As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play: Xenonauts: Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator (image heavy)

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Oh nuuu, not Kadoken!

That giant widows peak might as well have been an arrow screaming, "Shoot me here!".

Kadoken on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    (See317 I've hired a soldier for you with 60 TUs, 46 hp, 48 STR, 42 ACC, 61 RFL, and 53 BRV)
    So, as a person who hasn't played the game I need to ask...
    How well does this stat line qualify me to be the smokebomb hurling shotgun-ninja I was hoping to be when I signed up?

see317 on
  • QuestionablySaneQuestionablySane Registered User regular
    Sign Up for a Sniper/Marksman role. Sniper Rifle, shotgun, and smoke grenades.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I'd like to !signup for the Air-Force

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    I'd like to !signup for the Air-Force

@Joolander
    https://youtu.be/fR2hajcuFEM

edited August 2015
    Joolander on
    PS we play vollyball every day at 1700 hours. See you there!

Naturally

Just as long as it's Skins vs Skins

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    (See317 I've hired a soldier for you with 60 TUs, 46 hp, 48 STR, 42 ACC, 61 RFL, and 53 BRV)
    How well does this stat line qualify me to be the smokebomb hurling shotgun-ninja I was hoping to be when I signed up?
    You can run fast and have above average reflexes.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    edited August 2015
    see317 wrote: »
    You can run fast and have above average reflexes.
    Awesome. Let the shotgunning commence.

Edit: Also, my vote for research goes to Armor. We need to be able to survive a hit well enough for our medkits to be any use.
    I am kind of surprised that there hasn't been much interest in researching space-guns. I mean, I know it's early days, but space guns.

see317 on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    We must share a drink for comrade Kadoken when we return to Olympus. Vechnaya Pamyat.

Komandir Armchair! It was my fault the Corporal is not returning alive. If I'd only been able to react more quickly to the damned xeno...

There must have been a mistake at armory. I was supposed to have a shotgun for better close quarters combat, but upon landing, I discovered only unwieldy light machine gun was available.

I will take responsibility and make sure all equipment is loaded correctly before a UFO recovery in the future.

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    Yay! I've been looking forward to this. Sign me up, General, and make me a beautiful corpse.

All the weapons look intriguing, but it's the shotgun that speaks to me most. "Chk-chk, boom," it whispers seductively. "Chk-chk, boom."

My heart wants the scout car. My brain says armor may be the wiser choice. We seem fairly limited for transport space at the moment; how much room will a scout car take up?

You're right, the muscle butter fumes must have gone to my head and I passed out too many LMGs. I'll correct that before the next drop.

The mistake was mine though. I should have had kadoken cover the door and clear the room next turn. That or solve the fog of war problem by flattening half the building with explosives.

It's been awhile since I've played. I'm still getting warmed up.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Check out all that top-of-the-line, state-of-the-art (for 1980) research equipment.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    You're right, the muscle butter fumes must have gone to my head and I passed out too many LMGs. I'll correct that before the next drop.

The mistake was mine though. I should have had kadoken cover the door and clear the room next turn. That or solve the fog of war problem by flattening half the building with explosives.

It's been awhile since I've played. I'm still getting warmed up.
    Like I said, I'm up for any position, so feel free to reconfigure my dude for whatever is needed (and that the stats are sufficient for).

Rhan9 on
    Fanda wrote: »
    Yay! I've been looking forward to this. Sign me up, General, and make me a beautiful corpse.

All the weapons look intriguing, but it's the shotgun that speaks to me most. "Chk-chk, boom," it whispers seductively. "Chk-chk, boom."

My heart wants the scout car. My brain says armor may be the wiser choice. We seem fairly limited for transport space at the moment; how much room will a scout car take up?
    Shotguns are good. I'm actually relieved that kristmas kthulhu is suppossed to have one. One of my preferred tactics is to pin aliens with lmg fire so shotgun soldiers can flank around safely for the kill.

The scout car will reduce the strike team to a six man one. However it is very useful. It is like the xcom rocket tank but faster and a bit more fragile. It has bailed a lot of my soldiers out of tight spaces by drifting around a corner and shooting a rocket at an alien that nobody else can get to.

Armor is nice too. There are different philosophies behind it. One is to stock up on the first tier of armor to improve survivability do your soldiers lice longer and get better stats. The other is to skip it and wait until the second tier if armor.

Truth be told though, we'll probably finish researching both alien alloys and Hunter scout car before the engineering department can pause from building more interceptors. I'll need another poll later to see what we want to build first

3DS Friend Code:
  • SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    The value of Armor depends on the tactics being used. Skipping the first tier of armor works best if the squad is mostly equipped with Rockets, LMGs, and Sniper Rifles with 1 or 2 shield equipped scouts. Then you just have the main body engage from long range(and out of sight) with the scouts giving vision. Armor isn't worth it if you play like that since most of the squad isn't in any real danger.

But the crew seems to have a fondness for CQC and that increases the risk severely. A alien pistol shot is potential fatal, and two alien pistol shots will currently kill any of the troops. An Alien Rifle shot is a likely one hit kill. The first tier of armor increases the number of shots needed to kill by 1 effectively; it'd take 3 pistol rounds to kill and 1 rifle round is unlikely to kill outright(the soldier is unlikely to be in any condition to fight however).

It may be worth producing 2-3 suits of armor for those most likely to initiate contact(and likely to get shot the most) and leave the rest unarmored, until better armors can be produced. Armor isn't really wasted either, since you can cycle the lesser armors onto other troops with less need until you can equip everyone in higher tier armors.

So who drives, commands and guns in the scout car?

I'm just saying that it fits three, and with a little training we could teach our brave soldiers to drive it. Then no one feels left out.

I'm not sure what the crew of the scout car is, but I'm pretty sure the next vehicle in line is remotely operated like a drone.

3DS Friend Code:
    Well, a quick Google search indicates its based off of:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret_armoured_car

Which itself had a crew of two.

Check out all that top-of-the-line, state-of-the-art (for 1980) research equipment.

The finest CRTs money can buy.

• StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'll !Signup for this. Team seems short on snipers right now, which I always found to be essential. So give me a precision rifle, and then if I have the weight after the rifle and spare ammo whatever other accessories you think would help. I pretty commonly gave my snipers medkits and extra explosives to pass forward when necessary.

StuffGuy on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I'll sign up as either a machine-gunner or a pilot, whichever role needs filling more.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    If needed, I can swap to a shield/pistol/medpack loadout.

Ok, I've just finished managing the troop list.

Our current soldiers are in the following roles.
    • Megamek: Rockets
    • Elvenshae: LMG
    • Mr Ray: LMG
    • Kristmas Kthulhu: Shotgun/assorted gear (I fixed your loadout. No more LMG)
    • TeeMan: LMG
    • Phoenix-D: Riot shield/assorted gear
    • Docken: Shotgun/assorted gear
    • Rhan9: Any (but configured with an LMG)
    • Takel: Riot shield/assorted gear

Soldiers that have been hired but have not yet arrived at base:
    • See317: Shotgun/assorted gear
    • SlyM: Marksman
    • Frozenzen: Shotgun/stunrod (we don't have stunrods yet)
    • Heffling: assault rifle/assorted gear
    • Questionably Sane: Sniper/shotgun (I'll see what I can do. Primary weapons tend to be significant investments in engineering manhours)
    • Fanda: Shotgun/assorted gear

The airforce consists of:
    • JusticeForPluto: F-17 Condor
    • Joolander: F-17 Condor
    • Kadoken: F-17 Condor (We'll hook his brain up to the cockpit...once fed-ex finishes shipping the plane to us)

The queue of people who don't have a soldier/plane assigned to them yet.
    • Stuffguy: Sniper
    • Farangu: Machinegunner/jet (probably gonna end up being a jet)

I think that's everyone.

r9m6favdptp4.jpg

ipawlj8cgvty.jpg

gxa8cavaq01x.jpg

1gb0bx5gciff.jpg

auepx78yu545.jpg

gsjp8p8wj1gy.jpg

j0b1cos3briv.jpg

orstovpzw6i0.jpg

y0t3qkujnrmo.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
    How can we play vollyball with a head in a jar?!

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    You can slap rockets on the armored cars, right? If you need drivers in the future, I'm not too particular about the delivery system as long as I'm blowing things up.

Is time a gift or punishment?
    edited August 2015
    I don't know. That's a problem for you flyboys to solve.

I'm busy trying to organize this war effort.

For the record, there were several reports of alien activity over south america last evening. UFO sightings and communications disruptions. They local government will probably be upset that we didn't do anything about it, but what do they expect? We're on the other side of the planet. If they had granted us access to their facilities and equipment, then this wouldn't have been a problem.

The boffins worked through the night and delivered their preliminary reports on the autopsies of the alien corpes and the wreckage of the downed craft.

u6kohfunqsta.jpg

3cgxrke38zc1.jpg

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure you just answered your own question there.

Elvenshae wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you just answered your own question there.

Just need to remove it from the jar and you should be good to go.
    Plus, we save money on expensive volley balls.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    !signup

give me your biggest explosive device and point me in the right direction.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    edited August 2015
    It's been a quiet week, but at approximately 0930 hours on September 7, we identified an unidentified contact on radar over the Mediterranean Sea. @JusticeforPluto and @Joolander were scrambled to intercept.

Approximately ten minutes later, a second contact was detected over the Baltic Sea. @Kadoken flew north alone to engage the target by himself.

JusticeForPluto and Joolander caught up to the target somewhere over Algeria. The target was a small scout of the same model that we've seen before. They split up and presented the hostile with two targets. The tactic is simple. The UFO pursues one target and the wingman blasts the x-ray off his back. The light scout maneuvered behind Joolander, and JusticeForPluto swept in for the kill.

https://youtu.be/wA1hQNHkJy4

Somewhere around 1100 hours and after a brief detour into the arctic circle, Kadoken caught up to his target near the Finnish / Russian border. With no wingmate to watch his back, he entered into a head-to-head fight. While the light scout is the more advanced vessel, it is not designed with combat in mind. In contrast, the Condor is one of our most potent war machines presently in service. It was no match for Kadoken's sidewinder missiles and auto-cannon fire.
    https://youtu.be/c33hGMVvU7A
    Sorry kadoken. You took more damage than you should have there....I had forgotten what the barrel roll buttons were, so you just sort of tanked the fire. I'm not intentionally getting you shot up.

We received reports from merchant ships of alien activity over the Atlantic near American shores, but that is presently beyond our reach.

There was no way that we could reach kadoken's kill before nightfall, so we destroyed what was left of the small scout with an airstrike.

@Kristmas Kthulhu , @Docken , @Rhan9 , @Teeman , @Elvenshae , @MegaMek , @Phoenix-D ,and @Takel were deployed to North Africa to secure the crash site of the light scout that JusticeForPluto and Joolander shot down.

The mission is complete, but I won't have time to type up the after action report until probably Monday evening.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    With my ACC, I can only presume this is a likely reenactment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJEbQwHGygA

steam_sig.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    !signup

While I can't shoot for shit, I have a brash, impulsive, semi-suicidal personality, so I figure give me a shotgun and a couple satchel charges for some door-breaching shenanigans.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Looks like I'm strong as hell and pretty accurate to boot, but also kind of a coward. Which I guess we kind of established after that last mission. It could be worse though; you don't have to start making panic checks until morale drops below 40 and mine is above that at least. And given that the minimum stat cap is 35, this means that a particularly cowardly rookie can panic at absolutely nothing at all.

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    !signup

Do you plan on assigning a dropship pilot? As you can see from my avatar, I have significant experience in piloting craft with poor aerodynamic qualities.

Alternately, hook me up to a fighter jet when you need more.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Beep bep

edited September 2015
    I'm trying to crop some footage to make gifs of people being shot at. It is more time consuming than I thought it would be.

edit:
    They're coming out all fuzzy and terrible.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    If you need, Armchair, I can also be the really snooty chief scientist.

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular

I'm not convinced this is really the 1970s. Where's all the avocado green in our base decor? The harvest gold? The wicker?
    c4xv9l7lctlb.jpg

Also, we appear to have Frank Pritchard from DX:HR running our science department, so that's all to the good.