As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Curious: Why was PAX Prime not held Labor Day this year?

ryamkajrryamkajr Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in PAX West
I know there used to be a periodic conflict with another convention booking, but the Convention Center site shows NOTHING there next weekend...

Would have been good to include the full Labor Day weekend (Monday) vacation day.

http://www.wscc.com/upcoming-events?field_event_start_date_value_1[value][month]=9&field_event_start_date_value_1[value][year]=2015

ryamkajr on

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Just because the building is available for the weekend doesn't mean it's a weekend PAX can use. The show requires a few extra days for setup and strike beyond the 3 (or 4) days of the show.

The first event in September is on the 8th, the day after Labor Day. There's no way that PAX could completely clear out and leave enough time for that show to setup in the scant few hours between PAX ending and that other show beginning.

This restriction is one of the reasons why the dates for East bounce around. PAX isn't the only show that our venue sees.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    ryamkajrryamkajr Registered User regular
    I am fully aware of that as my company attends several events at the WSCC.

But if you look at the calendar, none of the events scheduled that week are all that big, most are under 100 people.

It has no impact on me. I live in Seattle, and only go on Fri and Sat each year. Just seems a waste for those traveling who lose out on that extra holiday.

• Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    PAX is always on the last weeked of August. Labor Day is late this year because it's always the first Monday in September. There's also a medical convention or something every 7 years on the same weekend I heard (but that's not the case this year).

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    PAX is always on the last weeked of August. Labor Day is late this year because it's always the first Monday in September. There's also a medical convention or something every 7 years on the same weekend I heard (but that's not the case this year).

Not its not. Next year its the 2nd - 5th of September over labor day, not the last weekend in Aug not even any days in Aug :biggrin: . This just happens to be how their cycle runs every 4 years its off by 1 weekend. They explained that the last time this happened.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    ryamkajr wrote: »
    I am fully aware of that as my company attends several events at the WSCC.

But if you look at the calendar, none of the events scheduled that week are all that big, most are under 100 people.

It has no impact on me. I live in Seattle, and only go on Fri and Sat each year. Just seems a waste for those traveling who lose out on that extra holiday.
    It doesn't matter how "big" the event is, if it takes place the day after PAX it would be impossible for PAX to have torn everything down before it, especially leaving time for the new event to set up. Also realize it could be more than just the convention center being an issue, now that PAX uses the concert hall, a couple hotels, and the Paramount Theater.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    mattropolismattropolis Registered User regular
    I personally now prefer that it's the weekend before Labor day. Now I can have fun this weekend, AND still have my 3 day Labor Day weekend. I say keep it the week before.

• Options
    MacMaverick206MacMaverick206 Registered User new member
    In terms of Seattle, Bumbershoot happens Labor Day weekend. Bumbershoot is Seattle's largest music festival, this year with The Weeknd, Ellie Goulding, Bassnectar, Faith No More, Zedd, etc.

PAX and Bumbershoot are arguably Seattle's two biggest yearly events. It'd be sort of conflict of interest for the organizers of both to do two humongous events on the same exact weekend.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    In terms of Seattle, Bumbershoot happens Labor Day weekend. Bumbershoot is Seattle's largest music festival, this year with The Weeknd, Ellie Goulding, Bassnectar, Faith No More, Zedd, etc.

PAX and Bumbershoot are arguably Seattle's two biggest yearly events. It'd be sort of conflict of interest for the organizers of both to do two humongous events on the same exact weekend.

Yet they have been the same weekend for years. I actually like it...one year I did pax, a day of bumber, and a Sounders game all in one weekend!

Edit: My guess is it has to do with scheduling of the other venues (Benaroya, Paramount, etc)...really need that WSCC expansion soon.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    I personally now prefer that it's the weekend before Labor day. Now I can have fun this weekend, AND still have my 3 day Labor Day weekend. I say keep it the week before.

My kids and myself vote against you and we win 3 to 1.