As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony: don't play old games anymore buy new ones.

• bshidoheatbshidoheat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bshidoheat wrote: »
    as for 360, The Orange Box is the glitcheist piece of shit I have ever played in my entire life.

Wait, what? I've been playing through HL2 on the 360 recently, and I didn't notice any glitches. Could you give an example for me?

Ok so I would be playing through campaign HL2 and you know when you die it goes back and you have to load again. after about play for atleast an hour and you die alot the game starts to load and the 360 is searching the disc (you can hear the disc reader looking for the data but cant find it) and the game LOCKS UP AND CRASHES.

TF2 theres a lot of random crashes or disconnects inbetween joining a game leaveing and trying to join a new one only to crash.

In portal I was watching my sister play and she was at the part with pistons and she backed into a corner and FELL OFF THE MAP. this happened on 2 occasions in different parts of the game.

this is the most glitchiest game I have ever played in my life and I can only blame valve for thinking they can shove such an unpolished turd into my mouth. the second glitchiest game i've played being marvel vs capcom 2.

bshidoheat on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    as for 360, The Orange Box is the glitcheist piece of shit I have ever played in my entire life.

Wait, what? I've been playing through HL2 on the 360 recently, and I didn't notice any glitches. Could you give an example for me?

Ok so I would be playing through campaign HL2 and you know when you die it goes back and you have to load again. after about play for atleast an hour and you die alot the game starts to load and the 360 is searching the disc (you can hear the disc reader looking for the data but cant find it) and the game LOCKS UP AND CRASHES.

TF2 theres a lot of random crashes or disconnects inbetween joining a game leaveing and trying to join a new one only to crash.

In portal I was watching my sister play and she was at the part with pistons and she backed into a corner and FELL OFF THE MAP. this happened on 2 occasions in different parts of the game.

this is the most glitchiest game I have ever played in my life and I can only blame valve for thinking they can shove such an unpolished turd into my mouth. the second glitchiest game i've played being marvel vs capcom 2.

You're the first person I've read complain about it.

EDIT:

(Except obviously TF2)

august on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    You guys can prove me wrong when you are able to post some research findings that document these upsurges of 360s with Halo attach rates during the Christmas period.
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Because your opinion of what is fun speaks for...well everyone? Heavenly Sword I own, I've played, I loved. You even fucking seen it?

What we have here class, is a fanboi. Someone who is unwilling to accept that Sony has a serious problem this holiday season if the best they can bring to the table is Heavenly Sword and Ratchet and Clank.

It's pretty obvious you're running out of steam when you resort to labelling people fanboys. Not even fanboys but a 'fanboi' like you're too hip to just say fanboy.

I'm objective, I see the console selling for fun at the store with the price drop, I don't see a problem when I look at the games available and think the upcoming ones all look good and in some cases (Uncharted), great. What particularly grates me is that you're bashing on Heavenly Sword and Lair when I seriously doubt you've played either and just are hating on them because of what other people say. I on the other hand have played Halo. I didn't feel like I'd seen the second, or in this case, third coming. But at least I can say I've played it.

I've played both, and both are terrible, sorry to burst your bubble. They are glorified technology demos at best. Again, if Heavenly Sword and Lair is all Sony can put up against BioShock and Halo 3, Sony has a problem.

What makes you a fanboi is that you refuse to realize that the PS3 is sputtering. It's game library is a joke, and what's on the horizon are not killer apps. I am glad you enjoy Heavenly Sword and Lair, but 90% of the rest of the game world doesn't agree with you. Of course, we are all just losers who don't know the grand power of the PS3, right?

Not ALL, just you for as long as you keep typing 'fanboi'. I think you should take a trip down to Ninja Theory, tell them that you think their game, what with all the motion capture, time, effort, etc put into it, is a tech demo. I'm curious t he response you will get.

And Lair, the only complaint I heard was the use of the Sixaxis. But hey, if you can't generalise, what arguement do you have?

When people, myself included, got over the hype of Bioshock, I think most realised it was pretty shit. Linear and completely lost the plot half way through. So it isn't your holy grail of gaming. And no, it was on the PC to, so I'm not just bitching on a 360 game.

BTW, the 90% of the world you polled...I'm curious, was this an Internet vote, phone or door to door or what? I'm genuinely curious into the methodology used to contact 90% of the world, including those in remote countries without any means of electronic communication. If a small native tribe are ragging on Lair, perhaps you are right.

Wait, you LIKED Lair?

PLEASE tell me wha you were able to find in it that was ANY good. EVEERY SINGLE one of my PS3 owning friends and co-workers absolutely hated it, and the customers who actually bought it were pretty pissed off with it too.

Evander on
    edited October 2007
    Fishguy wrote: »
    I've read through most of this thread and I haven't seen this mentioned. Why didn't Sony just pull a Nintendo and re-release their old first party PS2 games on bluray with minimal improvements? That way they could make money selling 'PS3 games' and could use those games to easily pad their release schedule to make up for everything good coming out in 2008. They wouldn't have to worry too much about BC then, because 3rd parties would probably follow suite and you'd get the DMC, RE, MGS collections etc.
    There's no disadvantage to this that I can think and would give them easy money. Being perceived as a machine with a bunch of PS2 ports is much better position to be in than machine that has '4 good games' on it.

When has Nintendo gone and remade games from the past generation? They always go for AT LEAST two generations ago, unless it is a free give-away (OoT) which doesn't quite count as the same thing.

It's the third parties who are doing all of the Wiimakes, trying to jump on the money-printing bandwagon. Not Nintendo.

Evander on
    edited October 2007
    august wrote: »
    The reviews and word of mouth on Lair are pretty fucking horrible. Some of the most negative came from people who actually played it.

Evander on
  • JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I love how everyone completely forgets the 360 gems that have been out for a long time.

Dead Rising? I *love* the "Dawn of the Dead" type games.
    Gears of War? GOW > Resistance. Sorry.
    Lost Planet? The story sucked but the mech/alien boss fights were badass.

Good stuff there.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You guys can prove me wrong when you are able to post some research findings that document these upsurges of 360s with Halo attach rates during the Christmas period.

Sales figures via Wikipedia:

Sales of 360s through September: 6.8 million
    Sales of Halo3 through September: 3.3 million

That's an attachment rate of damn near 50%.

Also DW, you're forgetting that third-party ports don't sell evenly between systems. The 360 is cheaper, has a bigger library and is more popular, so it's likely that, say, Assassin's Creed will sell more on the 360 than the PS3. It's already happening... skate sold five times as much on the 360 than the PS3.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It is not.

At least, not how I see 'attachment' rate. How many of the Halo 3 games sold were for 360s sold previous to September?

Nova_C on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »

It is not.

At least, not how I see 'attachment' rate. How many of the Halo 3 games sold were for 360s sold previous to September?
    O_o

Attach rate = volume of software sold / number of consoles sold

when they were purchased has NEVER played any part.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

It is not.

dur, that would be his point. Since september, there's been an attachment rate of about 50% between xboxes sold and halo sold.
    I personally feel robbed for paying $240 on these games. Whenever I put in VF5 everyone tells me to "set that piece of shit on fire and put on tekken"

Man, start hanging around people with fucking taste, then.

TheSonicRetard on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It is quietly amusing how some people spin the high Halo 3 attach rate as a bad thing, when only a madman would think that disgustingly high sales of 3.3 million week one and well over doubling the hardware sales in one of the slowest months of the year is a bad thing.

Halo3s high attach rate is neither here nor there. Its just interesting to see which people spin it to be a bad sign for MS and who spins it as being good.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    dur, that would be his point. Since september, there's been an attachment rate of about 50% between xboxes sold and halo sold.

Oh, I see. Those are figures just for NA. I thought he meant worldwide and I'm like "That doesn't jibe with the numbers I was looking at a while back."

Yeah, that's pretty amazing sales on Halo3. Don't know how you can spin that as negative.

Nova_C on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Oh, I see. Those are figures just for NA. I thought he meant worldwide and I'm like "That doesn't jibe with the numbers I was looking at a while back."

Yeah, that's pretty amazing sales on Halo3. Don't know how you can spin that as negative.

Darkwarrior will find a way, just you watch.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Be serious, anyone whos going to buy a console for halo has done so. They're not storing up their liquid awesome for Christmas.

Riiiiiiight.

In related news, I bought a PS2 this summer for FFX and XII.

garroad_ran on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know a guy at my work who is alot like Dark Warrior.
    He praises every game on the PS3, dispite when I play them I'd rather just do something else (And no one wanting to play them when they go to his house. No one touches Lair or HS, it's always Skate, and that's it.)
    I haven't heard DW hate on Halo 3 aside from sales figures, but the same employee seems to simply make up reasons to dislike Halo 3.
    "It's Halo 2 with better graphics." Yeah, and Super Mario Bros 2 was SMB1 with the same graphics, and it was still fun.
    "It's no fun at all." Personal opinon passed of as fact."
    "Killzone is way better man. And KZ2 will kick Halo's ass." Again, opinion, but oh so wrong.
    "It's the only good game on 360." I can't even convince this guy that what he's saying isn't FACT.
    More nuggets of wisdom:
    "PS3 has the Cell processor, it's so advanced developers can't even use it yet!" That's a good thing?
    "Man, Lair controls so smoothly, Sixaxis is the only way to play".
    I seriously give up on this guy.
    /whatever

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2007
    Well the obvious thing to do is say nothing and let him suffer with his shitty choice in games. Bring your 360 round sometimes and play bioshock in the corner, but dont let him play.

The_Scarab on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A lot of people are pointing to other consoles' first years as evidence that the PS3 will prevail. The key difference such people miss is that the people making those consoles were not flinging poo at their customers, hurting their reputation with every utterance, and blabbering on incoherently like a rabid chimpanzee like Sony is doing. This is an important distinction.

MKR on
    edited October 2007
    Be serious, anyone whos going to buy a console for halo has done so. They're not storing up their liquid awesome for Christmas.

Riiiiiiight.

In related news, I bought a PS2 this summer for FFX and XII.

Haha. I bought a PS2 this summer for Shadow of the Colossus, GT3 and God of War.

Nova_C on
  • bshidoheatbshidoheat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

It is not.

I personally feel robbed for paying $240 on these games. Whenever I put in VF5 everyone tells me to "set that piece of shit on fire and put on tekken"

sorry man but where we live down here we dont like the taste of dogshit. but to each his own I guess

I would rather play DoA4 over VF5. DoA4 did the plastic action figure look way better than VF5. Plus the voice acting was god awful. The only saving grace of VF5 is the drunk old fighter. and even then, doa4's drunk guy was funnier/ easier to pull off. AND PS3 VERSION HAS NO ONLINE? get fuck outta here....GET ROBBED!

bshidoheat on
    edited October 2007

It is not.

sorry man but where we live down here we dont like the taste of dogshit. but to each his own I guess

Sweet! Another VF fan!

TheSonicRetard on
  • ruiisuruiisu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sweet! Another VF fan!

:) Same here! Been at it since arcade VF1, and Sega Saturn VF2, missed out on 3 but my PS2 gets plenty of VF4: Evo. Can't wait for Christmas when I get my VF5 360!

ruiisu on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    ruiisu wrote: »
    Sweet! Another VF fan!

:) Same here! Been at it since arcade VF1, and Sega Saturn VF2, missed out on 3 but my PS2 gets plenty of VF4: Evo. Can't wait for Christmas when I get my VF5 360!

fucking idiot, no one buys games at christmas. If you don't buy a game when it's released, you'll never ever buy them. ever!

TheSonicRetard on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    And Marvel Alliance is a good game? You liar.

Well I didn't play the PS3 version of M:UA (which got a significantly lower score than the 360 version) but only 12 PS3 titles have gotten a higher Game Ranking than M:UA for the 360...and only 3 of those are exclusive to the PS3.

It beat Heavenly Sword in the rankings.

Oh man, I just looked up Forza 2's Game Rankings. There is only one PS3 title with a higher average than Forza 2 and that is Oblivion. I do believe this 360 bundle pack and the Crimson Skies Xbox one make up for all the other US Xbox bundles that were absolutely terrible (The Xbox Forza bundle was way too expensive).

Accualt on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    only 12 PS3 titles have gotten a higher Game Ranking than M:UA for the 360...and only 3 of those are exclusive to the PS3.

Comparing PS3 scores to 360 scores of the same game on GameRanking is kind of broken. Generally multiplatform review will give the same score to both versions, regardless of difference in quality. Really what you are comparing is how on average the game got rated by 360 publications/sites to how the game got rated by PS3 publications/sites.

It does sort of tell you a little about the quality, but there would be a difference even if both version were 100% exactly the same.

LewieP on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wait, people didn't like M:UA? I played that on PC and it was awesome. It would have been even better with a controller. (My controller for my PC doesn't have enough buttons). What the hells wrong with you people?

shryke on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    Wait, people didn't like M:UA? I played that on PC and it was awesome. It would have been even better with a controller. (My controller for my PC doesn't have enough buttons). What the hells wrong with you people?

I enjoyed it. But it was a pretty average hack and slash game. I didn't find it compelling enough to finish it yet.

corin7 on
  • FishguyFishguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    Fishguy wrote: »
    I've read through most of this thread and I haven't seen this mentioned. Why didn't Sony just pull a Nintendo and re-release their old first party PS2 games on bluray with minimal improvements? That way they could make money selling 'PS3 games' and could use those games to easily pad their release schedule to make up for everything good coming out in 2008. They wouldn't have to worry too much about BC then, because 3rd parties would probably follow suite and you'd get the DMC, RE, MGS collections etc.
    There's no disadvantage to this that I can think and would give them easy money. Being perceived as a machine with a bunch of PS2 ports is much better position to be in than machine that has '4 good games' on it.

When has Nintendo gone and remade games from the past generation? They always go for AT LEAST two generations ago, unless it is a free give-away (OoT) which doesn't quite count as the same thing.

It's the third parties who are doing all of the Wiimakes, trying to jump on the money-printing bandwagon. Not Nintendo.

I was thinking of the classics series for the gba actually, but yea they're from the NES era because ninty's been around that long. Oldest thing Sony could do is PS1, but no really good first party games come to mind that would really benefit them. I can immediately think of a ton on the PS2 (Ratchet and clanks, ICO, SOTC, GOW1,2). I'm not even saying that's something ninty does, but the Wii definately had the initial 'oh it's just a gc with motion control, look at all the ports' vibe. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, I like seeing old games with fresh coats of paint and added features. And it would've definitely helped Sony to quickly fill the game gap.

Fishguy on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I know a guy at my work who is alot like Dark Warrior.
    He praises every game on the PS3, dispite when I play them I'd rather just do something else (And no one wanting to play them when they go to his house. No one touches Lair or HS, it's always Skate, and that's it.)
    I haven't heard DW hate on Halo 3 aside from sales figures, but the same employee seems to simply make up reasons to dislike Halo 3.
    "It's Halo 2 with better graphics." Yeah, and Super Mario Bros 2 was SMB1 with the same graphics, and it was still fun.
    "It's no fun at all." Personal opinon passed of as fact."
    "Killzone is way better man. And KZ2 will kick Halo's ass." Again, opinion, but oh so wrong.
    "It's the only good game on 360." I can't even convince this guy that what he's saying isn't FACT.
    More nuggets of wisdom:
    "PS3 has the Cell processor, it's so advanced developers can't even use it yet!" That's a good thing?
    "Man, Lair controls so smoothly, Sixaxis is the only way to play".
    I seriously give up on this guy.
    /whatever

Yeah, I don't sound anything like that.

I don't love every PS3 game, the majority suck but theyre also multi platform. I played Warhawk, got it for the free headset, it fucking sucked, it sucked hard, I took it back the next day. Totally un-fun.

DarkWarrior on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    A lot of people are pointing to other consoles' first years as evidence that the PS3 will prevail. The key difference such people miss is that the people making those consoles were not flinging poo at their customers, hurting their reputation with every utterance, and blabbering on incoherently like a rabid chimpanzee like Sony is doing. This is an important distinction.

No, the problem with the "first year" argument is that the first year of console A can be absolutely different than console B depending on the market.

People love to bring up the 360's first year and claim it didn't have it's AAA titles ready off the get go... well, guess what? It didn't NEED them for the first year because it was the only console on the market for that gen. MS made sure the big guns were ready for the PS3, because that was always seen as the primary rival.

The PS3, unlike the PS2 before it needs to have some big hitters the first year because they have actual competition.

Sony's absolutely abysmal handling of the situation is just added difficulty.

EclecticGroove on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Whats your point? He said killer apps, not exclusive killer apps. These games will be available on the PS3 for christmas.
    titmouse wrote: »
    Saying a game is getting good previews is pretty dumb. Nearly every game gets good previews.

IGN said you're looking pretty handsome these days.

The point is, if someone wanted those killer apps, they could play them cheaper on the 360.
    Why pay more for the same game?

Don't go into a price arguement here because the backwards-compatibility-lacking-40gigPS3 is now the same price as the Halo edition and Elite, INCLUDING GAMES and the charge kit and the wireless adapter and the blu ray drive and no HD cables, and no backwards compatibility Its only 50 quid more than a Premium, again with games and shiznit the Premium doesn't.

Why pay less in order to pay more later?
    Calm down man, we can discuss with inside voices.
    For the 'Good' 360, you get two games, 20 GB HDD, the 360, and a wireless controller and headset. $350
    For the 'Decent' PS3, you get the PS3, 40 GB HDD, Wireless controller, and Spiderman 3 in Bluray. $400
    I'd rather go with the one that COMES with games.

UK deals come with any 2 Sony published titles which gives you an option of about 8 games. Plus 2 movies.

Bold for edited, lime for truth, red for lies. You are mixing, picking and choosing from different deals there, completely nonrepresentational of actual bundles.

UK deals have the standalone 20Gig 360 Premium for just £199 at Play.com. While many online retailers are higher, this is not the first time Play have used this pricepoint. At retail there are better deals than the bog standard online £249, and others online include free games & controllers.

On all major online retailers, Play, Gameplay, Amazon, Game, Woolworths, Argos, the gimped BC-less PS3 at £299 with no games and no movies. The 60Gig PS3 is £349 including two games and no movies.

There are numerous 360 bundles which include games.

Hell, if, true as you say above, you can find a PS3 with two free games from the selection of eight, plus two movies, for £250, fucking awesome amazing deal, I'll probably buy one tonight.

There have been 60Gig bundles with games & movies (or movie, Click was it? and an HDMI cable woo), but at a much higher price point. And hey, there has also been a 360 Premium bundle with 4 top games for £299. And another with free games and an extra wireless controller at £250. I'm not interested in any of that, I want to know what is available to buy right now. And even with the cheapest PS3 model coming in at £299 with no games, the 360 Premium can still be bought right now for £100 less.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Just because it's my job -
    Xbox 360 + WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007, Forza Motorsport 2, extra wireless controller - £229.00
    Xbox 360 Premium Console, HDMI version - £194.99 delivered

Blockbuster sell 40gb PS3 + FIFA 08 for £299.99, or for an extra £10 get any game.

LewieP on
  • MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Since I gave up on this thread I see it hasn't progressed much. People still insisting the PS3 will succeed based on:
    • Potential
    • Personal taste for games universally regarded as average
    • A media format consumers don't know or care about, much less want to pay a premium to not use.

And what the hell is an exclusive killer app? Isn't the definition of a "killer app" that its exclusivity to your system will drive sales? Regarding any other title as such, no matter how good, is pretty redundant, except maybe the higher install base that is likely to sell more.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    Lewie has probably earned about three thousand pounds commission off of me alone. Goddam him!

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    100 less? Since when are Premium systems 199.99?

The lowest PS3 deal is 299.99 with Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four. No games but at 300 it isn't a bad deal at all. 324.99 for any game on top of 349.99 for the 60 gig with 2 games and 2 movies. No Click. Noone would subject someone to Click.

EDIT:
    LewieP wrote: »
    Just because it's my job -
    Xbox 360 + WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007, Forza Motorsport 2, extra wireless controller - £229.00
    Xbox 360 Premium Console, HDMI version - £194.99 delivered

Blockbuster sell 40gb PS3 + FIFA 08 for £299.99, or for an extra £10 get any game.

When the hell did a Premium go that low? Is that a special deal or something? Cores are supposed to be competing with Wii's in terms of price.

DarkWarrior on
    edited October 2007
    100 less? Since when are Premium systems 199.99?

The lowest PS3 deal is 299.99 with Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four. No games but at 300 it isn't a bad deal at all. 324.99 for any game on top of 349.99 for the 60 gig with 2 games and 2 movies. No Click. Noone would subject someone to Click.

You talkin dollars or pounds?

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    Quids.

DarkWarrior on
    edited October 2007
    Quids.

Good call :lol:

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Lewie has probably earned about three thousand pounds commission off of me alone. Goddam him!

I wish. I have in total earned probably just short of £400 from my blog in the 6 months, although sadly £180 of that is in Amazon vouchers.

Amazon sadly don't stock "rent money" or "cheap student foods"

Just incase you or anyone was interested ;-)

Shit though, that's with 400-500 hits a day, I really should talk to my marketting lecturer, I would love to be an internet millionaire by age 25, I would get a monacle 'n shit.

I think this is better than my other business idea (I was going to make a site called twotube, it would be like youtube but with two video streaming panels next to each other, and two search bars, so you can load one up whilst watching the other, it would sell to google for like US$3.30billion)

LewieP on
    edited October 2007
    If I get Lewie as my secret santa im sending an amnesty international crate of food supplies. some poor bugger in zaire is gonna go hungry this christmas cause lewie is a starving student.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    Yay!

Whoever my santa is, it getting bargains I plan to stay close to the £10 (well, $10, but I did NoE conversion as opposed to currency conversion) as possible, but push it really, really, far.

I have already spent £4 and got something fantastic.

LewieP on