As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rock Band]: 4 has been announced! Out this year!

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2015
    FyreWulff's Next Gen Guide To Quickly Expanding Your Rock Band Library

Are you set up to play Rock Band 4 when it comes out? I originally wrote a guide way back when that showed you how to quickly expand your library for the least amount of money, but that post has now been consumed by the forum black hole and a lot of the exports expired since then. So here we go! None of this guide requires you to own a 360 or PS3, or even put in a disc. This guide will also only cover methods that work 100% right now; it may be possible to get some other expired exports and offers, but YMMV.

Rock Band Blitz - 15$
    Xbox | Playstation
    This will give you 25 songs compatible with Rock Band 4. And a game! All of Blitz's songs are available individually on the store otherwise. It's likely Blitz will be compatible with the One's Backwards Compatible mode as well. To get the export to work you need to load up Blitz on an actual 360 or PS3 so that it prompts you to download the Blitz soundtrack.
    Value: 60 cents per song

Rock Band 2 Harmonix Pack - Free
    Xbox | Playstation
    This is a pack of Harmonix songs from Rock Band 2 that were given to everyone for free!
    Value: Freedom cents per song

Rock Band Track Pack Volume 2
    Check your favorite retailer, new copies only
    A physical disc release that contained a collection of 20 Rock Band DLC songs that also includes a marketplace code for that disc's console family. Notably, it's the only way you can now obtain Snow ((Hey Oh)) by RHCP, which was pulled from the store due to license expiration, making it worthwhile to get this song pack. You only need to redeem the code from the manual to obtain the songs.

Value: 65 cents per song . Average price of the Track Pack is 13$

Various Free Songs
    These songs are free on the store for promotional reasons.

Still Alive [url="https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/still-alive/cid=UP0006-BLUS30050_00-RBSTILLALCCF005D"]P[/url
    Charlene [X | P]
    I Still Believe [url="https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/i-still-believe/cid=UP8802-BLUS30463_00-RBISTILLBFC33C00"]P[/url

Rock Band: Green Day
    The game's export has expired, but the entire disc setlist is available on the store as regular DLC in album packs and singles.

Songs Re-released
    Rock Band 1: The covers of Run to the Hills [X | P] (non-export) and Tom Sawyer [url="https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/tom-sawyer-(original-version)/cid=UP0006-BLUS30050_00-RBTOMSAWYCCF00F1"]P[/url (export) have the original artist studio versions available on the store, which are linked. Wanted Dead Or Alive [X | P] is available as RB3 DLC. It's also available as part of the Bon Jovi: Greatest Hits Pack [X | P].

Rock Band 2: Alive (export expired) has a Live [url="https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/alive-(live-drop-in-the-park)/cid=UP0006-BLUS30050_00-RBALIVELICCF0295"]P[/url version on the store. Give It Away [url="https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/give-it-away/cid=UP8802-BLUS30463_00-RBGIVEITAC3FBC00"]P[/url (non-export) and Spoonman [url="https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/spoonman/cid=UP8802-BLUS30463_00-RBSPOONMABD83C00"]P[/url (non-export) are available as DLC singles or via the Blitz export. Livin' On A Prayer [X | P] is available as RB3 DLC. It's also available as part of the Bon Jovi: Greatest Hits Pack [X | P].

Lego Rock Band: Fire (export expired) has a Live [url="https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/fire-(live)/cid=UP0006-BLUS30050_00-RBFIRELIVFFF0052"]P[/url version on the store as a single or as part of the "Are You Experienced" album pack [X | P]. We Will Rock You [X | P] and We Are The Champions [X | P] are available as RB3 DLC in the store. You Give Love A Bad Name [X | P] is available as RB3 DLC in the store. It's also available as part of the Bon Jovi: Greatest Hits Pack [X | P].

DLC: Fortunate Son [X | P] , Working Man [url="https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/working-man-(vault-edition)/cid=UP0006-BLUS30050_00-RBWORKINMCCF00BB"]P[/url, Limelight [url="https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/limelight-(original-version)/cid=UP0006-BLUS30050_00-RBLIMELIGCCF00EE"]P[/url, and Number of the Beast [X | P] all have a studio version of the song that was released after the cover version. The cover versions are still available on the store, so pay attention to the big "As Made Famous by" when shopping on the store. I've linked the studio versions.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Did they ever patch the game so the achievement to play all the free songs in Rock Band still works after one of the free songs they had released was removed from the store?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Did they ever patch the game so the achievement to play all the free songs in Rock Band still works after one of the free songs they had released was removed from the store?

Nope, it's permanently unobtainable if you don't have the songs. They wanted to just make it pop for everyone, but apparently first party wouldn't let them do that. Same with the Link Up To Rockband.com achievement. We're up to like 3 removed free songs now too.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Nope, it's permanently unobtainable if you don't have the songs. They wanted to just make it pop for everyone, but apparently first party wouldn't let them do that. Same with the Link Up To Rockband.com achievement. We're up to like 3 removed free songs now too.

That's a damn shame.

• Options
    Yep. The awkwardness when content can expire.

I've finished the library post for now!

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Dumb question: if we bought currently unlicensed songs in the previous generation games, will we still have access to them, or will we have to go through the hoops above?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Dumb question: if we bought currently unlicensed songs in the previous generation games, will we still have access to them, or will we have to go through the hoops above?

answer not really known at this time

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Rock Band After PAX Party is LIVE on twitch:

Watch online or come on down and play if you're here! Harmonix is in the building!

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I haven't paid much attention to this game, so could somebody get me up to speed on a few things real quick? Will my PS3 instruments work with RB4 on my PS4 without doing anything? And is the hundreds I spent on DLC over the years just down the toilet? I have spent an embarrassing amount of money on the Rock Band franchise and buying (especially re-buying) a bunch of songs isn't going to be in the cards, so I might have to just stick with the on disc songs mostly.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    I haven't paid much attention to this game, so could somebody get me up to speed on a few things real quick? Will my PS3 instruments work with RB4 on my PS4 without doing anything? And is the hundreds I spent on DLC over the years just down the toilet? I have spent an embarrassing amount of money on the Rock Band franchise and buying (especially re-buying) a bunch of songs isn't going to be in the cards, so I might have to just stick with the on disc songs mostly.

What Harmonix has said is that any wireless instrument you have been using for PS3 should work on PS4. Unfortunately, I don't believe wired instruments will work on either console, that's likely a Sony and Microsoft issue and is beyond the control of what Harmonix could do.

Your DLC will (at least eventually) mostly carry over when using the same family of consoles according to the language used by Harmonix. There was some mention of them having to re-release the old DLC, but they haven't ironed out all the details with us yet as far as I know. If you have already downloaded it before, when they re-release it, you should just be able to download it onto your new console. Like I said, we still don't know all the details yet, but they are advertising their entire back catalog of songs with promo material for Rock Band 4, so something should get done, at least eventually.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Just for clarity, the wired controllers are likely not suported because they aren't 'official' gear. MS made kind of a stink about allowing third parties the ability ro make wireless controllers. Technically all wireless 360 gear becomes first party so it's easier to support.

Did they even make wired PS3 gear?

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    No PS3 Wired gear at all.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Awesome, this takes me from mildly interested to a must buy day one purchase. Really impressive that Harmonix is going to these lengths to make old stuff compatible. I suppose they kind of have to though if they have any hope of resurrecting the franchise.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    They're trying to raise crops in land that was salted by Activision.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    RB4 cheevos are in the wild
    I Told You I Hated This One (5)
    As a Singer, fail out of a song that you voted against.
    :+1:

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Here is a thing I don't know how to classify.

Here is the forum thread with FAQs.
    Fans who are 18 and older and from the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada can apply to become a Member of the Rock Band Road Crew right now by completing an application and submitting a video. Accepted Members will be able to participate in challenges, called Gigs, which range anywhere from posting about Rock Band to playing Rock Band with friends and family! Members will complete these Gigs to earn points that they can then redeem for rewards.[...]

And last, but not least, each accepted Member of the Road Crew will receive a free Rock Band 4 Band-in-a-Box Bundle™ BEFORE LAUNCH! We’re bringing the party to you ahead of time, so apply now to become a part of the Road Crew!

[...]

The Rock Band Road Crew will be accepting applications now through September 13th, so don’t wait to join the Road Crew! For more information and to apply, head over to our Road Crew main page and let’s get rocking!

I literally cannot quantify my feelings about this. I am bemused. And leery about the idea of joining some points earning club. I guess the full-kit bundle is kind of cool, but it implies a limited access to the 'club'. What would be the point of that?

• Options
    I'd sign up for that, but I don't have an Xbox One yet. Otherwise, I would definitely be willing to sign a legally-binding piece of paper that I would host a Rock Band party at least once a week and buy new DLC at least once a month...

• Options
    Happy sixth birthday, Beatles Rock Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvhIqTgIyI

May your requests to be exported and get new DLC never die

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I'd sign up for that, but I don't have an Xbox One yet. Otherwise, I would definitely be willing to sign a legally-binding piece of paper that I would host a Rock Band party at least once a week and buy new DLC at least once a month...

I'm all but signed up but I guess you have to make a Video. Makes sense though.

• Options
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Ooooh, That Smell

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Have there been any recent previews of RB4? I'm still pretty much in the dark with respect to how this will be more than RB3.5. Not that I mind, but I simply don't know much about the game other than that they're dropping Pro support (except for drums), adding freestyle guitar solos and harmonising (I think) and that the game can score drum fills on the fly.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    It's not meant to be a whole new game. The intent is pretty much a refreshed Rock Band.

Anything a dramatic departure isn't going to be numbered (ala Blitz)

• Options
    Except it *is* supposed to be more than RB3.5, at least according to the PR. It's a shame if that isn't the case - although where people draw the line between "Yup, it's a full new game" and "Nope, it's just incremental changes that barely qualify as a new game" will be subjective.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    If you like what they did then it's a whole, new game.

If you don't, then it's derivative crap.

• Options
    Well, then, to get back to my original question: I don't *know* what they did, because I haven't read any comprehensive previews yet. Have I just missed them, or are they yet to come?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    If all they gave me was Rock Band 2 or 3 for PS4, I'd be happy. I don't know the vast majority of the songs on that page, but that just gives me a chance to try new music. Once the backlogged DLC gets reinstated, though, I'll have pretty much everything I wanted from this game.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The main "newness":

- Guitar Freestyles
    - Vocal freestyle
    - Charted drum fills
    - Every single song ever getting harmonies support, courtesy Harmonies Project
    - A plan to support the game extensively post-launch, adding features and other stuff depending on what the community wants, instead of the game being frozen in time like the previous releases. RB4 is the only mainline Rock Band for this generation.

The only existing instrument that didn't get a new feature was bass.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Thank you.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    ALERT ALERT

GO BUY THE ROCK BAND 1 EXPORT IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE SO FOR SOME REASON

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Are there going to be cymbal attachments for the new drums? All of the pictures I have seen are just of the vanilla set.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Yes, you have to buy them.

RB4 cymbals only work with RB4 kit. RB3 cymbals will work in the RB4 kit.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    POSTING SPREE

They just confirmed 1500 songs available at the launch of RB4

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

Time for a bigger hard drive.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Still not sure what I'm supposed to be ordering. I want the digital game, a guitar controller, and the legacy 360 adapter. It doesn't seem possible to do this without buying the game three times. I can't find confirmation that I'll be able to buy either the guitar or the adapter by itself.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    ALERT ALERT

GO BUY THE ROCK BAND 1 EXPORT IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE SO FOR SOME REASON
    Possibly a stupid question, but if I've already imported all of these into RB3, will they carry over, or do I need another export?

Edit: Also, I've heard that the RB4 cymbals won't be available at launch. Not sure if that's accurate, though.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    if I've already imported all of these into RB3, will they carry over, or do I need another export?
    RB1 was a little funky because of the disc export mechanism, but basically the previous "imports" were the same as DLC, just with a code to redeem. There shouldn't be anything special to do that you wouldn't do with any individual previously-purchased track.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    I'm going to have to take a listen to the soundtrack, but man, that shit is just underwhelming.

• Options
    mollehmolleh Registered User regular
    Hey guys, so sorry if this has been answered already, but if I buy the $5 RB1 export key for XBone, I just "get" those DLC songs usable in RB4? There's nothing else I have to do? The link says "download to your Xbox 360" so kinda confusing..