As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hardly Working in the [Job] Thread

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Closest annoying male equivalent would be the 'bro' voice. Unlike the female voice, it's hard for me to describe, but I inwardly cringe when I hear guys talking with that voice.

I also dislike smokers scratch voice, male or female. I'm talking two-packs-a-day-for-thirty-years, voice.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Nah, its probs me being a bit tetchy about it.

Maybe, but it's always really bugged me too, and I haven't been blond since I was, like, four. Part of it's because it's a stereotype almost exclusively applied to women (you occasionally hear about the male equivalent but even then the joke is usually layered with "haha we're comparing him to a female thing") and part of it is because, just like the "gingers have no soul" thing, it's really belittling to a large swath of people for something that's an inherent part of who they are.

I never understood the whole "gingers have no soul" thing. Is that just one of those things where South Park did something weird and funny and it just got seized on as this big cultural meme? That was the first place I remember hearing it. Same with the word ginger to describe a person.

Nah it's a much older and more widespread thing. The UK is particularly cruel to redheads.

They've forgotten what kept Rome from coming for an extended stay I guess. Or rather who.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Closest annoying male equivalent would be the 'bro' voice. Unlike the female voice, it's hard for me to describe, but I inwardly cringe when I hear guys talking with that voice.

I also dislike smokers scratch voice, male or female. I'm talking two-packs-a-day-for-thirty-years, voice.

Oh man, I think I know the voice you mean. It's sort of the modern equivalent of the classic "surfer dude/stoner" voice?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Maybe, but it's always really bugged me too, and I haven't been blond since I was, like, four. Part of it's because it's a stereotype almost exclusively applied to women (you occasionally hear about the male equivalent but even then the joke is usually layered with "haha we're comparing him to a female thing") and part of it is because, just like the "gingers have no soul" thing, it's really belittling to a large swath of people for something that's an inherent part of who they are.

I never understood the whole "gingers have no soul" thing. Is that just one of those things where South Park did something weird and funny and it just got seized on as this big cultural meme? That was the first place I remember hearing it. Same with the word ginger to describe a person.

Nah it's a much older and more widespread thing. The UK is particularly cruel to redheads.

A song about prejudice.

euj90n71sojo.png
    Yes, the worst parts of both!

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Which bro voice?

Is the one you here when you read "dude" or the one you hear when you see "haha then what? ;)"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I'm not trying to pick on you Tox, I swear. But I feel compelled to drop this article right here:

Policing Young Women's Voices

I get that it's difficult to control a gut reaction to something that annoys you, but it's something to think about.

Great interviews!

I know some very smart women who talk just like that.

Like... they just talk like this... and you know... with the sentence getting higher at the end.

While that voice might identify you with a certain cultural subgroup, Turns out that voice isn't actually some sort of direct link to intelligence.

We should all spend more time listening to what people actually say, and less about how they sound.

Unrelated: I am starving. Send food.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Tox wrote: »

Which bro voice?

Is the one you here when you read "dude" or the one you hear when you see "haha then what? ;)"

Mostly the former. Much like the 'valley girl voice' I think popular media has influenced my opinion of it. It's use as a shorthand to convey a intellectually inert guy with no real priorities in life, aside from getting high, getting drunk, getting laid.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Oh man, I think I know the voice you mean. It's sort of the modern equivalent of the classic "surfer dude/stoner" voice?

Bill S. Preston Esq. and Theodore Logan.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Okay.. this is going to drive me batty.

The old mainframe could only take certain fields in all capitals. So to translate those fields to be imported into AD/LDAP, a conversion process was written. It was an EXTREMELY clever conversion process, that could keep roman numerals correct (as they are used for rankings on civil service positions).

When the new HCM (Human Capital Management, HR) system came into being, a program was written to feed data from it to the mainframe. The new system was fully capable of mixed case job titles, as it was made in the 90s. To support the status quo, the program did an "UPPER(TITLE)" insert statement when preparing the output file for the mainframe.

Turns out certain data in that file was never actually loaded into the mainframe.. but the old program from 1998 to convert case was run against it before shipping the data off to AD/LDAP.

Well, I decide to go digging in the HCM for the real titles of people, and come up with a very solid query from what I can tell. Further, I compare this against my AD/LDAP data, and see that only 590 or so employees are out of whack since we had the mainframe stop updating AD/LDAP. That's pretty good!

So why is this going to drive me batty?

The old mainframe program couldn't handle properly applying case on certain words that weren't pre-approved, like "III" and "to." So we have a whole bunch of "It Support Associate" and "Assoc Vp Student Affairs" type situations because it would capitalize the first letter of a non-recognized word. By pulling from the HCM program directly, those will all be fixed, which warms my English major heart.

... The HCM program also does things like "Asst To Dir Int Athletics," capitalizing the word "to." This means that all the properly formatted titles are gonna get broken...

*sighs* My OCD just cannot win!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

The gingers have no soul thing always causes a bit of an eye twitch for me.

I seem to remember a vampire legend about the 7th son of the 7th son being red-haired (and green-eyed) will pretty much for sure end up turning into a vampire. Which as far as fictional soulless options go is at least kinda cool?
    Like they next time someone is all "Hey Ginger!" you can be like "Pfft, whatever daywalker" and turn into a bat or something and fly off.

• nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    A coworker spoke to a local journalistic blog for our neighborhood about how bad crime is at our grocery store, after he had to mace a guy who was threatening him with a champagne bottle.

To be fair, it can be scary enough there that I refuse to work nights. We have regular security guards who literally can't do anything but scare people. We used to have police but they were too expensive I guess? Last I heard it was $60 an hour for a cop to play security guard.

He was suspended for a few days for the macing incident but I saw him again recently at work. But now this article is here? I wonder if he'll be fired. We aren't supposed to carry any weapons on hand at work or even in our cars but it's just too dangerous not to. Does corporate expect us to snap and kill the customers? Because with the way they cut hours and shifts...

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

The old mainframe could only take certain fields in all capitals. So to translate those fields to be imported into AD/LDAP, a conversion process was written. It was an EXTREMELY clever conversion process, that could keep roman numerals correct (as they are used for rankings on civil service positions).

When the new HCM (Human Capital Management, HR) system came into being, a program was written to feed data from it to the mainframe. The new system was fully capable of mixed case job titles, as it was made in the 90s. To support the status quo, the program did an "UPPER(TITLE)" insert statement when preparing the output file for the mainframe.

Turns out certain data in that file was never actually loaded into the mainframe.. but the old program from 1998 to convert case was run against it before shipping the data off to AD/LDAP.

Well, I decide to go digging in the HCM for the real titles of people, and come up with a very solid query from what I can tell. Further, I compare this against my AD/LDAP data, and see that only 590 or so employees are out of whack since we had the mainframe stop updating AD/LDAP. That's pretty good!

The old mainframe program couldn't handle properly applying case on certain words that weren't pre-approved, like "III" and "to." So we have a whole bunch of "It Support Associate" and "Assoc Vp Student Affairs" type situations because it would capitalize the first letter of a non-recognized word. By pulling from the HCM program directly, those will all be fixed, which warms my English major heart.

... The HCM program also does things like "Asst To Dir Int Athletics," capitalizing the word "to." This means that all the properly formatted titles are gonna get broken...

I enjoyed reading this, and completely feel your pain. It's like, "I think I could right a function that would filter through all that. It'd....probably not be worth the cost, but ugh I'd really want to do it anyway!"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Da fuq? They weren't using double data entry???

One person enters the data, another verifies ... so, yes. Which makes it double-worse because it means that someone else didn't catch my mistake and help me correct it on the day/week.

All in all, I have only one thing to say:

DON'T FLY WITH UNITED AIRLINES BECAUSE CUTTING CORNERS IS SOMEHOW MORE PROFITABLE THAN FIXING PROBLEMS.

:confused: Was the other person just looking at your data entry? Cuz that's not how you're supposed to do double data entry (or data entry, period).

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

I enjoyed reading this, and completely feel your pain. It's like, "I think I could right a function that would filter through all that. It'd....probably not be worth the cost, but ugh I'd really want to do it anyway!"

Yeah.. my current fun is that we're having all sorts of capacity planning and improperly configured database issues, and we are barely treading water while the university hates on us (more) and yet there isn't people/resources to put in place proper system monitoring...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Da fuq? They weren't using double data entry???

One person enters the data, another verifies ... so, yes. Which makes it double-worse because it means that someone else didn't catch my mistake and help me correct it on the day/week.

All in all, I have only one thing to say:

DON'T FLY WITH UNITED AIRLINES BECAUSE CUTTING CORNERS IS SOMEHOW MORE PROFITABLE THAN FIXING PROBLEMS.

:confused: Was the other person just looking at your data entry? Cuz that's not how you're supposed to do double data entry (or data entry, period).

No, we're supposed to correct our peers.

Guess how well that works out?

• worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    The shitshow that calls himself the owner of this company just caused two more employees to quit. This is after he caused two others to quit back in May. It is started to look like a ghost town in this place.

The industrious and responsible part of me wants to step up and really work at making the office run correctly with the resources I do have at my disposal.

The cynical and self-preserving part of me knows that I will not be given the tools or authority to make any meaningfull progress or procedural changes. Nothing I do will be recognized or rewarded so I should really just do the bare minimum and keep my head down and probably take a look at the resume I haven't touched in the last few years.

My supervisor is fighting like hell to keep me here by paying me well but I don't know if the money is enough to sacrifice my sanity.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My current temp job is pretty nice, actually. Been here about... six weeks? Getting regular amounts of kudos for my work, and so on.

I'm not sure but I may ask the temp agency if they can match me with any more... legal-heavy jobs, though? I mean, it's what I have my degree in, and although I like my job, it's not exactly providing me with lots of legal experience. At the same time I'm getting valuable office experience, though, and if I got hired here I certainly wouldn't complain.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I don't know if the money is enough to sacrifice my sanity.

If they're not paying you enough to take baths in Cristal, then no, it's not worth your sanity.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm currently in that annoying stage of tiredness where I got too little sleep to feel rested and too much sleep to be in the "Oh god I got too little sleep I'm wide awake" stage.

I wonder whose heads are going to roll at work. Our main blackboard/remote teaching tool has been absolutely shitting the bed for nearly a week now, despite the herculean efforts of other sysadmins on my team to keep things going. The system's had hardware failures, and it is built on a whole bunch of free/cheap solutions. We were actually in the middle of working with a new support vendor.

For all the problems we've had rolling our our new systems, having this legacy system break is probably the most noticeable. There's no way the board and the VPs and the Pres can ignore it.. But we're already terribly understaffed and under-paid, and we can't attract real talent because of our reputation.

• Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    My six day stretch of running the front office all by my lonesome is all over. It was hard, and stressful, but the freedom was also kind of nice. Happy it's done though. Dealing with the phones, patients, paperwork and everything in between by myself isn't something I'd want to do all day every day, but again, not too bad! I've had worse weeks, even with coworkers and lighter work loads.

The worst part was actually the bus ride home because of... Speaker Phone Lady. Curse you speaker phone lady. You are the worst.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    This week was the week that me and my team were supposed to begin development on the Q4 December release, the last release of the year.

Instead this morning I come in to an urgent flagged email from my manager - 3 of my team are being parachuted into the foundering project Big McLargehuge, while the fourth is being put on helping fixing the bugs introduced by the previous project, BudgetExhausted McMergeMigration.

I forget, is being transferred to save the over-budget behind-schedule project the sixth circle of developer hell, or the seventh?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Nah. You're more like Dante. Getting an up close view of hell, but you still know you're just visiting.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

It's strongly rooted in prejudice against migrant Irish agricultural workers in the 18th and 19th century irrc.
    They've forgotten what kept Rome from coming for an extended stay I guess. Or rather who.

The celts in Britain would have been darker-haired than the average modern UKer due to being around before the waves of Germanic, Scandinavian, and Irish immigration - see the stereotypical Welshman with dark hair.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    you know you're in the bay area when the staff yells across the ER "hey her blood pressure is hella low!"

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I know about the entire ginger thing now, but that's something I never heard growing up. Possibly because I live in an area where redheads are rather rare.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I was sitting in the lobby of a hotel in London with some of my friends (two red-heads total, me and one other), and this super-drunk Irish (maybe, hard to tell her accent) lady just rolls in and yells "LOOK AT THE GINGAHS". No idea why, but it was pretty funny.

• AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    Off Data Entry for the day ( I think). Now back to hardly working for a barely livable wage!

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Me: Did you finish helping [Irate Client]? I can't find their form.
    Student: No.
    Me: Where is their form?
    Student: In the folder [that literally has 'DONE PILE' written on it]. I didn't know where else to put it.

Placement students aaaaaaaaargh

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Student: In the folder [that literally has 'DONE PILE' written on it]. I didn't know where else to put it.

Does your place of employment frown on Nerf weapons?

edited September 2015
    Hum-de-dum, driving in to work on the 15 MPH perimeter road, time to apply the brakes. Gently, gently, gen--GRNRNDNNDRNDRNDNRND.

Well that's not a good sound to hear. Probably can't get the car into the shop until Thursday at the earliest.
    Dis' wrote: »

The celts in Britain would have been darker-haired than the average modern UKer due to being around before the waves of Germanic, Scandinavian, and Irish immigration - see the stereotypical Welshman with dark hair.

Dang, I had the mental image of a bunch of naked red-haired warriors just absolutely dominating Roman soldiers before.

Madican on
    Yukira wrote: »

Hmm... no! I should really look into that.

Alternatively: a button that plays the error sound from the Price is Right when pressed.

signature.png
  • CosCos Registered User regular
    Waiting for this place to send me the formal offer is really testing my patience. I'm excited to get started in the job, find my own place, etc, etc, etc, but I can't do anything until I know if the money's good. I think it will be, but they're having a hard time pinning the CEO down to sign off on the offer, so the waiting game continues. At least I know the offer is coming, but I've got an interview tomorrow that I'd prefer to be able to cancel today if we can get this all wrapped up.

I guess this is all part of working for larger organizations/companies? My first job had 2 employees, my most recent had 25, and this one has 50+ with a lot of growth happening.

edited September 2015

Hmm... no! I should really look into that.

Alternatively: a button that plays the error sound from the Price is Right when pressed.

Consider aiming for the chest and never the forehead.

Just a friendly experienced suggestion.

Yukira on
    Nerf doesn't just mean guns nowadays. Pick up a Nerf sword and bonk the offender on the head. Additional fun if you wait until they're distracted and shout, "An opening!" before doing so.

Yeah, but the guns let you pop them from a distance.

Yeah, but the guns let you pop them from a distance.

Nerf spear.

I would love a Nerf javelin!

signature.png
    Ahh, nothing like seeing a case assistant position with a requirement of a bachelor's degree and paying $35k a year.

Like craap. If they're expecting people with Bachelor's to work for that low amount (for the bay area, anyway) I'm not even sure what I should be expecting.

This discussion has been closed.