As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solium Infernum III: Now is the burning hellfire of our discontent

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
edited September 2015 in Critical Failures
OP elements stolen from a shamelessly from a fantastic and sadly overlooked thread by Capfalcon from many years back.

My lord, I bring you fantastic news!

solinf0jpg.jpg

Satan has abdicated the Throne of Hell.

Solium_victory_screen-thumb-550x378.jpg

The entirety of the Infernal Conclave is scrambling to find a new monarch. Now is your moment, my lord. Seize what is rightfully yours.

SIbanner.jpg

Marshal your legions to conquer your foes who foolish refuse your demands.

ironmaidens.jpgthefallen.jpg

Crush your pitiful rivals' champions in single combat.

in_dreadful_deeds_fearless550.jpgsinglecombat.jpg

Hexes!

MainMapClose.jpg

On a dull work day I found myself somehow stumbling upon a write up of this game on Rock Paper Shotgun. It was frankly amazing. I suggest you go read it now . You only need to read the Kieron and Quinns bits and if that's too much reading for you, I won't lie this probably isn't the game for you.

Back with me?

Excited as all get out to give this a shot?

Let's do this!

A few points to bear in mind first however.

1) This game will cost you. 15 of your dollars to be precise.

2) This game will take some time. Play by email. Variable number of turns. We're talking weeks and weeks here most likely. If you're not in for the long haul then you're probably best not starting.

3) This game is rules deep. It has a large manual you will probably want to consult. Though wikis and tutorial pages exist on the game website.

Go on, be a Devil.

Previous games:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/198583/solium-infernum-ii-hex-harder-in-hell-game-on/p1
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/191721/solium-infernum-epic-play-by-email-hex-em-up-from-hell-game-over/p1

MhCw7nZ.gif
Jam Warrior on

• Options
    Game 2 is just winding up so starting up the recruitment thread for game three:

Notifications for anyone and everyone who has ever posted in a Solium thread (let me know if you want removing or I'll keep doing this each time a new game starts).

@rend
    @BigBadWolf
    @Capfalcon
    @kaorti
    @Auralynx
    @farangu
    @fadingathedges
    @TheOtherHorseman
    @MrBody
    @kaliyama
    @Smaug6
    @Phyphor
    @jakobagger

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BigBadWolfBigBadWolf Grandma's HouseRegistered User regular
    I'd be up for that - although I suspect my bullying from a position of power may come back to bite me...

• Options
    Won't be starting for at least a week or so. Just wanted to get the thread up now for maximum exposure time.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I would like to play another game, yes.

I feel like I could do better, knowing even just some of the rules now, but we'll see.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'm game to revisit giving this a shot but pretty willing to get out of someone more eager's way, too.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Currently looking like last game plus returning all-star Auralynx.

@Rend ? You specifically expressed disappointment at missing the last game. Now's your chance!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Urrrrghghghghg I want it so bad

But I'll be gone and without stable access for at least a couple weeks next month :(

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    See if I can't tweak my avatar better this time.

and not spend over HALF the game waiting for my stupid legion to heal

MrBody on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »

I mean, you didn't pick Sloth, totally live up to it, turtle dramatically, then get creamed by events and rolled, so...

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Auralynx wrote: »

I mean, you didn't pick Sloth, totally live up to it, turtle dramatically, then get creamed by events and rolled, so...

I'm wishing that the perks were somehow separate from the points system, like you get to pick 1 free perk and taking a negative one lets you pick a 2nd. You could have a lot of fun with perks, but I think 90% of them just aren't worth investing the points in them over stats or rank.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Or here would be a neat solution: keep the costs of perks the same so that they're sub-optimal to stats/rank, but then allow players to pick perks after map creation. You trade optimal power for flexibility. So many of the perks are insanely situational that I can only ever imagine taking them after seeing the map setup.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I have no idea how to play this; Would I be absolutely rolled?

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    I have no idea how to play this; Would I be absolutely rolled?

Its actually fairly difficult to get completely rolled. You can get in a position where you can't really win, but waging war is surprisingly difficult.
    I'd never played it before either, and I won the last game! That said, there are a lot of rules and interconnecting systems and it can take a little while for it to click. I think everyone in the last game made mistakes where something was misunderstood - or simply wasn't documented (patch notes don't count!) I found myself constantly going back to the manual to double-check if something would actually work like I thought it would!

I'd advise having a quick read of the manual and the wiki to get you up to speed.
    If you do already have the game I'd also recommend trying a single-player game using one of the new player guides off the wiki. The multi-player game is very different, there's a lot more diplomacy and back-stabbing which the AI kinda ignores, but it should get you a grip on the basics.

• Options
    I've never seen the AI issue a single demand or insult, which is a pretty huge part of the game to ignore.

• Options
    I'm away with work for a few days and then will kick this off when I get back, so probably on the weekend. If you want to join in, speak now!

@discrider if you're in I'll need an email.

For the rest of us, what game setup preferences shall we go for?

What type of map should we play?
    From the wiki: Great Rivers tends to be more open. Acheron's Locks has many small areas. Dante's peak has a large mountain and chasms to channel conflict. The Lake of Fire is also open, but adds a special place of power, The Palace on the Lake of Fire, which grants +1 order slot, in addition to prestige.
    I'd vote not the Lake of Fire but otherwise randomise it.

Game length?
    I vote still short but would accept medium if people wanted it.

Census?
    I vote yes but have no strong feelings on the matter.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I'm okay with not-the-lake, definitely in favor of Short, and the Census should be on.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Mountains! Lots of mountains!

Short would probably be best - that last game started to drag and it was only the 'last few turns' panic that caused it to get interesting again.
    Prefer not census, but if people prefer it then I can live with it.

• Options
    Yeah no to the map with the +1 order palace. Too snowball.

NO SNOW IN HELL

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Still looking for players?

If I'm in, I'll vote for short length, no map preference, aside from not the lake of fire, and super mega yes on the census. Poor horseman got screwed pretty hard last time I played because we didn't have it.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    I vote yes on census. It helps out players going with a head start strategy over the long term charisma heavy strategy, which is a little too good as it is.

• Options
    Invites are out. We're on Dante's Peak, a normal sized map and we have a full house.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I do request that recognisable avatar names in relation to forum names makes life much easier for everyone.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    So you're saying creating a new avatar with the name 'MrBody' to confuse everyone isn't an allowable tactic?

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I do request that recognisable avatar names in relation to forum names makes life much easier for everyone.

RIP AssholePrime

• Options
    Capfalcon wrote: »

RIP AssholePrime

If it had the word 'captain' or 'falcon' or similar in there, you can have as many assholes as you like!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Capfalcon wrote: »

RIP AssholePrime

If it had the word 'captain' or 'falcon' or similar in there, you can have as many assholes as you like!

I feel like 95% sure he has to take Lust as an objective for that. Or maybe Gluttony.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Oh dear, I wasn't subscribed to this thread for some reason.

I joined the game as Yakobaghur which is intended to be. . . sort of recognizable as derived from my user name?

• Options
    We're off! Not had a chance to examine the map much beyond seeing my starting legion has its usual luck with random generation.

Charge - 'Add three to Melee damage during the first round of combat challenges if the Legion is able to inflict Melee damage on its opponent.'

Melee stat - 1

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    And so it begins....

And whats this on my starting legion? 8 ranged and Mountain walk? That'll do.

'looks for MrBody's starting position'

BigBadWolf on
  • Options
    BigBadWolf wrote: »
    And so it begins....

What the fuck I thought my legion was pretty decent with its 5 ranged and melee, and mountain walk.

Are you making deals with actual devils.

• Options
    In fairness, I've got a pretty shitty range of places of power within easy range (ie. near mountains). You've got a +2 prestige and a +2 deceit roll near you!

Plus the only way to Pandemonium is through at least 1 other player.
    kg1aho4t1552.jpg

Red = Me (Wolf)
    Green = Jam Warrior
    Yellow = Capfalcon
    Blue = MrBody
    Purple = Yakobagger
    Orange = Auralynx.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    jakobagger wrote: »
    BigBadWolf wrote: »
    And so it begins....

What the fuck I thought my legion was pretty decent with its 5 ranged and melee, and mountain walk.

Are you making deals with actual devils.

If he is, it was at my expense as well, though at least mine's not awful.

I seem to recall I started Game 1 with a pretty beefy one before an angel jacked it up.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Ssshhh.... don't mention the angels!

• Options
    Marquis seems to be the hot rank this year.

Nobody gets to complain about starting legions when I get the bottom loaded 1-3-5 again.

• Options
    Don't give us that Mr Slothful Body - Lord of hell :P
    I wonder where have you been stashing all those points?

• Options
    Your charisma heavy build last game taught me a lot!

• Options
    Looking at the starting legions - I think everyone may have gone charisma heavy!

• Options
    Also, I didn't check earlier, but congrats on all taking a different picture this time, guys.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Your charisma heavy build last game taught me a lot!

I think I started with more charisma, but I guess my mistake was not using all that tribute to boost my stats.

Also you know, playing badly in general.

• Options
    So the lesson I should learn is attack everyone before you starting investing all that tribute? I'll get right on that...