As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Those of you waiting for Amazon preorders for Wave 5b a rep already confirmed they won't go up until the 11th of September.

Still waiting for Bowser Jr. to go up at Toys R Us...

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    So this is Walmart in Canada, but looks like 8-bit modern Mario and Dr Mario are exclusive to that store

5z22h4cqva6u.jpg

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Typically though our "Walmart exclusive" is America's "Target exclusive". So the modern Mario could also potentially be that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    fucking hell. I hate Walmart. I haven't bought something from Walmart in over 10 years.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Hooray! Thanks to sporadic restocks over the past few months that shockingly took hours instead of seconds to vanish, I'm freakin' 4 for 4 with the Fire Emblem set. At the very least I'm set for the new game. Just gotta either get a N3DS or one of those adapters though...

The situation has gotten marginally better. There have been shockingly quite a few restocks, at least in Canada. Although you can definitely see the retail wave it follows. First EB gets Ike/Falcon/Villager, then a few days later Walmart gets the same list, then BB, and so on. It's still very much a case of "right place at the right time". Really, the only difference is that you actually have time to blink if you're in that moment. Ike actually stayed up on BB for a few hours, which is the reason I got him.

I mentioned to my wife that I finally had the Amiibo I needed, now I just had to save up for the new game. She replied, "You know for the price of two amiibo you could've just bought the game."

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Did you tell her that the first rule of amiibo collecting is she doesn't remind you how much you've spent on amiibo collecting?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Never look at your collection and try to do the math. It just leads to despair.

"We could have paid off our mortgage!!!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Who needs a house when you have ammibo.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    If you have enough amiibo, you can build a house out of them.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Want to watch something depressing?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T6Sdx56308

Saw this on reddit. Guy in Australia tries to buy every single amiibo in one day. Prepare to cry about which ones he has trouble finding.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    WELP!

Time to wake up again at 7AM.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    I'm glad this falls on the same week as labor day. Going to just work that day and take Friday off instead. No work excuse needed :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'll be in Orlando that weekend with my family.

I could drive to a local Toys R Us there, but not sure if I'd want to chance fighting an Orlando crowd. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited September 2015
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'll be in Orlando that weekend with my family.

I could drive to a local Toys R Us there, but not sure if I'd want to chance fighting an Orlando crowd. :P

Honestly there will probably be a ton of Bowser Jr.s if that's all you need. Store exclusives were super plentiful last two waves. If you go near open you'll probably be fine.

Warlock82 on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I did the store lineup thing for Dark Pit, but I'm probably gonna pass this time around and just hope for the best. I'm fine buying one figure, but since the 9/11 wave is going to have four or five I dunno if I want to commit to that many at a time.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I might mosey over to TRU sometime that evening if the internet says most stores had tons. Otherwise I'll just buy the Japanese version off of Amazon with the 5 dollar convenience fee.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Hoping I can get my hands on a 8-bit Mario. Why do I have to work Friday?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Those 8-bit classic numbers -- ugh. I was hoping to pick up one at Best Buy along with Mario Maker using my leftover gift card. Oh well.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Those 8-bit classic numbers -- ugh. I was hoping to pick up one at Best Buy along with Mario Maker using my leftover gift card. Oh well.

Speaking of MM, off topic, but do all the physical versions of that game come with the booklet?

Edit: Nevermind. I looked it up. They do. Yay!

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Want to watch something depressing?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T6Sdx56308

Saw this on reddit. Guy in Australia tries to buy every single amiibo in one day. Prepare to cry about which ones he has trouble finding.

That's hilarious.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    Zython wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Speaking of MM, off topic, but do all the physical versions of that game come with the booklet?

All physical copies come with the book. All digital copies can request to be mailed a free copy of the book. And the thing will be put online for free via pdf.

They've covered every angle. It's pretty cool.

• LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    Is Dr. Mario store-exclusive in Canada? We don't have Target anymore...

Sorry if this has been answered already.

Lail wrote: »
    Is Dr. Mario store-exclusive in Canada? We don't have Target anymore...

Sorry if this has been answered already.

Walmart in Canada

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular

aaand sold out. Stupid vendors taking me out for drinks so I don't get on Amiibo watch. :(

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited September 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tmxL0uNvfg

Probably every costume in the game. Some of those are freaking awesome. And it looks like there are already costumes for Mewtwo, Lucas and Chibi-robo too. AND yes, the Yarn Yoshis have unique costumes INCLUDING Mega Yarn Yoshi!

Also.... interesting there are costumes for all Star Fox members.....

They even randomly have Nikki from Swapnote in there :P

Edit: Also random touch, Dark Pit floats instead of walks :D

Warlock82 on
    Aww, the costume video seems to be private now. Must have gotten a nastygram from Nintendo

• ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Ugh exclusives and low 8-bit numbers! Can't take the day off and I want them all. Looks like I'm better off importing this time.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Aww, the costume video seems to be private now. Must have gotten a nastygram from Nintendo

Must have. There were a few I didn't know about in there.

I just watched a themed level where the guy basically says what one of the mushrooms was, but avoids it. Kind of got the vibe it was a hush hush thing.

Lucario is back up on Bestbuy.ca

McFlynn wrote: »

Must have. There were a few I didn't know about in there.

I just watched a themed level where the guy basically says what one of the mushrooms was, but avoids it. Kind of got the vibe it was a hush hush thing.

Yeah a lot of the videos I saw they said they were specifically not allowed to show most of the costumes. It was a weird Nintendo thing - I guess so they aren't all spoiled? *shrug*

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    There's some that spoil unannounced Amiibo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    There's some that spoil unannounced Amiibo

Not every costume maps to an amiibo. Some are just costumes you unlock through playing.

Also, they wouldn't let the press show announced amiibo costumes, like, I know Diddy was one they couldn't show.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Yeah I remember watching a video about a Wind Waker themed stage and the guy who made it (the video and the stage) going "Here's Tingle Tower. Oh look, that block at the top of Tingle Tower had a Mystery Mushroom in it, I wonder who you would transform into if you got that mushroom from Tingle Tower." making it pretty obvious they were embargoed on revealing costumes.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Miyamoto did talk about Star Fox amiibo including a transformable arwing- which is pretty clearly what we saw in that video

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    Miyamoto did talk about Star Fox amiibo including a transformable arwing- which is pretty clearly what we saw in that video

Well, Falco got pushed back to the release of the new Starfox, so maybe it's just him and Fox.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293