As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pages not updating when using Back button

I don't know if this was an intentional change, but I haven't seen anything about it.

The entire time we've been on Vanilla, if I hit Back, I'm taken back to the previous page I was on, but forum content would update (read counts would update, threads would re-order based on most-recent post, etc) somehow.

As of this morning though, I'm not seeing that anymore. If I navigate back, I get the page as it was when I viewed it before, then refreshing will get me the new state.

Is this a bug?

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I'm having the same problem on both my computer and phone.

Both running Chrome

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    My iPhone has always done this, but it just started today on my desktop running Chrome.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    For the record, I am seeing it on Chrome and Firefox, both on two different machines, as well as my Android phone running Chrome

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Opera has always done this but for me it started last night on the default android browser.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Possibly related but I tried to preview a post that was edited from a quoted post and it reloaded all the original quoted text and did no preview. Further attempts to preview did absolutely nothing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I am getting this both on Firefox (Desktop) and whatever default browser is on my Android HTC One phone (not Chrome).

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I'm getting it and liking it on my Android 5.1.1 with Chrome browser.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The 'back' button now loads browser cache rather than refreshing the page, its intentional.

• Options
    That's a bummer, is there a setting somewhere in my browser that could help?

I can move this to PM if it is outside the scope of this board.

• Options
    =(

• Options
    Is anyone opposed to me writing extensions to restore this functionality for myself?

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Also seeing this.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Iruka wrote: »
    The 'back' button now loads browser cache rather than refreshing the page, its intentional.

E: if its intentional, I understand. I'm just hoping no one will get angry if I emulate the old behavior manually. =/

Delmain on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hmmm, on the one hand, going back to a forum index or bookmarks page will no longer update. On the other, does that mean that now if I go to the #latest page, then the next page, then hit Back, it will properly take me to the previous page instead of the next #latest?
    Because that was a minor annoyance, even if it made perfect sense once I thought about how it was doing it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, if you go from the bookmarks page to a thread with, say, 200 unread posts and show up on page 41, then hit next page, you'll be on 42. If you hit back from there, you'll be on 41 again, instead of 43.

You can still go to that thread, be on page 41 (with #latest as the location), then refresh over and over to advance one page at a time, and that's really whats important.

I just wrote an addon that refreshes the bookmarks page for me automatically if I'm navigating to it for any reason and it's been more than 2 seconds.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh. Hmmm. I thought Chrome had just done some weird update on my phone. I don't suppose there's any chance the previous behavior could be restored just for like, the Bookmarks page? Wherein there's not really much of a point in seeing out-of-date info ever.

Also, I just got used to the #latest behavior two months ago or so. I like this better for that, even if I have to unlearn the new habits :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this is a bummer. Thought maybe it was a Chrome update, but I guess not.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's better because now you can get paging happening in a "logical" fashion. I am used to it now and so have to unlearn, but hitting back and going forward to a new unread page was not ideal.

Much better to have it not refresh, you can always tell it to refresh yourself, while before it was mandatory.

(Still getting used to it. :lol:)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    I only don't like it for the bookmarks page and forum and subforum main pages. Those are what my extension auto-refreshes, so honestly I'm pretty okay with it

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I actually only care about it for my phone, which the extension won't help for. On a desktop, I use tabs :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    yeah, I think I'm going to switch to mobile firefox because addons work for it

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Right now i'm getting a thing where if I go Back it keeps the same scroll position from the page I left onto the page i'm going back to. This is usually the complete bottom of the page because threads have a lot more scroll room than the category pages. Prior behavior was that it would just return to whatever page position I was at when I was last on that page.

E: Nevermind, actually. I reloaded Firefox and it stopped happening. I should have tried that in the first place before saying anything.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Did this just get reverted?

• Options
    Sorta? I noticed it working liked it used to on my home computer, but not mobile or at work, weird.

• Options
    Hmm, I thought it was reverted in general but it looks like only on Firefox? It's still working the new way (no refreshed data on back button press) on Chrome.