As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony: don't play old games anymore buy new ones.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you go to www.zgeek (this place is not safe for work at times and I'm at work so I'm not going there) .com there was a link on their main page a couple of days ago about it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    But googling works great too.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6180611.html?sid=6180611
    SCE Aust managing director Michael Ephraim says that once current retail stock is depleted, no more 60GB PS3 consoles will be made available in Australia, and the 40GB PS3--which has the same specifications as the 60GB model aside from a smaller hard drive, no backwards compatibility with PS2 games, no multimemory card port, and only two USB ports--will be the only retail unit for gamers moving forward.

Edit: beat'd

Blake T on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    They're really completely killing BC in Australia? I know that Sony has been acting completely insanely lately, but I won't believe that without a link. There's just no way.

here you go

I said Europe, but I meant PAL region.
    I keep forgetting Australia is a part of the PAL set.

Henroid on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I had completely forgotten that Europe et al never got the 80 gig systems. Wow.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Now do you see my point?

Blake T on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No where better to post this, but I ordered a 20gig PS3 this morning, and checked the order this evening, and it's status is Backordered.

Cry.

EDIT: Oh, and the product page still says "Usually ships in 24 hours."

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    The only explanation for MGS4 taking up a whole bluray disc that I can think of is uncompressed audio and uncompressed textures. Not one or the other, but both. But it really doesn't matter anyways. It'll be a solid game.

Anyway, can someone please explain to me how expecting a AAA title to have a large budget is unreasonable?

Which still doesn't make sense since, as far as I know, the textures are going to be compressed the moment they are rendered.

Sheep on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I honestly have a feeling that Sony will release another SKU sometime next year (probably like the US 80G) in PAL regions. Just because Sony says they arn't going to come out with another SKU doesn't mean they won't. How many times did they say rumble as last gen, yet now they coming out with a rumble controller "due to demand".

Its not that I have 'faith' in Sony, its more like, I don't really belive what they say at this point. We are about to be in Nov, its Holiday Season time, its buying time. I don't think it would be smart for Sony to come out at this point in time and say "hey heres another sku". Like I said in the past, they have inventory they are trying to sell off. If they were to introduce a new SKU at this point in time, they either have to introduce its price point higher than whats out now (which I'm sure they are trying to get away from being the most expensive console) OR drop the prices on what they have now to bring in a new sku at current prices. That means taking more of a hit on consoles they are already losing money on.

I can see Sony now "Due to high demand, we are now releasing a 120G with software BC in PAL regions" sometime next year. As many have pointed out, Sony has already released how many SKUs? Seems like they have always been about 'options' (high model vs low model). They still have 60G on shelves along side their new 40G. I'm not saying Sony IS using a scare tatic on purpose, but some sales might be drived by the 'idea' of no more BC in the future, so lets go snatch up the 60G's (in PAL) before their all gone.

IF they don't release another sku with BC, then oh well I'm wrong, but if they do have another SKU in the works for the PAL region, I don't see how introducing it now would do any good... at least for them. You see 60G's in PAL region already do BC through software emu. So if they released lets say an 80G doing BC though software emu... would they bring the price point higher than the 60G or lower the 60G and loose more money on that unit than they already are now.

Just from a companys standpoint (not just Sony), I would want to sell off most of my inventory before introducing anything new.

Food for thought.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    No where better to post this, but I ordered a 20gig PS3 this morning, and checked the order this evening, and it's status is Backordered.

Cry.

Yeah I'm in there with you. I put my order in yesterday and noticed the same thing when I got home from work this afternoon. Ugh

Vray on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Vray wrote: »
    Woodroez wrote: »

Cry.

Yeah I'm in there with you. I put my order in yesterday and noticed the same thing when I got home from work this afternoon. Ugh

That really sucks. I would be on the phone with someone claiming 'false advertising'. :) Demand a discount or some kinda credit/rebate.... ;-)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I honestly have a feeling that Sony will release another SKU sometime next year (probably like the US 80G) in PAL regions. Just because Sony says they arn't going to come out with another SKU doesn't mean they won't. How many times did they say rumble as last gen, yet now they coming out with a rumble controller "due to demand".

Its not that I have 'faith' in Sony, its more like, I don't really belive what they say at this point. We are about to be in Nov, its Holiday Season time, its buying time. I don't think it would be smart for Sony to come out at this point in time and say "hey heres another sku". Like I said in the past, they have inventory they are trying to sell off. If they were to introduce a new SKU at this point in time, they either have to introduce its price point higher than whats out now (which I'm sure they are trying to get away from being the most expensive console) OR drop the prices on what they have now to bring in a new sku at current prices. That means taking more of a hit on consoles they are already losing money on.

I can see Sony now "Due to high demand, we are now releasing a 120G with software BC in PAL regions" sometime next year. As many have pointed out, Sony has already released how many SKUs? Seems like they have always been about 'options' (high model vs low model). They still have 60G on shelves along side their new 40G. I'm not saying Sony IS using a scare tatic on purpose, but some sales might be drived by the 'idea' of no more BC in the future, so lets go snatch up the 60G's (in PAL) before their all gone.

IF they don't release another sku with BC, then oh well I'm wrong, but if they do have another SKU in the works for the PAL region, I don't see how introducing it now would do any good... at least for them. You see 60G's in PAL region already do BC through software emu. So if they released lets say an 80G doing BC though software emu... would they bring the price point higher than the 60G or lower the 60G and loose more money on that unit than they already are now.

Just from a companys standpoint (not just Sony), I would want to sell off most of my inventory before introducing anything new.

Food for thought.
    This relies on Sony doing something halfway intelligent and thought out.

Why should we expect them to start doing anything like that now?

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Food for thought.
    This relies on Sony doing something halfway intelligent and thought out.

Why should we expect them to start doing anything like that now?

Your guess is as good as mine.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    EDIT2: I doubt it's FMV. None of the Metal gear games had any - all the cinematics were real time.

Actually, all 3 MGS games had FMV.
    MGS - when Liquid is explaining the research of the genome soldiers and how snake and he were created

MGS2 - various parts where solidus is talking to raiden near the end

MGS3 - various scenes where volgin is explaining research

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Not sure why you spoilered this, but just in case:
    Huh? Those were real-time iirc unless you mean the sections where it briefly showed illustrations of jack when he was younger and stuff like that. I mean, you consider that FMV? Technically I guess it is but w/e.

sonictk on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    They're really completely killing BC in Australia? I know that Sony has been acting completely insanely lately, but I won't believe that without a link. There's just no way.

here you go

I brought this up earlier, and certain people argued sony has gone back on their claims before, so why not this one. Which is a retarded argument, of course.

BC is all but gone. Unless sony see a any proof that it's return would boost sales, it won't be back.

oh wait, bakerisbored did, just a few posts down.

Yes, sony will have more SKUs, but BC won't be part of them. Saying rumble was not coming back was different - they were in court still, and until they'd settled with Immersion they were hardly going to commit to further rumble - and they couldn't come out and say as such. Cutting BC, however, is a cost-cutting measure. Completely different reason.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    sonictk wrote: »
    Not sure why you spoilered this, but just in case:
    Huh? Those were real-time iirc unless you mean the sections where it briefly showed illustrations of jack when he was younger and stuff like that. I mean, you consider that FMV? Technically I guess it is but w/e.

spoiler, look at the 3:15 mark

I was wrong, it was after the part when solidus was talking. But my point still stands, all 3 MGS games had FMV.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Why is that FMV? Real life video doesn't count.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yes, it does.
    Full motion video, usually abbreviated as FMV, is pre-recorded TV-quality movie or animation in a video game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

...real life video IS fmv. Full Motion Video.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When I was talking FMV, I was talking about large portions of in-game plot being pre-rendered because the in-game engine isn't up to snuff. I think in-game has become much more dominant over the years on average.

august on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    plufim wrote: »

here you go

I brought this up earlier, and certain people argued sony has gone back on their claims before, so why not this one. Which is a retarded argument, of course.

BC is all but gone. Unless sony see a any proof that it's return would boost sales, it won't be back.

Yes, sony will have more SKUs, but BC won't be part of them. Saying rumble was not coming back was different - they were in court still, and until they'd settled with Immersion they were hardly going to commit to further rumble - and they couldn't come out and say as such. Cutting BC, however, is a cost-cutting measure. Completely different reason.

Now, I'm not saying that it WILL be back, but the fact is, cutting software based BC doesn't really cut costs in any significant manner. There is essentially one fixed cost there, meaning that it is one price, regardless of how many PS3 are manufactured and/or sold. If they were looking to cut costs, they would have cut a variable cost; something that would save them money on every individual unit.

BC may never come back, or, it may come back when they see that PS3 software sales don't improve because fo this, and folks start complaining that the 360 has BC, so why doesn't the PS3?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    august wrote: »
    When I was talking FMV, I was talking about large portions of in-game plot being pre-rendered because the in-game engine isn't up to snuff. I think in-game has become much more dominant over the years on average.

yes, but you were still wrong. You said they didn't have any FMV, and all 3 games had it. MGS in particular had a long FMV sequence, which told pretty much all the backstory near the end.

On the PSX, the FMV would have been a large portion of the disc space. on MGS2 and 3, not as much, but still a considerable amount. If MGS4 has even the same amount of FMV as MGS2, but in HD, then that little clip could constitute a fair size of the bluray space.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

yes, but you were still wrong. You said they didn't have any FMV, and all 3 games had it. MGS in particular had a long FMV sequence, which told pretty much all the backstory near the end.

You're confused. I didn't say shit about Metal Gear.

august on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

You're confused. I didn't say shit about Metal Gear.

oh, that was neva_c. I thought I had quoted you a sec ago.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

...real life video IS fmv. Full Motion Video.

Alright, owned by a definition, but MGS does not contain video meant to fake in-game stuff like FF. All that good stuff is in-game.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MGS - when Liquid is explaining the research of the genome soldiers and how snake and he were created

Well, the MGS1 example is bad because they took footage from real facilities - you don't real time that. And I don't remember MGS2 well enough (Since I thought the ending was retarded and never played it again), but I seriously don't remember that. Like, as in, I would've noticed because it's part of the MGS thing to real-time it all.

I've also never played MGS3 - I guess I was making assumptions. :P

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Well, the MGS1 example is bad because they took footage from real facilities - you don't real time that. And I don't remember MGS2 well enough (Since I thought the ending was retarded and never played it again), but I seriously don't remember that. Like, as in, I would've noticed because it's part of the MGS thing to real-time it all.

He's counting real life video scenes of NYC which i don't think counts in this context. I thought the discussion referred to the obviously pre-rendered stuff like in the FF series, I wouldn't consider film scenes pre-rendered CGI. Which was what I was classing FMV as.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

He's counting real life video scenes of NYC which i don't think counts in this context. I thought the discussion referred to the obviously pre-rendered stuff like in the FF series, I wouldn't consider film scenes pre-rendered CGI. Which was what I was classing FMV as.

Except that everyone else would. Sounds like you flat out don't know what FMV is. FMV is any video which is not real time.

And it counts, no matter how off your definition of FMV is.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Well, FMV is the 'video game' catchall for streaming video. So it doesn't matter if it's rendered or filmed. However, I was referring to non-interactive character animation specifically, but I wasn't being clear. Did any of the MGS games have pre-rendered cinematics? As in, non-interactive character animation that was not rendered in real time?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Except that everyone else would. Sounds like you flat out don't know what FMV is. FMV is any video which is not real time.

And it counts, no matter how off your definition of FMV is.

Thats fair enough, I jumped into this arguement late and thought people were saying that MGS used FMV to compensate for stuff that can't be done in-engine and it doesnt. That shit is for 'art' or whatever but it isn't there to compensate for the engines inability to construct scenes, which every MGS game does.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

here you go

Yea, but they ALSO 'said' at one point in time that BC was important to them. Just because something is taken out dosen't mean that it can't be added back. Its not 'gone for good', the tech and knowledge is still there (not physically in 40G PS3's, but behind Sony doors) and if at any point in time Sony decides well you know cutting BC wasn't a good idea, they can bring it back as another poster has said.

As to your "BC is all but gone". When did they ever say they were removing BC completely from 80G USA PS3... or the JPN version? Its not all but gone, but only SOMEWHAT gone on 1 SKU (WHICH THE 40G STILL PLAYS PS1 GAMES... THAT IS A FORM OF BC)

Anyways, we can throw around 'what ifs' all day. Thing is, currently there are still SKUS in stock that support BC. Untill the day you go out to the store and theres absolutly no PS3's with BC in stock ... theres really no need to tear up.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Saying rumble was not coming back was different - they were in court still, and until they'd settled with Immersion they were hardly going to commit to further rumble - and they couldn't come out and say as such. Cutting BC, however, is a cost-cutting measure. Completely different reason.

Uhm.... except
    Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157501

And
    Tretton told the paper that taking support for PS2 games out of the new system isn't dramatically cutting manufacturing costs. However, by omitting the option of playing PS2 games, Sony hopes that new customers will instead spend their money on more PS3 games.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6181373...ewstop;title;3

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, seeing this as anything but Sony pushing the new library based on their own view of how consumers see this console is giving them way too much credit. Somehow they still think that everyone wants their console since it's so freakin' advanced. After a year why they still have this delusion is beyond me. Consoles are about the library and they just pulled one of the most comprehensive libraries in console history from the PS3. So now the PS3 has a bunch of mediocre games and Sony is now banking on the fact that the people that buy the PS3 are gonna say "Well, the games aren't that great, but I just spend $texas on this thing so I better make use of it."

I wonder how much pressure the third party studios put on Sony to pull BC to boost sales of the new games.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    MrHaZMrHaZ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hate to be the bore here... but does anyone actually play PS2 games on PS3? Aside from hardcore gamers who, chances are, have a PS2?

That said, no doubting that the situation is grim for Sony. How many times can they change their stance 100%?

MrHaZ on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    BakerisBored: the 40GB machine is the only one now in maufacture for release in europe, and currently, when asked, sony has said future models will do the same. Could Europe be the only region that will eventually see no new models with BC? ...well, raping europe is a staple of the industry.

As for the saving, the current form of software BC used the remaining chip that was on the 60GB PS3 that was removed from the 40GB one, the cost of which has been estimated at around ~$30. Any new software would have to be rewritten using cell only. But then Tretton's statement about "buy new games, dammit" is just... weird.

God I don't know. It's fucking sony, and in the current climate, knowing exactly what they're going to do is a bit difficult. I think I'm just too predisposed to "lol sony" though, so I'm going to step out of this thread for a bit.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MrHaZ wrote: »
    I hate to be the bore here... but does anyone actually play PS2 games on PS3? Aside from hardcore gamers who, chances are, have a PS2?

That said, no doubting that the situation is grim for Sony. How many times can they change their stance 100%?

Can't speak for PS3 owners, but I missed out on the last generation. I picked up a Wii on launch day and currently more than half my games at this point are Gamecube titles.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I get people who come in to my store looking at upgrading from their old PS2, who like how the 360 looks, and the library it has, but are leaning more towards the PS3, because the 360 can't play all their old games.

I don't know what percentage they make up, but they do exist.

Evander on
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

My plan was to grab a PS3 and a whiole library of PS2 classics early next year (GTA series, Bully, God Of War, Colossus, etc).

I guess not now. Or something. OLOL Sony?

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know at least four people who will simply not buy a PS3 now (me included)...so Sony just shot themselves in the foot with that tactic. Sony's arrogance is going to be their downfall. The 360 is already crushing it, and the holiday season is going to be a major disaster for Sony at this rate. Only the most die hard of Sony fanbois can actually still think Sony is doing anything remotely right this time around.

I give it six months before Sony has to do a total 180 on this. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see a SKU in the future that has the hardware emotion engine back in it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My problem with a BC-less PS3 is that I have nowhere to hook it up in my entertainment center (both AV and powercord). Before, it would have replaced the PS2, but since I still play PS2 games on a daily basis, that spot isn't being given up anytime soon.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg