As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I was looking for a [Job] and then I found a [Job]

I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitarRegistered User regular
edited September 2015 in Social Entropy++
I still don't know if I'll have a job for long after my company gets acquired, which is going to be finalized soon. So that's exciting.

How's things with you?

I Zimbra on

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Pretty good.

This punk 9th grader keeps coming into the library and mocking my paraprofessionals. I've talked to his administrator again. Seriously this kid acts like he is five.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Trying to get in to talk to my manager to see if I need to do anything before taking 2-3 days off sick and then working from home for a few more, but she hasn't been in her office all day.

Trying not to stress over interview tomorrow.

Not at all stressing about this company's pending acquisition (but sad I'll probably miss out on a $2k bonus when it finally goes through).

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Pretty good.

This punk 9th grader keeps coming into the library and mocking my paraprofessionals. I've talked to his administrator again. Seriously this kid acts like he is five.

Throw the book at him.

Madican on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Pretty good.

Throw the book at him.

If only.

He came in first week of school with a class and he was just randomly pushing books back on the shelves. I politely asked him if he would stop and he repeated in a mocking tone, "please stop, please stop, please stop"

Congratulations kid. You've set the record for me learning a freshman's name.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I signed up for a temp agency today. I'm not sure if this is the feeling of adulthood or just a slight fever.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Back from vacation, I miss vacation already.

So much to catch up on it is depressing.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Pretty good.

Throw the book at him.

This is an A++ joke. Would laugh again.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Today on work forum someone was complaining about PC running amok. I decided to bust out the "Every time I see the phrase PC I like to replace it with 'Respecting other people'" line I saw here.

I believe it's now one of the top posts within our work community so that's nice.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    A work forum sounds like it could easily be disastrous.

Holy shit that kid came in again with his reading class. Reading class in high school is where they put you when you are well below the reading level of high school. This class had like six kids in it and they were almost all just horrific. The teacher was barely able to control them. I actually went into the hall and asked one of the security officers to just stand around in the library just in case she needed help.

You know what? Even with these problem issues like that kid, I am still 1000% happier being a school librarian than working in a public library. This is nowhere near the pain and soul crushing the public library is.

Qanamil wrote: »

It's a mixed bag. It's honestly mostly just people chatting a bunch but every now and then it's extremely helpful for getting needed info or collaboration.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Vice principal just asked me to scan something and email it over to warehouse. I take a look and he's printed out an email.

I...just...words fail me.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Vice principal just asked me to scan something and email it over to warehouse. I take a look and he's printed out an email.

In the email ask them to print it out, write their reply in black ink, and fax it back to you. Then you can scan the fax, attach it to a messenger pigeon and send it back to the vice principal.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

I bet Tube can attest to that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Wife went on a business trip to Ottawa.

Bank assured us her credit card would work in Canada.

Her card was declined the first time by the cab driver.

She got a hold of me on Facebook letting me know what happened and then I said

yMtTGYA.jpg?1

Because I am a supportive husband.

We then had a disagreement about what is and is not funny.
    Then I harassed our bank and it's taken care of now.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Even as a Canadian, in Canada, with my Canadian credit card (and in the city in which I have lived my whole life), cabbies can't always get my card to work.

They just have shit equipment. :(

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I never use a card in a cab after I got my card cloned after using it in a Chicago cab. At least I used a credit card so it wasn't immediately out the money.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Wife went on a business trip to Ottawa.

Bank assured us her credit card would work in Canada.

Her card was declined the first time by the cab driver.

She got a hold of me on Facebook letting me know what happened and then I said

yMtTGYA.jpg?1

Because I am a supportive husband.

We then had a disagreement about what is and is not funny.
    Then I harassed our bank and it's taken care of now.

wife and i had this happen to us.

except replace "Canada" with "Turkey" and "cab driver" with "ATM that eats cards it doesn't like."

we thankfully figured out a different way to get cash, but for a couple of hours we were legit worried.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    Well week one at New bank job is done and starting week 2. You know when I started at 7-11 8 years ago it was a couple months before I had to call the cops, only 6 days in and I had to call the cops at the bank. It's funny when the lady started going off on the Branch manager everyone asked me if we should call. I guess I have more experience dealing with probable dementia patients at 7-11?

But in all the new job is going well and my manager and the branch manager seem to think I'm doing the self paced learning really quick. Be nice if I can get at least 30 hours at that bank instead of just the guaranteed 20 then I can tell our FC where to go and how trying to run a store our size on 40 hours a day is a physical impossibility.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Can't find a fitness thread, and this is sorta related so I'm putting this here. I've got a physical fitness test in November for a job I'm applying to. Nothing too big, just 1.5 miles in 14 minutes, 20 pushups and 30 situps in a minute each.

Well, I tried running for the first time in probably 15 years or so and got about .75 miles actually running before I had to walk the rest of the way or fall over from a distinct lack of energy. I hit the mile and a half mark in about 15 minutes, so this will easily be doable as long as I actually get out and do it. I live 3 miles from work with access to a shower there so I'm planning to walk/run in. I was wondering if anyone knows of an app or website, preferably free, that will keep track of my runs and help with this process? I know there are a lot out there, but I haven't the faintest idea of what's actually good or not.

As for pushups/situps, after the run I was able to get 16 pushups and another 15 situps before I just couldn't do more of either. I've got a training regimen for those, and really I'm not far from the target, so I'm not worried about them at all. It's just that run that worries me, and the test is a pass/fail with zero fucks given about why you failed, and obviously the easier it looks to do these things the better.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    I have a job interview on Thursday for a dispatch position with an alarms company

If I get the job it will be full time, Monday to Friday, for decent pay

It will be the first time I've done full time work in over two years.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I signed up for a temp agency today. I'm not sure if this is the feeling of adulthood or just a slight fever.

I am so sorry.

If the temp agency shows a list of who they're hiring for, go to that company's website/physical location. Some of them will still be hiring directly, and you don't lose out on the cut the agency takes.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Edit: whoops!

JoeUser on
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Can't find a fitness thread, and this is sorta related so I'm putting this here. I've got a physical fitness test in November for a job I'm applying to. Nothing too big, just 1.5 miles in 14 minutes, 20 pushups and 30 situps in a minute each.

Well, I tried running for the first time in probably 15 years or so and got about .75 miles actually running before I had to walk the rest of the way or fall over from a distinct lack of energy. I hit the mile and a half mark in about 15 minutes, so this will easily be doable as long as I actually get out and do it. I live 3 miles from work with access to a shower there so I'm planning to walk/run in. I was wondering if anyone knows of an app or website, preferably free, that will keep track of my runs and help with this process? I know there are a lot out there, but I haven't the faintest idea of what's actually good or not.

As for pushups/situps, after the run I was able to get 16 pushups and another 15 situps before I just couldn't do more of either. I've got a training regimen for those, and really I'm not far from the target, so I'm not worried about them at all. It's just that run that worries me, and the test is a pass/fail with zero fucks given about why you failed, and obviously the easier it looks to do these things the better.

MapMyRun has a couple fun little features that will help you track routes and times and stuff. Should be able to help you track your progress.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    To follow up on what DarthWaiter said last thread, I work at a staffing agency. And I can tell you quitting a $13 per hour job for the right move is absolutely worth it.

I know of certain... acquaintances that thankfully are no longer employed at my office, that would try to talk people into staying at jobs that they hated because it does affect their sales numbers. And I can tell you that recruiter is currently scrambling to find a replacement for you at that very moment.

I'm at 9 months at a staffing company and plan on actively looking for a new job once I hit due diligence at a year. The best thing out of this have been my 90% great coworkers, a reasonable boss, and the absolute conviction I am worth more than they're paying me for both the job that I'm doing, and the level of education I'm at. I've had enough success I can parlay it into a new field, the only thing I was missing was that mythical "1 year of recent office experience" HR people tack on to weed out terrible applicants from slightly less terrible applicants.

The some of the reasons some people get passed on for jobs for clients I work with are truly asinine.
    Docshifty wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »

I am so sorry.

If the temp agency shows a list of who they're hiring for, go to that company's website/physical location. Some of them will still be hiring directly, and you don't lose out on the cut the agency takes.

Most agencies don't though, mine sure doesn't.

It depends, if it's a labor ready type temp agency, the last thing you want to be is stuck being the, "go to guy" who will take any job for a few days here and there. Be willing to take a few odd jobs to show your worth, but be up front that you want full time work and not to bother call you if all they have is day to day stuff.

Also as general advice, do apply to companies through websites. But every chance you can, try to talk people above HR. Ask for tours of a place you want to work at and show enthusiasm for wanting to be there. A lot of places will hire based on attitude alone.

I work mostly contract to hire jobs, so the people I place have about an 80% of getting hired on if they finish 3 months.

manwiththemachinegun on
    So I was just asked to bring up a glass of water to a guest's room.

Yes, he was serious.

And yes, he got rather upset when I told him no and that the tap water in his room was potable

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So this past July we had our generator looked at just to make sure everything was all right. The tech said it needed a new battery, plus this and that. Our office sings off, sends the approval by fax, and then we promptly forgot about it. Apparently so did the service company because today the power went out and our generator didn't come on to keep us going. So for about half an hour today we (just the gas station, as the warehouse is on a different grid) were closed. And that was lucky, because FP&L gave me like an hour and a half ETA. So hey, good thing that hurricane didn't come through because that would have been absolutely insane to deal with.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Temp here. Everything you're heading is legit. Also staffing agencies almost never tell you who they're hiring for, and will also send in your resume for you so that they can sterilize it of contact info of any kind.

I am officially looking for other jobs since I just found out I wasn't even considered for a job that would be 25% more minimum and that as soon as I pointed the position out to my recruiter and commented how amazingly qualified I am, it disappeared.

Yeah, nah, fuck you guy.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited September 2015
    godmode wrote: »

MapMyRun has a couple fun little features that will help you track routes and times and stuff. Should be able to help you track your progress.

I also saw Runtastic that had this feature as well, but I need an app that has more of a training feature and tells me what I should be doing as I have no clue.

Got a pm from @Kosenjou telling me about Couch to 5K and after playing around with it both the website and the app look absolutely perfect. Thanks again Kosenjou!

Edit: To delivery companies, a little tip. Don't call a hotel and simply say "Dinner here" when I ask what I can do for you. When I say I don't understand what you're trying to say, don't just repeat "Dinner" another 3 times. And don't feign ignorance of english and then call back again speaking perfectly fine english, especially when you've got a very distinctive voice.

Time to scratch that location off the recommended delivery options.

Veevee on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Dude on second shift quit yesterday for a job in Columbia, starting at $13 an hour on first shift. HR pleaded with him to stay here, and offered him $1 if he stayed. He told HR to go fly a kite.

After four years here, he was only making $10.65 an hour.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

In the email ask them to print it out, write their reply in black ink, and fax it back to you. Then you can scan the fax, attach it to a messenger pigeon and send it back to the vice principal.

I hadn't seen this video in, apparently, 26 years or so but it was all I could think of when I read this...

SNL Carbon Paper

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    In the previous job thread, I mentioned that I got an offer last Wednesday.

I decided to accept it on Monday. It was tough to tell the other company that I was rejecting them, but it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

In the meantime, I don't start until the 28th, so look for some posts in the travel thread.

ASimPerson on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Starting three days of double drives today because we're short staffed. 5am to 7pm days with ~11 hours of driving. Which I don't really mind but it does emphasise the bad timing of me ripping off a toenail on my clutch foot.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Starting three days of double drives today because we're short staffed. 5am to 7pm days with ~11 hours of driving. Which I don't really mind but it does emphasise the bad timing of me ripping off a toenail on my clutch foot.

Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

make sure you're working your legs whenever possible so you don't get a deev vein thrombosis! Also I'd take a 81mg aspirin if i was sitting that much in a day

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Wooo, landed my first job interview since i graduated in June. I was starting to doubt the quality of my resume and portfolio, but this have given me a boost I needed.

It is not a dream job within industrial design like I wanted, but it seems like a great company and it is still research and development, even though it is designing shovels for big excavators :razz:

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So I was just asked to bring up a glass of water to a guest's room.

Yes, he was serious.

And yes, he got rather upset when I told him no and that the tap water in his room was potable

I get this more often than I'd like.

And, strangely enough, it is 99.9999999% of the time someone from the Indian subcontinent. Which... does make some degree of sense.

But every time I get asked that question I both chuckle inwardly (because why wouldn't tap water be safe to drink) and also shiver in fear (because oh god there are places where tap water is not safe to drink).

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    "You're going to court and acting as second chair tomorrow, so be ready."

She shows up in a t-shirt and sneakers.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    "You're going to court and acting as second chair tomorrow, so be ready."

She shows up in a t-shirt and sneakers.

well somebody hasn't seen My Cousin Vinny

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig