As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The SE++ International Orchestra [Instrument Thread]

CelloCello Registered User regular
edited September 2015 in Social Entropy++
Fellow forumer! Do you feel warmth for woodwinds? Sentiment for strings? Keenness for keys? Then this thread is for you.

I've owned my ukulele for a year and a half. I picked it up after I tried to re-learn the guitar ten years after the last time I'd played one, before realizing I wasn't having fun doing the same things over again (but worse). I've fallen in love with this little thing and have gotten a ton more skilled since I started taking lessons at the start of the summer!

20140622_114616.jpg

It's a Kala KA-15S with a pattern I laser-cut onto the surface (I can't find a better photo at the moment that actually shows detail). I'd like to get a new uke sometime soon that has a bit of a better sound, but for $60 it has been a pretty great learner instrument!

The sombrero cat is not included.

I also picked up an Ocarina (of Time) at PAX Prime last weekend. I'm not very good at it!

Tell us about what instruments you own, want to learn or maybe even play us a song or two!

Steam
3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
Cello on

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    so you're saying you don't play the cello?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    so you're saying you don't play the cello?

A ukulele is like a tiny version of a cello....right?

Steam
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah they're basically the same thing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I played the trumpet years ago

Doot

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I want to learn the ukulele! Every few weeks I remind myself to start and then promptly forget to.

Meanwhile I play the bass... passably I guess.

Veldrin on
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I want to learn the ukulele! Every few weeks I remind myself to start and then promptly forget to.

Meanwhile I play the bass... passably I guess.

If you just want to learn the basics, Ukulele Underground has some excellent play-alongs and basic lessons. I pretty much got by just learning with his videos and other Youtube song tutorials for the first year or so.

I've gotten better much, much faster with the help of my uke teacher though; it helps that I'd feel guilty not practicing between lessons, so I end up playing it a lot more in my spare time too. If you can find the time I definitely suggest finding someone in your area!

Steam
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I played the trumpet/cornet for a decade in a brass band and have recently switched to horn. I don't consider myself a musician though. I only know one and a bit scales and I just play what's on the sheet in front of me.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to pick up the bass, I got rocksmith and made some progress on that (the mini games are actually hella useful to teach you basic technique) but it wasn't until I got a proper amp I realized how sloppy I was and decided to burn it all down and build it back up. I haven't touched it in at least a month cause I've had other stuff I needed to work on, plus well, video games.

I've finally gotten around to checking out Death Feom Above 1979 and damn if it doesn't give me the itch to play.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I want to learn to play...the ocarina.

Or a harmonica.

Something I can carry around easily.

b1ehrMM.gif
    I'd like to play a instrument that I can sing along with. Can't exactly sing if you're playing a wind instrument.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'd like to play a instrument that I can sing along with. Can't exactly sing if you're playing a wind instrument.

Have I got the instrument for you!

Y2AWfju.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Or a harmonica.

WASHBOARD

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I played the euphonium for a few years in junior high. I wanted to play the trumpet but the band teacher was a dick and I suspect he stuck me with the baby tuba because I was the only one who could carry it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Or a harmonica.

WASHBOARD

SPOONS

Y2AWfju.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jpr3oe96JU
    One day this will be me, but with awful singing as well.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I actually picked my cello back up recently and one of the pegs is seized up good, I'm not sure how to loosen it besides take it to a professional and I haven't gotten around to it yet.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I played trumpet in high school and rather liked it. But since then I've only ever lived in apartments, so I haven't played in over 9 years. I really want to get back into it at some point.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Y2AWfju.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jpr3oe96JU
    One day this will be me, but with awful singing as well.

Is this where Lindsay Sterling got her inspiration from?

edited September 2015
    TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    I play the flute! I like playing classical and video game music.

steam_sig.png
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I played the bassoon in high school. Bassoons are cool.

Also the violin, piano and bass.

Also it's been so long I've all but forgotten how to read music. But now I have an electric piano and my dad's old pianola that I also don't play. Maybe once I move...

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I've never played an instrument, though I've always wanted to try piano or something like it

I have, however, always had a love for orchestral movie scores

It's probably my preferred music for most activities

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i played both flute and piano.

both poorly.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is the extent of my instrumental talent:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dcMKQc7PtlU

YL9WnCY.png
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I picked Saxophone in 6th grade and stuck with it all through high school. I kinda wish I chose a different instrument with more interesting parts in symphonic and classical music, because I don't like jazz at all. Maybe a brass instrument, because reeds are the worst. I don't like the way wood feels on my tongue. Although an Oboe or Bassoon would at least be interesting...

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    i played both clarinet and piano.

both poorly.

This was I. This was me. This was the quoter of this post.

I can still play Flower Girl in the Slums on piano though

RMS Oceanic on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I played bass for a while years ago.

The end.

CYpGAPn.png
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I play guitar, saxophone and recently got a drum kit again after 10 or so years of not playing the drums.

I'm sure if I just did one of those things I would be better at it than trying to do all of them, but here we are.

Also, I fancy trying the trumpet some day.

A Koto is sorta kinda maybe a little bit like a guzheng, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm2glu3WLGk

I was terrible at the guitar when I "learned" it for about a year or so back in the 7th grade. My partner Amy plays the flute, she was in the high school band and all that stuff.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I learned long ago how to play the cello and violin, moved onto the guitar and other Instruments.

I got rocksmith to keep myself playing the guitar rather than just staring at it's case.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

A Koto is sorta kinda maybe a little bit like a guzheng, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm2glu3WLGk

Oh so I guess all Far East Asian Instruments sound the same to you, huh?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited September 2015
    Anyone know how to play one of these? They're pretty cool. I wish I remembered what they were called...

J3K7CPU.jpg

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm pretty terrible at playing guitar but I love practicing anyway.

I have a cheap Ibanez GIO series and a Peavy Vypyr VIP-1 (which I hate and wish I had bought a VOX instead) amp.

wut962te0xt7.jpg

Xaquin on
    5ePXSVl.png

steam_sig.png
    Yes Geth, it is shiny.

steam_sig.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Flaunt that flute!

Flute that flaunt

Float that flount

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    The two instruments I have probably gotten the most use out of are my Melodica and double ocarina.

This is probably the nicest video I've made with both of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3YbHUSALJI&ab_channel=Goatmon

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I played the trumpet in school, then loaned it to my cousin while he went to school. Now I have it back, but I have a hard time practicing as it drives my dogs crazy. One of them sticks his nose up the bell to investigate, and then tries to gently take the trumpet from my hands, as If to say "no, no you cannot have this anymore"

also I can't hear the phrase "International Orchestra" without remembering the start of the a capella breakdown in Moxy Fruvous' King of Spain

and then I get a little sad because I really liked their Bargainville album but now my enjoyment of it is tainted by the knowledge of what a colossal abusive turdscooter Jian Ghomeshi turned out to be

Fearghaill wrote: »
    I played the trumpet in school, then loaned it to my cousin while he went to school. Now I have it back, but I have a hard time practicing as it drives my dogs crazy. One of them sticks his nose up the bell to investigate, and then tries to gently take the trumpet from my hands, as If to say "no, no you cannot have this anymore"

This is friggin' adorable.

cdci44qazyo3.gif