As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2016 date?

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Prime is Friday to Monday. That has always seemed weird to me because Monday is usually the start of a new work week. Thursday seems to make more sense, but oh well, it seems to be working so far for Prime.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Prime is Fri-Mon because of how often it lands on Labor Day weekend. It doesn't happen *all* the time, but most of the time.

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    Noticed this today while looking at hotel rooms for something else. The Element and Aloft hotels right near the BCEC are currently scheduled to open before PAX East next year:

Element: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=4143
    Aloft: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=4142
    If OnPeak manages to get the April 21-24 block of rooms for these new hotels then this is fantastic news. East has been in serious need of more hotels that aren't a mile away from the BCEC.

• KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    The Element looks particularly good with actual kitchens in some of the rooms, but neither are inexpensive and the rates seem to be going up for that period in time as they wised up to PAX being that week. My group may stay there instead of the Seaport this year, we'll see!

• VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    Looks cool, but any idea if these hotels allow for roll-away beds?

Wishes he could change his username
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    rascrush wrote: »
    personally I hope they dont do 4 days just wondering if they do how does it work is it thur start sun end or fri start mon end

By the example of Prime being 4 days, they'd add Monday as the 4th day but I don't expect East to go to 4 days.

Ugh, just realized I replied from the wrong page. Pay no mind to the super late response.

TopherRocks on
  • Albion KnightAlbion Knight Registered User new member
    With Prime done I'm eagerly awaiting the ticket announcement. Did Prime have multi-day passes. Wondering if this will still be a thing for PAX EAST.

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions. ~ Albert Einstein
    knightdance2_2.gif
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Nope, Prime only had single day passes.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I'm willing to bet that multi-day passes are gone for good over all PAX (at least in north america).

E6LkoFK.png

I would not be surprised if they stick around for pax south

• InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    <---calmly waiting on PAX East date announcement so he can book a flight as early as possible and schedule necessary vacation.

InfiniteNuLL on
    FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, I'm confident that South will continue to have weekend passes. Not only did Sunday not sell out this year, but PA is also expanding the amount of the convention center that's being used for 2016. Weekend passes would help a lot with incentivizing people to go all 3 days, even when the convention is still in its early stages.

Lazorz on
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    PAX South does indeed have 3-day badges available for 2016.

Anyway, the biggest issue with PAX East is the hotels. Hopefully Element and Aloft will help, but combined they're only adding about 500 rooms. The big plan Massachusetts wanted to improve the convention center area involved one or two new mega hotels adjacent to BCEC, plus several more cheaper hotels vicinity. They also wanted to add more convention space and at least one more big theater (ostensibly so they could run two conventions at once at BCEC, but I assume PAX would use both much in the way Prime now uses the Paramount and Benaroya Hall). I don't know what the current state of those plans are, but I hope they're at least making some progress. At least Element will add 180 rooms real close by, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to what the Massachusetts committee said they need (and, at least from my perspective, I agree).

I would love a fourth day of PAX East. Here's hoping they announce the dates soon, regardless.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    I thought the date was already annouced?

not officially

• KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    Nothing official yet to my knowledge. It was listed as April 22-24, 2016 at one point on the massconvention.com site. However, it no longer appears listed there at all. I'm using those dates as I believe PA has a 10 year deal with the MCCA and the dates for the next several years were planned years ago. So far it has been accurate, it may be possible for PA to change the dates however. For a flight which is usually non-refundable, you certainly should wait to hear the official word.

I hope the day stays the same, because if it changes, we are going to have to rebook hotels (luckly I think we can cancel the ones we are booked to)

Also any idea if the renovation plans are still going as planned?

Here are the expansion plans as announced. However, I also heard ominously that it was put on hold by the new governor after the approval.

http://signatureboston.com/bcec/bcec-expansion-plans.aspx
    http://signatureboston.com/uploadDocs/1/expansion-grahpic.pdf
    http://www.meetings-conventions.com/Newsline/Boston-Convention-Center-Expansion-Put-on-Hold/
    http://www.nashobapublishing.com/breakingnews/ci_28020117/bcec-expansion-supporters-not-quitting-project

If you live in MA, contact your Governor and get it moving again! The extra 1,000-1,200 hotel rooms alone will be a big help in making PAX more affordable and accessible.

it would work better for me if it was in march this year actually instead of april I already have a lot of plans in april so hope they change it guess we will just see

it would work better for me if it was in march this year actually instead of april I already have a lot of plans in april so hope they change it guess we will just see
    I doubt it would move significantly enough to change months.

The march date was a pain this year (Canceled flights, super cold, and super icy sidewalks)

I love both march and april paxen, but they each have their downsides too

• Albion KnightAlbion Knight Registered User new member
    I'm stalking the twitter and here waiting for the ticket announcement! Can't' wait!

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions. ~ Albert Einstein
    knightdance2_2.gif
    I'm stalking the twitter and here waiting for the ticket announcement! Can't' wait!

Ticket announcement likely will not start until November, so don't keep too close an eye on it ;)

Yeh, having AUS and SOUTH thrown into the mix threw the tickets sales schedule way off. This in and of itself doesn't bother me, but now all the extracurricular activities get thrown out of wack as well. Stuff like the Pre-Pax Dinner, the Poke-crawl, MMT, the Pre-Pax Board Game Night, the Challenge Coin, the official beer stein, etc. don't start to be planned as early. Not having as much planning time definitely put a kink in some of the above things. Zerzhul, would it be ok to start a new thread to see if we can pull together the usual people who plan these events so that we can get the ball rolling and then split them into their own individual threads?

you can always make threads for community events as long as they have the content to support their existence.

Most of those events have fairly established people or groups that are very likely to continue planning them. While I could comment on each separate event you mentioned, I doubt many will want to commit to planning any of them until after their badges are secured. I wouldn't expect much activity until after that. The only one that is likely suspect is the pre pax dinner, and again I doubt many would want to commit until they get badges.

Sorry zerzhul, I didn't think about that. Now that I think of it, probably the only stuff that could potentially be started early would be the design of the challenge coin and possibly the design for the forum badge. As for the challenge coin, if it was started now, they could be shipped to anyone who wanted one well in advance of the start of PAX east. Again, I know this is extremely early, but if the person who designed the coin last year is reading the forums yet, would you be willing to do it again this year?

As for the forum badges, if the same person is willing, we could start that also. We could also possibly do a gofundme sight to cover the cost of printing. If the person doing this doesn't end up going, i'm sure someone else could take over distribution during the con.

I'm just trying to let my excitement out a little at a time. I really miss talking about East directly after Prime ends. It's like a drug i'm trying to limit myself from or I'd explode and everything about East I want to talk about would just come out in one gooey mess (ok, i may watch too many horror movies at times :)

The person who does the forum badges has repeatedly refused offers of compensation to cover printing :)

• RC5306RC5306 Registered User new member
    Anyone know when applications for vendors, exhibitors, and fan groups will be made available?

vendors and exhibitors should be able to contact paxsales@paxsite.com for that information.

Not sure what you mean about fan groups. There's no group registration available for attendees as far as I know.

• Jordman12Jordman12 Registered User regular
    Hoping that the dates will be the same. It would be perfect for me. I work at a ski resort and it will be in the slow season by then. I don't have to worry about missing any possible overtime.

2015 PAX East Omeganaut
    2016 PAX East Omeganaut

HAIL HATS !!!!!!!

@Jordman12
    Jordman12 wrote: »
    Hoping that the dates will be the same. It would be perfect for me. I work at a ski resort and it will be in the slow season by then. I don't have to worry about missing any possible overtime.

As it was mentioned above, it appears it may be for the third weekend in April but nothing official has been announced as of yet.

• RC5306RC5306 Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »
    vendors and exhibitors should be able to contact paxsales@paxsite.com for that information.

Not sure what you mean about fan groups. There's no group registration available for attendees as far as I know.

Thank you. Your information was very helpful.

I would think they would at least let us know the date soon. I mean if tickets are gonna go on sale in november like they did last year we are about a month out from when they went on sale last year

I would think they would at least let us know the date soon. I mean if tickets are gonna go on sale in november like they did last year we are about a month out from when they went on sale last year

I'm personally getting a little anxious myself. We knew the date for PAX East long before this date last year.

I don't think it was significantly different from how it is now though. There was a date posted on the BCEC website and we all assumed it was correct. Now the date was posted and then removed. It was probably right, but we never know *for sure* until PAX tells us.

Yea just figured at this point they would have updated this site and stuff like that. Like I said we are around a month out from when tickets went on sale last year. At this point last year people were in the check here a few times a day to see if the tickets have gone on sale mode

id say in the next week or 2 we could see it

Its weird that we aren't constantly checking yet lol

edited October 2015
    Tickets went on sale November 12th last year, Id say very early November this year though I can't really guess.

EDIT: Looks like the tickets changed to soon on the 26th of October, so Id say dates will appear later this month

VGguy49 on
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I don't think it was significantly different from how it is now though. There was a date posted on the BCEC website and we all assumed it was correct. Now the date was posted and then removed. It was probably right, but we never know *for sure* until PAX tells us.
    Well, the reason I'm getting so anxious is because I have to:

A) Book my vacation before anyone else does for that time at work
    B) book my flight before it gets too expensive

After I get that out of the way, I couldn't care less =). Then it's just the count down to when the tickets are announced and making sure I have the money to pay for those.

This discussion has been closed.