As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

oooh! Idea!

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
What if a link were added to each post that said "Report this post to a mod" and then when you clicked it, it checked if there were anyone online in the appropriate mod group to pm, failing that, any mods, then admins, then deputies, and it'd auto-populate a PM containing the appropriate recipient and a link to the thread page in question. Then you'd just fill out what you think is worthy of attention (goatse, whatever) and the details of whoever you're ratting on, and then you could send it.

It'd make it easier than ever before to be a snitch.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2004
    That'd be heavily abused. Also, isn't that why Ramius did the deputy thing?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2004
    We used to have it on the old forums, but I don't know what happened to it. It's been mentioned a few times, but I think it's something that's put on the queue list and then forgotten about when Ramius gets totally trashed and makes a new forum.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    That'd be heavily abused. Also, isn't that why Ramius did the deputy thing?

Anyone who abuses it and pisses off a mod/admin/deputy depending on who's online gets jailed and BAMF! It's gone along with the Quote button.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    FerryFerry Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    God you people are fucking lazy. How hard is it to check what mods are on and copy paste a url?

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Well, the mods don't always have the 'show as available' (or whatever) option checked, so they won't necessarily show up in the online users thing.

Smasher on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    everyone seems to always forget about the icon_pm.gif when trouble's a brew'n

futility on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    futility wrote:
    everyone seems to always forget about the icon_pm.gif when trouble's a brew'n

This is the thing. People never bother to PM, they just bitch and moan. We just recently had a thread created HERE that proves this. This way, all they'd do is click the link, type up a quick summary, and click submit.

It'd be no different from a PM except that it'd be more convenient, and allow PM's to be routed to the best available person to handle it, and it could even be set so that mods not appearing as available would be PM'd as well.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    If they dont care enough to send off a fucking PM then they must not care about the problem that much either.

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Ferreous wrote:
    If they dont care enough to send off a fucking PM then they must not care about the problem that much either.

Is it impossible for you to stop to comprehend something after you've read it and before you reply to it? Because it seems that way.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64579

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    So wait, because someone does something retarded, the mods should implement a overly contrived and superflous feature?

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Ferreous wrote:
    So wait, because someone does something retarded, the mods should implement a overly contrived and superflous feature?

Look, we could tell by your nick that you're proud of your mad thesaurus skills. You don't need to keep on knocking our socks off with incredible displays of synonymity.

That aside, I like how you're really just here to piss on an idea and have nothing at all of substance to say other than "that's too much work" on behalf of someone else. If it's too much work, the admins can say "fuck off, that's too much work, by the way you've got a tight ass" without your help.

Ooh, and in case you didn't catch it: fuck off.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    I'm saying its unnecessary. The same thing can be accomplished without anyone having to tamper with code or make an easily abused feature. If you really care enough about a problem, then you can PM a mod. If one isnt on, then nothings going to happen till one is, and no code can predict which mods are going to be on next, so unless it mass sends to all mods, it will be no better than a PM

Edit: and if it did mass send to all mods, it would just serve to annoy all but one of them.

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Ferreous wrote:
    I'm saying its unnecessary. The same thing can be accomplished without anyone having to tamper with code or make an easily abused feature. If you really care enough about a problem, then you can PM a mod. If one isnt on, then nothings going to happen till one is, and no code can predict which mods are going to be on next, so unless it mass sends to all mods, it will be no better than a PM

Edit: and if it did mass send to all mods, it would just serve to annoy all but one of them.

So my theory regarding you, reading comprehension and posting was in fact correct. Wonderful.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    On every other forum I've seen that has something like that the mods get spammed becuase people click it for stuff that the mods would let be.

I get the occassional PM or IM when stuff needs attending to. I don't browse every thread. I have no intention of doing so. If something bothers you, PM a mod. It's realy not that hard.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Oh I comprehend your point, its just stupid.

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • Options
    Johnny SmashJohnny Smash Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2004
    I think we should have a button that sends a pm to a random person. these are the issues i care about

Johnny Smash on
    cFhq9lX.jpg
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    I think we should have a button that sends a pm to a random person. these are the issues i care about

Yes.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2004
    back at m2 no one abused the report post button. hell, it was rarely ever used. but when it was, it was actually helpful. i fully support bringing it back.

Whippy on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    back at m2 no one abused the report post button. hell, it was rarely ever used. but when it was, it was actually helpful. i fully support bringing it back.

And any abuse should lead to jailing. Or it being taken away from them. Or something like that.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Ferreous wrote:
    Oh I comprehend your point, its just stupid.

No, you clearly do not and obviously have no place calling anything stupid.

As I said,
    pheezer wrote:
    What if a link were added to each post that said "Report this post to a mod" and then when you clicked it, it checked if there were anyone online in the appropriate mod group to pm, failing that, any mods, then admins, then deputies, and it'd auto-populate a PM containing the appropriate recipient and a link to the thread page in question.

It was also brought up that...
    smasher wrote:
    Well, the mods don't always have the 'show as available' (or whatever) option checked, so they won't necessarily show up in the online users thing.

and this brings up an interesting benefit for such a system, ie:
    pheezer wrote:
    it could even be set so that mods not appearing as available would be PM'd as well.

to which you said
    The same thing can be accomplished without anyone having to tamper with code or make an easily abused feature. If you really care enough about a problem, then you can PM a mod. If one isnt on, then nothings going to happen till one is, and no code can predict which mods are going to be on next, so unless it mass sends to all mods, it will be no better than a PM

Which indicates you really don't understand what I was suggesting, which proves my theory that it's impossible for you to attempt to understand what I'm saying before you reply to it.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Ill take it into consideration...

Älphämönkëy on
This discussion has been closed.