As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

guitar/electronica song dump

AximAxim Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Artist's Corner
hey not alot of music shows up here so figured i'd toss on some of the stuff i've been playing with. only been playing guitar for 8 months so timing's probably off here and there. setup is guitarport/cubase/reason

baby steps
decemberists cover
the drifter
steady
11th hour
puppeteer

cheers

Axim on

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Hey cool stuff there. I like the overall sound/mood of the music. From my own point of view, the music is interesting and nice to listen to... good "chill-out" music. There are plenty of interesting sounds being created, and nice variations and subtleties etc (ie: it's not boring) :P Nothing worse than the same synth or melody being played over and over to death for 3+ minutes.

I'm a complete nub when it comes to this kinda stuff, though. How exactly are you producing this music? I know so far that you're recording your guitar melodies, but what about the other music? guitarport/cubase/reason means nothing to me, never heard of it/them before :?

And for 8 months of guitar, that isn't too bad... have you had previous experience in music? Most of the melodies are simple, but that doesn't make them bad. Some of the simplest melodies are also the most popular ;)

Btw, I've been playing for about 15 months now on acoustic, and got my electric in May. I still prefer my acoustic anyway. I need to work on it a bit more before I can whip up cool shit on an electric... Though I haven't been so focused on it as of late, mainly due to college related matters.

Keep up the good work though. :^:

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    hey thanks man, yeah i'm have some mediocre self-taught piano skills which translated over well to learning basic theory for the guitar. though 90% is stil by ear i really need to learn some scales and key signatures etc.

as for recording basically what i have is as close as you'll get to a garageband sort of setup on pc. so..

cubase - multi-track recorder, use it to record guitar and master the audio, also it rigs into reason so i can edit with both in real time

reason - synthesizer/sequencer, thats what i used to make all the strings, audio samples, beats, basically anything that isn't guitar. normally i use a midi keyboard but at university i had to choose between that and the epiphone so i just use a plugin that lets me use the pc keyboard as a piano midi input

guitarport - line 6 makes this, its a hardware device that lets you plug your guitar into the computer to do decent quality recording

thanks again man hope that clarifies the setup

Axim on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ah yeah. I roughly figured you'd have something like that. Guitarport sounds pretty interesting. I've had friends who have simply hooked their guitar up to the PC via a line out cable from the amp, but I guess the quality wouldn't be as good as with specialized hardware like Guitarport.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    SpilltoySpilltoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sounds like shit every time I try that. Of course, I nowadays really like the idea of close mic-ing the amp and the guitar. You get tone and sound from the actual amp, and then the undertone of string/pick sounds and that weird springy noise you get from playing an electric unamplifiedly.

Spilltoy on
    I really don't.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yeah you can't just go straight to into a line in jack because it's not powered or anything. you need some sort of preamp. back home i have a digital delay box i used for it. i'd just run the guitar in turn all the effects off and run it into the computer.

really if you're interested in recording at all or looking to save yourself $$ on pedals just buy a guitarport and i'm sure you can find guitar rig 2 kicking around somewhere online..

Axim on