As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] (We Are) The Road Crew

LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
edited September 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
https://youtu.be/H71VEV1c_XE

Heshers. Headbangers. Metalheads. Whatever else you sick fucks want to call yourselves. This is the new thread for the next few months and/or years.

From the Dust Returned
A ridiculously prolific blog of Metal reviews curated and principally written by our very own @autothrall

Autothrall's Lists
Looking for metal recommendations? You can find everything from Abigor to Znowhite in here. Thrash, death, black, NWOBHM, doom: pick your poison and Auto will provide the good shit.

Some basic guidelines for people just joining up with us:

-we know that dethklok are the brutalest
-we know that Dragonforce are the noodliest
-we know that Opeth is some craaaazy shit, dog
-we know Varg Vikernes is crazy as fuck and totally stabbed a dude
-we know Behemoth has way too much money to make music videos
-we do, in fact, look down harshly upon Killswitch Engage

PA.fm 2007 review thread
Our first community review blog
July 06 to April 07
June to December 08
January 09 to May 09
May 09 to December 09
December 09 to May 10
May 10 to September 10
July 11 to June 13
June 13 to September 15

Most of this post was directly ripped off from the last thread which I ripped off from @Morgenstern a couple years ago.

steam_sig.png
LoveIsUnity on

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Here's an uplifting tune to get started:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrY1zq-tI3U

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I stand by Mountain Goats Appreciation Station

Goats and John Darnielle are both kvlt as fuck

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    A handful to warm up the new thread and front page:

Iron Maiden - Speed of Light
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F7A24f6gNc

Myrkur - Onde Børn
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaX-xAhTIcY

And, sadly in rather lower video/sound quality, my old mates from Katagory V in one of their last shows (supporting The Iron Maidens, hence the backdrop, and I can be seen in the audience of this one), playing Apologetic Heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yhQVCxwAJs

Jazz on
  • I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    Link to the missing thread in the OP's history.

WASP is coming out with a new album next month. The advance single is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S03jsNAiXY

It sounds exactly the same as last two WASP albums. Nice leads. Blackie sounds tired, though.

BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    That sounds so much like "Crazy" from Babylon it's insane. Same lyrics and everything!

edit: I do like the guy they got on leads, Doug Blair. He's got a very rough edge to his playing that goes well with his tone.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    We can't post the new WASP and not put up Chris Holmes' solo work that's coming out at some point.

http://youtu.be/DqX-BC7ImXU

http://youtu.be/MTIWzgExzAA

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Insomnium (half of them) is playing in KC right now and I'm not there because I'm sick. Blleeeeergghhh, I really wanted to go to buy a "Daughter of the Moon" tee shirt without paying for international shipping. They probably don't have that one there, I'll tell myself.
    ms_insomnium_daughter_of_the_moon_t-shirt.jpg?width=450

Oh man that's a shame. Insomnium is pretty boss live. I've been at their shows a couple times at a music festival in their home town.

edited September 2015
    Well, we're now seeing how it is at lower altitudes... and things aren't getting any better for Motörhead and poor old Lemmy.
    MOTÖRHEAD was forced to cut its concert in Austin, Texas short last night (Tuesday, September 1) due to continued health issues experienced by the band's frontman, Lemmy Kilmister.

According to GlideMagazine.com, MOTÖRHEAD delivered only three songs — "Damage Case", "Stay Clean" and "We Are Motörhead" — before a "fatigued and winded" Lemmy announced the next track, "Metropolis", and then let out a sigh, telling the crowd, "I can't do it." He then left the stage at Emo's with the rest of his band and returned moments later and apologized to a disappointed but supportive audience. He said: "You are one of the best gigs in America, and I would love to play for you, but I can't… So please accept my apologies. Next time, all right?" The house lights and music then came on, before "concerned" and "slightly annoyed" fans began funneling out.

:(

EDIT: and their Sept. 2nd San Antonio show was, unsurprisingly, cancelled (although the gig went ahead with Saxon effectively headlining):
    A brand new message on the MOTÖRHEAD Facebook page reads: "As you might have heard, MOTÖRHEAD again had to abbreviate a performance due to [MOTÖRHEAD frontman] Lemmy not feeling well. This is a DIRECT follow-on from the altitude issues in Colorado, and clearly, Lemmy tried to get back at it too quickly. For this reason, MOTÖRHEAD will not play in San Antonio tonight, but the show will still go on with SAXON headlining. Lemmy will resume duties the moment he is PROPERLY rested and firing on all cylinders again. The legendary Motörheadbanger patience is much appreciated, and the band send their deepest thanks. More details will be released soon."

Their next scheduled show is Sept. 4th, in Dallas.

Jazz on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    In other sort of sad but not really news

https://youtu.be/FYCvRV5ME3w

The omission of Bill Ward is impossible to ignore

• xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Barely out of their teen's..? Who is Teen and why haven't I heard of them?

What a silly typo. :rotate:

What a fucking horrible trailer, as well as lampshading the lack of Bill.

I assume there will be European dates announced later...

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I saw them on their last tour, and it wasn't amazing. Though, holy fuck, they're playing LA on my birthday. That feels like it's a sign.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2015
    I saw them in '99 in their hometown of Birmingham, at what was originally going to be their last show before they decided to carry on. They were on bloody fine form that night. Weird to think that was sixteen years ago and they were only just barely into their fifties at the time. I would like to see them one last time; my mum's actually got a bit into Sabbath in the intervening years so she kinda wants to see them too, mostly for Ozzy but that's a good enough reason. (My mum is awesome, she came to see Iron Maiden at Earl's Court in London on the Brave New World tour in 2000.) Hopefully we'll get to.

Jazz on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    There's nothing more to prove, Lemmy. Take a break, put out records, perform at a festival 1-2 times a year. Stay alive. You are already God.

autothrall on
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Well Morbus Chron just called it quits today...

Just in case any of you guys need cheering up.

edited September 2015
    Well Morbus Chron just called it quits today...

Just in case any of you guys need cheering up.

Saw that and commented on their Facebook. It's sad, but better to only have put out great records than burn out.

Listening to the new Cruciamentum.

This album is also pretty cool, they manipulate that Scandinavian death metal guitar tone into some more atmospheric death/doom, slightly unique structures kind of like Necrovation did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKNolfCr9qc

autothrall on
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Got a scintillating conversational contribution that I'm concerned is lost at the end of the old thread, wait for it:
    Campy wrote: »
    Just ordered my ticket for Nile/Suffocation next Monday. Nile I know, but of Suffocation I know naught - what's the best album to check out?

Are you watching them in Manc?
    Yep.

edited September 2015
    Nostalgia-tripping Satanic She-Doom for fans of Blood Ceremony and Jex Thoth. The album is pretty good overall, creative. Warning, the video is not entirely safe for work, a little blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2XA7xPx-5A

autothrall on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Oh, Kowloon Walled City are to drop a new album! :3 They have a sneak peek track up, and apparently recruited a new drummer from some The New Trust band, in their local scene? I kinda like this new thing, it's sort of sludgy (as is their usual MO) but more on the side of noise rock than just h e a v y imo. Deliciously melodic and some quirky beats, that Unwound reference in the article isn't all too off...

edited September 2015
    I'd put up a nice picture of my Book of Souls vinyl that showed up right on time today, but two of my cats decided to try and kill each other and I got my hands rather torn up trying to separate them (I'm typing this with three fingers). So maybe later!

Going to the doctor's now so they can see if I'm going to need stitching up and whatnot. Good times!

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Got a scintillating conversational contribution that I'm concerned is lost at the end of the old thread, wait for it:
    Just ordered my ticket for Nile/Suffocation next Monday. Nile I know, but of Suffocation I know naught - what's the best album to check out?

Are you watching them in Manc?
    Yep.

Oh sweet! Me and a matey from work are planning on going. Don't know suffocation well at all either, but I've never seen Nile before so I'm pretty chuffed!

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I'd put up a nice picture of my Book of Souls vinyl that showed up right on time today, but two of my cats decided to try and kill each other and I got my hands rather torn up trying to separate them (I'm typing this with three fingers). So maybe later!

Going to the doctor's now so they can see if I'm going to need stitching up and whatnot. Good times!

Jebus, what kind of cat's do you have that are gauging stitch worthy cuts!?

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Jebus, what kind of cat's do you have that are gauging stitch worthy cuts!?

Kvlt Kitties?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    The ragdoll was going for the Persian. Ragdoll cats are huge (pretty much second only to the Maine coon), and he's very strong with it.

Nothing dreadful with the scratches, thankfully. There's a nice tear in the flashy bit between my thumb and forefinger on my right hand, but the rest are pretty straightforward.

We've also got a sort-of semi-wild Balinese who's afraid of people but slowly coming round, and a classic kvlt black kitty. They're all rescues of one form or another.

I did have a snowshoe Siamese who was absolutely my best friend in the world, who I got while I was living in the States and he moved to the UK with me when I came back in 2011. He died in June and I still miss him terribly.

• RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    That last Sabbath record was absolute garbage. Listened to it a while ago and it's just bad. Everything is bad. The production, the songs, the lyrics. Everything.

autothrall wrote: »
    This song has to be up there with "Cirice" as one of my favorites this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L182WF235i4

Yeah, Mikkey Dee is ferocious here. I'm pretty into "Victory or Die," "Thunder & Lightning," and "The Devil" myself.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Jebus, listened to that Ned Flanders band at work just now... If you got a gimmick you apparently don't need much else, and the rehearsal space production was omnipresent.

Panda4You on
    edited September 2015
    I'm so miffed that Spotify has these huge chunks of certain band's discography missing. I wanna listen to Motörhead'sInferno but it's not theeerrrreeee :(:(:( I need my Steve Vai + Lemmy fix.

edit: Also I'm not sure if I should grab Book of Souls on vinyl or cd because I'm never gonna listen to either (no turntable and CDs I usually listen to in the car I never drive)

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    New Amorphis came out. People appear to be praising the shit out of it but they did the same with Circle so I have no idea what to believe anymore.

edited September 2015
    I listened to it a few times today (the Amorphis) and can say with certainty that it is superior to Circle, though it still relies a lot on simple chugging riffs pretty often to drive the experience. It's just plain catchier though. Better vocal lines. Probably a 6.5-7/10 for me at this moment but I'll listen several more times before I review it after Halloween.

autothrall on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'm so miffed that Spotify has these huge chunks of certain band's discography missing. I wanna listen to Motörhead'sInferno but it's not theeerrrreeee :(:(:( I need my Steve Vai + Lemmy fix.

edit: Also I'm not sure if I should grab Book of Souls on vinyl or cd because I'm never gonna listen to either (no turntable and CDs I usually listen to in the car I never drive)
    If you do decide to pull the trigger, I'd lean vinyl.

If you're going to get a physical edition for collecting/posterity, best to get the biggest, baddest thing you can. And Amazon has given me a free digital version (320Kb/s or VBR0, depending on the album) for like the last 5 vinyls I've bought from them.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited September 2015

If you do decide to pull the trigger, I'd lean vinyl.

If you're going to get a physical edition for collecting/posterity, best to get the biggest, baddest thing you can. And Amazon has given me a free digital version (320Kb/s or VBR0, depending on the album) for like the last 5 vinyls I've bought from them.

I think that's what I'm gonna do. I can listen to Spotify whenever I want and it's something like 320kb/s on Premium, and whenever I get a turntable, I'll have something to break it in :biggrin:

edit: Just started listening. Will report back. Very excited.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Vinyl all day erryday. I should post pics of what every Bolt Thrower album looks like along with the Peel Sessions which were recently released by Earache.

steam_sig.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i just got a new job after being unemployed for four months and I am so stoked on sinking actual money into a proper record player setup

this is gonna be great

Awesome, good stuff Tav!

• xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Excuse me, the proper term is "turntable."

They aren't "records" they're "LP's".

If you want to be a music snob you gotta use the right words. :rotate:

This discussion has been closed.