As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2015 Constructive Feedback

1235»

• Options
    smantz0rZsmantz0rZ BostonRegistered User regular
    I really felt like this was the worst PAX I had attended so far, and was overall disappointed. Some major effort needs to be done to ensure that GDC and PAX East don't coincide, and it wouldn't hurt to make sure that PAX East takes place in April to avoid the absolutely wretched New England weather of early March.

-The whole convention space was utilized poorly. There could easily be more vendors or more space for crowds.
    -The booths for the most part weren't so great, but you can't blame the organizers for that. Blizzard showing up with only one game was kind of different than what I expected.
    -The space for people to give talks was filled up incredibly fast. Why wasn't Blizzard put into the main hall? Even CliffyB's talk was way over capacity.
    -Lack of showing from major vendors, Epic, Sony, etc. This was due to GDC. Avoid this at all costs!

• Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    smantz0rZ wrote: »
    I really felt like this was the worst PAX I had attended so far, and was overall disappointed. Some major effort needs to be done to ensure that GDC and PAX East don't coincide, and it wouldn't hurt to make sure that PAX East takes place in April to avoid the absolutely wretched New England weather of early March.

-The whole convention space was utilized poorly. There could easily be more vendors or more space for crowds.
    -The booths for the most part weren't so great, but you can't blame the organizers for that. Blizzard showing up with only one game was kind of different than what I expected.
    -The space for people to give talks was filled up incredibly fast. Why wasn't Blizzard put into the main hall? Even CliffyB's talk was way over capacity.
    -Lack of showing from major vendors, Epic, Sony, etc. This was due to GDC. Avoid this at all costs!
    GDC 2016 will be in March and East 2016 in April, so that definitely won't be a problem this coming year.

However, the MCCA's website lists East 2017 as March 10th-12th, which kind of scares me since GDC is typically around early March too.

• Options
    aerrusaerrus Registered User regular
    I wish that Penny Arcade wouldn't schedule their event on such an important Jewish Holiday. I am sure I am not the only one who wont be able to make it due to passover... I wonder why there's such a spread in dates from year to year, beginning of march was awesome timing! I hope someone important actually gets to reading this...

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    1) I'm pretty sure people who had a hell of a time getting into/out of Boston because of Snowpocalypse would disagree with you on early March being "awesome"
    2) There's a post by Robert Khoo which outlined why PAX East is so damn difficult to schedule (see below).
    3) PAX East a couple of years ago happened to fall on Easter (as reference below). Since it's not on a fixed weekend and because of the time of the year it's in, these sorts of things will occasionally happen.
    There are a number of factors playing into the decision to choose Easter Weekend, including:
    1. Actually having dates where the entirety of the convention center is open, and that's not just for show days. It takes us five full days to setup and two full days to strike.
    2. Not overlapping the Boston Marathon
    3. Not being close to any large event/conferences within boston that would hurt our ability to negotiate for lower hotel room rates for attendees.
    4. Not overlapping with GDC (since many developers and publishers go to both)
    5. Not overlapping with Anime Boston
    6. Not overlapping with SXSW
    7. As far away from PAX Prime the previous year (so not too early) so we can plan the show.
    8. As far away from PAX Prime, E3 and SDCC the next year (so not too late).

So, that said, when looking at that list, I came to the realization a long time ago fulfilling all of those is an impossibility. One of two of those gives every year. (same with prime, only with different criteria/shows) For instance, this year we needed to overlap with SXSW, and tons of speakers and guests couldn't make it because they were booked for that. It's just a reality of the show.
    That list is pretty much in order of importance. Tough decisions need to get made because of it, and to get #s 1-3 in alignment, #s 4, 5 or 6 had be compromised. It's unfortunate, but it had to happen.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    aerrus wrote: »
    I wish that Penny Arcade wouldn't schedule their event on such an important Jewish Holiday. I am sure I am not the only one who wont be able to make it due to passover... I wonder why there's such a spread in dates from year to year, beginning of march was awesome timing! I hope someone important actually gets to reading this...

They absolutely won't care about a holiday lining up with the show. It was on during easter a few years back, I believe 2012. The Amtrak trains in/out of Boston, a famously Irish Catholic city, were miserably overpacked.

TopherRocks on