As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

yo, what's your favourite [movie] (thread)

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I hate Upstream Color

That's cool.
    My favorite movie is The Godfather

Boring answer? Maybe, I guess?

It really is deserving of all its praise and classic status though

I still haven't seen The Godfather, but I have historically found stories about mobsters to be miserable and interminably dull

This is two for two in this thread on me sharing movie opinions with pooro

this cannot continue

Here's an unpopular hot take:
    I hated The Goonies

Probably because I didn't see it until I was an adult, so didn't have the "right" context, but still. Couldn't stand it.

BROTHER

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't remember which Blu-Ray was my first, but really one of my go-to films to show people how nice a Blu-Ray can look is North By Northwest.

The opening credits are some classic Saul Bass shit with lines criss-crossing the screen and one of the things most people don't think about until it's pointed out is that on DVDs oftentimes things like those straight lines would have a bit of digital artifacting around them. But the transfer for the film is so good.

Then I skip ahead to the barn storming scene, because all the detail in the cornfields just pops.

But, I will freely admit this reveals me as a giant movie nerd snob.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Also saw The Goonies as an adult

Also hated it

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If I want to impress with my audio system now I whip out Super 8 for the train crash scene.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'm now trying to figure out what my most hated movie is. Because I don't usually hate stuff - I'll have a bad time, go "that sure isn't for me," and try to figure out what other folks see in it. Try to recognize the appeal even if it doesn't resonate with me.

But as far as the movie that I genuinely hated the most? Probably Catfish. Catfish, Peter Pan, or Pocahontas.

But probably Catfish.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    now which fictional character would you be if you had to choose one, go!

clerks2gocartsdantelz1.1828.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, I'm the same way about hating movies.

I would say Crash maybe. I could definitely see Pocahontas and Peter Pan for you, Pooro. I haven't seen those movies since I was old enough to really think about how horrible they were.

• Options
    Most hated movie for me is probably Wet Hot American Summer

Or Hot Rod

I'm not sure which, but they were both just excruciating to watch in ways I didn't know it was possible for film to achieve

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm now trying to figure out what my most hated movie is. Because I don't usually hate stuff - I'll have a bad time, go "that sure isn't for me," and try to figure out what other folks see in it. Try to recognize the appeal even if it doesn't resonate with me.

But as far as the movie that I genuinely hated the most? Probably Catfish. Catfish, Peter Pan, or Pocahontas.

But probably Catfish.

why for?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I hate

SLC Punk

SOOOO Much.

• Options
    I love WHAS and Hot Rod with so much love.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    definitely need a top 5, and even then it changes. If I had to just pick my top 5 no context:

Matrix
    Star wars
    Angus
    V for Vendetta
    Braveheart
    Chef

But high fidelity is a close one.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Guardians of the Galaxy is probably the film I hate the most

typically I don't hate movies at all, but I have grown to hate Guardians. Probably due to a combination of really wanting to like it, being very disappointed with it, and being frustrated with how much other people do like it, as well as annoyance at how much it has changed the comic book into something I don't enjoy as well. The more I think about Guardians, the more I really hate it.

(I use hate here to mean, very much do not like, rather than it inspiring any kind of moral outrage or disgust in me. I'm not that weird).

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I have a favorite but two movies off the top of my head that'll drop what I'm doing and watch the rest of the way through are inception and brotherhood of the wolf.

I guess if I had to pick a favorite I'd say the prestige

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Like...Guardians of the Galaxy? I cant get not liking it I suppose but it seems like a really hard movie to actively hate.

OK, read the end of the post and I suppose that makes a little more sense.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Favourite movie of all time is probably, er

well it changes

Aliens is at least a close contender every time, though

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

But probably Catfish.

why for?

As for Catfish:
    The smugness of the host/subject, the exploitative nature of the whole exercise, the fact that they were profiting directly off of the instability and depression of an obviously troubled person. Manipulative, gross, insufferable.

As for the other two:
    Racism, in stories targeting children.

• Options
    Like...Guardians of the Galaxy? I cant get not liking it I suppose but it seems like a really hard movie to actively hate.

Oh it's an incredibly easy movie to hate if you dislike it

everyone else loves it, you see

that drives a certain sort of person (me) to the very heights of incandescent loathing

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Most hated movie for me is probably Wet Hot American Summer

Or Hot Rod

I'm not sure which, but they were both just excruciating to watch in ways I didn't know it was possible for film to achieve

... and I'd just awesomed your post about liking The Godfather

I don't have a "favourite" movie I think. Maybe The Godfather, Pulp Fiction or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? I don't know.

Favourite from this year would probably have to be Mad Max so far.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Revenge of the Fallen is easily my most hated movie. Admittedly I don't watch tons of movies, but it's still a choice I'm confident in.

• Options
    Mad Max Fury Road is certainly another contender for my favourite movie of all time

I'd say it's probably my favourite cinema experience of all time

that fight with the chain was just entrancing. I couldn't look away. I forgot that there was anything else in the universe other than the experience right in front of me

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

that drives a certain sort of person (me) to the very heights of incandescent loathing

Yeah I get a little twitchy whenever people talk about it as one of their favorite Marvel movies(or worse, favorite movies) too.

Aliens, Alien, and Terminator are all really high on my lists. Lots to love in each.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

Sorta how I feel about Mad Max: Fury Road? Summed up all into one post

But that movie didn't even command that kind of emotion to get "loathing" out of me

It was boredom

I nothing that movie, and everyone else loves it, so, whatever

• Options
    I'm trying to think of my favorite movie that almost everyone else seems to hate.

Jupiter Ascending comes to mind.

• Options
    I'm trying to think of my favorite movie that almost everyone else seems to hate.

But Jupiter Ascending is rad

And quite a few people here loved it!

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I just said I loved it last page! It's so pretty and silly! It has a beaureacracy montage!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    As for inexplicable movie opinions that other people find odd.

I like kill Bill 2 way more than 1

• Options
    20150901_185843_zpsujopciap.jpg

WITNESS ME

• Options

But Jupiter Ascending is rad

And quite a few people here loved it!

Yeah but it gets a ton of flack and scored really low on RT.

But then critics suck.

• Options
    I love Punch-Drunk Love and that's considered a "lesser" PT Anderson movie and a lot of people hate it

• Options
    Punch-Drunk Love rules

I like Magnolia a bunch too

I don't really like Boogie Nights, There Will Be Blood, and haven't seen The Master

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what my favorite movie is. I guess either Drive or Spirited Away.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I love Punch-Drunk Love and that's considered a "lesser" PT Anderson movie and a lot of people hate it

I am in this boat with you.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My favourite movie is probably the great escape. There is something just wonderfully timeless about that movie.

My least favourite movie is probably Elizabethtown.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I used to have a list of my favorite movies. What Dreams May Come was at the top of it. That was years ago now, though, and I don't really keep a list anymore. I do have movies I own that I will watch any time for any or no reason, though. John Wick, GalaxyQuest, Hot Fuzz, Die Hard, Muppet Treasure Island, Jurassic Park. Maybe a couple others.

I made that list by turning around and looking at which of my DVDs were haphazardly stacked on top, ie. which ones I don't bother filing back into their correct spots.

I'll probably add Fury Road to that list once I get it.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Punch Drunk Love is way awesome and the best Adam Sandler movie

• Options
    A movie I really like that nobody seems to talk about is Resurrecting the Champ

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I dunno if fury road will become one of my favourite movies, but it'll be on the list, along with die hard, the raid, dredd and guardians of the galaxy. Of when I just want to watch something awesome.

Blake T on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Jaws.

The Princess Bride and Star Wars close on it's heels.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Favorite film?

jurass-park-4-world-jeff-goldblum.jpg?w=720&cdnnode=1

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.