As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gwent: Seattle Style [come play the Witcher's card game, Sunday@8; decks available!]

PidermansVestPidermansVest Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in PAX West
(Unofficial)
GWENT: SEATTLE STYLE
8PM SUNDAY @ THE WITCHER LOUNGER (WSCC lvl 2)

Hankerin’ to play gwent?
Come one, come all, to the first (super unofficial and fan-organized) Gwent Gathering!

Make new friends! Show your moves or learn to play! Teeny raffle! Play gwent with someone other than the one innkeeper you keep bothering!

fbg47o.jpg

WHAT IS GWENT?
“Gwent” is a ‘mini’ (debatable) game found in CDProject Red’s “The Witcher 3” (Xbox One, PS4, PC). It is essentially a card game meant to depict battle. It involves players building decks of cards--with varying strength/force allocations and occasional special effects and special cards and leader bonuses--to suit their particular playstyle. The goal of the game is to have the highest number of strength points by the end of the round, twice, utilizing whatever strategy you can. The thing I personally enjoy most about Gwent is that each player has access to the same cards and the same factions, and the winner is determined by how adaptable the player is and how well the player’s hand is managed from the beginning of the game, as no more cards are drawn unless under special circumstances, preventing brute force overpowering. More information can be found here: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Gwent
WHO CAN PLAY?
Anyone! I’m sure many of us are willing to show newbies the ropes. Gwent is surprisingly simple, yet strategic. This is for funsies, so don’t be shy to ask. If you don’t want to buy a deck (see below) because you’re not sure you’ll have fun, I am more than willing to lend you mine (and/or my girlfriend’s, just don’t tell her).
WHERE IS THIS HAPPENING?
Apparently the Rock Band or whatever lounge is now the Witcher Lounge and that is precisely where this would shine! If the set-up of the lounge is still the same. And if whoever is in charge of the lounge allows us to play there. But, unless stated otherwise, plan on the Witcher Lounge, WSCC level 2.
WHEN IS THIS HAPPENING?
Sunday at 8 PM. If there is a surge of interest, we’ll have more than one get-together.
But WHY???
Because I really want to play Gwent with someone other than the AI and I bet you do too!

gwent-deck-witcher-3.jpg

But Gwent cards don’t exist! How can I get a deck to play with?
Very true, and a downright shame that, I know many of us would be all over official gwent decks. There are several beautiful fanmade sets going around, and I encourage anyone that already has a set to bring it and play some rounds with it.
Options:
1) Print/bring your own deck
2) Buy a deck from me

For Option 2:
So, in an effort to get more people involved, I will be printing slightly edited copies of roar_lord’s HD gwent files (http://imgur.com/a/gV1y5) (thank you, roar_lord!) on heavy lb cardstock with UV lamination. All cards will have the neutral wolf’s medallion backing (to prevent neutral cards from sticking out like sore thumbs). This means that all cards are going to have this same backing regardless of faction, so unlike the Xbox Collector’s Edition gwent cards, the Northern Realms deck won’t be blue with their symbol, etc.
Dimensions will be APPROXIMATELY 3.5" tall by 2" wide, so they’re a bit thinner than a Magic card, please note that dimensions may change upon actual printing. I am be selling these AT COST. A local print center quoted me an estimate of about $10.50 per deck. As you can see, not a ginormous investment, but please note that anything I am off by will be donated to Child’s Play (and if each deck costs more than $10.50, I will cover the difference). Not trying to make a profit. I’m asking that interested players pledge this money in advance so I can take it directly to the printer. If you would like to view receipts, please feel free to let me know.
Each deck will come with all faction specific cards (units, leaders, heroes) and 2 of each of the following (clear weather, rain, frost, fog, commander’s horn, decoy, scorch) (there are 3 of each (besides rain) in-game). To keep costs down, by default: I’m not printing Neutral People cards or the couple ‘missing’ neutral weather/etc cards. IF YOU WANT THESE, they will be $4 extra. This way, if you buy multiple factions, you’re not saddled with, like, four sets of neutrals. If you want these 15 extra cards, just tack $4 on to the otherwise total, and make sure to mention that you want them.
Please send money to this Google Wallet account, which is devoted solely to this (kr.gwent@gmail.com) and be sure to tell me what deck(s) you want (and if someone other than the name associated with the payment will be picking them up). A PAX forum or reddit or whatever username would also be very helpful, if you want to share that (I’m trying to gather information regarding how many extra decks/what factions I should print for night of, and knowing who is commenting on threads while also actually pledging money towards a deck would be helpful, so I can determine general interest). I would like to use Google Wallet to avoid using PayPal and their fees—if you are not comfortable using this method, please PM me.
I will be printing off and cutting out decks before the convention and will have your deck(s) ready for pickup before 6 (if you want it/them earlier for the rest of PAX, just let me know, I will be there all four days and can certainly meet up with you early—dunno if I can leave signs/flyers around, so I’ll be walking around with a ridiculous wearable sign advertising the get-together. I won’t be super difficult to spot, haha).
There will be *some* decks available on Sunday, but not many (so when they’re gone, they’re gone). I’m going to mainly have extra Northern Realm decks since they seem to be the most popular. So please let me know what deck(s) you want printed, and tell your friends to tell me what deck(s) they want printed.
Here is the first sheet I've cut out. Slight changes will be made to following sheets (bit of miscommunication with the printer, these images lack the uv lamination and are a grade of cardstock too heavy, but this is roughly what they look like). I will be changing the white front margins to black and inverting the back side as well.
242smci.jpg
2ns6q2r.jpg

For Option 1:
If the above isn’t something you’re okay with, or if you just want to, then please feel free to print your own deck(s), that’s totally fine! If you print your own deck(s), then I advise you to do the same with the card backs--doesn't matter what it is, just as long as they're the same. Unless you want your opponent to know you have non-faction-specific cards?? (Why??)
Print whatever size and quality you want and here’s a link (http://imgur.com/a/gV1y5) to the file I’m using so you can print whatever you like. The dimensions I’m printing are above.

”HIGH STAKES" GWENT!!
Okay, “prizes” is a strong word. There will be a very small raffle the night of. By very small, I mean very. We’ve got a neat little wolf’s medallion keychain, a paperback copy of the first Witcher novel, and a copy of the Witcher comic trade paperback (purchased from my own pocket, not pulling funds out of deck pledges). These are very easy to find and purchase on Amazon, and whether or not you win a game has no bearing on whether you win an item, so please don’t cheat. If you buy a deck from me before PAX, I’ll put your name in the jar when you pick it up. If you buy one on the spot/bring your own, I’ll put your name in then. One entry per person, three winners. There will be a separate jar for donations to Child’s Play, and donations can also be made directly to CP via their site (donations towards the Cookie Brigade count as well!) so please consider donating, if you feel inclined! Whoever donates the most during the gathering will have a couple extra copies of their name in the jar! I’ll probably pull names out an hour or two later depending on vibes, but please feel free to stick around and keep playing.
3136hr6.jpg

RULES
--All rules of PAX apply, especially the bit about not being a jerk.
--If both sides agree that Neutral People Cards are allowed and both sides have them, then go for it. This is a for-fun tourney, so just don’t be a dick! But if there’s a disagreement or one player doesn’t have them, the default is to remove them from your deck.
--Rules in-game still stand: 22 minimum unit cards and 10 max special cards. Each faction has 4 specific heroes and all may be in the deck. As stated above, no neutral heroes unless agreed upon by both parties.
--All cards printed by myself will not come with Neutral People Cards (this cuts down on the cost of printing). Mentioning this yet again so that this is perfectly clear. This is a separate add-on.
--Duplicates are of course allowed and welcomed, but the number of cards must line up with the game default (check this list if you need clarification: http://gwentcards.com/) (meaning, for example, you may use no more than two Catapults or use more than one Thaler card.) If you buy a deck from me, then the duplicate amount will line up with the above list.
--Don’t worry about winning/losing: go forth and gwent (it’s a raffle so play as much as you want).

Current deck popularities, if you’re interested: Northern Realms has bolted away with the lead, Nilfgaard and Monsters are vying for second, and Scoia'tael is quite a ways back.

So! You up for some gwent?
(*sad merchant nod/grimace*)
2884b3c.jpg

Legality!(Also known as: “Please don’t sue me”!)
(Please note that me and this gathering and these fanmade decks aren’t associated with CDPR or Warner or the Witcher or even the lounge or who/whatever else you can think of. This is super unofficial. Just a few people who all share a love of a few rounds of cards. Gwent, specifically.)
(1st and last images capped from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoeKBYHm1dQ and raffle prize photos yoinked from amazon product pages and second image from: http://www.ibtimes.co.in/witcher-3-wild-hunt-tips-unlock-ciri-unique-gwent-card-guide-635367)

PidermansVest on

• Options
    Garet_JaxGaret_Jax SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm a huge Witcher fan and have played my fair share of Gwent (although not sure that makes me any good at it...), so you can count me in. I probably won't have the energy/time, so if you're selling decks, I'd happily buy one. As long as it isn't crazy expensive, which I doubt it will be.

Sadly there are some fantastic panels running at night on Fri/Sat, so if it started at ten or later on those nights, I'd come. That's late though. Sunday night might be the best to do it on to get the most people. Maybe an hour or two after the expo hall closes? That gives time to grab food and whatever else and then come play. Just an idea.

Anyways, you can message me if you want to chat about it. Thanks for trying to put this together! Sounds really fun.

xd2sz8k6iixc.png
  • Options
    draklandraklan Chocobo in time the Frosty North... mmm FrostingRegistered User regular
    i totally want a deck

• Options
    Thank you for reminding me about that, I completely forgot about the Acq Inc panel being that night. I'm with you on thinking Sunday evening/night would be better (unfortunately the Pin Trading get-together is around that time, but planning around stuff is difficult). Sunday at 8 maybe?

Thanks for the interest, Draklan and Garet! I'm really glad this is starting to gain some traction around various sites. I'll update the main post very soon with a more accurate quote per deck and various other bits.

• Options
    Drastically updated the OP, check it out (:

• Options
    Browncoat565Browncoat565 Registered User regular
    I am imcredibly intreagued when would you have to know abiut the deck printing in order to be able to still do it on time

• Options
    Wow um sorry for the fat thumbs typing

• Options
    I am imcredibly intreagued when would you have to know abiut the deck printing in order to be able to still do it on time

I would need to know during the Wednesday before Prime, so that I could take any last minute orders to the printer on Thursday. I'll be at PAX everyday, so unfortunately I can't print any more orders after Thursday. Thanks for the interest!

• Options
    Yeah of course who has time to print stuff when there is paxing to do!!! I also had one more question just to clarify.. if there is a card that has say three of them in the deck, like the blue stripes commando, you will have three in the deck you provide?

• Options
    Yeah of course who has time to print stuff when there is paxing to do!!! I also had one more question just to clarify.. if there is a card that has say three of them in the deck, like the blue stripes commando, you will have three in the deck you provide?

Yep! I'll be using that gwentcards site to determine the number of duplicates.

• Options
    Garet_JaxGaret_Jax SeattleRegistered User regular
    Wow thanks for the big update. So just to make sure, you want us to send the $15 to that email address listed in the second option? No way to meet up before Sunday and just buy it off of you?

Either way is fine, just wondering.

xd2sz8k6iixc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Garet_Jax wrote: »
    Wow thanks for the big update. So just to make sure, you want us to send the $15 to that email address listed in the second option? No way to meet up before Sunday and just buy it off of you?

Either way is fine, just wondering.

I'm local to the area, so if you wanted to meet before PAX (by the latest: Thursday morning) I can definitely do that too. Unfortunately, I've planned my schedule so that I'm probably going to spend all day at PAX on Friday and certainly will Saturday, so I'm really doubtful I'll be able to print more sets during. If you want to meet with me on Friday, I *might* (no guarantees) make it to the printer before they close at 8.
    If you don't want to use the email option, I will be bringing a few extra decks for Sunday (mostly NR and a little fewer Nilfgaards). I can give you my cell and you can text me if you want to buy one of those sets early during PAX, but that cuts into how many decks I'll have for walk-ins.

PidermansVest on
  • Options
    GhazgkullGhazgkull Registered User regular
    Are you willing to share the file(s) that you end up with for the printer? It's looking like I'm not gonna be able to make it up to PAX this year, but I'd love to print out a couple decks of Gwent cards to play with friends here in PDX.

• Options
    Ghazgkull wrote: »
    Are you willing to share the file(s) that you end up with for the printer? It's looking like I'm not gonna be able to make it up to PAX this year, but I'd love to print out a couple decks of Gwent cards to play with friends here in PDX.

I'm using reddit user roar_lord's HD gwent files, the link is in the first post above. I messaged this user for permission, you might want to do the same? These decks I'm printing are slightly edited in that I'm accounting for proper duplicates and am inverting the backside and margins (I think the white margins look kinda icky).

• Options
    Update!
    Okay, the UV lamination is now a no-go. The printer conveniently forgot to mention the egregious "set-up" cost associated with it in the email estimate I received. So, we're going to forgo that and that brings the cost of each faction deck down to about $10.50 (neutrals are now $4 flat). I'm in the process of sending emails to those that pledged money towards these decks offering to refund the difference or donate that difference to Child's Play.
    I sincerely apologize about this, I was really looking forward to the look the lamination provides.
    However! The decks are now a little cheaper and the thinner cardstock/ink doesn't seem to retain fingerprints quite as badly. And the black margins look much better and honestly I think the inverted backside is righteous.I'm also making leader card notecards since the leader cards don't have their effects listed on them (no space with the description).
    Here's an image of the Nilfgaard deck I've cut out (got a little excited to post, will edge round these decks in a bit) (you can see the approximate thickness of the deck too, but keep in mind that that contains all possible faction cards/specials/neutrals, so they'll be thinner and easier to shuffle once you get to choose your cards):
    2n84zet.jpg"

• Options
    Hey everyone!
    One last post/update from me about this (:
    I hope that everyone that picked up their decks early like them! I'm not a professional card maker, but so far it seems like they're liked. Hope you can make it to the 8PM meet on Sunday, but if not, feel free to post here for other times and days that work for you and maybe someone (or me) can meet up with you. I've got a couple extra Nilfgaards and NR decks if you've got friends that want a deck too.
    Have a good PAX!

• Options
    edge0127edge0127 Registered User new member
    This seems like fun! My friend and I plan on stopping by and checking it all out on Sunday!

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Huge shoutouts and thanks to PidermansVest for putting this together! The decks turned out great and the whole atmosphere was a blast. Super appreciate all the work you put in and all the peeps who came out to play!

• Options
    edge0127edge0127 Registered User new member
    Absolutely! It was awesome! Thank you for putting it all together. I know I had fun.