have over 75 easy after 3 meetups. Sadly couldn't justify making new buttons for this year when I still have so many from last year.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Jindrax wrote: »
    Hey Everyone! If you haven't ordered your buttons yet, it is probably too late to order and have them arrive on time. Here is an update on all of the info for this year

----
    Buttoneering Board for PA!
    The tradition continues! We'll be presenting the pinboard to Gabe and Jerry at the signing in the Autograph area on Monday @ 12:30pm. There are two ways to get your button(s) in for the board. Stop by the BYOC entry table and drop a button off in the drop off bin or come to a Buttoneering meetup and drop one off with me.

Buttoneering Radar
    We'll try to get this up again for this year. What is Button Radar? If your planning to be in one spot for a while, send a tweet out with your location and include the hashtag #ButtonRadar The account, @PAXButtoneering will retweet your post! Be sure to follow @PAXButtoneering and turn on/set up mobile notifications. Then you will get texts messages with Buttoneering info! ButtonRadar only works once per hour and will not include images or urls. Please only post relevant info in your tweet.

Buttoneering Meetups!
    Just a reminder on meetup times. We'll be sticking to the same schedule as in the past.

See ya next week!

I probably won't make the meetups but if anybody wants to grab the two event buttons I did this year for the board (game night and the Schlitzkrieg), swing by the info table at game night at the Sheraton on Thursday.

Question: Is anyone going to need lanyards for hanging their pins? I know Buttoneers usually need more space than you can get from a single lanyard. But our club has been giving out lanyards for a $5 donation to our hospital for Extra Life. We have over 100 kinds, including Marios, Zeldas, Marvels, Anime, kids, etc. I'm also hoping to have some 6" Children's Miracle Network buttons that I can give out with a $5 donation.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's so easy to get lanyards at pax for free, but that's not a bad idea if someone is looking to make a donation to a good cause.

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FYI, I'm turning on #ButtonRadar tomorrow.

In case you don't know what that is...

#ButtonRadar

Going to be in one spot for a while? Have your buttons to trade? Use #ButtonRadar!

Tweet your location and how long you plan to be there with the hashtag #ButtonRadar, and @PAXButtoneering will rebroadcast it!* People will then know where you are and you can set up impromptu trading spots.

"But wait!" I hear you say, "everyone knows internet access is TERRIBLE at PAX! What good is a hashtag or even an account to follow?" Well! if you turn on mobile notifications for an account, and you have a mobile phone set up with Twitter, then you can get a text every time a tweet comes through on that account. SMS messages DO make it through, even when the normal internet connectivity is non-functional.

So, follow @PAXButtoneering, turn on mobile notifications, and tweet your location in your downtime with the hashtag #ButtonRadar.

*LIMITATIONS: Only one of your #buttonradar tweets will be rebroadcast every 15 minutes. All URLs, hashtags, links, mentions, and images will not be rebroadcast, so keep it to just the relevant info (where are you and for how long). The rebroadcasting won't be turned on until the Thursday before PAX.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    I might bring just a few lanyards for kicks. Space is going to be an issue this trip.

• McgreggersonMcgreggerson Registered User new member
    I'll be attending and only just found out about buttons, so I'm making a batch of hand-painted ones. Keep an eye out for buttons with a sleepy mountain on them.

• laurentheflutelaurentheflute Leader of The Returners AustinRegistered User regular
    I will bring some colorful Lauren the Flute buttons. They're just the name in handwritten font with a color behind them, but hey! Buttons! I'll be at the Returners table in bandland most of the time so I'll be easy to find if anybody wants to trade with me (although your buttons are all kind of more awesome than mine, so)

I got self-conscious about having a self-promotional signature. Now I don't have one anymore. HI, I'M LAUREN, I PLAY MUSIC AND VIDEO GAMES
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    I collect buttons on my backpack. :)

We are a go for the button collection bin at BYOC, got confirmation today. I will pick up the bin at/after 9pm on Sunday and get it to Jindrax for board creation and gifting on Monday. During the weekend, if you're not sure you'll meet up with him or the bin, if you meet me I can also take a pin of yours for the board as well. Hopefully I can run into Jindrax early in the weekend to get some official Buttoneer pins from him to trade same as I did last year. :)

I'll try to upload my pin photos today or tomorrow. Using my F5 button again this year, and bonuses will be my three dog bonuses from years past. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • beef15247beef15247 Anchorage, AkRegistered User new member
    Can't wait to get some button trading going on this year. May have gone crazy with two regular buttons, a bonus, and a super bonus. I'm not great at hitting the meet ups besides the last one, but most years I find people pretty good.

This discussion has been closed.