As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Love] Thread: discussing the major online dating services (OKC, PoF, Match, WoW)

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Ohh, references. Anyways, it was my birthday gift to myself and I'm real happy about it.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I bought myself the gift of indigestion this morning. Can't say I love it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I had a pot pie for breakfast
    I could do better

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I couldn't sleep so instead I decided I'd surprise my girlfriend with breakfast. It was the right choice, but now she is at work and I'm like :|

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Ohh, references. Anyways, it was my birthday gift to myself and I'm real happy about it.

What'd you get?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Hey @Cambiata its really lovely to hear you've found someone so nice you're moving in with.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Dys wrote: »
    Got to act as sort of a mediator between my best friend and her new-ish boyfriend at a get together last night. Everything was fine until he overreacted to a conversation beat and loudly starting accused her of lying about a situation he was kind of making up out of his emotional state.

I don't want to give any strong opinions to her on the matter and let her decide for herself...but less than a month into a relationship and fights happening is a very bad thing, right?

Oh hey I have direct experience with this exact scenario!

She should get the fuck out right now!

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Got to act as sort of a mediator between my best friend and her new-ish boyfriend at a get together last night. Everything was fine until he overreacted to a conversation beat and loudly starting accused her of lying about a situation he was kind of making up out of his emotional state.

I don't want to give any strong opinions to her on the matter and let her decide for herself...but less than a month into a relationship and fights happening is a very bad thing, right?

Yeah, I'm probably going to voice my opinion that she should do that, then.

The issue was something so inconsequential, too. Details in the spoiler so I'm not being vague or accidentally making this sound worse than it is.
    There were about seven of us at a bonfire at my friend's house, and when the only guy there that smokes pot offered her a hit, she said yes for the sake of "why not." She has maybe tried pot once or twice years ago, and has never regularly smoked anything. The new boyfriend of hers had been knew this.

Said new boyfriend proceeded to storm off without saying anything. She caught up to him to see if he was okay, and while they were definitely within earshot of the group he starts his loud argument, with his cause being "You told me you don't smoke. What the fuck else are you lying to me about."

The guys got some trust issues from a number of past relationships ending due to him being cheated on, but still. The whole thing could have been handled way differently and much better.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Hey Cambiata its really lovely to hear you've found someone so nice you're moving in with.

Thanks! We've actually been living together since he came to visit in... April was it? Strikor came to visit and neither of us wanted him to leave.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Oh, also other update:

My boyfriend is looking for work, as I mentioned before, but he's specifically trying to find work he can do remotely (he's a programmer, so it's not hard to find such work)... Because he's hopefully going to be able to move here! We're sort of pencilling in next year as when that's likely to happen, but he's also keeping an eye out for work over here that would be sufficient for him as well.

So that's pretty exciting! A way off, indeed, but we've talked about it as a serious inevitability and something that we want to do!

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular

The issue was something so inconsequential, too. Details in the spoiler so I'm not being vague or accidentally making this sound worse than it is.
    There were about seven of us at a bonfire at my friend's house, and when the only guy there that smokes pot offered her a hit, she said yes for the sake of "why not." She has maybe tried pot once or twice years ago, and has never regularly smoked anything. The new boyfriend of hers had been knew this.

Said new boyfriend proceeded to storm off without saying anything. She caught up to him to see if he was okay, and while they were definitely within earshot of the group he starts his loud argument, with his cause being "You told me you don't smoke. What the fuck else are you lying to me about."

The guys got some trust issues from a number of past relationships ending due to him being cheated on, but still. The whole thing could have been handled way differently and much better.

as somebody who doesn't smoke pot, that seems pretty needlessly agressive. at the least.

• Options
    PassionateLoviePassionateLovie Registered User regular
    So I'm getting ready for my second date. My mom still hasn't accepted that fact I'm not just dating men so I didn't tell her today I'm going with a lady so she's been warning me to be careful and safe and telling me horror stories about serial killers.... =.= what a lovely way to start off a second date!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I spent a lot of time talking about serial killers on my second date too! We discussed the contrast between the legacy of Jack the Ripper and HH Holmes (also a bit on the Zodiac killer, I think). It was really inter-

Wait, I think you're talking about something different.

• Options
    My mom was warning me about serial killers :p Me and my date have talked about a bunch of ghost stuff and scary things though about pokemon, she's fun to talk to :3 I totally forgot how creepy some pokemon lore is....

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Life is complicated, Love Thread. I decided to give a tentative yes to opening up our relationship after a lot of talk.

I'm not sure if I'm making the right decisions or not. I don't really know if this will work for me or if it will turn me into a paranoid wreck.

But I figure it's better to know sooner rather than later. I trust my fiance and I love her and I want this to improve our life together.

But still, even though I can identify a lot of my emotions as being rooted in crappy patriarchal upbringing, they're still there. So I'm excruciatingly nervous and I have no idea what I'm going to do with this new situation.

Yay for love?

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

What'd you get?

.222 Kriegeskorte & Co with a scope. Babby's first big boy rifle.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    So I am looking at wedding bands for myself today. Looks like they come in 3 types.

Absurdly expensive, super nerdy, and repurposed car part.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Life is complicated, Love Thread. I decided to give a tentative yes to opening up our relationship after a lot of talk.

I'm not sure if I'm making the right decisions or not. I don't really know if this will work for me or if it will turn me into a paranoid wreck.

But I figure it's better to know sooner rather than later. I trust my fiance and I love her and I want this to improve our life together.

But still, even though I can identify a lot of my emotions as being rooted in crappy patriarchal upbringing, they're still there. So I'm excruciatingly nervous and I have no idea what I'm going to do with this new situation.

Yay for love?

Just make sure you're being honest with yourself and being true to her about how you feel about the situation. If you find that you aren't into it, you need to talk to her about it. I went through a very similar thing in my last relationship.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Rainfall wrote: »

Yay for love?

This is one thing where you really have to continue to be honest with yourself and your partner through everything, because it's not worth making yourself miserable to make someone else happy. Support your partner, but trust that they probably also want what's best for you, just as much as you want what's best for them, so don't try and bottle everything up for their sake. Unfortunately, there's a very real chance that this difference between you may just result in deciding that you're both better off not being together.

Javen on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    @Dys the new guy was probably justified in his....apprehension (we'll go with that), but his reaction was both too big and too soon. A measured, delayed (like at another time) response of "hey so you said this and I noticed that and I was just wondering...sup?" would have been a perfectly reasonable reaction.

This guy's acting like he's in a soap opera. That way lies disaster.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I always try to act like I'm in a space opera

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Well space operas are awesome

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Someone brought up this song in the time travel thread, it's a bit of a love song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8kGMfXaFU

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I'm so fucking anxious right now i don't even want to leave the house to go see my therapist. HAHAHAHAHA :(

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular

I can't explain why I'm putting this in a spoiler I just sometimes feel more comfortable with my serious posts in a spoiler.
    IMO he'd need to vehemently apologize and she'd have to put a lot of trust that it won't turn out to be any sort of regular thing

That reaction is just crazily disproportionate to the issue at hand and if that's just how he handles shit when he gets insecure that's a giant problem and could lead to worse things down the road

A lot of people I love very much were the victims of abuse (verbal, emotional, physical, sexual) and that's not shit I play around with.

In your exact situation, if this girl were my friend, I would say unless he's super amazing and seems super remorseful and is willing to reflect on his shit and how it affects her then that's just gonna end up toxic for her and she can certainly find someone more in control of themselves and their emotions

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

See that's what I thought of the first few fights with the guy I was with too. Just an emotional outburst, under a lot of stress, etc. I am liberal with the benefit of the doubt and quick to forgive that kind of thing and holy hell did that set me up for bad things.
    It starts with getting disproportionately upset about what could easily be deemed a misinterpretation of a remark or situation, catching you off guard. It slowly turns into huge fights about something you said or didn't say that you shouldn't have or should have, respectively, depending on what he's trying to be angry about. It will always be a hugely disproportionate response to something in some way imagined in the first place that you have no way of proving.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I'm so fucking anxious right now i don't even want to leave the house to go see my therapist. HAHAHAHAHA :(

Hugs, bro.

• Options
    builderr0r wrote: »
    Well space operas are awesome

Some of these are beautiful

_073.jpg~original_107.jpg~original

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I can't explain why I'm putting this in a spoiler I just sometimes feel more comfortable with my serious posts in a spoiler.
    IMO he'd need to vehemently apologize and she'd have to put a lot of trust that it won't turn out to be any sort of regular thing

That reaction is just crazily disproportionate to the issue at hand and if that's just how he handles shit when he gets insecure that's a giant problem and could lead to worse things down the road

A lot of people I love very much were the victims of abuse (verbal, emotional, physical, sexual) and that's not shit I play around with.

In your exact situation, if this girl were my friend, I would say unless he's super amazing and seems super remorseful and is willing to reflect on his shit and how it affects her then that's just gonna end up toxic for her and she can certainly find someone more in control of themselves and their emotions
    Yeah this sending up huge red flags. "He has trust issues because of a previous relationship" is a common excuse used by a certain type of person, as a way to make their partner "prove" that they're trustworthy. If there were any way to talk to the previous partner and get her side, that would probably be illuminating.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Spoilering this cause I'm really just venting.
    I'm not doing as well with this whole breakup thing as I initially hoped I would.

I'm kind of ashamed to say it but I just feel like somebody took the wind out of my sails. I know it's only been a week and I'm sure that's within the usual time frame for post breakup sads but god this is such a polar opposite of how I usually am it's gotten to the point where people at work are starting to ask me what's up and it's not really something I'm gonna talk about.

Plus I keep seeing her and everytime she walks past me it's like somebody kicked me in the stomach.

I loved loving somebody but goddamn this is not something I particularly want to set myself up for again in the future.

Edit: so I'm contributing something to the thread other than mopes; yeah, I agree with everybody else's current opinion. The fact he'd make such a huge deal out of something while still very much in front of everybody else shows some underlying issues that will absolutely crop up again in the future. She needs to be vurry wary of proceeding.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it feels like all these profiles read so similarly. it's all the same amalgamation of hang out with friends/traveling/watching netflix and I don't find it very interesting so I hardly ever can message anyone.

• Options
    Ugh my family needs to back off. I just want to date and move on with my life. I've been stuck in the past for months and I'm really over it and tired at this point. I had a good time on the date though, untill I got home.... =.=

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Feelings thread, I'm feeling pretty sad at the moment. I've even tried watching this but I am not sure if it's making me feel better or worse

Just... very eager for the next few days to be over. And then to maybe move to like, a cave and become a hermit or something. While bringing my cat with me and also an internet connection.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Feelings thread, I'm feeling pretty sad at the moment. I've even tried watching this but I am not sure if it's making me feel better or worse

Just... very eager for the next few days to be over. And then to maybe move to like, a cave and become a hermit or something. While bringing my cat with me and also an internet connection.

bro emoji

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Some days, you just gotta be sad. Sorry you're having such a rough time though. Hope things turn around soon.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    here cello I'll gift you a dating sim. but first you must answer this question: do you date anime fabio, or green criss angel?

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    here cello I'll gift you a dating sim. but first you must answer this question: do you date anime fabio, or green criss angel?

how do I even choose

is green anime fabio an option?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    it was a trick question, you play the game twice and date both of them
    I'll still gift it you
    once it leaves early access
    and goes on sale
    please look forward to it