As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Epic World Building

2»

• RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If there's still any space, I am so on board. This would be effing cool.

Rend on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    The PB wiki I am setting up is pennyarcadeworldbuilding.

minigunwielder on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How'd I miss this thread? If there's no limit on players, I'll definitely jump in.

Otherwise, I'd be willing to help out with the Wiki. I have some weird fetish for keeping track of the mythology these games create.

Shamus on
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Basically exactly what Shamus said. Player if there's still space, or wiki work if not.

Because I'm not going to lie. This sounds awesome.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    the password is the usual PA password, with a descriptor before it.

minigunwielder on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Huh, this isn't even off the ground and already the project had out-lived its creator. Fancy that. :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "Once again, Dr. Jones, we see there is nothing you posess that I cannot take away."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmmm, I logged in and it didn't ask me for a password.
    Which is good, because I don't know what "the usual PA password" is.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's "wang".

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2007
    What's the link for the wiki?

Edit: Nm, found it.

Shamus on
  • snixsnix Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll either be a player or work on the wiki.

snix on
    "I've always viewed the ability to band together at the worst of times a strong point for humanity and yet, once the need for others is gone (or at least seems to be) so is the unity"
    edited October 2007
    It's "wang".

I am humbled and ashamed. Am I to assume the descriptor is "epic" ?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    Okay, Pony is DM'ing like three campaigns at once, which makes me feel like a pussy for not attempting to do two at the same time.

So I will be starting this soon.

I will have an OP later today.

Was thinking about this in the shower this morning, and I would like to have a 3rd party (neither DM nor players) to settle any Rules Disputes that may come up. I get lost in the vast errata attached to dnd, and sometimes remember things incorrectly or have become accustomed to some of my own odd little houserule mannerisms that have developed over time. So, I need a watchdog to keep us honest because I'm going to be trying to play "rules as written", enforced by the Core Rulebooks, the SRD, and errata.

Alexan Drite, you have expressed interest in this and you always seem to have a good handle on the rules, and I'd like to ask if you'd be comfortable with that. If you're not interested I may try to get DA in here on this one. If anyone can think of other persons suitable to be the Kennesaw Mountain Landis of the ruleset, I'd appreciate it.

What he says will be the correct interpretation of the rules, and then I as the DM will figure out how to square up if we've screwed it up. This probably won't happen until like the second or third chapter of the adventure after you've spent some time rooting around in dungeons or hunting Gnolls (or Beastmen, or whatever the players end up calling them) and such until they come across a greater plot arc.

Also: my working name for our campaign world and adventure

The Lost Chronicles of Odam: The Names of Old

This is of course in homage to the forum name that was...

...but what, in in-game terms, "Odam" is and what the "Names of Old" are is totally up to the players whenever they begin to stumble across/through/instigate some sort of plot.

For example, the Bard rolls a Bardic Knowledge Check of 20. This means he has some special knowledge about the mysterious "Names of Old" and can come up with it right then and there... leaving the wiki contributors to go "shit!" and then make a page called "The Names of Old" and add some flavor to whatever the Bard said at that point.

Anywho... if anyone has some other idea names let me know.

I will have an OP up by this afternoon explaining what the deal is, who has claimed spots and what roles they are in, and how it is to be played. We'll have to stumble through the particulars of a "make it up as you go along" campaign as the OOC and IC threads unfold, and I think this sort of improvisation will actually make it more fun.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Wow, and to think I made one of my infrequent visits back here just in time to catch the Startening. I'm ever so excited.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I had a ton of fun doing this the last time we did the world building thing. I had a pretty decent knack for coming up with monsters, if I may be so unhumble.

I have a rather busy schedule, so, my contributions will be sparse, but, when I find the time I'll definitely go for it.

Inquisitor on
    edited October 2007
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm a little late to this party it seems.

While I wouldn't be able to play I've always got a few ideas for monsters or locations on the back burner. Is that the kind of thing you're looking for people to contribute to the wiki or is that limited to players?

SUPERSUGA on
    edited October 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »

While I wouldn't be able to play I've always got a few ideas for monsters or locations on the back burner. Is that the kind of thing you're looking for people to contribute to the wiki or is that limited to players?

As far as I can tell, a player can say "My hometown was destroyed by a wild Shoggoth" and then we as the wiki people can make up what a "Shoggoth" is.

Inquisitor on
    edited October 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

As far as I can tell, a player can say "My hometown was destroyed by a wild Shoggoth" and then we as the wiki people can make up what a "Shoggoth" is.

They have tame Shoggoths? Shudder. I hope no one mentions dire Shoggoths.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007

Dude. I made the term Shoggoth up off the top of my head. A quick google search has left me a gibbering wreck. D:

Inquisitor on
    edited October 2007

Well a player says something like: Careful lads, the Pass of Garak's Head is known to be absolutely rife with Wild Khargoths.

So the wiki contributor who makes the page "Wild Kargoths" or "The Pass of Garak's Head" gets to decide what they are, since the PC didn't elaborate on that. This will bring some of your back-burner ideas up to the front.

And the DM is the third leg on that table who decides how best to implement the developed ideas.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh I see.

That makes a lot of sense.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited October 2007

Dude. I made the term Shoggoth up off the top of my head. A quick google search has left me a gibbering wreck. D:

Yes.

Few can survive gazing upon the Internetronomicon.

It's like looking into SE++, but with fewer dongs.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Can I contribute to the wiki, or play, or something?

Legoman05 on
    edited October 2007
    I think I have you down as a contributor into the OP.

Also: UPDATED POST 5

And of course its TL;DR... just skim it and you'll get the idea. Roster is also up on the 2nd post of the page.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited October 2007
    OK, wow. This wiki is crap. I was going to buy some hosting soon anyway - I could get something and set up PMwiki - which would be far more fantabulous. It behaves a lot more like wikipedia, none of this 'create a new page, now go to that page, now do the hokey pokey type stuff.' Instead, you just create a link to the page that will eventually exist, and the first person to click that link gets the edit screen and gets to make the link.

I can even drop a .htaccess file in it and make it semi-private.

Is that the sort of interweb-magics that we were referring to?

Legoman05 on
    edited October 2007
    Legoman05 wrote: »
    OK, wow. This wiki is crap. I was going to buy some hosting soon anyway - I could get something and set up PMwiki - which would be far more fantabulous. It behaves a lot more like wikipedia, none of this 'create a new page, now go to that page, now do the hokey pokey type stuff.' Instead, you just create a link to the page that will eventually exist, and the first person to click that link gets the edit screen and gets to make the link.

I can even drop a .htaccess file in it and make it semi-private.

Is that the sort of interweb-magics that we were referring to?

I usually make links and then pages in pbwiki by doing exactly what you have bolded there.

but still... if PMwiki is superior and a bit more secure against "e-vandalism"...

well, sir... thank you for being our newest Wiki Administrator!

because the game won't start for a while yet, no hurries in getting the wiki up right away.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Nevermind, I just poked around a bit more and it looks pretty spiffy and neat. I've made a proper sidebar and took off that blasted 'getting started' page.

Plus this is free.

EDIT: I've also created a statblock template - so shoe after these guys have owned some fool, you can post their data on the page so it's available for future generations.

Legoman05 on
    edited October 2007
    Legoman05 wrote: »
    Nevermind, I just poked around a bit more and it looks pretty spiffy and neat. I've made a proper sidebar and took off that blasted 'getting started' page.

Plus this is free.

Even better.

Thank you!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited October 2007
    It's lookin good, Legoman. :^:

Shamus on
    edited October 2007

Internet.

minigunwielder on