As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I would like to !signup.

As a medic with a rifleman load out

(Please don't make me breach entrances)

Medic? You mean a new rookie still in shrinkwrap?

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Floater base the most ideal type given our equipment restrictions?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    While all eyes were fixed on the teeming skies above southern Africa, the clock quietly struck midnight, and May 1999 passed into history.

The Council of Funding nations called to deliver their assessment.

wv7lGYu.png

Aliens Neutralized by X-Com Ground Forces: 24

Most Sectoid Kills: Molybdenum, 4

Most Floater Kills: Molybdenum, 4

Suddenly in Fifth Place on the Overall Kill Leaderboard: Molybdenum

Most Improved Soldier: Molybdenum

Burned in the Money Fire: Molybdenum $8,000,000

inkwiCr.png

A third of our budget for June is going into a new workshop and hangar at Haus von Trapp, which will let us begin construction on the Avenger transport next month. I'm also spending $600k on new scientists to get Dr. Vahlen off my back - a bargain at any price.

That leaves over a million dollars to replace battlefield losses over the next two months. It's the closest we've ever come to financial security.

We have a lot of balls in the air right now:
    • The crash sites of a Medium and a Large Scout await us in the jungles of southern Africa.
    • Skyranger-2 is descending on Madagascar to assault a landed Supply Ship. This is our next mission. It will tell us what race of aliens we'll be facing at the crashed scouts, as well as inside ...
    • ... the alien base. That tentacle-pink blemish on the Congo represents our first chance at capturing an alien Commander, which we need to win the game.

v82DSAR.png

In a brilliant stroke of foresight and strategic planning luck, the alien containment facilities at Mount Rushmore and Neo-ChongQing finished construction an hour before Skyranger-2 will touch down. If the strike team can capture a Leader, we'll be able to keep it alive until the interrogation.

At Haus von Trapp, we've just finished building a second Large Radar system. It's extra insurance against retaliation Scouts at a time when we're most vulnerable: millions in personnel and material will be tied up in the Avenger construction project. We can't afford to lose Haus von Trapp while the Avenger lies unfinished in its hangar.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    My goodness, is there actually a possibility that you'll be able to bum rush Cydonia before you get overwhelmed? Or are the Mutons going to flatten everyone/the budget before then?

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Lets be realistic here. You aren't getting Dr. Vahlen off your back no matter how much money, scientists and laboratories you give her.

All you do is feed her hunger.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    And you're about to give her interrogation subjects. That's a slippery slope if there ever was one.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Watch out when walking around the base alone guys.

Or at least if you plan to, give your stuff to see317 for safekeeping to save him time and effort.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    What can I say? I'm eager to get this xeno scum dealt with so we can all go home and watch that new star wars movie. Although maybe a sci-fi adventure isn't what the Squat Squad needs right now... I may have to speak to the recreational duty officer. Those weird sunglasses and black trench coats everybody's been sporting since the last Movie Night with the hacker kung fu guys aren't exactly helping our reputation as Black Helicopter Men.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Welcome to our new recruits, as well. Soon you will be as tadpoles finding their legs, heaving yourselves out of the muscle butter baths and onto the beaches, croaking the songs of war.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Or at least if you plan to, give your stuff to see317 for safekeeping to save him time and effort.

Don't worry. Doctor Vahlen promised me she won't dissect humans.

Said something about "seen one rookie screaming on the table, seen 'em all"?

That woman has a wonderful sense of humor.

The good doctor's interrogation techniques are effective and thorough even if they may not be particularly quick. You won't believe how much information she can extract. Oh wait, we were talking about dissection? Funny, she didn't make that distinction. I'm sure it was just a slip of the mind.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    So these are the new alien containment facilities... Creepy.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
    The hanging meat hooks have a purpose. Honest!

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    The hanging meat hooks have a purpose. Honest!

Where else are we going to hang hunks of alien meat?
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Don't worry. Doctor Vahlen promised me she won't dissect humans.

Said something about "seen one rookie screaming on the table, seen 'em all"?

That woman has a wonderful sense of humor.
    Takel wrote: »
    The good doctor's interrogation techniques are effective and thorough even if they may not be particularly quick. You won't believe how much information she can extract. Oh wait, we were talking about dissection? Funny, she didn't make that distinction. I'm sure it was just a slip of the mind.

Now that you mention it, it does seem odd that I woke up in a surgical robe after my interview with her.

And that I have no memories of said interview.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    edited September 2015
    OzRcomr.png

X-Com Order of Battle:
    Confirmation Bias
    YerMum and Mr Ray
    Elderlycrawfish and HyphyKezzy
    Mvrck and Farangu
    Sir Fabulous and @Antinumeric
    an_alt and fedaykin666

The ramp drops, and YerMum flings a flare out over the top.

OjAVZSZ.png

It illuminates a clearing surrounded by ferns and sway-backed palms. Tossed by the gusts of the Skyranger's VTOL engines, their leaves cast looming pre-historic shadows.

Mr Ray is first to step out behind our rocket tank.

ffF9qHp.png

sLC4kkv.png Hold. There's something moving back there.

NpdQsan.png What is it, Mr Ray?

sLC4kkv.png Can't make it out. It's like ... part of the jungle came alive.

NpdQsan.png Then we'll just have to burn it down.

EH16xqM.png

Elderlycrawfish wastes no time torching the southern flank. The ensuing blaze gives us our first clear look at the enemy.

YsBAeVp.png

lfPieKu.png

Snoopy's balls.

Meet the Muton
    KghClCo.png

You may recall the difficulties we've had killing Snakemen in a timely fashion, due chiefly to the strength of their armor. Muton armor is better, and they have three times as much health as a Snakeman.

They're also virtually immune to armor piercing ammunition. Killing a Muton requires explosives, and lots of them; even a HI-X charge is usually not enough.

E7snkeJ.png

There's one other thing about Mutons that renders them unique among the alien races: they have no independent leadership caste.

No Leaders. No Commanders. This ship contains not a single alien worth stunning.

There's nothing for us here but death.

B81XFMT.gif

While the southern Muton can't be targeted due to the intervening foliage, HyphyKezzy is able to land a proxy on the eastern one to soften it up.

cNsYLdK.gif

In the wake of the blast, a howl shakes the jungle. There's nothing in it of pain or fear, only rage.

g4j4q0d.png

Elderlycrawfish yearns to commit more arson on the following turn, but he's blocked by a Muton standing sentry by the hull of the ship. If it feels the heat of the fire, it gives no sign.

We don't know if this is a new target, or if the one we saw earlier shifted right. Regardless, Confirmation Bias has a clear line of fire.

Pn0Aguu.gif

The rocket tank does good.

Unfortunately, with our angles of attack limited by the jungle and the Skyranger's fuselage, we can't finish it off this turn. Mvrck manages to put a proxy in between us and the Muton as a stop-gap measure, and the rest of the squad swaps out their armor piercing ammunition for something with a little more kick.

Heavy footfalls thump on soft earth ...

w6KMvrE.png

... and the jungle is rocked by another explosion. There's no death cry. We still haven't checked their advance.

jgZfgw8.png

Meanwhile, HyphyKezzy and Mr Ray go looking for the Muton that HyphyKezzy grenaded earlier. Horribly, there's no sign of it. Is it hiding in the smoke? Did it withdraw to the east?

kg4bQKj.png

We're now penned in on both sides. Worse still, HyphyKezzy can barely make it back behind the brush line and into the concealing smoke. It should be enough to screen him from a salvo of plasma fire.

jffueVa.gif

Alas, Mutons have very strong throwing arms.

iU88NWn.gif

Fanda on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    No Leaders. No Commanders. This ship contains not a single alien worth stunning.

Wait, so, why not just immediately extract?

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    AhahahaHAHAHAHA if we don't get back on the plane right now we're so boned.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mutons! Night mission!

GO TEAM. This is gonna huuuurt.

It looks like the Von Trapp clan will be getting base assault duty.

In entirely unrelated news, do we have legal and notary services on base? I need to finish up my will.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    deathdeathdeathdeathdeathdeathbutterdeathdeathdeath

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    It looks like the Von Trapp clan will be getting base assault duty.

In entirely unrelated news, do we have legal and notary services on base? I need to finish up my will.

No need to worry about that Gong, I added a few sheets to the X-com recruitment paperwork...
    You'd be amazed how many people don't read the Transfer of Power of Attorney sheets after they get done signing the initial Xcom entrance packet.

I did.
    I signed it anyway.
    I hope you really like muscle butter.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

So that we go into the next muton mission with a full understanding of what it will entail.

Or else Vahlen's been sticking electrodes into sectoid brains again, and some sensitive on base is having a pre-cog seizure.

I did.
    I signed it anyway.
    I hope you really like muscle butter.

Everything has a buyer, somewhere.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Fuck em. Let me at em with as much Explosive ammo as the weaklings can carry.

MOAR EXPLOSIONS!

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    My first mission is against mutons.

How is the therapy for rookies?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    The run goods had to come to an end sometime! I'm not entirely sure that taking off and nuking the site from orbit would work against these bastards :/

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
    Alien scum took everything form me.

When I did all I leave behind is a corpse.

And Dr Valhen already claimed dibs on that.

• HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Ouchie! Guessing I won't be walking that one off.

steam_sig.png
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »

I do like how the gif is timed just right so we don't know your fate.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »

Say goodbye to your eyebrows

steam_sig.png

Truth be told, I was going to do exactly that. However, I feel like I'm already overdrawn at the chickenshit bank after those Sectoid terror missions. Unless a situation augurs certain death for someone, I'd like to fight it out.

Also, I want to raise our score in southern Africa to offset the damage the alien base will do to us this month. More on that subject shortly.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    There's also the fact that your deaths are wonderfully entertaining. Fanda's competence can only take you so far. The blood god will have his due.

"I see everything twice!"

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Look at it this way, you can join me in excitedly wondering if you're deploying whenever there's a new mission before you remember oh wait right
    that's not really a plus for you, mostly just one for me. It's surprisingly lonely down here in hell

Look at it this way, you can join me in excitedly wondering if you're deploying whenever there's a new mission before you remember oh wait right
    that's not really a plus for you, mostly just one for me. It's surprisingly lonely down here in hell

You're not in hell cB, you're just haunting the muscle butter reserves.
    Sure, it may look like hell, but it's actually much, much worse.

Is it being suggested that the unit's prized muscle butter is made from dead XCOM operatives!?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Is it being suggested that the unit's prized muscle butter is made from dead XCOM operatives!?

Let's just say that it's not not being suggested, and leave it at that.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    My first mission is against mutons.

How is the therapy for rookies?

We have an excellent book by Doctor Richard Sanchez.

It's called "Get over it, Morty, you big baby." Excellent read.

I think in this case it recommends... drinking. Also any harder drugs you can get your hands on. But mostly drinking.