As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Thread: Fixed last bug in 5 month thread

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I hate switching back to C# after working with SQL and SQLlike languages for like 5 months.
    I mean, that's not true. I'd much rather work with C#.
    I just hate having to remember that I can't do stuff like if(thing = poopy) and to use semicolons and stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I've still yet to figure out just exactly what the point of each of these JS frameworks is supposed to fulfill.

You've got handlebars, react, express, node.

When should I use which? What are some examples!

I see a lot of hello world with a print or something, but real world practical examples are kind of missing.

Handlebars is a templating language that lets you generate HTML more easily. React is an end-to-end framework for making web apps. Express is a framework that sits on top of Node and lets you make webservers more easily. Node is a low-level way to run javascript natively and do network-y things.

Of those, React is the only "framework" in the way it's most commonly used; the other big-name frameworks right now are Angular and Ember. There's things like backbone which is much smaller and just gives you a way to get events/data moving around, without any rendering.

See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5284340/what-is-node-js-connect-express-and-middleware for more about node/express; see many religious war pages for more about react/angular/ember.

Why do people talk about using react and handlebars together? It's confusing as fuck.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I mainly ask all this because I'm contemplating using node/react and RethinkDB for my next project.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    If I can't use state and I can't use refs I'm very, very unclear on what I need to do for validations. I see that Formsy has you pass in properties to those components but that means I need to have separate components for things like Inputs that can accept the validations, right? That means I have to write something similar to Input to do validations. I guess my problem is that this PasswordReset page is literally a self-contained component that uses the Bootstrap components to display stuff... I have to write sub-components that use these (something like <HonkyInput>) that take in these props and those props get validated against whatever I want. How would I get these values from a separate component, though? Like if I had:

PasswordReset.render:
    render: function(){
        <Panel>
            <HonkyInput label="Password" type="password" validateLength />
        </Panel>
        <Panel>
            <i className="fa fa-times password-reset" />
        </Panel>
    }

How would I know if HonkyInput was valid to change the image? Would I attach a function in PasswordReset to HonkyInput that would change the state in PasswordReset?

I'm assuming the image is:
    <i className="fa fa-times password-reset" />

if that is the case then, you know because PasswordRest component is a parent to both HonkyInput and i.

One thing you could do is send down a method as a prop to HonkyInput and i.

Say you have a method inside PasswordReset called handleValidation. i could look something like
    var PasswordReset = React.createClass = {
      handleValidation: function (args) {
        if (foo === bar) {
          setState({valid: qux})
        }
      },
      render: function(){
          <Panel>
              <HonkyInput validationMethod={this.handleValidation} label="Password" type="password" validateLength />
          </Panel>
          <Panel>
              <i className="fa fa-times password-reset" valid={this.state.valid}/>
          </Panel>
      }
    }

and in HonkyInput you can call this.props.validationMethod() and it'll execute whatever is PasswordReset's handeValidation method.

which then sets it's state, which then you can pass down to it's children and they can re-render how they need to.

That's if you don't use something like backbone or Flux to handle state, it is prudent to have state in the closest most common ancestor to whatever components need to talk to each other.

Admittedly it can get to be a huge pain depending on how big your app is and what compoents are interacting with what other components. But Flux/backbone/Mobservable aim to make that easier.

After React is just views, not data/state handling.

Once you get Flux/etc implemented, it's actually suggested to make as many components as 'stateless' as possible.

But with all that said, you keep saying you are on a deadline. If shit is working right now, i'd move on to the next issue/ticket/defect. You can worry about getting it perfect after the deadline.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I know. I just hate that I'm doing something wrong.

But yeah I figured that passing in the validate method from the parent to the child was the best route to go... But I was being sure. Thanks.

• Options
    I've still yet to figure out just exactly what the point of each of these JS frameworks is supposed to fulfill.

I see a lot of hello world with a print or something, but real world practical examples are kind of missing.

Handlebars is a templating language that lets you generate HTML more easily. React is an end-to-end framework for making web apps. Express is a framework that sits on top of Node and lets you make webservers more easily. Node is a low-level way to run javascript natively and do network-y things.

Of those, React is the only "framework" in the way it's most commonly used; the other big-name frameworks right now are Angular and Ember. There's things like backbone which is much smaller and just gives you a way to get events/data moving around, without any rendering.

See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5284340/what-is-node-js-connect-express-and-middleware for more about node/express; see many religious war pages for more about react/angular/ember.

Why do people talk about using react and handlebars together? It's confusing as fuck.

they shouldnt, that is stupid.

most of that crap happens because people see JSX and have a knee jerk reaction and are all like "GET THAT TEMPLATE AWAY FROM LOGIC" without understanding how beneficial it is. because they have a skewed notion of what "seperation of concerns" means.

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

Because React is a logic framework, it's not a view layer. You can just use POHT (plain ol' HTML templates) for templates, or you can use a more full blown templating engine like Handlebars. Angular works much the same way. A lot of people just use HTML, but Jade is also very big in the Angular space.

For most people, just using good ol' HTML is perfectly fine (it's what I do in most of my Angular and React work).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    what.

why would anyone use react and rip out JSX?

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    react is a view layer. thats the entire point of react.

instead of putting weak psuedo logic into html (like handlebars, dust, mustache), you put html inside a powerful logic language i.e. javascript.

using handlebars or some other templating thing inside react to attempt to "separate concerns" completely misses the point.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    JSX is not a view layer. JSX is basically string interpolation on steroids. You can just as easily have Handlebars inside your JSX. It's been done, people do it, it's not hard.

e: And the reason to do it is that for some people HTML is offensively terrible. It's over verbose and gross. I agree with those people, but not enough to actually use a template engine.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    but why

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    I edited with the why.

• Options
    i think we are gonna have to agree to disagree because i fundamentally dont think thats a good way to implement react.

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    http://cpphints.com

PVS-studio publishes some pretty godlike articles critiquing C++ codebases, and they are bite-sizing it!

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Angular works much the same way. A lot of people just use HTML, but Jade is also very big in the Angular space.

Jade's a preprocessor, right? How would you mix Jade in with <ng-repeat> and stuff and keep track of what's getting put in from where? (alternatively, when would you use ngIf -vs- Jade's "if"? the answers to this question seem to suggest that you'd just use Jade as an alternative to HTML, which then falls out as HTML and that HTML goes to Angular? (like writing your angular code in Coffeescript sort of thing).

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    React most definitely is a view/layout thing and you should use it for all of that, JSX and such.

We are using Jade with ours for content only. So, like, our "About Us" page is rendering Jade content into the component, and you can do up your markup that way for all the "static" content. It's replacing the CMS for us right now. When I build a more dynamic database style CMS, it may continue to use Jade.

So if you like Handlebars, you could have done the same as above, just swap it in instead of Jade.

Not sure what other combinations would make sense though, you should be doing React for all your application goodness.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Is anybody else having an issue with the MSDN layout being garbage?
    As of about 2 weeks ago, all the content is using the center half of the screen on my widescreen monitor, with giant blank areas on the side.p11cgnmkz3tp.png
    Look at that eensy weensy scrollbar.
    It's the same in IE and Chrome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Seems like that's perfect, unless you have a 48" monitor.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    That's because too long of lines in content is poor for readability, they're doing that intentionally.

Zoom in with Ctrl +!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Huh, so it is.

Same here as well.

Only just noticed, because I normally operate at around 175% zoom (because I've found that this reduces my eye strain problems). Had to go back to 100% to see the blanks.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    Nogs wrote: »
    i think we are gonna have to agree to disagree because i fundamentally dont think thats a good way to implement react.

At a fundamental level it's no different than just using HTML. The syntax differs. You're not using Jade or Handlebars for the templating so much in this case as using it for syntax, which many people prefer over HTML. No different than writing your React's JavaScript code in Coffee or TypeScript (which is a touch harder because of the way JSX works, but people are doing it).

• Options
    edited August 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Angular works much the same way. A lot of people just use HTML, but Jade is also very big in the Angular space.

Jade's a preprocessor, right? How would you mix Jade in with <ng-repeat> and stuff and keep track of what's getting put in from where? (alternatively, when would you use ngIf -vs- Jade's "if"? the answers to this question seem to suggest that you'd just use Jade as an alternative to HTML, which then falls out as HTML and that HTML goes to Angular? (like writing your angular code in Coffeescript sort of thing).

Yes, basically. The Jade becomes HTML which is then what actually builds the DOM for Angular. You're using it as a syntax replacement, not for all the logic-light templating. It's likely you'd never use Jade 'if', but always use ng-if, unless you had a very specific reason to have logic in the pre-process, which I would almost certainly want most developers to think very hard about. One reason might be that you need something in the view processed server side instead of client side, since Angular does not do progressive enhancement like React.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    that is crazy.

you are all crazy.

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    every time i see the javascript framework holy wars

i am glad i mostly develop desktop stuff

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Infidel wrote: »
    That's because too long of lines in content is poor for readability, they're doing that intentionally.

Zoom in with Ctrl +!
    Maybe to a point, but I'm pretty sure they overshot because at normal zoom level I get about 6 words per line and it makes it really fucking hard for me to read because I'm constantly jumping to a new line and having to scroll for ages to find anything.
    edit: actually zoom doesn't help. I don't want bigger text. I want more text.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    that is crazy.

you are all crazy.

I'M BROWSING THE PA FORUMS AT 175% ZOOM RIGHT NOW HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

It's like everyone's got loud thoughts!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, I got to spend my evening last night on the 4 hour conference call from hell trying to get the app I work on running in our Disaster Recovery simulation environment.

Then this morning was managed chaos as I had to do some last minute build corrections.

At least management is appreciative.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I'm reading accounting textbooks on the side to try and catch up in domain knowledge. Given that I work building accounting software now...this is a good thing. Most of it is pretty dry stuff, but hey - I've learned more than a dozen ways people commit fraud in large corporations!

Plus, I'm certain that accounting + programming is a skillset that will never lack for job opportunities.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Oh gawd Javascript why do you let me use double and single quotation marks for strings?

WHY ARE THERE TWO CHOICES FOR A FUNDAMENTAL DATA TYPE LIKE THIS??

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Oh gawd Javascript why do you let me use double and single quotation marks for strings?

yeah I hate that

• Options
    Much like Js looks at your types and says, "eh, all the same to me"

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

yeah I hate that
    Not sure about js, but in perl, double quotes interpolate, while single do not

• Options

single quotes almost always.

unless it's json.

then double quotes always.

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    it gets really fucky when you need to do something like
    var guyVar = "guy";
    var concatString = "some " + guyVar + " said \"Hello!\"";

which is why single quote can be easier:
    var guyVar = "guy";
    var concatString = 'some ' + guyVar + ' said "Hello!"';

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I think I prefer double quote for longer strings, but I'm not really sure. I'm not terribly consistent about it, unfortunately.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Delmain wrote: »

yeah I hate that
    Not sure about js, but in perl, double quotes interpolate, while single do not

Yeah, that one makes sense. It's like {at}"" in C#, but no, in JS you can just freely interchange '' and ""

E: I mean, in the same code. A single string has to be either 'something' or "something else", not 'a third thing"

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    nm

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    I'll take some small consolation that at least it's simpler than bash scripting's: "This is `echo 'an example to show a dollar ($) sign' `"

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    that is crazy.

you are all crazy.

I think they're talking about using Handlebars to render mostly-static, non-interactive HTML, maybe with some formatting helpers and loops but without any conditional blocks.

At least, that's the only explanation that makes any sense at all to me. Rendering with Handlebars and then trying to bind event handlers after the fact... I don't know, it sounds messy. All you get back from Handlebars is an HTML string. Would you... create a DocumentFragment, plop the HTML in there, and then bind the event handlers? Yuck.

borb_sig.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    bash strings are not understood by modern science

This discussion has been closed.