As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" [Time Travel]

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I prefer my explanations of the tech in sci-fi movies to be pretty curt. "We don't know how it works and it's not really important"

Basically "Oh a magic door!"

https://youtu.be/3r5Ynz-a7Io?t=1m46s

Wait, are timestamps working with embeds now?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Ah, finally. Strange Attractors is the title of that book I read so very long ago. Thank you.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I prefer my explanations of the tech in sci-fi movies to be pretty curt. "We don't know how it works and it's not really important"

Basically "Oh a magic door!"

https://youtu.be/3r5Ynz-a7Io?t=1m46s

I love detailed explanations of sci-fi shit! I don't care if it makes sense, just give me more of it!

I mean I love it too

I just don't have tiiiiiiiiime for it (yuk yuk)

seriously though if you spend more time making a robust and interesting time travel mechanic than robust and interesting characters then you are not making a good science fiction story you are making a text book.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Changing time always creates a divergent universe different from the one you originated from. Returning to original universe is impossible because every instance of time travel will create a divergent universe

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Alternatively, you can return to the past as many times as you want, you'll just never succeed in changing anything since everything you've done has already happened.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    There's an obvious issue with Time Traveler's Immunity, though. Say you walk up a set of stairs to get to a time portal, use it to go to the past, change the past so that the stairs were never built, and then return to right after you left. Due to Time Traveler's Immunity, this doesn't prevent you from reaching the time portal in exactly the same amount of time as it would have if you hadn't changed the past.

But then, what the heck did everyone else see you doing when you were climbing the stairs? Did you leave to grab a ladder but then suddenly disappear and blink into place at the portal? Did you climb the stairs anyway, leaving others seeing you walking on thin air? Does the version of you that never reached the portal continue to exist?

At first glance the third case sounds like Time Traveler's Immunity would rule it out, but I have another example.

Say you're offered a choice between a cheeseburger and a hamburger, with a friend getting the other one. You choose the cheeseburger and eat it, while your friend eats the hamburger. You then travel back in time, granting both yourself and the cheeseburger immunity (if you don't think that inanimate objects can be given immunity (but apparently clothes and inventory contents can for some reason), assume that you and your friend are snakes, and the cheeseburger and the hamburger are instead a live rat and hamster). While you're in the past, you make sure that you eat the hamburger and your friend eats the cheeseburger. When you get back to the present, what's in your friend's stomach? It can't be the hamburger since you changed the past, but it also can't be the cheeseburger that you ate since the cheeseburger has immunity. Either there are now two cheeseburgers, or timespace shenanigans will have resulted in the cheeseburger having ended up in your stomach anyway at the moment you left.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    The fan interpretations of Chrono Trigger wound up using something they called Time Bastard.

Basically, if you time travel and change the past, the alternate version of you (or, if you want to get technical, the matter that traveled through time), vanishes, regardless of position, at the same point in time that you time travelled, so as to conserve the amount of matter in the universe.

Which is really fucked up if you think about it.

Enlong on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Alternatively, you can return to the past as many times as you want, you'll just never succeed in changing anything since everything you've done has already happened.

Exactly. Time is a dimension, so cause and effect are actually kind of the same thing, if you look at it in a certain way.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Changing time always creates a divergent universe different from the one you originated from. Returning to original universe is impossible because every instance of time travel will create a divergent universe

Or it doesn't because it's not real and it can be whatever you want.

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lars wrote: »
    ...because it basically means every decision in your entire life is pre-determined and you're acting out the motions...
    But that's what's happening tho.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

Or it doesn't because it's not real and it can be whatever you want.

I'll admit the Back To The Future version of 'look things will turn out fine in the end time just kinda works it out' is my favorite

but if I ever have to use time travel as a mechanic in a narrative or game it's going to be the first one because otherwise you will just go crazy

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    This thread isn't because of that time travel short in the youtube thread is it

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    What if...

Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space???

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Zonugal wrote: »
    What if...

Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space???

If love transcends time and space, then why do you feel so empty inside when everyone who will ever really care about you is dead?

Edit: Though I suppose it could be that love is capable of transcending time and space, but the people who care about you just kind of suck at it.

jothki on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    What if...

If love transcends time and space, then why do you feel so empty inside when everyone who will ever really care about you is dead?

Why would I feel empty inside when remembering those who impacted me before unifying with the single most ordered aspect of existence?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Yo I heard you guys were talking about time travel so I registered an account twelve years ago.

• Options
    What if...

Why would I feel empty inside when remembering those who impacted me before unifying with the single most ordered aspect of existence?

No, that's actually an increase in entropy.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Does Bioshock Infinite count as time travel?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrzI3lVzQnM&ab_channel=trailerman123

This time travel movie is really good. It's in Spanish, just in case that bothers anyone. The guy goes from not getting time travel at all ("Who is that guy with my wife that looks just like me!? Is she cheating on me with someone that looks just like me!?") to having everything memorized and getting shit done by the fourth or fifth round. It's also a great film to watch a second time to see how it all fits.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Chrono Trigger runs on Back to the Future-rules.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Yo I heard you guys were talking about time travel so I registered an account twelve years ago.

Lol, noob

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    This isn't how the thread is supposed to progress... Something's changed....

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I've always had an idea that you can't change the past because if you travel back and do something, you were already there when it first happened so you being there was always a part of the past.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    best time travel movie:

twelve_monkeys_ver1.jpg

That's not s time travel movie. That's a schizophrenia movie.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I traveled here through time from the year of my birth to tell you guys to stay based

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    If I were to tell you now what we would be talking about in page 3 of this thread, the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I am currently travelling forward in time at a rate of 1 second per second.

broken image link
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Let me get on my tachyonic antitelephone

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I am currently travelling forward in time at a rate of 1 second per second.

SLOW DOWN

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I own this shirt

qw-cheatsheet.jpg

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    All you need to know about time travel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3Bz6cIPiw

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I particularly like stories in which modern people go back in time and bring their tech with them, generally resulting in a clash between different technological levels.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Durkhanus wrote: »
    Ah, finally. Strange Attractors is the title of that book I read so very long ago. Thank you.

I read a bunch of William Sleator's books when I was younger. I actually had to Google him to get the right title for that one.

He actually wrote a bunch of interesting Sci-Fi for young adults. One called Singularity involves a pair of twins discovering a room where time moves much faster than outside of it, and what they do with it.

It depends on the model of time travel that you're using, but this is always a frightening possibility of the alternate timelines theory and it rarely seems to be brought up. Unless your time machine can somehow travel sideways to go between alternate timelines, you'll likely never be able to return to your original timeline again, and so everyone that knew you will just think you disappeared one day.
    There's an obvious issue with Time Traveler's Immunity, though. Say you walk up a set of stairs to get to a time portal, use it to go to the past, change the past so that the stairs were never built, and then return to right after you left. Due to Time Traveler's Immunity, this doesn't prevent you from reaching the time portal in exactly the same amount of time as it would have if you hadn't changed the past.

But then, what the heck did everyone else see you doing when you were climbing the stairs? Did you leave to grab a ladder but then suddenly disappear and blink into place at the portal? Did you climb the stairs anyway, leaving others seeing you walking on thin air? Does the version of you that never reached the portal continue to exist?

At first glance the third case sounds like Time Traveler's Immunity would rule it out, but I have another example.

Say you're offered a choice between a cheeseburger and a hamburger, with a friend getting the other one. You choose the cheeseburger and eat it, while your friend eats the hamburger. You then travel back in time, granting both yourself and the cheeseburger immunity (if you don't think that inanimate objects can be given immunity (but apparently clothes and inventory contents can for some reason), assume that you and your friend are snakes, and the cheeseburger and the hamburger are instead a live rat and hamster). While you're in the past, you make sure that you eat the hamburger and your friend eats the cheeseburger. When you get back to the present, what's in your friend's stomach? It can't be the hamburger since you changed the past, but it also can't be the cheeseburger that you ate since the cheeseburger has immunity. Either there are now two cheeseburgers, or timespace shenanigans will have resulted in the cheeseburger having ended up in your stomach anyway at the moment you left.

There are multiple solutions. For one, you'll end up with time duplicates (ie. the you that couldn't go up the stairs never time traveled and is still there, while the you returning from the past has immunity and so did not vanish). Then the rules of your story can determine what happens to time duplicates (ie. nothing, they instantly vanish, they're fated to die, etc.). Another possibility is that you do end up with a paradox, but it's up to the ruleset if that paradox is a big enough deal to have serious repercussions or just a minor blip that doesn't really make a lot of sense if you think about it.

It also depends on if you want to bring the conservation of matter and energy into the equation, which it rarely is for these stories (Especially the alternate timeline ones because in that one you're managing to create an entire alternate universe out of essentially nothing).
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    If I were to tell you now what we would be talking about in page 3 of this thread, the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

We're going to be talking about Felicity.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Stargate SG-1 has almost all the best time travel episodes of any sci-fi show (excepting shows dedicated to time travel, at least).

I loved that the two-part series finale was almost "oops we used time travel and broke everything now we have to fix it!"

Seriously, SG-1's time travel stuff is really, really great. All of them.

That one season finale that ends with "Okay, I'm confused. So does this mean we're going back in time?"

"No, the other us went back in time and broke stuff, but they wanted to leave a message so someone else could go back in time and fix it."

"Okay so what do we have to do to fix it?"

"If everything on the tape was accurate, I think we ...already fixed it?"

"So... we're good? Let's go fishing."

And then there were still changes and honestly that was such a great two-parter.

Also I think it's great that almost any time that they use time travel and/or alternate dimensions, Daniel almost always dies.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    You watched the Back to the Future marathon this week too, haven't you

Actually the idea for this thread came from a post I was going to make in the movie thread. Some people were posting their controversial movie opinions, and I was going to say my controversial movie opinion was that I actually liked talking about time travel mechanics from movies. But then I thought maybe that wouldn't be that controversial and other people would want to talk about it to so I made a thread.
    Is this the place to complain about how shitty of a time travel story Chrono Trigger is? Because seriously, just look at it.

What I want to see is a time travel story where someone travels between their present and thousands of years in the past, and every time they go back to the present, everything ends up being completely different.

I've never actually played Chrono Trigger, which is kind of bizarre since my favorite game is Final Fantasy VI. I do own the PS1 version, I just haven't ever gotten around to playing it.
    Uriel wrote: »
    Speaking of amusing time travel stories.

Dirk gently's holistic detective agency is a really good book.

I read that in high school, but sadly can't remember much from it anymore. I should track it down again.
    Let me tell you about a time traveler who's stuck in a time warp

(Zordon)

With the mention of time cops in the OP, I kind of expected...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OHh2wZ26Ns

WHY ARE THEY CALLED THE TIME FORCE IF THEY ONLY HAVE ONE TIME SHIP AND THEIR WHOLE THING IS STOPPING MUTANTS IN THE PRESENT

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, this was from a year or so back but I was just reminded of it a few days ago-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkBS4O3yvY

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The neatest thing about the theory of relativity, IMO, is time dilation.

Because even though FTL travel isn't possible according to Einstein, if we ever figure out a way to go near the speed of light, significantly measurable travel through time in the forward direction becomes possible.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Let me get on my tachyonic antitelephone

Oh shit that got invented already this time around?!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The neatest thing about the theory of relativity, IMO, is time dilation.

Because even though FTL travel isn't possible according to Einstein, if we ever figure out a way to go near the speed of light, significantly measurable travel through time in the forward direction becomes possible.

Queen has a wonderful song about time dilation called '39. It's about an astronaut who goes out in space traveling at near light-speed and when he comes home, due to time dilation he's only 1 year older, but 100 years have passed on Earth.

cdci44qazyo3.gif