As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Renting] Thread

1929394959698»

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    so it's been 17 days since a big chunk crumbled out of our wall due to water damage, maintenance came out and looked at it and came with a plan to fix it, no word on when that'll actually be done. emailed them two days ago to ask for a timeline, absolutely no response at all. go to see if I can comment on their facebook page in the hopes that maybe THAT will get me some notice and not only have they disabled comments on their facebook page but their own leasing agent gave them a five star rating "because this doesn't seem very balanced"
    jesus fucking christ

also I've been emailing them about the clearly apparent water damage behind the wall for three months, it's not new, it's just the literal chunk falling out of the wall that's new. the stains and bubbling paint have been there quite some time

That sounds like something the Housing Services/Authority would like to hear about.

I talked to maintenance again today (unrelatedly as I was trying to put my blind up and it snapped in half and scared the shit outta me) and he said the apartment manager called him to talk about scheduling and asked if she had got in touch with me and I said no
    like... I don't understand why they don't just respond to emails?? it would placate me so much if they would just even say "we're pricing out the repair"? this building is nearly 100 years old I know there's gonna be issues that are a long term complicated fix but at least say something

I'm referring to governmental institutions.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    so it's been 17 days since a big chunk crumbled out of our wall due to water damage, maintenance came out and looked at it and came with a plan to fix it, no word on when that'll actually be done. emailed them two days ago to ask for a timeline, absolutely no response at all. go to see if I can comment on their facebook page in the hopes that maybe THAT will get me some notice and not only have they disabled comments on their facebook page but their own leasing agent gave them a five star rating "because this doesn't seem very balanced"
    jesus fucking christ

also I've been emailing them about the clearly apparent water damage behind the wall for three months, it's not new, it's just the literal chunk falling out of the wall that's new. the stains and bubbling paint have been there quite some time

That sounds like something the Housing Services/Authority would like to hear about.

I talked to maintenance again today (unrelatedly as I was trying to put my blind up and it snapped in half and scared the shit outta me) and he said the apartment manager called him to talk about scheduling and asked if she had got in touch with me and I said no
    like... I don't understand why they don't just respond to emails?? it would placate me so much if they would just even say "we're pricing out the repair"? this building is nearly 100 years old I know there's gonna be issues that are a long term complicated fix but at least say something

I'm referring to governmental institutions.

yes I'm aware, I'm just venting still. housing authority here is solely for government-maintained housing, I'd have to report it to my city code department and then they still have regulations/extensions for 'good faith' attempts at repair, and since our building is so old they get more time to work on it, and if possible I'd prefer to not HAVE to move because our landlord hates us or something since our landlord could really fuck our lives up if they wanted to

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So our AC unit has these options with like a non electric button for like vents. Open, closed, and Fresh AIr. Fresh Air sounds nice, but I can't figure out how this thing works. No manual, and everyplace on the until that would have a model number has been painted over....

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    .....so my roommate just sent me a Facebook message while I was on my way to the post-PAX airport saying he is moving in with one of his old roommates who is a few blocks away and if I really like the apartment to let him know, because if not he'd like to end the lease. On Tuesday. With a moveout date at the end of October.

I'm incredibly upset about this. Not only did he not talk to me about ending the lease at all, but he had dodged questions about it when I asked at the start of the month. And he did it by text. And has basically set a date that makes it so if the lady I asked can't move in with me, my options outside of moving back home are pretty limited.

I spent the five hour plane ride formulating a response with the right amount of disdain.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I didn't know sledgehammer was spelled D-I-S-D-A-I-N

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    ummmm, he does know that tenants can't just unilaterally 'end' leases, right?

the fuck dude

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It can depend on the jurisdiction

• Options
    edited August 2015
    looking up ontario's lease ending regulations, if it's an annual lease the only options are a very understanding landlord, or assigning the lease.
    If it's month to month it still needs 60 days notice.
    Even if it's week to week it needs a month notice.

E: Unless Cello is saying that he's wanting to give notice of ending the lease on tuesday for a move-out day in october, which would make a lot of sense. And still be a monstrous dick move.
    If that is the case could you talk to your landlord and say something like "hey, we're giving notice today that we're going to be ending the lease, but I really like the space so if it's okay with you I'm going to be spending the next two months to try and find someone to live with me, and if I can I'd like to keep renting here and if not then I'll be moving out" if you've been a good renter (I'm guessing you have), the landlord is probably going to want to keep you on and would agree?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Most landlords are more than willing to let you continue on if you've been a good tenant, outside of circumstances such as rent control, etc. etc. etc. Really, it's a matter of you setting a move-out date and being willing to have them show the place to prospective renters until you can line someone up and sign a new lease.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Well, he seems to have realized how colossal a dick move it was and decided not to go through with it at least, after the message I sent. Still awfully mad though, he should have realized what a shitty thing it was to do in the first place and I definitely trust him less after the past two weeks. Super not cool.

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    AAAAAHHH HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET INTO MY FIRST APARTMENT IF THEY NEED RENTAL HISTORY

FUCK

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PASS A CREDIT CHECK WHEN I DON'T HAVE ANY CREDIT

OH GOD

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    You may need a guarantor.

Were you in college? Did you stay in the dorms/school housing?

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be starting college this semester. I've lived at home up to this point. I called the management company and the lady on the phone said that I could just note that on the application.

ALSO, since I don't have credit I'll have to pay double the deposit. Yaaay. The other problem I have is that I'm still in Wyoming on vacation so I can't really give them a photo id or anything with the application, so I guess I'll have to figure something out...

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    If you're moving near the college (or if it's a college town) then they'll be used to most tenants being in your situation. :P Sucks on the doubled deposit though!

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Gotta have a talk with the roommate tonight about how shitty he's been. And also about future rent prospects.

But honestly? I'm strongly debating moving back into my parents' place. Thanks to the economy being hell this year I basically have no savings from helping my parents out with the mortgage while my dad wasn't booking any work, and now I don't have much of a moral requirement to be decent to my roommate. This way I'd be able to save a ton per pay to eventually get a studio apartment and be able to like... afford food regularly. That'd be neat.

We'll see how talking goes tonight, but honestly, I think it's better off in the long run if I gather up a substantial savings. It probably helps that my family is pretty excellent and would be entirely cool with it.

Steam
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Kamiro wrote: »
    It really does sound like it's in your best interest to move out from living with the guy. It just sounds like something will eventually happen down the road that'll end up being worse than what's already happened. Best to cut your losses.

Yeah, going over it in my head it kind of feels like the only cons to this are pride-related. Essentially worrying that some of the folks I graduated with (who have homes and significant others) might think less of me for it. But at the same time I've kinda stopped caring what those people think, so maybe it's not as big of a con as I used to think it was?

Also that dating might be harder, but if a dude thinks less of me for being happy living with my family then he ain't worth it, really.

Edit: I talked with my roommate and basically said that I am probably moving home but am taking the week to think about it. He basically said he was being pressured by two of the guys living there to try to pressure me into making the call faster and that he was gonna let us have the month to figure it out; I told him that it was still absolutely uncool, it was super hurtful and that he could still have said no and my voice kinda broke and now I'm crying and I'm just gonna play Rocket League until feelings stop happening (is that possible WE'LL FIND OUT)

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    CosCos Registered User regular
    Ugh, apartment hunting suuuuuuuuucks.

Does anyone know of any affordable and dog-friendly places in Philly?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Cleveland?

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Cello wrote: »
    It really does sound like it's in your best interest to move out from living with the guy. It just sounds like something will eventually happen down the road that'll end up being worse than what's already happened. Best to cut your losses.

Yeah, going over it in my head it kind of feels like the only cons to this are pride-related. Essentially worrying that some of the folks I graduated with (who have homes and significant others) might think less of me for it. But at the same time I've kinda stopped caring what those people think, so maybe it's not as big of a con as I used to think it was?

Also that dating might be harder, but if a dude thinks less of me for being happy living with my family then he ain't worth it, really.

Edit: I talked with my roommate and basically said that I am probably moving home but am taking the week to think about it. He basically said he was being pressured by two of the guys living there to try to pressure me into making the call faster and that he was gonna let us have the month to figure it out; I told him that it was still absolutely uncool, it was super hurtful and that he could still have said no and my voice kinda broke and now I'm crying and I'm just gonna play Rocket League until feelings stop happening (is that possible WE'LL FIND OUT)

Tell them to go pound sand. If your folks are happy to have you, take advantage of it. If those people you graduated with give you shit, ask how much they pay for rent/mortgages; should shut them up in a hurry.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options

Would you care to get drunk and commiserate in the near future?

The only thing thats kept me from moving back into my parents house is that I was renting from them before I was unemployed and they were unbelievably kind and told me I wasn't going to be responsible for rent until I got a new job.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

Would you care to get drunk and commiserate in the near future?

The only thing thats kept me from moving back into my parents house is that I was renting from them before I was unemployed and they were unbelievably kind and told me I wasn't going to be responsible for rent until I got a new job.

I am so down for this you would not believe

Steam
  • Options
    I have a wedding shower this weekend, but next weekend or any other time I'd be down

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Cello as hard as it was for me to do this on my own when I needed to, Screw pride. And screw what the rest of whoever thinks. It sounds like moving back home will be better for you in the long run, both financially and emotionally. swallowing the pill and the feeling of having your tail between you legs takes time, but my goodness it is so worth it to be able to save the money you need to get out onyour own and be stable.

I moved back home with my parents after a bad 5 years away, drowning in debt and self loathing. I got my debts paid off, I got the self loathing under control and i saved enough to move to NZ.

And seriously, you tell your current flatmate to drop dead for pressuring you. You pay the bills just as much as he does, you have the right to take the time.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm so jealous of the people at my work living at home. Dudes are saving hella money

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Paying only $600 a month toward an apartment in Mountain View (had two roommates, and it was kind of... not great) went a long way toward me being able to buy a house.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be starting college this semester. I've lived at home up to this point. I called the management company and the lady on the phone said that I could just note that on the application.

ALSO, since I don't have credit I'll have to pay double the deposit. Yaaay. The other problem I have is that I'm still in Wyoming on vacation so I can't really give them a photo id or anything with the application, so I guess I'll have to figure something out...

Take a picture of ID, email to apartment manager?

Honestly that's what I did for the rental application on the house

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Thanks, thread. Venting super helped; I just need to figure out when would be best, but I'm definitely gonna let my parents know tonight I'd like to move home. Might end up paying another month's rent while not living in the place but that sounds preferable to sitting and waiting and throwing money into the abyss.

The vindictive part of me just wants to do it this weekend but I'm going to give it another day before I decide if leaving with 3/4 of the furniture and all of the plates would be funny enough to do as soon as possible.

Steam
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I know you probably don't want to be a shit person to that guy.

But he's been really shitty about this whole thing to you on multiple occasions so I say fuck him and just leave.

He was going to leave you in the lurch so he could do whatever he wanted.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I'd be vindictive and get that stuff out quickly, but I have been known to delight in the suffering of soon to be former roommates.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, my parents are totally cool with it and are helping shuttle stuff back on Sunday. I have a few other friends who are going to help pack too. Luckily the soon-to-be-ex-roommate works at night so it won't be as awkward.

Thanks for the support, guys; I really do appreciate the kind words. If there's another renting thread I'll update you on how moving goes and if I had to burn the place down or not!

Steam
This discussion has been closed.