As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    IIRC, Alien Battleships are a potential source of Commanders so we might see the interior of one eventually.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    Rend, your 45 firing accuracy is head and shoulders above Heffling's meager 41. Clearly you were the man for this job all along. I believe you can succeed where he failed.

Holy shit, you actually hit it.

Commander, I've been making the long shots since day one. I'm basically if robin hood had a quiver of guided missiles.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    Kipling wrote: »
    You've been lucky that all the aliens leave the ship. I loved the ship design in the old XCOM. The hideous choke points and blind corners made breaching something that you didn't want to do. And that made sense to me.

The rebooted aliens designed an open concept UFO with four entry points in the new version, and why would anyone design a ship like that?

Feng shui?

Space OSHA mandating sufficient points of egress in the case of an emergency.

Emergency being evacuation in the aftermath of a crash landing due to an external hostile force firing thermonuclear warhead tipped missiles or gatling fusion plasma cannons at you, I presume?

Or a water landing.

Six-of-one, half-a-dozen of the other ...

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

AND STILL IT LIVES

Get it, Heffling! Reaction fire! Go go go!

I point the end that looks like an open can of pringles at it, right?

Heffling on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Heffling wrote: »

AND STILL IT LIVES

Get it, Heffling! Reaction fire! Go go go!

I point the end that looks like an open can of pringles at it, right?

Okay, who gave Heffling my pringles?
    And where'd you stash his actual weapon?

see317 on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    Rend, your 45 firing accuracy is head and shoulders above Heffling's meager 41. Clearly you were the man for this job all along. I believe you can succeed where he failed.

Holy shit, you actually hit it.

Commander, I've been making the long shots since day one. I'm basically if robin hood had a quiver of guided missiles.

Wait a minute, he's not supposed to shoot things

• crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »
    Congrats, sergeant crucialityfactor

I guess I need to start laying on the muscle butter and calling people ninnies. As well as work on my sergeant snarl.

mbcfybmpqf7x.jpg

This provides quite a counterpoint to your avatar.

Gotta be at least a little bit bipolar to rise through the ranks of XCom.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

I guess I need to start laying on the muscle butter and calling people ninnies. As well as work on my sergeant snarl.

mbcfybmpqf7x.jpg

"This machine kills barns."

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: »

mbcfybmpqf7x.jpg

"This machine kills barns."

:snap: :snap: :snap: :snap: :snap: :snap:

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    hjmF0Rs.png

I'll be honest, Vahlen. This isn't quite what I was expecting when I asked for a transport vessel.

6WgR1hu.pngThe most important scientific breakthroughs often come unexpectedly, Commander.

Tkdqah4.png

But it can only seat one person!

6WgR1hu.pngAnd two weapon systems. This craft will afford us ample opportunities to test the effects of extreme acceleration on both humans and machine components. Weeks of fruitful research lie ahead of us!

I'm sure it's a terrific design. When this is all over, we'll build one, and you can conduct test flights to your heart's content. But this isn't what I asked for.

6WgR1hu.pngNo, it isn't.

It's not the first time this has happened, either. Why do you keep second-guessing my decisions?

6WgR1hu.pngBecause the course you have set is completely inadvisable! We can't go on like this, starved for funds and research opportunities. Something has to change.

o42OVm4.png** Fanda, please report to Mission Control. Fanda to Mission Control. **

Vahlen, that's not your call to make. And I think I've guided the war effort pretty well, so far.

6WgR1hu.pngOh yes, it's been a real triumph. Slaughtering hapless Sectoids and Floaters at small UFO crash sites. Well done. Meanwhile, you've run away from every serious fight you've been confronted with.

I don't think I like your tone, Doctor.

6WgR1hu.pngTell me, does your opposition to the Firestorm design arise from an ingrained hostility to scientific progress? Or are you afraid that we might finally shoot down something larger than a Scout ship?

Now, listen here -

o42OVm4.png** Fanda, please report to Mission Control. Fanda to Mission Control. **

6WgR1hu.pngIt sounds like you're needed elsewhere, Commander. You should attend to that. I can carry on just fine without you.

All right, just give me a transport this time. Something with a range measured in AU. No space wasted on weaponry.

6WgR1hu.pngNot to worry, Commander. I am amenable to compromise.

ZtwFLAV.png

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I hate it when mommy and daddy fight.

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    o42OVm4.pngFanda, please report to Mission Control. Fanda to -

All right, Baske, I'm here. What's going on?

o42OVm4.pngCheck the monitor, sir. Elvenshae's patrol of South Africa turned up something.

qZAYG1i.png

It's only a Scout ship, Baske. Don't get me wrong, I always appreciate being rescued from a conversation with Dr. Vahlen, but you really didn't have to call me up here for this. Send out EvmaAlsar, he'll make short work of it.

o42OVm4.pngYes sir, he's already in the air. You're looking at the recorded feed from 90 minutes ago. The Major picked up additional contacts on his flight south.

jaMkCA4.png

Another Scout. I assume you dispatched timspork's ghost?

o42OVm4.pngFor the first one, yes sir.

BG5P4Zw.png

o42OVm4.pngWe weren't sure what to do about the second.

tnTzHJl.png

A large! Very low altitude ... could be on a terror mission.

o42OVm4.pngShould I recall Elvenshae for strike team duty?

The Skyranger will never get back and refuel in time. Leave him on site to shadow that ship in case it lands, and get a team from Neo-ChongQing in the air.

o42OVm4.pngAye aye. Colonel an_alt has been notified.

c4RtvgK.pngI'm closing with UFO-38 now, Haus von Trapp. It's a Large Scout.

1zHAipw.png

c4RtvgK.pngCorrection, it was a Large Scout. Now it's salvage.

Good work, Evma!

o42OVm4.pngUFO-39 and UFO-40 are both landing.

utRaZx2.pngI've still got a large airborne blip on my radar, Haus von Trapp. Check again.

2ixqWyX.png

This isn't a terror mission.

acGRunS.png

This is something else.

utRaZx2.pngThe Scout ship saw me, it's taking off again!

4gNlFJG.png

utRaZx2.pngScratch one Medium Scout. Just need to kill a Large Scout now to complete the set. Returning to base.

Hang on, timspork. Do a flyby of that new large UFO and give us an image of it. Standoff distance only. Don't take any risks.

utRaZx2.pngUnderstood, Haus von Trapp.

o42OVm4.pngSir, the Battleship is touching down.

K96DP5G.png

Skyranger-2, that's your target!

NpdQsan.pngCoordinates received. We're over the Indian Ocean now. Let's hope it stays on the ground until we get there.

Issue a stun rod to everyone who can carry one, an_alt. We may not get another chance like this.

utRaZx2.png I'm coming into visual range of one of the large UFOs now. We haven't seen this model before.

3PZEaKZ.png

Thank you, Lieutenant. Now get out of there. Your Avalanches won't make a dent in that thing.

utRaZx2.pngCopy that, heading home.

o42OVm4.pngThe Battleship is taking off again ... along with one of the large UFOs ... they're moving to high altitude.

Gtm0SnR.png

kET18cG.png

o42OVm4.pngThey've left the atmosphere, sir. We lost them.

God damn it. At least there's still a large UFO left on the board. That's your target now, Skyranger-2. It's bound to hold some upper-echelon aliens.

6NJSXVY.png

NpdQsan.pngWe're coming down into the jungle now. Combat stations, everyone! Electro-flares at the ready!

GPo8dSS.pngHaus von Trapp, this is Skyranger-1, northbound over Zaire. I've got something here for you.

I'm afraid we're fresh out of Interceptors, Elvenshae.

GPo8dSS.pngNo sir, it's not a UFO. This is ... something else.

feBy3JI.png

GPo8dSS.png It looks like a hole in the jungle.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    And now the fun really starts.

"Hole in the Jungle" is my Guns'n'Roses cover band.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Holy crap.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Break out the paint, drinks are on me!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Woooow, lots of activity. Good thing too - we were starting to run low on Grey Goo for the milkshake machine.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I wonder which Skyranger team will get the honor of filling in that hole.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    This is what we've trained for ladies and gentlemen. This will be our final finest hour

steam_sig.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    This is what we've trained for ladies and gentlemen. This will be our final finest hour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    What could possibly go wrong?

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    So I hear our eyes in the sky found something strange in the cradle of humanity.

OOC: this is like a page-turning novel

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I see the death pool I'm running will make many a payouts.

I mean, there is no death pool. >.>

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Yea boy! No ramps to stop my rampage THIS time!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Rampage of death!
    Yᴏᴜ ʀᴀɴɢ?
    06pq4nnxkiac.jpg

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Oh snap, Neo-Chongching is in play, I could be on my first mission in months.

Vechloran.png
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular

Issue a stun rod to everyone who can carry one, an_alt. We may not get another chance like this.

keep-calm-and-ride-the-lightning-14.png

Finally, a weapon I can actually use

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    FYI, we will be watching the feeds live for entertainment, er.... studious mission viewing, in the pilot's lounge as usual. Off duty team members are also welcome but asked to keep their feet off the velvet furniture. They are also asked to bring their own drinks. Popcorn will be provided.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I see the death pool I'm running will make many a payouts.

I mean, there is no death pool. >.>

What this thread needs is a tontine.

Cog on
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Wait, we're using stun batons? I've only been halfway monitoring this thread and have only noticed aliens getting knocked out by chance.

When a slot opens up in the meat grinder, I'd like to !Signup for service. I'd like a stun baton, a smoke grenade or two, a handful of proximity grenades, and then as many high explosive packs as I can carry! (make that slightly more high explosive packs than I can carry)

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Wait, we're using stun batons? I've only been halfway monitoring this thread and have only noticed aliens getting knocked out by chance.

When a slot opens up in the meat grinder, I'd like to !Signup for service. I'd like a stun baton, a smoke grenade or two, a handful of proximity grenades, and then as many high explosive packs as I can carry! (make that slightly more high explosive packs than I can carry)

The targets this time may have commanders in them. We need to capture one of those.

edited August 2015
    Well if I can't have a stun baton on regular missions, then I guess I'll just have more high explosives. That or spare rocket launcher ammo to toss to people like an explosive football.

6g9tq9cvylrf.jpg

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity, when undertaking a high stakes 'stun the alien commander' mission, what about carrying a primed HE pack, so if the stun fails AND the operative gets riddled with plasma the next turn, they get one last punch back?

edited August 2015
    That would likely kill the commander by setting off a horrible chain reaction of explosions in the command room, which would make it very hard for the next rookie to charge in and make a live capture attempt.

Sometimes the commanders suicide by firing a blaster launcher which sets off the chain reaction.

I'm talking about bases. I don't think battleship bridges are as volatile, although they can be just as deadly if blaster bombs start flying in that enclosed space.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Whoever stuns the alien gets an early Christmas bonus!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Whoever stuns the alien gets an early Christmas bonus!

I'd like to suggest that when you receive your early Christmas bonus you keep it in this clearly labeled Christmas Bonus Envelope.
    After that you can safely store the envelope in any convenient pocket if I happen to be assigned to a mission with you, or your foot locker should I be left on base for your next outing in defense of our planet.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I would like to !signup.

As a medic with a rifleman load out

(Please don't make me breach entrances)

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Whoever stuns the alien gets an early Christmas Chrysalid bonus!

Whoever stuns the alien gets an early Christmas Chrysalid bonus!

The gift that keeps on giving.

3DS Friend Code: