As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

yo, what's your favourite [movie] (thread)

FAQFAQ Registered User regular
Ye all know what movies are right? Here's an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgLEDdFddk

that's pretty sweet but they get even better.

Everyone's got their own favourite too, well I don't which makes me ill suited to kick off this thread but here we are, so what is yours?

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    It used to be Back to the Future 1, but now I can say with some confidence that it's Inception. I should re-watch that some time.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My favorite movie is Upstream Color and I recommend it to nobody and if people say that they hate it I say, "That's cool."

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Mad max is way up there for me, so is winter soldier

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    1990s tmnt movie probably

Just can't help it

Speed racer is likely a close second

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    At least one of my favorites is 1980's Ordinary People. Multiple Oscar wins including Best Picture. Directed by Robert Redford. Screenplay by Alvin Sargent. Starring Timothy Hutton, Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore, and Judd Hirsch.

It is excellent and heart-wrenching and the acting is stellar all-around and it's just a great movie.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Ghostbusters probably.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mr. Holmes was an alright movie. A good Netflix or rental film, but I don't know that it's something I need to see more than once.

My favorite movie is Upstream Color and I recommend it to nobody and if people say that they hate it I say, "That's cool."

I really like upstream color!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I hate Upstream Color

My favorite movie is The Godfather

Boring answer? Maybe, I guess?

It really is deserving of all its praise and classic status though

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Tron: Legacy is unendingly exciting for me, even though I've watched it 50+ times. The visual and audio experience of that movie is delightful to me in every way.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Princess Bride
    Casablanca
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

The first two are a dead tie
    Raiders falls a little behind but it's close

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Scott Pilgrim
    Ghostbusters
    the Lion King
    Singin' in the Rain

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Tron Legacy has some of the most appealing visual style I've ever seen, based just on the trailers

I say based just on the trailers because even though it looks really good I've never felt compelled to actually sit down and watch it

Other movies I really like:
    Mad Max
    Speed Racer
    Jupiter Ascending
    Scott Pilgrim
    Back To The Future 2+3
    Mulan

Tron Legacy has some of the most appealing visual style I've ever seen, based just on the trailers

I say based just on the trailers because even though it looks really good I've never felt compelled to actually sit down and watch it

Super worth watching, ever single goddamn frame is a work of art that I would hang on my walls. Watch it on a nice screen if you can, and the 3D version is actually rad as heck if you're that blessed.

The first three Blu-Rays I bought once I got a player were Tron Legacy, Scott Pilgrim, and Speed Racer

I hate Upstream Color

That's cool.

I still haven't seen The Godfather, but I have historically found stories about mobsters to be miserable and interminably dull

Yojimbo is pretty good.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    MY WIFE IS AWESOME AND SNAGGED ME THE LAST STEEL BOOK FOR MAD MAX TODAY

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The first three Blu-Rays I bought once I got a player were Tron Legacy, Scott Pilgrim, and Speed Racer

Those are good movies for Blu-ray. IIRC I actually bought Tron before I had a blu-ray player or TV, but it was worth it.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The first blu ray I ever bought was...Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall.

The first blu ray I ever bought was...Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall.

Aw, buddy

Aw, buddy

I can't tell what this means. I'm going to assume you love Dave as much as I do.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

that movie was great

shane carruth has got to be one of the most patient filmmakers alive

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My first Blu-Ray was Justified S1.

First DVD I ever bought was Frequency.

First VHS was...Braveheart I think.

Last blu ray was MAD MAX FURY ROAD STEELBOOK EDITION

I think my first DVD was The Matrix.

You know, the Matrix wasn't so bad.

edited September 2015
    I hate Upstream Color

That's cool.

I still haven't seen The Godfather, but I have historically found stories about mobsters to be miserable and interminably dull

This is two for two in this thread on me sharing movie opinions with pooro

this cannot continue

Chincymcchilla on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    after some deep soul-searching I think I'm obligated to say my favorite movie is The Big Lebowski

it is the only one I have watched so many times (I've lost count, but definitely more than 20), and still enjoy as much as the first viewing

Uriel wrote: »

I will always love the original Matrix.

I will watch the second one for a few good scenes.

I have no recollection of the third one.

I hate Upstream Color

That's cool.

this cannot continue

Here's an unpopular hot take:
    I hated The Goonies

Probably because I didn't see it until I was an adult, so didn't have the "right" context, but still. Couldn't stand it.

Movies I've seen the most...

Jurassic Park
    Major League
    White Men Can't Jump

Three of my Favorite movies if you ask me
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Garden State
    Lost in Translation

aw man I haven't seen White Men Can't Jump in a dang grip

Shorty wrote: »
    aw man I haven't seen White Men Can't Jump in a dang grip

All three of those movies I can recite from start to finish. And now I'm singing "Closer Walk With Thee"

I hate Upstream Color

That's cool.

this cannot continue

I hated The Goonies

Probably because I didn't see it until I was an adult, so didn't have the "right" context, but still. Couldn't stand it.

I'm in the same boat. It was markedly unpleasant for me to watch.

I can watch The Goonies now and understand that my adult self would probably not love the movie. However, I can't watch it without wearing kid glasses and feeling super nostalgic and loving it.

Uriel wrote: »

I will always love the original Matrix.

I will watch the second one for a few good scenes.

I have no recollection of the third one.

yeah I still love the highway chase in the second

and any time Neo fights the twins

I hate Upstream Color

That's cool.

this cannot continue

I hated The Goonies

I love the goonies

but its racist, fat shaming, and not very good

context likely has everything to do with it

This discussion has been closed.