As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] No, the League hasn't run out of new and creative ways to be terrible.

Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of ForksRegistered User regular
edited October 2015 in Social Entropy++
18544209-mmmain.jpg

So before you get too excited about Tom Brady's Deflategate suspension being vacated, know that Roger Goodell is still Roger Goodell, and he will continue to publicly humiliate himself for as long as he possibly can.

Still, the long dark offseason is drawing to a close, so now instead of endless speculation and innuendos about sporting equipment, we get endless speculation and innuendos about sporting equipment while watching actual football. It's a compromise nobody is happy with. But there's actual football involved, so there's some reason to celebrate.

SBNation has a fairly comprehensive pre-season look at all 32 NFL teams that are not currently in LA, so in the unlikely event you are still looking for a team to support this season, this will not lead you to the correct conclusion that you should root for the Jacksonville Jaguars and BLAKE BORTLES. But it is still worth a read.

As always, we offer thanks to PFT Commenter, and the Hot Takes that keep the dark cold poisons of facts and logic from polluting our minds and turning us into robots.

Welcome back, Football. We missed you.

[IMG][/img]
Romanian My Escutcheon on

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I should have made my Tyrod Taylor themed thread.

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I should have made my Tyrod Taylor themed thread.

I did seriously consider a Blake Bortles exclusive OP, but you guys really seem to like the name and I didn't want to wear it out before we got into the season proper.

[IMG][/img]
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Last time I made a Jaguars themed thread it got locked.

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Last time I made a Jaguars themed thread it got locked.

Because it was too high quality... Right? Right?

[IMG][/img]
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    How come the new replacement team in the dynasty league isn't getting the old team's players?

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    They are going to, but it will have to be a part of the draft where those players are off limits to other teams.

Since forty two never renewed, ownership could not be passed. So I had to just delete the team and invite the new player.

I have forty two's draft history though, so all those players will essentially be non draft able except by cabezone, and he will be able to grab whoever he wants off of that roster after the initial draft rounds have happened.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    so who is this season's train wreck. all signs point to the 49ers, the slurs, and the bucs. one is getting ruined by an incompetent owner with a giant ego, another is also getting ruined by another incompetent owner with a giant ego who is also a giant asshole, and the last one has a probably rapist potentially huge draft bust under center.

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    It's a two team race between the 49ers out of sadness, and the dc team out of disgust

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    its the raiders, its always the raiders

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I hate football

I also love football

but I also hate football

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm not sure anyone has a right to be surprised that a pro football organization would be willing to accept the benefits of a tax-payer funded operation.

What New Beginnings is doing is absolute shit but to the bucs its just "hey we run a federally subsidized program that offers work training and experience, as well as food, shelter, and other hunanizing amenities to the poor. You in?"

Like, of course they'd be in. Their sin is lack of scrutiny of their partner (and/or willing entanglement in an illegal activity).

What sucks is what that organization is doing had a kernel of a good idea to it. Food, shelter, work, training, experience. All good things. But they should be paid. Daily. Show up in the morning, shower, drop off laundry, eat, lock up whatever valuables you have, work all day, minus meal breaks, get paid (I'd prefer some sort of certified check or a money order or something, hard to steal and use but easy to exchange for money on your own terms without fee), then you can get a good night's rest.

Like, for someone who's homeless and can't get work, one season working for your local pro team could actually change your life.

But they should be paid. And honestly now that I think about it pro teams should totally set up a community outreach program like that.

Which city has a high homeless rate and also a profitable pro sports franchise?

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    All of them, probably.

sig.gif
    edited September 2015
    Gotta do some research. Like top 3 worst homelessness problem per sport.

Seriously you could get tax dollars to fund the initial costs, have lower variable expenses over the season, actual, meaningful community involvement (like possibly actually saving lives), and get shitloads of good PR from the charity work.

Just make sure you pay the workers. Hell, even at minimum wage, if you include free food, shelter, and amenities, that's actually decent pay in many areas.

Like where I live right now, assuming $5/day for food, plus my rent/power/water, that works out to about $5/hr, after taxes (since you'd pay that money out after paying taxes on it), so even at minimum wage you're effectively at close to $15/hr, assuming you would pay ~25% in taxes at that salary (here you would).

Football season is only really a problem because January is a horrible time of year to try to transition into retail/food service, because they're just starting to lay off their seasonal people. But if you could make the jump to another sport you could easily persist.

Bring in counselors to help people get signed up for federal aid programs, work programs, school.

UGH I wish we lived in a society that cared more about the poor :(

Tox on
    Yeah, if the big four (or five) did this sort of thing as a joint measure, cities would undoubtedly see a benefit. Of course, not every place has all five sports, but even one or two working together should be a positive.

sig.gif
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    pretty sure LA has the highest homeless population

edited September 2015
    Sorce wrote: »
    Yeah, if the big four (or five) did this sort of thing as a joint measure, cities would undoubtedly see a benefit. Of course, not every place has all five sports, but even one or two working together should be a positive.

Actually I think two is probably the sweet spot. Too many sports doing this in the same city creates a problem of potentially needing more staff during certain brief times of the year to cover for multiple sports being active at the same time. If you can get two sports with little to no overlap (football/basketball? Hockey and something?) Then folks can transition more of less seamlessly.

Tox on
    Hockey and Baseball probably line up well, actually.

sig.gif
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    so that coach should be fired

• NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    epoqpgxpe5vn.jpg

Into the recycling it goes!

brDe918.jpg
    That seems like a safe bet for every issue of Rolling Stone

• NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular

I do, I never actually bought a subscription, it just started showing up.

brDe918.jpg
    Noisymunk wrote: »

I do, I never actually bought a subscription, it just started showing up.

That sounds like premise for a terrible horror movie.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    epoqpgxpe5vn.jpg

Into the recycling it goes!

Russ would appreciate that you are placing it into the appropriate recycling bin and not the garbage.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I actually have that same issue. I wound up "winning" a free subscription to RS, SI, Entertainment Weekly, and a 4th one I cannot remember.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Cosmopolitan?

Tiger Beat

• PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    Beefcake?

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
    @Langly so the draft is Wednesday at 930 ET? Do you know if we can draft from the app?

My only question is will we know who we can't draft beforehand? I'll be driving back from basketball practice and I wanna make sure I add the players to my DND list so I dont auto draft one if I can't draft from my phone.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    oh the Pat's first game is against the Steelers

good job, judge

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yes you can draft from the app

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    so that coach should be fired

Sure, if he told them to go fuck the ref up. Fire his ass.

But why do you automatically assume he's at fault?

I played Jay four years in football. Same district.

It's not that hard of a leap to assume the two kids thought the ref caused them to lose a non-district game and should reap the consequences over a head coach, which btw it's hard to get a fucking job at Northside school district so I don't understand how the coach would at all condone something like that and put his career at risk. Not that Jay is a school people aspire to coach and teach at, shitty fucking area, but it's still NISD.

Anyway, I'm gonna go with two jackass players over a coach ordered hit on a ref for a meaningless non-district game.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Considering the stories you hear every year of coaches doing incredibly heinous things in high school sports (barbels coaches telling pitchers to head bunt, hockey coaches ordering kids to board etc) it's a lot more likely the coach did that. When do you hear of a kid doing that on their own? Everyone whose played before has been mad at a ref but who has heard of a kid ever doing that?

TL/DR - Anything could have happened, but considering most recent events I would be more surprised if the coach didn't tell them to hit the ref.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Considering the stories you hear every year of coaches doing incredibly heinous things in high school sports (barbels coaches telling pitchers to head bunt, hockey coaches ordering kids to board etc) it's a lot more likely the coach did that. When do you hear of a kid doing that on their own? Everyone whose played before has been mad at a ref but who has heard of a kid ever doing that?

TL/DR - Anything could have happened, but considering most recent events I would be more surprised if the coach didn't tell them to hit the ref.

A) non-district game
    B) commenters on deadspin with "ties to Jay" report racial slur used by ref
    C) again, played against Jay 4 years. Our band, cheerleaders, dance people were heckled and called pig fuckers and told to go back to our side of town, smelled like barnyard shit, etc. people who had nothing to do with the game except as sideline nonsense were being razzed over a football game. My opinion of Jay is thus: not classy, pretty fucking ghetto.
    D) if the racial slur thing were true, you think a coach would order a hit? Or do you think they would go through proper channels of reporting it?
    E) again, NISD is one of the better school districts around, competition for employment there is fierce, not likely to be fucked with over something like this game.

F) withhold judgment until the facts are out and I'll withhold speculation over local area bullshit football happenings?

Just saying, it's more likely two dumb fucking football players going "man fuck that ref" "yeah man lets fuck him up!" "Good idea bro!" Than a coach going "I want you to take out this ref"

But then again I haven't played football in 7 years and I certainly know we didn't play that way, although I can tell you in 6 years of playing football I played with numbskulls that would generate such a plan of action

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited September 2015
    Well that's really in depth, and I'll respond with ... No matter what happens we'll never know what happened and regardless it was pretty fucked up.

PizzleStixx on
    PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    can someone direct me to that video jon bois highlighted that was of a couple of high school teams playing and the one team comes back from like a million to nothing

This discussion has been closed.