As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Possibly moving to St. Paul, MN

LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
So after a post grad school job hunt that lasted incredibly too long, I finally got a job offer this morning for what is essentially my dream job within my field. So now I'm apartment hunting for the area, I plan on picking some possible places out and then flying in for a couple days (I'm currently in WV) to tour them and get all of that taken care of. My question to any of you familiar with the area are these, what are some neighborhoods that I should look into/avoid? is the commute from outside of the city that bad? and if not are there some places there that I should look at that might be a little cheaper as they are outside of the city?

Edit: also, what are everyone's thoughts on pod vs uhaul vs jut getting movers.

LostNinja on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Welcome to town! You should come join us in the MN thread in SE++. Probably the best place to find this help.

I don't know a whole lot about St. Paul (I'm on the west Minneapolis side), but I do have friends who live in Roseville and Maplewood.

The commute driving shouldn't be too bad from those locations. Traffic is pretty bad right now, but.... what do you consider a bad commute?

Where are you going to work at? might help inform where to live.

Are you trying to do some kind of public transportation?

What sort of price range are we talking about?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    wooo MN is a pretty great place to live. If your job is in St. Paul you are fairly safe to look around oakdale/woodbury/maplewood as well for apartments, I live in woodbury and it takes about 10-15 mins to get to St. Paul from 94 (not during rush hour). As @JebusUD mentioned, traffic is kind of terrible right now, Minnesota has 2 seasons, winter and construction, we're in the heart of construction season at the moment.

That said we have a lot of beautiful areas outdoors if you are into that sort of stuff. I'm don't have any suggestions to tell you where to avoid living, but I can tell you living in a suburb will be a hell of a lot cheaper than living in St. Paul.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about St Paul or Minneapolis, but I will tell you, from experience, that suburbia sucks for a young single person.

Living far from the city means you never spend time with anyone your own age, rarely socializing outside of work.

For your sanity, for your social life, live between work and downtown (or where ever other young singles live). Even if that means a tiny apartment, even if that means higher rent, assuming you can afford it and still save some money, live urban.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Welcome to town! You should come join us in the MN thread in SE++. Probably the best place to find this help.

I don't know a whole lot about St. Paul (I'm on the west Minneapolis side), but I do have friends who live in Roseville and Maplewood.

The commute driving shouldn't be too bad from those locations. Traffic is pretty bad right now, but.... what do you consider a bad commute?

I'd prefer to keep my commute to under 30 minutes, under 15 preferably.

The office is on university avenue west

Me and my girlfriend both have cars so we don't really need public transportation assuming the roads are fairly well taken care of in winter, but the ability to walk or even take a short bike ride to work would be great.

We're looking at apartments in the $1100 range, one or two bedroom

We think we've found a couple places in the downtown area that might work out, or should that be avoided?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »

I'd prefer to keep my commute to under 30 minutes, under 15 preferably.

The office is on university avenue west

Me and my girlfriend both have cars so we don't really need public transportation assuming the roads are fairly well taken care of in winter, but the ability to walk or even take a short bike ride to work would be great.

We're looking at apartments in the $1100 range, one or two bedroom

We think we've found a couple places in the downtown area that might work out, or should that be avoided?

Excellent. That should leave you a variety of good options.

http://www.metrotransit.org/metro-green-line

The metro green line goes right up university ave W.

I'd say that downtown St. Paul or Minneapolis would work for you, and both are safe.

1100$ (though probably 1200 would be closer) will probably get you a decent 1 BR of a small size. a 2 BR in that price would probably be a little rundown, unless you can find some kind of one off craigslist deal.

If you are looking for a little bit of space, but a little longer commute, then I think Roseville would be a good option for you. It is just north of where you want to be, and basically any road you can take south would get you there. The roads will be maintained in the winter, but if it is an extreme snowstorm, play it safe and stay home. It's just smarter that way.

The MN people will have to take you out for a beer or coffee or something when you get here.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I live in a 4 person shared apartment with a big kitchen area/living room. The kitchen is about as big as one of those extended stay places if you've ever been to one of those, and the bedrooms have full size beds and not much room for a lot else except your own personal bathroom.

The pros? $600 a month, furnished, with a shared washer/dryer, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, microwave, sofas, table etc etc in the apartment.

The cons? You got 3 other roommates competing for kitchen time.

There are plenty places with this kind of setup and pricing around the U of M area, so if you just wanna live cheap in what is essentially luxury student housing (which can't legally restrict to students) with student type amenities like being within walking distance to the University, those restaurants and convenience stores that usually crowd around universities, a light rail and bus stop like 50 feet away, and student-tasting things like a small gym, billiards, and free arcade games, yeah, you can live like a student for the rest of your life.

Count me in for another housewarming party if you need like, a taste tester for the more experimental bar menu items.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Just a little update post, we ended up deciding the living in a suburb was more the way to go as far as getting more space with lower rent, as well as for finding places that were more dog friendly as far as amenities go. We ended up finding a place in Eagan that we both really like. When I mapped it that said it was about a 20 minute commute to my future office all by interstate (does that sound a bit right?).

Does anyone have any thoughts about Eagan? Am I missing something terrible about it that I should know, because so far I've just heard good things about it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    20 minutes without traffic is reasonable for Eagan to St. Paul, depending on how many stoplights and such you go through. 25-30 is what I'd plan for until I drove the route. Traffic of course throws a wrench in things (It's also roadwork season, soon to be winter, and as per the joke those are our only seasons).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy