As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I assumed what would happen all along.

I could see Nintendo doing small print runs of some of their more successful Indie partnerships like Shovel Knight and Commander Video, but the prevailing internet assumption that "AMIIBO = SMASH CHARACTER" is a bit overblown and frankly incorrect.

Well, we don't know it's incorrect yet. I mean, odds are it is, but weirder things have happened with Smash.

What weirder thing than "obscure third-party character from an one-shot mutliplatform Indie title that's barely been out for over a year makes it onto the smash bros roster" has happened so far?

Game and Watch? Or heck, Snake who wasn't even on Nintendo platforms anymore when Brawl came out (cept maybe the GC port)

Mr. Game & Watch is part of Nintendo's history, him appearing in a game whose primary existence is celebrating Nintendo isn't weird at all.

Snake is a fan favorite character and a character who has been around since the 80s and appeared on Nintendo platforms multiple times. It's less weird for him to be in Smash Bros. than Sonic, if anything.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    You can say the exact same thing about Shovel Knight except that he is newer

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2015
    Snake was in the game because Kojima literally begged Sakurai for it. At that point MGS was not considered this big Nintendo thing.

It's not like Mega Man where there's a clear legacy on the older systems.

EDIT: Shovel Knight is only even considered for it because he's from an old-school Nintendo aesthetic, in which case there are SCORES of characters that are shoe-ins for Smash.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I think Shovel Knight Amiibo is a great move for Nintendo as they seem to be actively woo-ing Indie developers at the moment. Nintendo isn't really in the AAA M-Rated industry and it seems 3rd parties aren't interested in porting over that type of game. Therefore, why not make your console as hospitable as possible to indies by bringing them into the loop and offering them a slice of the Amiibo money making?

I wonder if it will be part of an Indie series. Kerbals are getting a port, an Amiibo of them would be great. You could bring them into Smash and Kart too pretty easily as Mii costumes.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I would love an indie series with Shovel Knight, Commander Video, Gunman Clive, Shantae, and Toki Tori.

Best set of amiibo ever.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I want a Commander Video amiibo more than anything.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I like playing as Unkle Dill myself.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Shantae amiibo flat out needs to happen. I would also buy the shit out of a Guacamelee amiibo.

Edit: Crap, forgot about Steamworld Dig! That would be awesome too

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Me too, Rusty from Steamworld Dig would be great.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If nothing else, this is a pretty big symbol of Nintendo's commitment to indies.

Though an indie inclusion in Smash would be an even bigger one... :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Commander Video got a trophy, so you know Nintendo has them in their mind.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I need that amiibo

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Warlock82 on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Edit2: Goddammit that's a fake twitter account lol

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    skeldare wrote: »
    Edit2: Goddammit that's a fake twitter account lol

Oops, someone must have retweeted it.. Bleh... Just put in the real one instead

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    They even got Game Grumps to do an ad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgkijxvGULo

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Ok, now that's better. Shovel Knight amiibo exclusive to Home Depot.

Damn, now the flood gates are open.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Info!
    Cooperative Multiplayer (exclusive to Wii U)!

Join a friend’s Shovel Knight campaign and shovel together!
    Use new cooperative moves to help each other out along the way!

Deep Customization!

Level up by defeating enemies and finding treasure!
    Earn all-new relics, abilities, and powers you never thought possible!
    Customize the look of your Shovel Knight with cool and crazy cosmetic options!
    Use your custom amiibo seamlessly between 3DS and Wii U!

Exclusive Challenge Stages!

Battle your way through amiibo exclusive challenge stages that take advantage of the new amiibo relics and abilities!
    One amiibo, multiple games

We plan to continue support of the Shovel Knight amiibo in future Yacht Club Games and Nintendo products! Stay tuned to amiibo.com for compatibility details in new games.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't like this. But only because the amiibo situation up to this point has done nothing but blacken my already cynical heart.

You say: "Battle your way through amiibo exclusive challenge stages that take advantage of the new amiibo relics and abilities!"
    I say: "Look at all this cool shit I can't touch because I'll never see the damn thing on a store shelf."

:(

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    NFC figures are detrimental to consumers. I keep saying this over and over, but I've yet to see them add anything to video games that we don't already have (DLC and figurines) but they do add the downside of games having overpriced, limited supply DLC.

They are a terrible thing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    NFC figures are detrimental to consumers. I keep saying this over and over, but I've yet to see them add anything to video games that we don't already have (DLC and figurines) but they do add the downside of games having overpriced, limited supply DLC.

On one hand, everything you said.

On the other hand, Shovel Knight Amiibo.

I have a problem.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I'm an occasional buyer of these things. I bought the Toad one because Captain Toad, I got the Dedede one for Kirby Rainbow Curse (not all that useful), and all the Splatoon ones (I wasn't all that interested in the content to begin with, but they were there on the shelf, so why not?)

I'm lucky we import from Japan here.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I like to think of amiibo as a free toy with my DLC. Like the Happy Meals of gaming.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

I'm more receptive to the practice when one amiibo works with multiple games. Like with Link, there's the SSB stuff, but I also got a costume in Mario Kart and a weapon in Hyrule Warriors. And I'll get another costume for Super Mario Maker. All that, and I get a neat figure to look at, so I feel like I got my money and fill out of it.

Instead though they're doubling down on the opposite. Creating a specific line of amiibo for every new game, with little to no promise that they'll be used for other games in the future.

I'm glad I'm not interested in any of the Animal Crossing stuff, game or amiibo. But the smart play would be to create 2-3 specific amiibo for it, but then also let you use all your existing amiibo to unlock random stuff. Instead nope, they're all useless and here's 10 figures to empty your wallet and collect dust on the shelf. That in turn will be useless when the next game comes along, and so on and so on.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Nope.

By now, there are enough games to support each of them that you're getting new functionality across multiple games with one amiibo. Plus, y'know, a cool, officially licensed figure of your favorite characters.

Given the ridiculous success of amiibo, I think Nintendo kinda knew what they were doing. Plus, Nintendo still has the best DLC in the industry, amiibo hasn't really changed that, it only added to it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    That functionality is dependent on both the amiibo, and the game in question. On one end of the scale is Link who I already mentioned does several unique things for a few games. On the other end is *eyes the shelf...* Mega Man, who does almost squat outside SSB. And I can't really consider stuff like extra lives in Captain Toad or random materials in Hyrule Warriors as terribly meaningful. That barely qualifies as "better than nothing".

At least they're getting a bit better. The costumes in Woolly World and Super Mario Maker are definitely steps in the right direction.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    That functionality is dependent on both the amiibo, and the game in question. On one end of the scale is Link who I already mentioned does several unique things for a few games. On the other end is *eyes the shelf...* Mega Man, who does almost squat outside SSB. And I can't really consider stuff like extra lives in Captain Toad or random materials in Hyrule Warriors as terribly meaningful. That barely qualifies as "better than nothing".

At least they're getting a bit better. The costumes in Woolly World and Super Mario Maker are definitely steps in the right direction.

Every amiibo unlocks a VC trial in amiibo Touch & Play and like you said, very nearly all of them unlock a costume in Super Mario Maker and most of them unlock a pattern in Yoshi's Woolly World.

It adds up.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    There are ways they can be used well, there are ways they can be used badly. I take it all case by case.

Going back to Splatoon again, I legitimately wasn't worried about the amiibo content because it didn't seem that interesting. But I just happened to see the 3-pack one day so I went for it because why not? Pure impulse, and I haven't really bothered to do every single thing.

My limit when it comes to these things is: "How important is this content?" If it's actually stuff that is central to playing the game, I wouldn't support that kind of thing. If it's like Yoshi's Woolly World or Mario Maker where the extra stuff is purely cosmetic or can be obtained without them, I wouldn't really bother with amiibo anyway.

Nintendo is skirting the line with some of these, but I'm not opposed to amiibo on a conceptual level.

edzepp on
  • Options
    Amiibo Tap's novelty vanished ridiculously quick. "Look, Mario unlocked a Kirby game, that's so wacky! ....So now what?".

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

I like them because they're figures... And nothing more, really. It's uncommon for there to be a good figurine that's not expensive as fuck, like for example, Pit's Figma. My God, is that expensive.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    How about them releasing a game patch unlocks the gated content with any amiibo, or releasing actual DLC that unlocks it in the eShop in a delayed release? I can wait for actual downloadable DLC if they really want to sell these figures so bad.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    If you are getting amiibo for the digital stuff, you are doing it wrong.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    on a scale of horrifically impossible to find to 1, how hard is it gonna be to get the shovel knight amiibo?
    horrifically impossible to find, calling it now

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    on a scale of horrifically impossible to find to 1, how hard is it gonna be to get the shovel knight amiibo?

Nintendo seems at least good about making sure there is more stock of amiibos of characters that aren't theirs

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

Nintendo seems at least good about making sure there is more stock of amiibos of characters that aren't theirs

I feel like in general this is more of a case of people not really being interested in the 3rd party amiibo. Pac-Man was available for preorder everywhere long after everything else dried up in seconds. And I don't think it's because Nintendo made 100x more of him than the others.

• Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

Yeah, they will produce a butt ton of these. I feel like Nintendo is worried about offending 3rd parties by under-producing their figures, so they over compensate with them.

Plus amiibo supply in general has been getting way better. (Still can't believe how long the Retro 3 pack was live)

• Options
      Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      I've been looking into what Amiibo unlock in games since I got one, and I'm a little underwhelmed, but unsure what else they could do.

They want to make the stuff good enough to entice sales, but not substantial enough that anyone feels annoyed they are locked behind a plastic toy if they don't want that bit.

Costumes are the perfect balance point IMO. If my Link Amiibo unlocks a goofy Link costume in a whole bunch of games going forward then I'll be happy.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
      Just looking them up on Target, the 3 most valuable amiibos I have are

Little Mac, who is worth 40 bucks

Lucina, who is worth 50

and Inkling Squid, who is worth 51

And I got all of these for retail price

6F32U1X.png