As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I was looking for a [Job] and then I found a [Job]

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I hate this feeling. I'm 30 minutes late for work.. I am salaried, which means I can easily make it up on the backend, and I do not have a timesheet I'm tracking, Many days I stay here well past normal quitting time, and my work day is only 7 1/2 hours + 1 hr lunch anyways. Yet.. I feel like utter crap for being late.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    SilverWind wrote: »
    "You're going to court and acting as second chair tomorrow, so be ready."

She shows up in a t-shirt and sneakers.

well somebody hasn't seen My Cousin Vinny

If she showed up in a bellhoppy secondhand suit I'd tell her to go for it!

Maybe the leather one too.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    You know what? Even with these problem issues like that kid, I am still 1000% happier being a school librarian than working in a public library. This is nowhere near the pain and soul crushing the public library is.

No, soul crushing is when you're a librarian in an agency that thinks software developers and programmers can easily do your job.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    I recently got upped from £9.41 to £12.02 an hour without realising it! That's a good little bump and about in line with what I would have asked for were my employers to ask for me to stay on in a permanent capacity. It's a really busy time right now and one other temp left, so that's probably what did it to make sure I wouldn't just leave them in the lurch :P

I was asked on for 2 months but I'm still here 6 months later, I'm coming to realise that that's not so uncommon. Company's future status is a little uncertain so not holding my breath, and the work is honestly a little dry so wouldn't be hugely torn up if I left. Still finding it pretty hard to make future plans while I'm already in something though.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Two yoots.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I hate this feeling. I'm 30 minutes late for work.. I am salaried, which means I can easily make it up on the backend, and I do not have a timesheet I'm tracking, Many days I stay here well past normal quitting time, and my work day is only 7 1/2 hours + 1 hr lunch anyways. Yet.. I feel like utter crap for being late.

I'm hourly and I'm regularly 5 minutes late (sometimes more). I used to care but once I realized that no one else does (I'm not tracked the same as most of our hourly employees) I stopped being worried so much. Of course, I almost always take a 30 minute lunch as well and get all my work done.

Sometimes crazy fast... I was done for today after an hour (but I'm also avoiding working on anything new today for various reasons).

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Librarian's Log: DeweyDate 213.15 (Natural theology -- Creation)

All technology sucks and is horrible.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Librarian's Log Supplemental:

Our LMS (Library Management Software) has been broken for two days. We are reverting to writing down student ids and barcodes on paper. I'm bringing in quills and ink tomorrow if it continues.

In addition, the MS 365 Sites are super broken in the school district. This is beyond my schools problem of us site admins for the school not having been given permission to actually add staff in the school to the sharepoint groups so that they can actually USE any of my school's site. It has been over a month on the second issue and NO ONE has contact us to fix it despite several assurances from another person that she would ensure the "top men" would be in contact soon.

That intermediary person is now no longer responding to my emails asking for at ETA concerning the "TOP MEN"

Really top notch tech support here school district. Get us to push ALL last year about how everyone needs to be using this site, TURN OFF the older software that was being replaced by the site, then never fucking help us when their stupid shit is broken.

Computer, begin emergency librarian separation sequence. Authorization Spork. Sequence 1. Code 1, 1A.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Tell your district I can whip the IT department into shape on communication but I'll need relocation assistance for myself and my enforcer assistant, @Darth Waiter.

Yukira wrote: »
    Tell your district I can whip the IT department into shape on communication but I'll need relocation assistance for myself and my enforcer assistant, Darth Waiter.

I'll do my best Ivan Drago impersonation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygQvB6OjHOU

• RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    What LMS are you running? And are you going to have to bust out the index cards and the date stamps?

Robonun wrote: »
    What LMS are you running? And are you going to have to bust out the index cards and the date stamps?

In Soviet Russia, cards index you.

Robonun wrote: »

TLC LS2

If things go bad I break this bad boy open.

5cu5elfbzjk8.jpg

Also I have my own supply of honey roasted peanuts now making everything great on my end!

Oh Tim, you know how to make a gal's heart go a-flutter. <3

• mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Just found out my application for a boat out in Washington state was selected. I've been on the east coast my whole life except for my tour in Hawaii. This is pretty exciting.

mosssnack on
    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Tell your district I can whip the IT department into shape on communication but I'll need relocation assistance for myself and my enforcer assistant, Darth Waiter.

I'll do my best Ivan Drago impersonation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygQvB6OjHOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IfeGnr2lE4

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Two yoots.

What's a yoot?

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Hello work thread I am not at work today because migraine.

I have improved to the point that I can reliably type and not vomit.

Now let's see if I can drink this broth.

In 4 minutes I will be off work for 5-6 days. Job interview in 4 1/2 hours...

• NijaNija Registered User regular

If she showed up in a bellhoppy secondhand suit I'd tell her to go for it!

Maybe the leather one too.

I love this associate so much.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Librarian's Log Supplemental:

Our LMS (Library Management Software) has been broken for two days. We are reverting to writing down student ids and barcodes on paper. I'm bringing in quills and ink tomorrow if it continues.

In addition, the MS 365 Sites are super broken in the school district. This is beyond my schools problem of us site admins for the school not having been given permission to actually add staff in the school to the sharepoint groups so that they can actually USE any of my school's site. It has been over a month on the second issue and NO ONE has contact us to fix it despite several assurances from another person that she would ensure the "top men" would be in contact soon.

That intermediary person is now no longer responding to my emails asking for at ETA concerning the "TOP MEN"

Really top notch tech support here school district. Get us to push ALL last year about how everyone needs to be using this site, TURN OFF the older software that was being replaced by the site, then never fucking help us when their stupid shit is broken.

Computer, begin emergency librarian separation sequence. Authorization Spork. Sequence 1. Code 1, 1A.

At my school the "check out" procedure was to write your name and the date on the card yourself. Based on library records, the members of Aerosmith attended a small South Dakota high school from 2003-2006 and were quite avid readers.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Do you need a thing? I can swing by after work which may be like 7ish.
    Whoooooooo long work days. All because someone can't coordinate things for a trip they have known about for quite a while.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I work at a grocery store

Everyone here is on a first name basis with the local chiropractor because all our backs are so screwed up from having to stand within leaning over all day. We are not allowed to have water at our register, so on a busy day people start loosing their voice or worse, passing out. I go home with blisters on my feet at least once a month.

I won't even get started on how much it sucks to push carts in 90 degree weather while in a nice shirt and tie

Pay us for the work we actually do dammit
    Corss posting this from from the politics thread because apparently there is some osha stuff that could apply to the water deal

Basically the store has gotten so busy that the cashiers are no longer able to get to the water fountains between customers coming to the register, and water bottles are currently banned because they dont want them to break the machines

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Welp, our AD admin, (and mail filter admin among other things) doesn't know what a .eml file is. Or doesn't know how to read.
    What type of file is an .emi ?

Huh...
    Open house tonight at school. I will be the only one in the library. Last year it was dead. Thinking about bringing my PS4 and hooking it up to the library TV so I can play MGSV

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    "Dave", who was obviously Indian or Bangladeshi, was just calling from the windows technical line telling me to type things into the command line. How could it go wrong!

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I wonder how long you could play dumb with that kind of scammer and pretend that the commands "aren't working" before they get wise?

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Hello Quid, I am not at work today because of a kidney stone that made it impossible to sleep. Thankfully, I passed it around 9am.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    "Dave", who was obviously Indian or Bangladeshi, was just calling from the windows technical line telling me to type things into the command line. How could it go wrong!

The better response is just to say "You must have me confused for someone who doesn't exclusively use Gentoo."

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I wonder how long you could play dumb with that kind of scammer and pretend that the commands "aren't working" before they get wise?

A friend managed to keep one on the phone for over half an hour before the guy got pissed off, admitted it was a scam, and hung up.

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Just tell them that you use Linux.

And then start telling them why their chose of OS is wrong. See what they do.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular

A long time. Trust me on this one.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Just tell them that you use Linux.

And then start telling them why their chose of OS is wrong. See what they do.

I'm a fan of "pretend you use Linux but don't actually know the difference" and just act very confused when the common Windows things they tell me to click don't exist.
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

A long time. Trust me on this one.

Yeah, as long as they think there's still a chance to get you, it's worth sticking around for. If you're good at playing dumb, it won't be super distinguishable from an actual easy mark.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Not job stuff but I don't understand money. I was behind on my credit card payments a bit, so when I got a good check I tossed $361 at it to make my account current. That was 2 weeks ago, now my statement for this month just got emailed to me, and my amount is back up to over what it was before I paid $361 and my new MINIMUM is $464. How does that even work.

Interview over...it was shorter than I expected, and I have no feel for how it went (good or bad) but that's kind of normal for me. I did manage to ask a few questions which is "better than normal" performance for me.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Caedwyr wrote: »

A friend managed to keep one on the phone for over half an hour before the guy got pissed off, admitted it was a scam, and hung up.

I got a call from a group and found this exchange online a little later.

I was only on the phone with them for like ten minutes, because I was tired after work at the hog plant so I used the opportunity to vent about abscess pig corpses. The man on the phone was not pleased.

Docshifty on
    JebusUD wrote: »

"I'm on Windows 3.1, will this still work?"

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    "Sir, if you could just-"

"And then, I'm trying to position the head so I can cut the snout off, and somebody popped the eyeball. So that's running all down the cheek as I'm holding it. I mean, do your job people, how easy is it to decapitate a body?"

"Uhhhh...."

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Not job stuff but I don't understand money. I was behind on my credit card payments a bit, so when I got a good check I tossed $361 at it to make my account current. That was 2 weeks ago, now my statement for this month just got emailed to me, and my amount is back up to over what it was before I paid $361 and my new MINIMUM is $464. How does that even work.

How did you pay, and check the date of the bill. If you sent a check it could take 3 or 4 days for them to receive it, 3 or 4 days for them to process it, and depending on the company and/or circumstances another 3 or 4 days to apply to your account. The bill you received may have been printed before the check was applied.

If you paid by a different card or online, call their customer service ASAP. Odds are, because you're poor, they think they can swindle you with an "accidental" error and hoping you wouldn't notice or know any better.

Veevee on
This discussion has been closed.