As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSA: Scam outside convention building

DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
Some dudes outside the center pulling the old here take this CD, oh let me sign that for you, hey you have to buy this cd because i ruined it.

Do not take anything from them or feel like you need to pay if they trick you.

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    I had that artist thrust a cd in to my hand then demand a "donation" for it, I decided and gave it back - give him a wide berth.

• Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, they got me with that last year. Too bad for them I only had $5 cash on me at the time.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Great PSA! Really annoying w the CD scam, almost got me but a friend saved me. Best thing to do is ignore them

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    I almost got taken by the guys handing out codes for some music download site where the 'donations' supposedly go to helping kids get school supplies. The rapid fire delivery doesn't really mention that they want one right then and there. I handed it back saying that I didn't have any cash on me and my plastic is back at the hotel room.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    Also I think the "Buddhists" taking donations for their temple is a scam to, I've seen them in SF and read about how someone followed them afterwards to find out they're not as they appear. If anyone's knows more correct me though.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    The area outside the WSCC is littered with a whole clutch of people who are very aggressive and demanding. Everything from homeless beggers, ticket scalps and charity collectors are swarming around the WSCC entrance like bees to a honey pot. I believe something needs to be done about them as eventually there will be a serious incident.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    kropotkin wrote: »
    The area outside the WSCC is littered with a whole clutch of people who are very aggressive and demanding. Everything from homeless beggers, ticket scalps and charity collectors are swarming around the WSCC entrance like bees to a honey pot. I believe something needs to be done about them as eventually there will be a serious incident.

I'd suggest someone talk to a concierge at the Con or have PA do it to have them call the police to enforce. In the meantime, grabbing a video for social media never hurts, since the Mayor vetoed an anti-aggressive panhandling bill recently because it wasn't politically correct. I doubt he's ever been on Pike Street during a convention, so I'm sure that he's got loads of experience in the matter.

EDIT: The reason that they're often asking for 'donations' is because it's illegal to sell items without a business license. You're always perfectly welcome to take it and just walk away without paying them. Have a friend film it on their phone if you're safety conscious. That'd work.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yesterday afternoon there were some SPD officers posted outside of the main entrance. I think that alone helped clear out a lot of the undesirables.

• Options
    xHeavYxxHeavYx WA StateRegistered User regular
    I see those people on my way to the gym everyday. Same with those people asking to join their cause, so I've become a master at avoiding them.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    xHeavYx wrote: »
    I see those people on my way to the gym everyday. Same with those people asking to join their cause, so I've become a master at avoiding them.

Yup, they surround Westlake daily, it's not just a PAX thing. Promise.

The only real PAX-specific thing in the area is the scalpers. All the rest of that is just...Seattle.

• Options
    Can I just say this again, because WHAT. THE. FUCK. The Mayor vetoed an anti-aggressive panhandling bill recently because it wasn't politically correct.

• Options
    jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    Can I just say this again, because WHAT. THE. FUCK. The Mayor vetoed an anti-aggressive panhandling bill recently because it wasn't politically correct.

Were those his exact words?

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I am aces at ignoring those people. I just pretend that surely they must not be talking to me and walk right past them.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    edited September 2015

Were those his exact words?

No, it was something along the lines of that the proposal didn't create the kind of solution that he was looking for.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Yeah I encountered these two. I have had a few people in different cities do the whole "demo CD" thing to me, and I just got a shitty disc out of it with some links on it to donate to them online. These guys were in it for the hard sell.

No cash? Use the ATM over there
    Not American? No prob we take all kinds of foreign currency
    Not into rap (oddly enough the most common genre I've encountered from "demo CD" pushers)? It's totally not a rap CD

Basically just resulted in me having to aggressively say good luck with your endeavors, but I'm not interested. If I had known this was an actual scam and not just some pushy assholes, I would have reported it.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    The one that really rose flags for me was the "Get in a random shuttle and be taken somewhere to play indie games." Maybe it was completely legit, but with all the other shit that goes on outside the WSCC, that just felt like the perfect way to really screw some people over.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    That sounded like a scene out of a particularly nerdy Hostel 4.

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    The one that really rose flags for me was the "Get in a random shuttle and be taken somewhere to play indie games." Maybe it was completely legit, but with all the other shit that goes on outside the WSCC, that just felt like the perfect way to really screw some people over.

I don't know about indy games, but Boss Key was loading up folks into unmarked vans and bussing them over to Capitol Hill to play Law Breakers. You only knew about it ahead of time if you follow their people on social media. That's where attendees were getting the "BREAK FREE" shirts from.

• Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hah my friends and I got in that van (don't tell our mothers); unfortunately we didn't get to play Lawbreakers since we were told a 20 min wait and 40 mins later we were still 2 groups away from being called up. It was nice to Hagen a quiet place to sit, though, and the devs mingling around seemed really nice.

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular

I wouldn't do that anywhere for any reason, PAX or otherwise.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    Headhunter wrote: »

I wouldn't do that anywhere for any reason, PAX or otherwise.

If Cliff Bleszinski was driving I would.