As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red's Animation Thread

EndlessRedEndlessRed Registered User new member
I've been animating one-off videos for a while now, and I'm trying to commit to adding videos to my portfolio on a regular basis. I'll be trying to release a new video once every two weeks for the foreseeable future. Here's the first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2F0yT5YTHk

I welcome any and all feedback. I've already been given a bit for this one. I'll keep the camera more stable from now on instead of going for shaky cam, and I've worked out some of the bugs with my motion capture. Anything else?

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey man, welcome to the AC.

The shakey cam is very distracting, but I would say the animation in general is pretty jerky and not very fluid.

What sort of portfolio are you trying to put together? If your goal is to just make funny youtube content, I think the timing and the humor are probably more important than the actual quality of animation. If you want to be a good animator there's a lot of work to be done here, but I cant actually get down into the technical aspects of 3D because I 1)was never great at it, and 2) Haven't done it in ages. I can talk about motion in a more general sense though.

The models feel completely rooted to the ground and the animation feels stiff, which sorta works for the NPC but I feel like your guy could be way more alive, especially at the end.

• EndlessRedEndlessRed Registered User new member
    Thanks Iruka! I would say the portfolio would be mainly for writing and comedy production, but I would like to improve on my animation and visual storytelling with each video as well. Either way, I feel like the only way I'll improve is to just keep making more. It forces me to learn.

After this video I found a way to smooth out motion capture quite a bit, which I'm incorporating into the video I'm producing right now. I didn't even realize how rooted to the ground I've been keeping the characters, though, so thank you for pointing that out. This next one mainly has two people standing next to each other talking, but I'll make sure to improve blocking and movement in the third one I work on.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    That's good info!

The improvement of animation will help with the gags. Right now, the joke really falls flat at the end for me. I think that the timing is a little off (it may go on one beat too long?) but also without a strong visual to help play it up it, you get it at the first "what did I miss?" and the funny voice doesn't really add to the joke much. \

I think alot of the structure in this vid is good though, but comedy is something you want to edit hard to make those jokes land. What are your influences comedy wise? Are you in any classes or anything?